Author Topic: Figure Print Process [Arcanaville]  (Read 62131 times)

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
Re: Figure Print Process [Arcanaville]
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2012, 01:36:55 AM »
Hey guys, I stumbled upon what that 'X-Rated' Image is! It's actually a Hair texture for the female statues. Which, Is kind of weird.
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

voodoogirl

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2012, 02:03:42 AM »
I figured that out sometime ago - it's the center part of the hair and such, IIRC.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2012, 03:31:48 AM »
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Ice Trix

• Boss
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2012, 10:36:07 AM »
I know I sound like I keep plugging this, but...

Try saving the .Costume from the character creator, loading it into DEMOlition (http://demolition.mcuznz.ca) and then running GLIntercept/OGLE while playing back the .demorecord file instead.

DEMOlition is frigging awesome.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2012, 01:20:31 AM »
I got the Shapeways version of my Warshade back today.  So pleased!  It came out much better than expected. I can even see his little teeth.
Neato.

voodoogirl

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2012, 04:26:09 AM »
I'd use Subdivision Surface in Blender to help smooth out some of the rougher edges.

How much did your print cost you from Shapeways?

Queen of Eels

• Underling
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2012, 10:17:55 AM »
He was $25ish. I paid more for the ultra-detail plastic.

I'm kind of on the fence about how much to edit the models. For now I'd like to have a "light touch" and go for an accurate representation of what was in the game. Part of their CoH charm is their blockyness.

That said, the temptation of taking perfectly formed DAZ model hands and Frankensteining them on in place of the giant ham fists that most of the models have is also pretty tempting :D

Its very cool to see the difference in how refined the various costume bits are. Old vs. new sets especially. The Arachnos soldier stuff looks so much more refined than anything else. No smoothing required there.

Samuel Tow

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2012, 01:17:17 PM »
That is absolutely beautiful.

Well, it's a Nova so I don't think "beautiful" is the right word, but that's definitely very impressive. Now I want one, too :)
Of all the things I've lost,
I think I miss my mind the most.

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2012, 06:14:49 PM »
Well, it's a Nova so I don't think "beautiful" is the right word, but that's definitely very impressive. Now I want one, too :)

I think it caaan be the right word, for the right person :)

I've been debating finding the means to nab one, and nab a dwarf too. It feels like it'd be the perfect compliments to my Recluse and States heroclix. Then I'd just need one of my main...

Too many good things out there to get!
Woo! - Argent Girl

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2012, 06:35:35 PM »
I'm kind of on the fence about how much to edit the models. For now I'd like to have a "light touch" and go for an accurate representation of what was in the game. Part of their CoH charm is their blockyness.

That said, the temptation of taking perfectly formed DAZ model hands and Frankensteining them on in place of the giant ham fists that most of the models have is also pretty tempting :D
But nightmare fuel in the specific case of the Nova.

voodoogirl

« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2012, 06:53:54 PM »
Now, if we could correctly UV Unwrap them we could re-apply the textures and have them printed in color.

Or make new textures from scratch.

Queen of Eels

• Underling
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2012, 07:28:19 PM »
I made some more-- had to share  :D

These were done on a local printer with pretty crappy resolution, but I'm still pleased with the way they came out.  With the exception of my fire tank who is missing half his face. ???

therain93

• Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2012, 09:00:38 PM »
So, is a 6 inch height typically the standard?
@Texarkana - March 5, 2004 - December 1, 2012 -- Imageshack |-| Youtube
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't know what it's like.... |-| Book One. Chapter one...

Queen of Eels

• Underling
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2012, 09:06:43 PM »
6" would be pretty huge-- most printers can't do more than 6 or 8 inches.  I've been doing 3".

therain93

• Elite Boss
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2012, 10:37:36 PM »
6" would be pretty huge-- most printers can't do more than 6 or 8 inches.  I've been doing 3".
Interesting and good to know, thanks!
@Texarkana - March 5, 2004 - December 1, 2012 -- Imageshack |-| Youtube
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't know what it's like.... |-| Book One. Chapter one...

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2012, 11:24:45 PM »
The maximal print volume of my Cupcake is 100mm x 100mm x 130mm, or about 4in x 4in x 5in.  I got best results printing figures with a maximum height of about 110mm, or about four and a quarter inches.

Current printers have significantly better resolution and often slightly to significantly larger print volumes.  I think most of the RepRap based printers have varying print dimensions but generally similar maximum Z-axis height.

Hotaru

• Lieutenant
  • Just a demo-loving fool in the Far East...
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2012, 01:05:22 AM »
For people interested in 3D model printing in color, I saw something on Japanese TV recently about a printer that does that while forming the model in a mass of powdered plaster. When finished, they lifted the full color models out of the dust. One was a minature basketball, the other a collection of overlapping colored rings, as I recall. A quick search suggests they were using the Zprinter from Z Corporation. But not cheap - the Dezaegg company has some examples, like a 4x4x2 inch architectural model that ran a bit shy of US$500.
Dezaegg's info on the Zprinter (in Japanese, but nice pics): http://dezaegg.co.jp/zprinter/

voodoogirl

« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2012, 01:07:39 AM »
Shapeways does 3D color printing - the figure needs a texture file mapped to it and exported in a format that will retain that (like Collada.) So if we could find how to correctly UV unwrap the model and attach the texture files (recolored at least,) then they could be printed in color. Worst case scenario you make your own texture file to fit the model. Blender does have a tool that allows you to paint directly onto the model.

Mister Hassenpheffer

• Boss
    • 3D printouts?!
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2015, 05:33:11 PM »
I hate to thread necro, I really do, but since this one has already been started and it is still relevant and in depth I really don't see why I'd need to start anew.

Has anyone tinkered much with 3d capture programs?

is there any new light to be shed in this endeavor?

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
  • Infinity Server 2005-2012
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2015, 06:31:26 AM »
Nifty. I'm interested as well. Two-Plus years of printing improvements as well (I'd think). Any idea of the cost?
Rejolt Industries LLC is now a thing. Woo!