Author Topic: 9/13 update: "Save Paragon" video in the works <Draft #2>  (Read 17311 times)

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
Re: 9/13 update: "Save Paragon" video in the works <Draft #2>
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2012, 07:12:15 PM »
*looks at the storyboard shot of the Newpaper*

*knows there is no way to create THAT in game*

Phineas, I know what we're going to do today...
!you *could* do that, but not in a legal way anyway (since client modding is prohibited in the eula), but I think people here could help replacing the newspaper texture.
Yeeessss....

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2012, 07:15:39 PM »
Specifically modding the client is forbidden, but overriding things like textures can be done without actually modding the client.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Electric-Knight

• Elite Boss
  • E-K and Malfaz taking a break, drinking tea
    • www.pauldamonthomas.com
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2012, 07:51:22 PM »
Very nicely done... Tim? (haha, I always have to say that name with a pause and a bit questioningly...).

Seriously, the build-up and recap of the outpouring of support for the rally really hit me. I've not been crying, but that absolutely gave me tears of inspiration.

I'm really hoping to get to work tonight on a new video I've had in mind since the announcement...

Thank you, TimtheEnchanter!
--
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
- Baron Munchausen

http://www.pauldamonthomas.com/

StarRanger4

• Boss
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2012, 08:35:27 PM »
!you *could* do that, but not in a legal way anyway (since client modding is prohibited in the eula), but I think people here could help replacing the newspaper texture.

but why take the risk when you have people who can create a shot like that without taking the risk of breaking the EULA.?  Cause I dunno about you but it would be a bittersweet victory to save the game but be banned for an EULA violation because the outgoing NC soft people were vindictive jerks.

*play paperthump.mp3*

Is a static shot good for you Tim, or do you want to use this as a placeholder while I animate the bundle of papers getting 'dropped' on the curb?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 04:11:02 AM by TonyV »

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2012, 09:44:22 PM »
Heh, well this went off on a tangent. I was gonna say... I never said I would ONLY use Machinima.  ;)

Either CGI, or even a real video shot is what I was going for on this one (there's a small indie company nearby with an oldschool printing press that I could probably get a few cover pages from and then wrap them around generic newspapers) . That's a good start, StarRanger.  I'm not sure how much you want to drive yourself crazy with tweaking it though, or what program you did this in. If you want to develop it further though, here's what I'd need.

1. Some bumpmap detail on the ground surfaces so it looks less 2D (mostly to prepare it for item 2).
2. Reflections on the ground surface for the light from the paper to bounce off of (it's going to be raining, so the ground needs to look wet)
3. The bundle should be tied.
4. Use the "Is This the End of Paragon City?" article title.
5. Animated dropping into the frame (cool that you asked about that, because I had that thought in the back of my head but didn't even include it in the storyboard)
6. Rain? No big deal if you can't do that, because even if I was doing CGI for this myself, I'd be adding the rain and splashes in a separate program anyhow.

That made me all teary...It's wonderful. Keep going with it. I think you missed one of the atlas's though, i could be wrong. I can't wait to see the finished product.

Yeah, I know. I think it was 32 that's mission, as I have yet to find a screenshot of it.  :-\

StarRanger4

• Boss
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2012, 12:35:13 AM »
Heh, well this went off on a tangent. I was gonna say... I never said I would ONLY use Machinima.  ;)

Either CGI, or even a real video shot is what I was going for on this one (there's a small indie company nearby with an oldschool printing press that I could probably get a few cover pages from and then wrap them around generic newspapers) . That's a good start, StarRanger.  I'm not sure how much you want to drive yourself crazy with tweaking it though, or what program you did this in. If you want to develop it further though, here's what I'd need.

1. Some bumpmap detail on the ground surfaces so it looks less 2D (mostly to prepare it for item 2).
2. Reflections on the ground surface for the light from the paper to bounce off of (it's going to be raining, so the ground needs to look wet)
3. The bundle should be tied.
4. Use the "Is This the End of Paragon City?" article title.
5. Animated dropping into the frame (cool that you asked about that, because I had that thought in the back of my head but didn't even include it in the storyboard)
6. Rain? No big deal if you can't do that, because even if I was doing CGI for this myself, I'd be adding the rain and splashes in a separate program anyhow.

Yeah, I know. I think it was 32 that's mission, as I have yet to find a screenshot of it.  :-\

yeah, I should be able to do most if not all of that.  Shame about the headline.  I kinda liked the nemesis bit. *grin*

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2012, 02:13:11 AM »
I am sitting here crying.... an amazing amazing video!

:(

I will post this on twitter again and again and again....

The heart of the video...hearing people rallying behind the movement made me literally just stare at my screen as the tears rolled down my face.

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2012, 02:37:48 AM »
Not sure if it has been mentioned, but it seems to go very quickly from AP31 to AP33...not seeing AP32.

And yes I am sitting here watching it over and over crying.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2012, 03:17:13 AM »
Yeah, I noted that before. Anyone got a screenshot of it? I've been looking but not finding.

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2012, 03:21:11 AM »
Yeah, I noted that before. Anyone got a screenshot of it? I've been looking but not finding.

I took this from the official forums. Pretty sure this is AP32...especially since the name of the pic is Atlas32 :)

From the thread: [size=78%]http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showthread.php?t=297058&highlight=Rally+Pics&page=3[/size]

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2012, 03:38:27 AM »
Ours is not a message of hatred or racial stereotyping. Let's all try to keep that in mind. I'm so proud of you guys up to this point, let's keep that pride going strong and remain vigilant.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2012, 03:51:39 AM »
For a second I thought, "How did I miss that pic?" But then it hit me. Drat, what I'm actually missing is 31, not 32. Sorry.  :-X

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2012, 04:15:32 AM »
Ours is not a message of hatred or racial stereotyping. Let's all try to keep that in mind. I'm so proud of you guys up to this point, let's keep that pride going strong and remain vigilant.

I'm in ur thredz moddin ur postz.

Agreed. Let's not descend into ethnic stereotypes.

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2012, 04:40:35 AM »
For a second I thought, "How did I miss that pic?" But then it hit me. Drat, what I'm actually missing is 31, not 32. Sorry.  :-X

May wanna post on the official forums and see if anyone has a pic of AP31...only thing I can think to do.

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2012, 04:45:35 AM »
I actually posted in the Rally Pics thread I started on the official forums asking for a pic of AP31...Hope it helps you out :)

http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showthread.php?p=4397381#post4397381

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2012, 05:16:59 AM »
Heh, thanks. There's two requests for it then as I posted a new thread with a request for it about an hour ago.

StarRanger4

• Boss
« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2012, 05:54:30 AM »
I'm in ur thredz moddin ur postz.

Agreed. Let's not descend into ethnic stereotypes.

err.  Roit, consider me properly chastised as well as moderated.

in the meantime:
http://youtu.be/kMdZLQZ54d4

« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 07:45:52 AM by StarRanger4 »

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2012, 03:15:02 PM »
Well, Burnt, still no response to either of our posts, but I finally managed to find some. I think I figured out why no AP31 pics were posted before. Looks like that ended up being the unofficial instance for taking the hippie concept to the extreme, and some... ehh... .gratuitous activities took place on the steps, including that McFist guy who we have all seen at the AP33 monorail exit ramp for days now, and a few other players. Maybe everyone who went there to take screenshots went at the wrong time... But in addition to the others, the AP31 vigil group took a more PR-friendly one.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3489336&pagenumber=81&perpage=40#post407321919

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2012, 03:29:36 PM »
I will now have to find the less friendly version. McFist was pretty funny the first half dozen times.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2012, 03:38:30 PM »
... some... ehh... .gratuitous activities took place on the steps
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov