Author Topic: Main Page redesign  (Read 48505 times)

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
Re: Main Page redesign
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2012, 02:27:18 AM »
It's just a quicklist of new market stuff. Sales and "featured but not new" shouldn't go in there IMO, not enough space (a limit of 5 features). So far it has been new stuff on the market that warrants an entire article. Doesn't mean it can't be a deeper link to a subsection of a page for something new on the market (e.g. Vanity Pets#Snowbeast, or whatever) but I haven't been using it that way so far. I haven't updated it in a while because to be honest I have been in a galaxy far, far away and haven't paid attention to the market features the last couple weeks. I am not 100% sure what is NEW and what is a rehash of stuff we already have somewhere else or has already been linked.

I don't care what it's called, I just put something that was short. "Featured" sounds fine, "New on the Market" sounds fine, it's all gravy.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2012, 03:02:29 AM »
How about "On the Market"? That lets us stray from strictly new stuff if needed. Plus it's a bit shorter, which is important for the headings.

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2012, 03:11:01 AM »
The items I just listed on that section were what I found to be the most recent pages created on the Wiki, using a bit of actual logic to avoid counting new talk pages, templates, and the like.  The title "Most Recent" gave me no indication that they were supposed to be new items on the Paragon Market rather than just new to the Wiki - they just happened to be related to that.  In my mind, we'd not want to limit ourselves to only using it for market-related items, so we could see new contacts, zones, game systems, whatever, that are "most recently" added to the Wiki as a whole, or significantly updated.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2012, 03:43:59 AM »
Without any further commentary about the About changes, I implemented the new stuff on the front page. Now people can edit wording and tweak stuff without worrying about stepping on my userspace :p

----

I can see using the column as an "everything goes here" list, but honestly the biggest things I see most people asking about in game and on the forums is new market stuff.

Also, IMO I don't think anything should go there that's not available on the real servers. In your update, you added Archetype Enhancements which are only available on the beta server. IMO that shouldn't be there yet and would like to pose a restriction on beta stuff (especially since beta stuff can completely change - or be removed entirely).
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2012, 04:06:50 AM »
I agree with not listing stuff that's only on beta, so I've changed the list for that.

For the market stuff, though, most everything that's new should already be covered by the current news items listed on the front page.  Since those are up for multiple weeks at a time, and people can also go back through the easily-notated Archived News, I don't see the need to specifically duplicate them for just a five-item list.  It's fine if they happen to be the most recent work done for articles, but I don't think it should be an exclusive list.

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2012, 05:48:13 AM »
Would "New and Featured" work as a heading for that section, then? It's purposely a bit ambiguous. We're generally putting new articles about new content in that list. Whether it's new or not, we're featuring it by putting it there.

taosin

• Boss
« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2012, 06:42:08 AM »
I like "Featured" - just that one word. (edit: in preference to "new and Featured", I consider the 'new' redundant in the context below)

It's clear at any time by looking at the links under it what we are featuring, and it's ambiguous enough that we could choose to feature whatever we like at any given time.

Agree no need to put market stuff here. If there's a perceived need to list the most recent market additions, why not train folks to use the Paragon Market Page and have a dpl/magic bit at the top that indeed does recent markets pages? Am sure folks would love to have one spot they could link to for the market and go from there to whatever market bits the wiki has documented?

For example, when I22 arrives, i could see 'Featured" running links for Dark Astoria, Staff Fighting, Stalker Changes, Known issues (!), etc. The 'hot topics' that are hot for a couple of months after each release?

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2012, 10:20:30 AM »
Honestly I think we should remove the Known Issues page, many of those have been fixed by now, some of them are confirmed to be "working" (not necessarily as designed, but just "how it works") and it's no longer being maintained...and the article will keep getting bigger and bigger and bigger if it's maintained, since instead of just removing fixed issues, they just get dropped down to a fixed section that will continue to get longer and longer as more stuff is added to the top and issues are fixed.

Maybe simply link to the official known issues page (which admittedly isn't all the known issues, but let's be honest with ourselves again - we don't maintain minutiae like that very well here).

I adamantly refuse to not list market stuff there, because the whole *POINT* of a quick reference section is that you get to the hot bits fast - and the market stuff is pretty much always hot bits. I don't mind acceding to including non-market stuff in there but to advocate removing market stuff outright from there is kind of silly. New stuff is new stuff, featured stuff is featured, no matter what the source of it is.

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

taosin

• Boss
« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2012, 01:28:47 PM »
Agge, (how's that cold?) I adamantly refuse to not list market stuff there, because the whole *POINT* of a quick reference section is that you get to the hot bits fast - and the market stuff is pretty much always hot bits. I don't mind acceding to including non-market stuff in there but to advocate removing market stuff outright from there is kind of silly. New stuff is new stuff, featured stuff is featured, no matter what the source of it is.

With regards to http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Known_issues, yes, I would strongly support this being deprecated and replaced by a definition style page. That page should have the link to the official known issues page, and possibly a link to the official forum sections where known issues are also reported (to either the forum or to the current thread, which is huge).

It should (I hope) also direct players to lodge issues not seen in those places via the appropriate NCsoft mechanism. This is important! (IMHO), the more VIP andf others who lodge tickets for issues the better the outcome. (I have 48 tickets since Nov 2011, a couple later made it to known issues and resolution, I am sure because many folks ticketed it this way).

With listing/not listing market stuff. Well, how about calling that blob featured, and mainly using it for market stuff, and have the privilege of using it for other featured at times?

Now, looking ahead, all i can see in an increasing rate of new market items being put to market over time. Because good market items generate cash for NCsoft. Are we ready for that, in the sense of more effort over time being needed to keep pace? I can see recent focus on the AT specific sets as an example.

I'd prefer to see a permanent link to the wiki 'section' about Paragon Market in the left hand nav pane, as well, or at least moot that as a possibility. I note the left hand Nav pane seems to be able to be added to without increasing visual clutter or decreasing clarity. It is significantly shorter than the main part of the page. And if the paragon market continues to grow in prominence, at some point (maybe now? Placing a market blob in the nav pane could/should make sense?

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2012, 03:01:17 PM »
I adamantly refuse to not list market stuff there, because the whole *POINT* of a quick reference section is that you get to the hot bits fast - and the market stuff is pretty much always hot bits. I don't mind acceding to including non-market stuff in there but to advocate removing market stuff outright from there is kind of silly. New stuff is new stuff, featured stuff is featured, no matter what the source of it is.

I would vote for titling the section "Recently Updated."  "New" is redundant for market items because they'll be indicated in the News section, and "Featured" is redundant because, well, we've already decided its featured because its listed there.  Using "Recently Updated" is general enough that it can include both significant new and newly modified articles, regardless of market or non-market status, and it gives people an idea as to what areas are getting some attention lately without having to sift through hundreds of updates on the Recent Changes page.  Granted, most of that content will likely relate to the market during the lulls between issues.

taosin

• Boss
« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2012, 12:03:13 AM »
Blondeshell: "New" is redundant for market items because they'll be indicated in the News section, and "Featured" is redundant because, well, we've already decided its featured because its listed there. 

Agree 'new' is redundant. Featured is not (IMHO) because it accurately describes that we (the wiki) are featuring these, for whatever reason! And agree with you and Agge that usually this may be market items.

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2012, 12:38:16 AM »
I'm not sure I like "Recently Updated". But I could live with it.

Maybe "Recent Highlights"? "Of Recent Interest"? "Recommended"? "Editors' Picks"? "Editors' Choice"?

"Stuff We'd Like To Think You Might Possibly Want To Read About"?  :o

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2012, 12:47:43 AM »
I'm sort of leaning toward "Featured Articles" or something like that.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #73 on: January 08, 2012, 01:45:11 AM »
Could save ourselves the trouble and just call it "Least Recent"

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #74 on: January 08, 2012, 03:29:35 AM »
Guy, if you don't have anything to add, shut up.

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #75 on: January 08, 2012, 03:29:59 AM »
Featured Articles is good, Editor's Picks is good too.

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #76 on: January 08, 2012, 06:58:05 PM »
Guy, if you don't have anything to add, shut up.

The humor is lost on this one, Mr. President.