Author Topic: Hurricane  (Read 6950 times)

Plinkyplonk

• Minion
Re: Hurricane
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2012, 09:26:40 PM »
Perhaps, but there are many cultures--some of which even exist inside America--where the acceptance of aid, especially if the public is aware of it, becomes a sign of weakness. So long as South Korea isn't one of those cultures, I'd certainly have no reservations. :)

You are correct in what you say. There are and there always have been cultural entities around the world in various forms who refuse outside help. An entire country should not be compartmentalized with a single cultural element. In the majority of countries different religions exist as do alternative teaching methods along with mixed medicinal theories and treatments and dietary dissimilarities. Historically if any threat to a nation or part thereof comes to pass it is, in this day and age and regardless of national idiosyncrasies, appropriate to send assistance be it in monetary and/or human form.  :)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 09:34:25 PM by Plinkyplonk »

Omega Mark V

• Boss
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2012, 11:55:03 PM »
I'm on board of this idea as well.
- Omega Mk. V

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2012, 01:26:54 AM »
Something about this strikes me as callously insensitive.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Deathmint

• Underling
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2012, 01:42:23 AM »
I talked with my half-Korean bf and his South Korean native mother. Though they certainly can't represent the entire country, they seemed very confident that Koreans would be receptive to the help.

sturm375

• Underling
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2012, 01:44:12 AM »
I would be willing to put some money to this cause as well

Vulpy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2012, 01:46:39 AM »
You are correct in what you say. There are and there always have been cultural entities around the world in various forms who refuse outside help. An entire country should not be compartmentalized with a single cultural element. In the majority of countries different religions exist as do alternative teaching methods along with mixed medicinal theories and treatments and dietary dissimilarities. Historically if any threat to a nation or part thereof comes to pass it is, in this day and age and regardless of national idiosyncrasies, appropriate to send assistance be it in monetary and/or human form.  :)

You won me over with your logic before I even saw the cultural tips downthread. I withdraw my reservations. :)
@Vulpy
Protector Server

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2012, 01:52:27 AM »
No question.

I would suggest Oxfam International rather than the Red Cross.  Oxfam has a much better track record of spending money on AID rather than salaries and fancy offices.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2012, 01:55:45 AM »
Reaching out and helping your fellow man is never a bad idea.

That being said, please realize that your fellow man is also quite likely closer than you think. Sadly, in the US, hardships are plentiful. There are still a lot of folks who've yet to recover from Hurricanes Ivan and Katrina.

You can make a difference in a multitude of ways - smiling at someone who looks sad. That's the one thing I try to do is give a smile to everyone who's not smiling. Only so much money in my pocket but a smile is free.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2012, 02:06:48 AM »
And, Okinawa was hit first, and harder, though I can't find any hard damage estimates.  Also, mainland China and the Vladivostok region of Russia are being affected by this, possibly more harshly. South Korea is essentially a "First World" country. Many of the regions around it are not. Less developed regions may not have the kind of body count we've grown accustomed to, but the effects on countryside like that can wipe out a winter's food supply.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Darkgunn

• Underling
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2012, 04:01:50 AM »
If one of the reasons would be to generate some intresest from news organizations, would it not make more sense to pool our resources before making a donation. Don't know how much attention we would garner making individual donations of a few dollars to a few hundered dollars each. I assume it would just blend in with the normal donations for an occurance such as this. This is just a thought and I am not encourgaging anyone who might donate to wait for something official just throwing it out there.

SkyStreak

• Minion
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2012, 04:19:57 AM »
I just posted a few days ago how impressive it was that we raised $1000 in three hours, but thought a coordinated charity drive in SaveCoH's name would be far more impressive and (no offense to the folks we bought dinner for ), matter a lot more in the long run.

Siberian Spring

• Lieutenant
    • Live Creatively
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2012, 04:37:06 PM »
Searched for this thread just to see where the donation site ends up so I can add to the pot.

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2012, 04:44:10 PM »
I just posted a few days ago how impressive it was that we raised $1000 in three hours, but thought a coordinated charity drive in SaveCoH's name would be far more impressive and (no offense to the folks we bought dinner for ), matter a lot more in the long run.
Agreed, we need to pool and submit as a single entity. I particularly like VV's suggestion of using Oxfam.

As soon as it is set up, I am ready to donate.

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2012, 05:10:24 PM »
Hey all, I don't want to nix this idea or dissuade anyone from donating to charity, but I also want to avoid us coming off to the public as opportunistic at the expense of a natural disaster.  I'm concerned that if we do this, it might come off as patronizing.  Kind of a "we helped you, now you help us" message.  Maybe it's just me, but I think we need to tread carefully.

Turgenev

• Underling
  • Dead, but forever dreaming.
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2012, 05:36:04 PM »
Hey all, I don't want to nix this idea or dissuade anyone from donating to charity, but I also want to avoid us coming off to the public as opportunistic at the expense of a natural disaster.  I'm concerned that if we do this, it might come off as patronizing.  Kind of a "we helped you, now you help us" message.  Maybe it's just me, but I think we need to tread carefully.

I gotta admit, upon reflection, this is the thin line we're treading. On the one hand, it's helping those in need: I get that. On the other, we'd appear to be using an existing situation to further our cause (which is, honestly, the truth of it).

Addressing this coldly, if you want to make this work, then you form up the donation mechanic, complete with a donation portal, get it rolling. Advertise the donations by word of mouth (specific FB groups and forums vs public press releases).

Let OTHERS see the effort and report on it if they want, we can't prevent that. In no way should our statement on the donation effort be tied to our attempt to resurrect COH, but rather to just reach out and help - like we always do.

Let our actions speak for themselves, vs our speaking about our actions. Make sense?
"Remember. You CHOSE this death." - Lucifer

SkyStreak

• Minion
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2012, 05:41:23 PM »
We've done Real World Hero charity events every year for a while now.....

If CoH isn't around in December, then the likelihood of it gong the same impact is slimmer.  CoH is around NOW, and there's a situation going on NOW that we could help out with.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2012, 05:43:13 PM »
Right.  For instance, it would be one thing to post a link to a donation site on Twitter.  It's another entirely to post that link with the #SaveCOH hashtag in the same post.  Likewise, anyone running any of the Twitter feeds specifically dedicated to CoH or its salvation should avoid posting the link.  It would be fine to do so from an unrelated personal account, though.

Tread lightly.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2012, 05:49:36 PM »
The whole point is to have them go "Wow, these guys are losing their game, but they're still stepping up and helping others."

...if we go about spouting it, we just look like big ol' jerk-faces out for the attention. Or, to rephrase: "If others extoll your virtues, you will be received. If you extoll your virtues, you will be ignored."
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

BobMc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2012, 08:02:53 PM »
I haven't kept up with this thread, but my own thoughts had shifted over the last few days strongly in favor of a very general donation to a charity  rather than earmarked to anything so specific, for the reasons others have given.

My initial post was a very kneejerk thing based on seeing a twitter post about the incoming hurricane, and thinking about public relations... pretty selfish, but doing good anyway.

If we can raise 1000 for a dinner surely we could do a nice amount for a worthy general charity fund, and let them decide where the need is, and how best the funds would help.
The final line of a post  by Sweet_Sarah on Liberty
"Together we entered a city of strangers, we made it a city of friends, and we leave it a City of Heroes."

steve1967

• Minion
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2012, 04:50:49 AM »
I'd also recommend Oxfam or Heifer International as a general charity.  Don't make it Korean-specific.

Or if you do, make sure it s framed VERY well as, "Hey some of those guys who gave us 8 years of fun are in need.  Thanks guys!" and not quid pro quo in any way.