Author Topic: Totally apropos of nothing...  (Read 5508 times)

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
Totally apropos of nothing...
« on: July 10, 2012, 09:37:44 AM »
I am getting married in September - it's a PIRATE THEME (Wench Kelci and Captain John!) and I am desperately searching for a good, not-cliche, not-sappy bride/groom first dance song. I haven't got the foggiest clue what to do! John is refusing to assist in my search, saying that is "my purview" - whatever! It's his dance, too! I thought about maybe some Frank Sinatra, but that is soooooo overdone (probably 80%+ of the weddings I've been to - a lot! - have had Frank Sinatra first dances)...maybe a quirky 80s/90s song but gah. So much bad music came out of the 80s/90s. So much to sift through.

Suggestions? Youtube/vimeo/whatever links please!

(cliche/sappy songs have been reserved for dad/daughter (butterfly kisses) and mom/son (not sure yet) dances - no worries, we're fitting a little tradition in!)

~Agge
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Cannonfodder

• Lieutenant
Re: Totally apropos of nothing...
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 09:51:56 AM »
This is probably not what you're looking for, but tastes vary so I offer it up...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEBbu-wkKrs
--Jason
@Cannonfodder
Victory:  Cannonfodder 50 Inv/SS
Virtue:  Pravda 50 Bots/FF
The Hall of Justice/The Hall of Doom /chanjoin "Victory Badges" /chanjoin "Virtue Badges"

ohms

• Boss
    • OV website
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 10:02:03 AM »
Congrats on the impending nuptials :)

Tog

• Lieutenant
    • Tog's Hero U
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 11:08:58 AM »
What kind of dancing do you want to do? Do you want a song that no one had ever heard of? Love song? Funny song? Funny love song? Fast, slow? I have a great band in mind, but they tend to be more of disco/funk side of things. Also, most of their songs are not family friendly in ways that can't possibly be edited. They do have some great, clean ones though.

That band is called "Here Come the Mummies" and they really do have some clean songs. most of what you find online will be the stuff aimed at 14 year old boys.

Hurricanes Floods and Fire is safe, I think. http://www.herecomethemummies.com/media/discography/carnal-carnival
So is The Now (though I think that's actually a religious song) Link is to the album sample with lyrics.
Wound up Together is a nice one. http://www.herecomethemummies.com/media/discography/single-entendre/wound-together
The Word sounds nice on the sample, but would be horrifically bad at a wedding.

Another one most people won't know is a woman named Kate Miller-Heidke. She's an Austrailian pop/folk singer who moonlights as an opera singer. Girls got pipes.

She's got a great dance song about how bad she dances. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2o6buiDlfo
Make it last is about finally settling down. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4TXBQEf9Mw
Space they Cannot Touch was written by her husband (derpy looking dude playing gutar) and is a really tender song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0Q4zM-qh6o&feature=relmfu

I'd have to listen to both to see if they have anything that would really fit and be clean. KMH can turn up the raunch a bit as well. But those will give you an idea of the styles.

Also, Grats.

taosin

• Boss
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 11:46:45 AM »
Congratulations!

Don't tell anyone, but I have a soft gooey centre....

First thought I had was "Into Temptation" by Crowded House. It's a soft-rock ballady thing.
(The Amazing) Neil Finn original: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXQN0RAohUU
Trevor Starks' version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXQN0RAohUU

It'd be a slow soft opening dance, but I reckon your second should up the tempo. (Mind you it's more a song he should pick for you, and I hope it's how he feels! <grin>)

edit ; ps - (re Tog "Kate Miller-Heidke") she has, am off to see her concert in August. a local.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 11:52:17 AM by taosin »

Tog

• Lieutenant
    • Tog's Hero U
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 11:56:35 AM »
I'd love to see her live, but I live in that part of the US no one remembers exists. We're what the guy giving the national weather stands in front of to show the country what to expect. I'm a little bummed that all the clips I've seen of her US tour right now don't show Kier at all. As much I'd love to see her live, they're a package deal.

Also, Ran though the lyrics to Can't Shake It in my head, and forgot about a couple of swears.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 01:39:29 PM »
CONGRATS!

As for music... I'm seeing some serious potential here.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 01:07:28 AM »
Hey, congratulations!  So scouring my collection of mostly classic rock songs, here are my list of suggestions, with links for your perusal and evaluation.

If you want something quirky and upbeat... I Must Be In Love - The Rutles (Bonus: Almost no one will have ever heard of it before)
Something a little slower (but sappier), one of my favorites... She's Got a Way - Billy Joel
A little slower (good dance song?), but not sappy... Strange Magic - ELO
A bit on the sappy side, but nice slow-ish song without being boring... I Believe (When I Fall in Love) - Stevie Wonder
The title sounds sappy, but the song actually isn't... Give Me Love - George Harrison (Might also want to check the Jeff Lynne version)
A bit sappy and a bit short, in case you don't want to hog the spotlight... Time in a Bottle - Jim Croce (Bonus: It's a waltz, which makes for a more interesting dance)
Faster, good if you want to be clever and choreograph something... Power of Love - Huey Lewis (Bonus: Anyone who was a child of the 80s will really dig it)
Classic, can't go wrong with this one... Faithfully - Journey
Another nice one, not too sappy... An Old Fashion Love Song - Three Dog Night
Non-sappy but happy song... Beautiful World - Colin Hay
Another good upbeat one, not too sappy... You Make Loving Fun - Fleetwood Mac
In the "hey, I don't judge" department of something completely different... Dance the Night Away - Van Halen
Freak your grandma out.
Just to see if you're still reading this list... Fifty Ways to Leave Your Lover - Paul Simon
Another classic, not too sappy, but nice for a slow dance... Wonderful Tonight - Eric Clapton
A bit on the sad side, but maybe a nice dance song... No More Lonely Nights - Paul McCartney (Or if that's too long, how about Maybe I'm Amazed?)

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 02:12:02 AM »
Freak your grandma out.
Ha!  If I ever got married and played that at my wedding, my mom would be so proud.  :)
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 03:09:53 AM »
A bit sappy and a bit short, in case you don't want to hog the spotlight... Time in a Bottle - Jim Croce (Bonus: It's a waltz, which makes for a more interesting dance)
This song is absolutely amazing. Jim Croce was amazing. Tragic! I think am actually going to suggest this one and Tog's Kate Miller-Heidke suggestion of "Space They Cannot Touch", in addition to Sting's Pirate Bride (though that one is rather slow and really long). We'll see what he says. :D
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal