Author Topic: "Statesman. 1896 - 2012. RIP."  (Read 2153 times)

Noobian Prince

• Underling
"Statesman. 1896 - 2012. RIP."
« on: December 20, 2011, 06:26:37 AM »
When I first read that I thought "Jack Emmert is dead?"

(Yes, I know.  Jack wasn't born in 1896 and 2012 hasn't happened yet.)

It's kinda funny, though, that you can feel a connection to someone you've never met.  I don't think I ever even read a forum post by Jack, let alone had any direct contact.  What little I know of him in connection with this game comes from others and most of that was negative.  Yet I still had that momentary twinge you get when someone you "know" is dead.

Anyway. . . .

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
Re: "Statesman. 1896 - 2012. RIP."
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 06:29:00 PM »
City of Heroes was Jack's idea, and a lot of stuff still in place today was because of decisions that he made. City of Heroes, while the media doesn't tend to touch on it, is one of the most influential games out there and it was unquestionably the forerunner in the causal-friendly online game space.

What Jack did to upset a lot of people is what Matt's teetering on doing now: he tried to force players to play his way. Is a Power Set being used in an unexpected manner? Nerf it. Are people farming a particular enemy for easier/faster rewards? Nerf 'em (Prisoners come to mind). And we'll have to wait and see what happens with: Are people grinding Threads in Dark Astoria instead of Incarnate Trials? Nerf it.

Still, when it comes right down to it, I'm thankful that we've had both Jack Emmert and Matt Miller working on this game, and I'm very excited to see where it will go in the future.