Author Topic: Main Page redesign  (Read 48512 times)

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
Re: Main Page redesign
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2011, 05:12:50 AM »
made a stab at merging and condensing the about/helping sections (this uses Sekoia's Main_Page_Four that brings the popular destinations up out of the left column at lower resolutions)
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

taosin

• Boss
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2011, 06:00:47 AM »
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 06:16:03 AM by taosin »

taosin

• Boss
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2011, 07:33:44 AM »
Looking at Agge's demo:

I liked the old graphic shown on the front page in the about section, as it had colour and movement.

my thoughts:

I am strongly against just having the CoH:LF logo on the front page, as it looks too much like branding and an official endorsement to me; (and (this again my view only!) too 'corporate'.

Just putting this here for feedback and thoughts?

I'd prefer a similar image to the old one on the new front page.

Took a wallpaper, and did some work, resulting in:

http://paragonwiki.com/w/images//3/35/PwikilogoB450x100.jpg
http://paragonwiki.com/w/images//a/a9/PwikilogoB200x44.jpg

I very slightly accented the edges to maintain sharpness at smaller scale.

the original graphic is was replacing was native 443 x 95 px. These two are 450px x 100 and 200 x 44.

This lets the front page use it without scaling a larger image, i guess.

Do have a preferenence for no border and no rounded edges on grapgics like this on the front page, the small size does not warrant it (unless a one point outline!)

An example of the large one at 350 px is http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/User:Taosin/Sandbox/pwikiabout
An example of the 200px version is at http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/User:Taosin/Sandbox/Main_Page

Very prepared here to keep changing front page graphics as the game evolves!

edit: oh i guess i can show'em here!

native 200px version:

native 450px version

And 200px with stroke:
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 07:41:53 AM by taosin »

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2011, 08:20:33 AM »
There isn't a strong consensus but I get the impression that this option has the broadest appeal: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/User:Sekoia/Sandbox/Main_Page_Four
And nobody sounds like they'll be overly upset by it. So unless there are any strong objections, I'll plan to update the Main Page with this within the new few days.

I just updated the Main Page with this design.

taosin

• Boss
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2011, 08:47:44 AM »
Love it!

Also updated my sandboxything to see how it'd look with the diff. stab at the Welcome/help:

On the new SekV4 page it looks like this:
http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/User:Taosin/Sandbox/Main_Page2

The tao-esque-take on the Welcome/About is at http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/User:Taosin/Sandbox/pwikiabout

Not liking the real World hero gif, seems dodgy; am seeing if I can make a much cleaner one for 125x125px.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2011, 08:56:11 AM »
Not liking the real World hero gif, seems dodgy; am seeing if I can make a much cleaner one for 125x125px.
What does this even mean? You're going to create a new RWH gif?

RWH is a charity event that runs every holiday season, they're the ones that supplied the banner/logo. That is their logo, so if you cannot reproduce it pretty much 100% faithfully, I respectfully request you to not do it at all.

Additionally, regarding your proposed about/help section: it looks messy and fairly unprofessional. I am not much of a fan.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2011, 08:58:36 AM »
Thoughts on the About overhaul...

On the whole, I like Agge's revisions. Further thoughts below mostly are using her revisions as a basis.

I'm inclined to drop the reference to Wanted Pages. I doubt many people ever go there to create new pages. I also don't think it's a very user-friendly way to jump into the wiki.

I think it could be valuable to make some reference to the wiki having been started in 2005. Possible points of inclusion:
- "Since 2005, the Paragon Wiki has been a central repository of all things that have to do with NCsoft's City of Heroes..."
- "Paragon Wiki has been an ad-free site since it's creation in 2005. If you find the wiki valuable..."

It looks like Agge dropped the references to the community portal and the Titan forums (ie the "Talk and more..." section). I am fine with that. Both of those are linked in the left-hand navigation column.

The CoH Freedom logo looks a bit too... I dunno, big? bold? However, I also don't really care for the image shown on Toasin's demo either. Do we really even need a logo/image? I think it looks better without.

I'm not sure what you intend, but the Real World charity drive ends December 31, so it's probably not worth spending time on it regardless at this point.

taosin

• Boss
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2011, 10:16:27 AM »
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 11:10:39 AM by Sekoia »

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2011, 11:09:51 AM »

taosin

• Boss
« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2011, 01:22:25 PM »
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 01:42:47 PM by taosin »

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2011, 07:53:49 PM »

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss

taosin

• Boss
« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2011, 07:10:42 AM »
ooooohhhh. i like too  :>

Personally love it, so happy for it to go live.

Only quibble (and this is very much personal taste and can be happily ignored) is 'Ad Free Fan Site' as a heading. Well, yes it is! But would prefer the heading to be more direct as to what the text below is doing, which is asking for donations. My personal take is that would suit the tone of the site better.

ie headings more direct such as:
Help keep the wiki ad free!
Can you help keep the wiki ad free
etc.

If that was adopted, the first sentence would change to something like "Paragon Wiki is a fan-site and has been ad-free..."

Final (promise!) quibble is that by defining it as a fan site here, then I kind of think that it shouldealso have 'fan site' mentioned in the first para of the About, somewhere.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 07:18:55 AM by taosin »

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2012, 07:20:00 PM »
Srsly, what's "Most Recent" supposed to be? It hasn't changed since the last time this thread touched on it.

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2012, 09:38:49 PM »
According to the Quick Reference template, it appears to be a manually-updated list.  I like the thought of having a list automagically populated with, say, the newest new articles (not edits), but having to do it manually makes it almost not worth having.

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2012, 10:47:29 PM »
Srsly, what's "Most Recent" supposed to be? It hasn't changed since the last time this thread touched on it.

Since it's apparently not clear and you don't like it, how about suggesting something better? Evidently you're not alone in finding it confusing, so a change would be warranted if someone thinks of something better to put there.

I like the thought of having a list automagically populated with, say, the newest new articles (not edits), but having to do it manually makes it almost not worth having.

Automatic generation sounds nice in theory but in practice I feel it would give us inconsistent results. Take a look through Special:NewPages. Some of the new pages are great candidates for the front page maybe... but others, not so much.

Plus, I looked to see if DPL could do this and, to my surprise, I couldn't find anything that suggests it can. (Of course, it's possible I'm just overlooking it.)

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2012, 11:09:42 PM »
Since it's apparently not clear and you don't like it, how about suggesting something better?

"Better" would require knowing what it is in the first place. As far as I know, it's accurate just the way it is.

Who put it there? What do they say it is?

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2012, 11:40:50 PM »
"Better" would require knowing what it is in the first place. As far as I know, it's accurate just the way it is.

Who put it there? What do they say it is?

If it's not working, then better would be something that works. That doesn't require knowing. :P Pretend there's a big empty gap there instead; what would you put there?

As I said before, Agge put it there originally. So she's the only one who can authoritatively answer what it's intended for.

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2012, 11:49:13 PM »
Well, I kinda like what's in there--market stuff. If something's reflected in the news section I don't see why it couldn't also go into there. Discounts, new items, etc... Whatever's featured should be listed first in that box.

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2012, 11:57:48 PM »
Well, I kinda like what's in there--market stuff. If something's reflected in the news section I don't see why it couldn't also go into there. Discounts, new items, etc... Whatever's featured should be listed first in that box.

So how about "Featured" for a title?