Author Topic: Call to Action: Thank the media  (Read 220546 times)

Quinch

Re: Call to Action: Thank the media
« Reply #300 on: October 01, 2012, 09:52:08 AM »
On account of Yahtzee, I pretty much watch him for entertainment value, not information.

As for the Penny Arcade comic... I don't get it, which is kind of expected. This isn't butthurt talking - half the time I don't get the punchlines, and half of what's left isn't funny. But all things considered, it's publicity, so overall a plus.

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #301 on: October 01, 2012, 10:07:30 AM »
On account of Yahtzee, I pretty much watch him for entertainment value, not information.

As for the Penny Arcade comic... I don't get it, which is kind of expected. This isn't butthurt talking - half the time I don't get the punchlines, and half of what's left isn't funny. But all things considered, it's publicity, so overall a plus.
Yep, they lost me with the gyro thing too.

Osborn

• Boss
« Reply #302 on: October 01, 2012, 10:16:04 AM »
Yep, they lost me with the gyro thing too.

Despite the employees there in my local Euro Gyro messing up the pronunciation and calling it 'Jairo', the correct pronunciation for Gyro is 'Yee-rroh' with a rolling R sound similar to the double R in Spanish. If said without the rolling R, it sounds rhymes with 'hero' and sounds very similar to the word 'Euro'.

That's the joke, why in City of Heroes the gyro place is called City of Gyros, and the joke for this comic.

I'm not to worried about these kinds of posts.  It's human nature to want to be on the winning team.  The odds are stacked against us, and they don't want to bet on the long shot.  On August 31, it seemed impossible to do what we're trying to do.  Sitting around and saying, "Yeah, the game is doomed," is easy because then on December 1, they can sit around and say, "See?  I told you so," and they think they look really smart.  Even if we're successful, they'll sit around and say, "Even though I said I thought it was doomoed, I was hoping that they'd save it, so that makes me kind of right in a way."

The thing is, nobody will remember them.  When was the last time you read an article about something shutting down and a scrappy group of people saying, "Yeah, it's over with," and being right about it, yay them?  Whether we win or lose, one thing I can guarantee you is that that blog post will have long since faded into obscurity and no one will remember it.  The people who are standing with us, who are working hard to save the game, they will be the ones who people remember.  This blog post, for example, will be remembered for years.  This video is eternal.

So hey, if people want to write about how doomed we are, more power to them.  It just makes our fight that much more important, and makes victory that much sweeter.

I don't even think so much it's people wanting to be on the winning side, so much as that it's much easier to be negative and despite it being the year 2012 and not 1992 gamers, at least those that play more than Farmville or Angry Birds, are still an 'acceptable target' to bash for a quick laugh.

It's so much easier to go "Lol, look at this entitled whiny virgin brats living in their mother's basements complaining about a game they were too cheap to spend money to save". Does any of it have to be true? Nope, but that's the nature of 'acceptable targets'.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 10:21:43 AM by Osborn »

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #303 on: October 01, 2012, 10:21:21 AM »
Despite the employees there in my local Euro Gyro messing up the pronunciation and calling it 'Jairo', the correct pronunciation for Gyro is 'Yee-rroh' with a rolling R sound similar to the double R in Spanish. If said without the rolling R, it sounds rhymes with 'hero' and sounds very similar to the word 'Euro'.

That's the joke, why in City of Heroes the gyro place is called City of Gyros, and the joke for this comic.
Ohhhh! Thanks, that makes a lot more sense!

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #304 on: October 01, 2012, 11:50:35 AM »
Oh I assumed the Gyros thing was from the German where Gyros was what we in England call a doner kebab (not sure what it's called in the US large lump of minced lamb cooked on an upright spit and cut in strips into a pita bread), and that's pronounced "GOUros".

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #305 on: October 01, 2012, 12:02:59 PM »
I think if something needs this much explaining, it's fine if I don't get it. :D
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #306 on: October 01, 2012, 04:21:19 PM »
Knowing people who grew up in Greek families, it wasn't until I saw the posts in this thread that I remembered some people mispronounce it.  :)
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #307 on: October 01, 2012, 06:13:46 PM »
Oh I assumed the Gyros thing was from the German where Gyros was what we in England call a doner kebab (not sure what it's called in the US large lump of minced lamb cooked on an upright spit and cut in strips into a pita bread), and that's pronounced "GOUros".

A Stromboli with lamb? That's what I'm envisioning based on that anyhow.

Anyway, what 's really irking me, is that considering that the joke seems lost on pretty much everyone, all that is left is to assume CoH IS the joke.

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #308 on: October 01, 2012, 06:15:08 PM »

Anyway, what 's really irking me, is that considering that the joke seems lost on pretty much everyone, all that is left is to assume CoH IS the joke.

..um. I got the joke. A lot of other people will also get the joke. >.>;
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #309 on: October 01, 2012, 06:34:08 PM »
Hm, another possibility, maybe they're actually ribbing on the folks who are apathetic and telling us to just get over it. Kid goes into rage mode thinking his life is being taken away, but then when it turns out he read it wrong, he's, "Oh. Ok no problem then." Maybe I'm reading too much into it. But it's hard to believe the real point is about mispronunciation.

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #310 on: October 01, 2012, 06:38:30 PM »
Well, most of the PA strips in recent years have been largely one-shot "cheap" jokes. (note, that doesn't mean I don't APPROVE, just that there's less 'meat' to the strip itself)

Most of the "meat and potatoes" comes whenever Tycho's news post finally goes up, which is usually mid to late afternoon or early evening, my time.(Central)
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #311 on: October 01, 2012, 06:41:10 PM »
Sort of like a lamb wrap where the wrap is pita bread rather than tortilla.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyro_%28food%29

Man, that picture is making me really hungry...
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Vulpy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #312 on: October 01, 2012, 06:45:01 PM »
Hm, another possibility, maybe they're actually ribbing on the folks who are apathetic and telling us to just get over it. Kid goes into rage mode thinking his life is being taken away, but then when it turns out he read it wrong, he's, "Oh. Ok no problem then." Maybe I'm reading too much into it. But it's hard to believe the real point is about mispronunciation.

I think the point may be about the internet community at large being slow to "buy in" to our cause. It doesn't affect them, so they immediately become apathetic. Which is human nature, but it is also working against us here. But I also subscribe to the "death of the author" theory: my interpretation is as valid as the creator's, from my perspective.
@Vulpy
Protector Server

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #313 on: October 01, 2012, 06:52:11 PM »
It'll probably be easier to see where they were going with the gag when the News post is updated.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

Rae

• Elite Boss
--
@Vandellia

Twitter: @Skybloopink

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #315 on: October 01, 2012, 07:19:17 PM »
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #316 on: October 01, 2012, 09:49:38 PM »
http://uk.pc.gamespy.com/pc/city-of-heroes/1226243p1.html

And

http://www.gamenguide.com/articles/3563/20121001/city-heroes-shutting-down-last-events-mmorpg-final-day-nc-soft.htm

Nothing new, though.

Quality journalism in the Gamenguide article:
Cryptic Studios, the developers behind City of Heroes have at least organized several events for the community to participate in before the end of the game.

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #317 on: October 02, 2012, 04:53:23 PM »
It's the logo still on the log in screen, probably :P
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!

Rae

• Elite Boss
« Reply #319 on: October 03, 2012, 04:23:57 PM »
--
@Vandellia