Author Topic: Paragon Market Article Structure  (Read 7267 times)

Cannonfodder

• Lieutenant
Paragon Market Article Structure
« on: September 21, 2011, 10:34:48 PM »
Proposal:  We start out with an article for each item exactly as it is listed and titled by Paragon Studios on the market.  Either the Paragon Market article or possibly a new Paragon Market Listing article will provide the master list to jump to any item on the market.

Thesis:  Having an article for each item allows us to track changes to each item easily.

Article Structure:

[[File:|right]]
==Overview==
* xxx [[Paragon Point]] Cost

<short description here from in-game Paragon Market from the 4 items/page listing>

==Description==
<longer description here from in-game Paragon Market single item view>
{{clr}}

==Availability==  -new banners similar to reward merit, alignment merit, astral merit banners-
{{VIP}}
{{Paragon Rewards|Reward Level 6}}

==Images==
Promotional Images, Screenshots of Costume Pieces, etc.
<gallery>
File:
</gallery>

==Historical==
*This item was made available on the [[Paragon Market]] on xx-xx-2011
*This item was previously part of XXX Booster
*This item was on sale from xx-xx-xxxx until xx-xx-xxxx for xxx Paragon Points
*This item was removed from the Paragon Market on xx-xx-xxxx

==Known Issues== (if needed)
{{bug}}

==See Also==
*Main Article (if it exists/is needed)
*Costume Bundle (if needed)
*x1, x2, x3, x5 bundle, etc.
*Patch Notes relevant to this item

==External Links==
*City of Heroes Freedom site announcing new item
*City of Heroes Freedom site announcing sale

[[Category:Paragon Market]][[Category:Articles Missing Images]]

Thoughts?
--Jason
@Cannonfodder
Victory:  Cannonfodder 50 Inv/SS
Virtue:  Pravda 50 Bots/FF
The Hall of Justice/The Hall of Doom /chanjoin "Victory Badges" /chanjoin "Virtue Badges"

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
Re: Paragon Market Article Structure
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 11:00:25 PM »
Each item type, yes (e.g. Mission Architect Story Slot)...each individual item, no (e.g. Mission Architect Story Slot x1, x2, x5). That needlessly clutters the wiki with pages that will look exactly the same except for a few numbers. I've already formatted the Paragon Market page to go with this style instead of the style you proposed. I don't feel it requires any kind of discussion on it, since it's to reduce effectively-identical pages on the wiki.

The general layout you give is decent. Tweaks will happen over time.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 11:09:34 PM »
...since it's to reduce effectively-identical pages on the wiki.

I'd have to say that some items, with this justification, don't need their own pages at all.  For example, Character Slots.  Do we really need a separate article from the one that currently exists?  The Character Slots purchased from the market are the same as "regular" slots (I would argue that they are regular slots) and don't need their own page.

That being said, incorporating the info storyteller has into existing articles would be great, and using the format/info for new pages as needed is a great way to make them.

Another example: do we really want every costume piece to have its own page?  I would say a page per set, like http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Valkyrie_Costume_Pieces , with Paragon Market info added as needed and formatted for looking goodness, would serve.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Cannonfodder

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 12:25:52 AM »
Each item type, yes (e.g. Mission Architect Story Slot)...each individual item, no (e.g. Mission Architect Story Slot x1, x2, x5). That needlessly clutters the wiki with pages that will look exactly the same except for a few numbers.

I'd like to make a case for individual articles for each item.

Advantage:  Less ambiguity
Disadvantage:  Similar pages

I can imagine bugs, sales, images, price changes, description changes, availability changes and more all affecting one item but not another similar item.

My goal is to make the PM item pages as flexible to future changes as possible.  I don't know what items are coming in the future.  By having individual pages, we can adapt if one item of a set changes radically.

--Jason
@Cannonfodder
The Hall of Justice/The Hall of Doom /chanjoin "Victory Badges" /chanjoin "Virtue Badges"

Cannonfodder

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 12:33:14 AM »
I'd have to say that some items, with this justification, don't need their own pages at all.  For example, Character Slots.  Do we really need a separate article from the one that currently exists?  The Character Slots purchased from the market are the same as "regular" slots (I would argue that they are regular slots) and don't need their own page.

I actually think much of the relevant info from parent articles could be redistributed/reworded to the Paragon Market item articles.  To put it another way, once we have the Paragon Market Item articles to hold the details, the parent articles can be stripped to essentials.
--Jason
@Cannonfodder

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 02:45:47 AM »
I actually think much of the relevant info from parent articles could be redistributed/reworded to the Paragon Market item articles.  To put it another way, once we have the Paragon Market Item articles to hold the details, the parent articles can be stripped to essentials.

But what makes a Character Slot (in this example) bought from the market any different from another character slot?  A character slot is a character slot.  There's no real difference between the default 12 slots per server, and additional purchased slots.  The only "difference" is that some are purchased for Paragon Points, something which can easily be noted in a subsection within the existing Character Slots article.  Also, character slots could formerly be purchased from the store, and the Character Slot article operated just fine containing all the store information.

I'm operating under a "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality here.  I feel that if there is an existing article that could contain Paragon Market info just as well as a separate article, why create a whole new article?  Many of these new articles will be self-referencing anyways, with links, redirects, and "See Also"s.

Let's examine slots closer.  How exactly would the information in the current Character Slot article be distributed to "Character Slot x1", "Character Slot x2", and "Character Slot x5" articles?  Right now, the current Character Slot article contains everything you would need to know about character slots.  Would you really want to create a page, that said nearly the same thing, except for "you can buy one of these in the Paragon Market"?  And then a second page, that, again, said the same thing, except "you can buy five of these in the Market"?

Alternatively, would you really want a little stub of an article, that said "This items provides five [[Character Slot]]s, and costs __"?  And two more articles, with little more than a single sentence and a link to the main page?  I say it would make much more sense to have the link from the Paragon Market article go straight to the Character Slot page, and contain a section or sub-section about market items and pricing there, rather than duplicating articles or creating articles so small and that link to the main page anyways, making them, in my view, effectively pointless space-wasters.

Again, I have to reiterate, it's a good idea for some items, but in cases like Character Slots, or Respec Tokens, or Server Transfers, or Archetypes*, items which have existed before and which already have perfectly solid articles, I can't agree with a whole new page for each one.

*I hadn't even thought about archetypes.  How exactly will a whole new page for these work?  MUCH better to just say, on the main archetype page, something like "This archetype is restricted to ___ Reward level or purchase in the Market for ___ Points."  Heck, just add a line to the archetype infobox giving info as to its requirements for playing.  No new article needed.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 06:28:41 AM »
Paragon Wiki and its editors have, in the past, shown preference to having a consolidated location for information, with brief articles to give an overview of pieces described in the consolidated overview.

With reference to the Market pieces, you aren't actually purchasing different items - you are purchasing the same item in differing amounts, with a price discount for buying more at a time. It may be listed on the Market as different items, but the function of it is the same: buy Character Slot x1 and you are granted 1 Global Character Slot Token; buy Character Slots x5 and you are granted 5 Global Character Slot Tokens. If one quantity-purchasable item is bugged, it can be noted on the item page that only the one quantity is bugged and the others function properly.

And for a specific non-Market already-existent example: "Man in Black" and "Woman in Black" are the same badge, with different names; one is the article and the other is a redirect. We don't have two articles with identical content except for gender.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

ScottyB

• Minion
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 09:36:44 AM »
Hi guys! Sorry to sort of just appear all of a sudden.

I came here because I was looking for information on Store-Bought Enhancements and found that section blank on the Paragon Market article. That really bugged me. So I went and made a Store-Bought Enhancements article. And finished it: all the sets, with their prices. (Fun fact: Karma:KB Protection is the only individual SBE that costs more than 100 points, and its set deviates from the usual price for a set of 3 too.)

I left the WIP tag on the article because I made a template for the table, and it calculates the USD/Euro/GBP price based on the points parameter. Unfortunately the currency templates don't seem to be on ParagonWiki (yet! although I don't know if expr can be passed to it...), so some values end up being $1.2 instead of $1.20. I'll see about trying to fix that, but not for a few days probably. That's also why I didn't change the Paragon Market article to use my PMarket Row template yet, although I did change the heading to use PMarket Start.

I hope it's a good start, and that you don't mind me being bold!

Edit: I added the Format Price template from Wikipedia and it's all good now with regards to currency. I suppose it's OK to use my PMarket Row template in the Paragon Market article now?

Agge edit: Fixing ScottyB's links.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 05:39:38 PM by Aggelakis »