Author Topic: Main Page - Save Paragon City!  (Read 12489 times)

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
Main Page - Save Paragon City!
« on: September 05, 2012, 02:30:49 PM »
Tony asked me to try to rework the Main Page of the wiki a bit to draw more attention to the efforts to save City. Here's what I've done:

I changed "News" to "Save Paragon City!". We're still using the News system, just with a different title. Please style any new news articles using style=alert in the {{Newsdate}} header. (Also, we could use more news! For the moment, please keep news relevant to the efforts to save City.)

I added a "Calls to Action" portlet, which can be edited at Paragon Wiki:Calls to Action. The list I put up for the moment was pretty quickly done, I haven't been following all the many threads as closely as others might have, so feel free update the list with anything else that's relevant.

Note that both of the above use new stylings for headers. I'm colorblind, so if the colors are awful, someone else can please tweak them! TonyV suggested we go with light reds. You can modify the styles at {{MP Heading}} and {{Newsdate}}.

I bumped the Quick Reference panel to the side column, under the Calls to Action. Right now, I figured the quick reference links have lower importance than the calls to action. ;)

I removed the Patches and the Weekly Strike Targets portlets, but added a link to the WST article to the Quick References. (Are WST's even still being changed?)

Normally I'd put such changes out for discussion before making them, but this was way too important to wait. Hopefully nobody finds the major changes too objectionable, but if you do, please comment here and we'll try to work towards consensus to make adjustments as needed.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
Re: Main Page - Save Paragon City!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 03:04:53 PM »
I just did as I threatened to the last time the Twitter account was brought up, and replaced the defunct "Headlines" sections on both the cohtitan.com main page and on Faces with a Twitter widget.

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 03:36:46 PM »
Ooo, good thought, I added a Twitter feed widget to the wiki (underneath the news) as well. (It should probably actually go in the right column, but that column's already too long...)

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 04:04:29 PM »
Oh, that's weird. It shows up at paragonwiki.com, but not at wiki.cohtitan.com.

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 04:07:23 PM »
Oh, that's weird. It shows up at paragonwiki.com, but not at wiki.cohtitan.com.

Weird. It wasn't showing at wiki.cohtitan.com for me either. Then I logged in and it showed up. And it's still showing up after I logged out. Can you give another visit and see if it's showing now for you?

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 04:43:02 PM »
Huh.  Yeah, I haven't logged in yet, so I'm just seeing a blank space.  I was just going to chalk it up to something being blocked since I'm behind the proxy server here at work.

I still see a blank space logged in, so I still suspect the proxy server is in my way.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 04:46:52 PM »
Huh.  Yeah, I haven't logged in yet, so I'm just seeing a blank space.  I was just going to chalk it up to something being blocked since I'm behind the proxy server here at work.

I still see a blank space logged in, so I still suspect the proxy server is in my way.

Can you see the twitter feed on the main site? http://www.cohtitan.com/

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 04:48:41 PM »
I'm seeing the same thing on my phone. It was working in Chrome and Firefox

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 04:50:26 PM »
Can you see the twitter feed on the main site? http://www.cohtitan.com/
I can actually see it there.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 05:32:14 PM »
Maybe it's a caching issue? Perhaps it'll clear up shortly. If not, well, it degrades gracefully at least.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 05:33:41 PM »
Just checked again.  It showed up on the wiki this time (logged in.)
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 08:45:48 PM »
Man, those Twitter feeds are pretty fussy.  Neither one is working for me now - browser cache refreshes included.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2012, 09:14:27 PM »
Guess that's what we get for using the official Twitter widget... /sigh

(all of them work perfectly for me on the desktop, btw)

What browser are you using?

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2012, 09:18:42 PM »
Firefox (15.0).

I'm still reserving judgment until I can check at home; not ruling out proxy interference.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2012, 03:53:26 PM »
I tried disabling the 'live' mode on the one on the main page and it loads correctly on iPhone Safari for me now. Hopefully it'll work through your proxy as well. We might want to do that for the one on the wiki.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2012, 04:01:04 PM »
Seems to be working on the main page so far.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2012, 05:05:40 PM »
I tried disabling the 'live' mode on the one on the main page and it loads correctly on iPhone Safari for me now. Hopefully it'll work through your proxy as well. We might want to do that for the one on the wiki.

I've done the same for the wiki.

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2012, 06:22:05 PM »
Would anyone object too strongly if I did the following on the Main Page?

- Remove the Quick Ref links on the right (For New Players, Most Recent, Popular Pages, Quick Picks)
- Remove the "Paragon Wiki needs YOU!" section on the right
- Move the Twitter section over to the right, under the "Calls to Action" section

(The things removed can be put back later, when the Save City efforts are concluded.)

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2012, 06:23:24 PM »
Seems logical under current circumstances.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2012, 06:30:19 PM »
I agree. Most folks are NOT coming to the wiki right now to learn about the game/content.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal