Author Topic: Call to Action: Thank the media  (Read 220489 times)

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
Re: Call to Action: Thank the media
« Reply #100 on: September 06, 2012, 07:23:28 PM »
Seriously?  Do they think Paragon City is a real place or something?
Still, more words in the faces of the general everyone can't really hurt.
I know.  I'm certainly not complaining.  They have pretty big followings.  :)
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

castorcorvus

• Lieutenant
« Reply #101 on: September 06, 2012, 07:27:30 PM »
Not a fan of the Occupy movement, personal reasons, but I guess help is help. So I thank any involved for that. ;D

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #102 on: September 06, 2012, 07:28:58 PM »
I know.  I'm certainly not complaining.  They have pretty big followings.  :)
Indeed they do.  National headlines status.  If they get involved for real this it's a promise we will move beyond just the MMO sphere of influence!

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #103 on: September 06, 2012, 08:22:32 PM »
The really amusing part about this one?  All of a sudden this is being re-tweeted by the Occupy Movement.  (Yeah, the same ones who were camped out on Wall Street.)
<facepalm>
I used to like them, but they do get exposure, though not as instantly as they used to.

Wow... Just. Wow.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Catmand00

• Underling
« Reply #104 on: September 06, 2012, 08:34:23 PM »
I've sent an email to Rock, Paper, Shotgun, although I haven't heard back (nor am I personally expecting a response). In a couple different articles they mention their sorrow at the ending of City of Heroes. We could get some traction there, so one of the leaders should definitely hit them up if that's not already in the works.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #105 on: September 06, 2012, 09:09:56 PM »
And we're on GameSpy:

Occupy Paragon City to Protest City of Heroes' Closure
http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/city-of-heroes/1225984p1.html

I couldn't find the link, but eventually managed to locate it. For the curious, here it is:
http://twitter.com/OccupyTimesDay/status/243788103318388738

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #106 on: September 06, 2012, 09:31:53 PM »
I couldn't find the link, but eventually managed to locate it. For the curious, here it is:
http://twitter.com/OccupyTimesDay/status/243788103318388738
I wonder why they would want to get involved.  Unless whoever runs their Twitter is seriously confused.  It's a bit of a polarizing ally but I can't really see it hurting us in any meaningful way.

Sister Leortha

• Underling
« Reply #107 on: September 06, 2012, 09:44:34 PM »
I wonder why they would want to get involved.  Unless whoever runs their Twitter is seriously confused.  It's a bit of a polarizing ally but I can't really see it hurting us in any meaningful way.

Semi-random guess?  Someone over there plays the game and used their position in one group to boost visibility on something close to their heart for another group (us).

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #108 on: September 06, 2012, 09:47:05 PM »
Semi-random guess?  Someone over there plays the game and used their position in one group to boost visibility on something close to their heart for another group (us).

Hah.  I hadn't even thought about that.  People playing City of Heroes?  What?  >.>

Anyway, does someone want to make a move and contact them?  Tweet at them or whatever?  Is that even a good idea?

Vulpy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #109 on: September 06, 2012, 09:54:26 PM »
Anyway, does someone want to make a move and contact them?  Tweet at them or whatever?  Is that even a good idea?

I could definitely see them being willing to take up the cause--there's a definite "little guys standing up to big corporations" angle that could be played--and they are motivated. But, yes, they're also a bit polarizing.

If nothing else, we probably need to make sure they realize that #OccupyParagonCity isn't actually going to involve occupying a physical location--if, after hearing that, they're receptive to our message, then we can decide if we want to explore an alliance.
@Vulpy
Protector Server

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #110 on: September 06, 2012, 09:59:58 PM »
I could definitely see them being willing to take up the cause--there's a definite "little guys standing up to big corporations" angle that could be played--and they are motivated. But, yes, they're also a bit polarizing.

If nothing else, we probably need to make sure they realize that #OccupyParagonCity isn't actually going to involve occupying a physical location--if, after hearing that, they're receptive to our message, then we can decide if we want to explore an alliance.

They have a link to the GamerZine article in their tweet.  Unless their Twitter people are automatically tweet anything with "occupy" in the headline, I would assume they know. 

You're right on the angle though.  As much as people may not like Occupy (I'm not the biggest fan myself) we do have certain philosophical connections. 

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #111 on: September 06, 2012, 10:03:20 PM »
Research moment.

"The Occupy Time Daily is a daily eNewspaper that has a mix of the occupy movements news from around the world."

They have less than 1,000 followers, so they're not exactly huge.  It is, however, a very handy bridge into a group of people who don't necessarily play the game, or even MMOs in general.

TomFury

• Underling
« Reply #112 on: September 06, 2012, 10:22:55 PM »
PC Gamer has an article, too!  Awesome!

Players Rally in Protest Against City of Heroes Closure
http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/09/06/players-protest-city-of-heroes/
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 10:33:20 PM by TomFury »

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #113 on: September 06, 2012, 10:33:06 PM »
PC Gamer has a blurb, too!  Awesome!

Players Rally in Protest Against City of Heroes Closure
http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/09/06/players-protest-city-of-heroes/
Sweet.  It's a shame the article points them towards the official forums instead of here.  Probably doesn't matter much though; if someone cares enough to click the link they'll probably end up here anyway.

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #114 on: September 06, 2012, 10:43:02 PM »
Hey all, we have BLOWN THE DOORS off the media.  It started out as a couple of sites, then a few here and there, and now, more than 50 and counting covering our Save Paragon City! campaign and the efforts of our heroes in making sure that the lights stay on in Paragon City for a long time to come!

I've updated the top post in this thread.  I can't keep up with putting links to every article, some of our coordinators updating a Google Docs spreadsheet instead.  Bookmark and click the link to see the tangible fruits of our hard labor.  (But please be prepared and hold on to your socks before clicking the link.  You don't want those hurting someone when they fly off uncontrollably.)  I'm telling you, the tide is truly turning in our favor, and with some of the activities we have planned, such as the upcoming Unity Rally / Paragon Appreciation Costume Contest this Saturday (5:00pm Eastern on Virtue, don't forget!), attention is only going to grow.

THANK YOU ALL YET AGAIN for all of your hard work and effort.  We really are capable of making the impossible possible.  Now let's push onward to downright likely!   8)

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #115 on: September 06, 2012, 10:51:20 PM »
Hey all, we have BLOWN THE DOORS off the media.  It started out as a couple of sites, then a few here and there, and now, more than 50 and counting covering our Save Paragon City! campaign and the efforts of our heroes in making sure that the lights stay on in Paragon City for a long time to come!

I've updated the top post in this thread.  I can't keep up with putting links to every article, some of our coordinators updating a Google Docs spreadsheet instead.  Bookmark and click the link to see the tangible fruits of our hard labor.  (But please be prepared and hold on to your socks before clicking the link.  You don't want those hurting someone when they fly off uncontrollably.)  I'm telling you, the tide is truly turning in our favor, and with some of the activities we have planned, such as the upcoming Unity Rally / Paragon Appreciation Costume Contest this Saturday (5:00pm Eastern on Virtue, don't forget!), attention is only going to grow.

THANK YOU ALL YET AGAIN for all of your hard work and effort.  We really are capable of making the impossible possible.  Now let's push onward to downright likely!   8)

Wow!  Just last night I was under the impression we had like a dozen.  But over 50!?!?  We really can do this!  I am echoing Tony's thanks to everyone.  Seriously, great job!

Vulpy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #116 on: September 06, 2012, 10:51:43 PM »
I've updated the top post in this thread.  I can't keep up with putting links to every article, some of our coordinators updating a Google Docs spreadsheet instead.  Bookmark and click the link to see the tangible fruits of our hard labor.

Well, paint me green and call me a grasshopper. A masterlink! Any chance we could have it kept visibly somewhere and have new links highlighted for the first 24-48 hours after they're added?
@Vulpy
Protector Server

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #117 on: September 06, 2012, 10:53:25 PM »
Well, paint me green and call me a grasshopper. A masterlink! Any chance we could have it kept visibly somewhere and have new links highlighted for the first 24-48 hours after they're added?
Maybe Tony can stick it into the first post?

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
  • is there a badge for that?
« Reply #118 on: September 07, 2012, 03:16:41 AM »
i just noticed one of the articles was updated

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/09/06/city-of-heroes-fans-will-hold-a-protest-rally-at-atlas-park/

says in the update "[Update: Massively plans to be on hand to stream the event on our Twitch channel. Join us then!]"

so we might be having live coverage of this event

Lock-On

• Minion
« Reply #119 on: September 07, 2012, 03:29:55 AM »
Also it looks like we're picking up steam in the twitter verse.  @Samuriko has gotten Neil Gaiman to Retween a link to the cnn article about our efforts to save the city.

https://twitter.com/Samuraiko/status/243758323642548224

There are a few other links to some celebrities as well, but not sure if they are retweeting the way Mr. Gaiman did.  If so, this could be another tool in the toolbox with celebrity endorsements for our campaign.