Author Topic: 9/13 update: "Save Paragon" video in the works <Draft #2>  (Read 17367 times)

Kheprera

• Elite Boss
Re: 9/13 update: "Save Paragon" video in the works <Draft #2>
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2012, 08:45:32 PM »
I'm with VV...

You made me cry again...

At work!

I can't wait for the finished piece.

Have you considered including some images of Twitter tweets and facebook posts to show how wide it's spreading? All the news articles are great, but showing we're reaching out in other ways may help the impact.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 03:29:36 AM by TimtheEnchanter »

Terwyn

• Plan Z: Business/Marketing Lead
  • Elite Boss
    • Missing Worlds
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2012, 09:43:18 PM »
Honestly, I think leaving the story-boarded segments as they are would be a brilliant move.

Exceptionally well done.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
- Albert Einstein

http://missingworlds.wordpress.com

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2012, 12:28:01 AM »
TimtheEnchanter - this storyboarded rough cut is gorgeous. Can't wait to see the final. I have only one question.

What can we do to help you?

I don't think you're going to have any problems recruiting people to bring those scenes you sketched out to virtual life. Just say the word. Here's my CIT page - consider all my heroes at your disposal.

http://cit.cohtitan.com/profile/3066

Well, thanks to demo editing, a lot of this doesn't need to be recorded like a "live" take, since I can put in the emotes afterward. Which is actually a good thing, particularly for the AP shot with the statue above, so I don't have to worry about editing out people who randomly jump or fly past or go running through the water in the middle of it. But if you want to a couple of quick demorecords of two or three of your heroes and give them to me, I'll put them into it. And for at least one of them, pick a character who dresses oldschool, because I'm coming up short on my character list and I definitely don't have time to level a new character to 20 and get him a cape.

I'm also open to suggestions for where to shoot the sunset and 'raising of torches' scene depicted in the sketches. After I uploaded draft 2, an idea came to my mind that the sun rise in front of the torch-bearers, synched up with the climax of the song. But with war walls everywhere, views of the horizon are pretty rare, and I'd rather do them somewhere more urban than Monster Island.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2012, 12:44:36 AM »
I'm also open to suggestions for where to shoot the sunset and 'raising of torches' scene depicted in the sketches. After I uploaded draft 2, an idea came to my mind that the sun rise in front of the torch-bearers, synched up with the climax of the song. But with war walls everywhere, views of the horizon are pretty rare, and I'd rather do them somewhere more urban than Monster Island.
Warburg, Siren's Call, and Bloody Bay all come to mind.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Soundtrack

• Boss
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2012, 12:51:27 AM »
Tim, truly inspiring! :)

You should be highly commended!

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2012, 03:26:53 AM »
Warburg, Siren's Call, and Bloody Bay all come to mind.

Thanks for that. It's been forever since I've gone to the PvP zones, so they never even crossed my mind.

Great Video ! The voiceovers are a flabbergastingly great addition to the video !

Warning: there are glitches on the lowest eighth of the video at the beginning when showcasing the news reports.

Can I just have a shed of spotlight for my own nerd video :D ? Everything you need is here (you should make the left part of it pass like the forum posts)

That's a glitch because I posted to youtube at an awkward screen ratio. The artifacts only appear 'outside' of that ratio. The final cut SHOULD automatically eliminate those.

I think a better place for your sig would be the "parade of web banners" though.

Have you considered including some images of Twitter tweets and facebook posts to show how wide it's spreading? All the news articles are great, but showing we're reaching out in other ways may help the impact.

At this point I don't know where there'd be room for it in all honesty. I did include shots of the FB and twitter pages though.

I'd recommend maybe holding the last frame, fading out to black, and ending with some text - linking to these boards, and mentioning the #SaveCOH hashtag.

Presuming I don't get the final demo-recording edit to work the way I want to, I'll be doing that. And of course the links will appear on the video at the end, AND be clickable to take people to the main news sources and the petition.

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2012, 04:25:08 AM »
...the video is very well done. Now if someone would stop chopping all these onions, maybe I could get to work on something...

*rubs at eyes*
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

The-Hunter-JLJ

• Bug Hunter
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2012, 04:34:14 AM »
Tim, happens I have demorecords of a lot of my characters sitting on my drive. I'll get them up on Googledocs for you to grab this weekend. Use any of them you want, and if you see one on my CIT page that I didn't put a demorecord up for, just say the word and I'll fix that. I'm intending to produce demorecords of all my heroes before too long anyway.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2012, 05:00:24 AM »
I thought the music was at a level appropriate to what you were trying to accomplish emotionally.  The voice quality was low, like some of the recordings were from bad Skype calls.

I have to admit, I almost teared up. "Almost" is probably all I can manage, though, since I traded my soul for a chance to save the game. Sorry.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2012, 05:05:38 AM »
The voice quality was low, like some of the recordings were from bad Skype calls.
The audio during the Unity Rally on the stream from Massively was apparently suffering from their system trying to render all of the heroes in the zone during the broadcast.  Not much to be done about that one.  :)
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Bjork

• Underling
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2012, 01:43:07 PM »
I liked it very much

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2012, 01:52:01 PM »
I'm sorry.  It certainly wasn't a criticism.  Is it something that can be re-looped?
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2012, 04:39:24 PM »
I'm sorry.  It certainly wasn't a criticism.  Is it something that can be re-looped?

Well you're not the only one who brought up the audio. And I'm not sure if it can redone or not, but I'm looking into it.

The White Rager

• Lieutenant
    • The Wordpile
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2012, 06:09:24 PM »
As those before me have said, this is a very solid piece of work. I do have one bit of criticism though - whenever you bring in screenshots of forums posts and stuff, where the text is important to be able to READ onscreen, the resolution of the pictures aren't good enough I guess? Large screen didn't make it better, I don't think someone reading it who hadn't seen those posts as they came would be able to catch much. Needs to be made clearer, more immediately readable somehow. So basically, the movie is fine, you just need better rez versions of those particular ingredients. I'd talk about photoshop resizing but since I have no idea how these go into videos, I also have no idea if that's relevant either.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2012, 06:32:56 PM »
Don't worry, the original resolution for the vid is 1440x900, and all the screencaps were taken at 1080i. I've only had the draft versions scaled down because I didn't want to wait hours to render it out and then more hours for youtube to process.

firstmagic

• Underling
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2012, 06:54:54 PM »
This video draft made me register a key here just so I could say great, great work so far.

I don't know if there's anything I can do to help, but if you need resources or assistance, just holler.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2012, 07:37:32 AM »
Holy freaking cow... getting the sunset shot in the one sketch was easy. Finding a place in the city with a good sunrise and structural detail... wow. I asked a slew of folks in-game about it. The whole process took about 5 hours of flying all over the place. So yeah, not quite as close to being finished with this as I hoped to be at the end of today.

Thirty-Seven

• Elite Boss
  • Keeper of the Sacred Number
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2012, 07:51:52 AM »
Amazing!!

That's all I can say.

Oh, a suggestion... when you get to AP33, you should prolly give it a bit of special fanfare and include one or more of the Atlas 33 logos that have been produced on the forums: http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showthread.php?t=297159

Moonfyire101

• Elite Boss
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2012, 04:35:08 PM »
That made me all teary...It's wonderful. Keep going with it. I think you missed one of the atlas's though, i could be wrong. I can't wait to see the finished product.

StarRanger4

• Boss
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2012, 06:40:35 PM »
*looks at the storyboard shot of the Newpaper*

*knows there is no way to create THAT in game*

Phineas, I know what we're going to do today...