Author Topic: SOPA: Who stood their ground and who didn't on teh nets.  (Read 5190 times)

WanderingAries

• Elite Boss
  • @WanderingAries /\ Mostly on Torch
SOPA: Who stood their ground and who didn't on teh nets.
« on: January 18, 2012, 11:34:15 PM »
I noticed that Titan was the first site I went to early this morning that actually fully blacked out, but it was a while before I noticed something different on google (name blacked out). What I found funny though was that Facebook caved in after word on the internet about SOPA supposedly off the tables and left their site up even though I'd heard they were one of those participating. I don't think I've been to redit and some of the others who were participating, but I did hear about a third bill in the works that is more clearly defined and supported by tech guru's.
Find me on Homecoming:
https://www.homecomingservers.com

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
Re: SOPA: Who stood their ground and who didn't on teh nets.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 11:53:30 PM »
The third bill is a possible alternative to SOPA and PIPA.  It's called the OPEN Act.  A lot of the same sites opposing SOPA are supporting OPEN.

But OPEN is raising eyebrows, too.  Mostly because it represents a form of open-sourcing legislation.

CNN blog post
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

WanderingAries

• Elite Boss
  • @WanderingAries /\ Mostly on Torch
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 07:28:54 PM »
Yeah, that's the third thing I was reading about...The founding proposals are being made by actual tech-heads from what I remember.
Find me on Homecoming:
https://www.homecomingservers.com

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 07:54:05 PM »
Mostly because it represents a form of open-sourcing legislation.

CNN blog post

It boggles my mind that it's taken this long to have such an effort.  Back in the days when you couldn't communicate effectively and instantaneously across vast distances, I can understand the need for leaving making laws in the hands of the lawmakers.  But today, it seems eminently logical to me to allow whomever wants a part in the process access to do so.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 08:59:09 PM by TonyV »

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 08:18:36 PM »
It boggles my mind that it's taken this long to have such an effort.  Bank in the days when you couldn't communicate effectively and instantaneously across vast distances, I can understand the need for leaving making laws in the hands of the lawmakers.  But today, it seems eminently logical to me to allow whomever wants a part in the process access to do so.

Agreed.  I'd actually like to see us reach a point where our elected officials can put up an online poll asking how they should vote on legislation.  Registered constituents could log in to verify that they are, in fact, part of that representative's voting base and voice their opinion on the poll (yea, nay, abstain).  The consensus result of the poll could then be taken to the floor as the representative's final vote on the bill.  With that sort of system in place, we could move away from things like party affiliation driving votes and we could more easily see just how well our officials represent us (and reward them with re-election or hold them accountable by getting rid of them in the next election.)

Some day, maybe...
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 07:36:01 PM »
This would be what we call a good start:

SOPA and PIPA postponed indefinitely after protests

But remember that the MPAA and RIAA have deep pockets.  As a wise man once said, "[copyrighted quote]."

There, fixed that for ya.  --TV  :P
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 11:02:36 PM by TonyV »
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 12:35:20 AM »
Hahaha.  :D
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

NeutronStar

• Underling
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 09:24:14 PM »
But now there's ACTA, which is even worse. I stood my ground then, I'll do it again. And if anyone tells me what I can and can't read or watch on the Internet, I will gladly tell them where to go, and what to do when they get there.
Mmmm, bacon...