Author Topic: A City of Heroes  (Read 14008 times)

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
A City of Heroes
« on: September 19, 2012, 12:51:12 AM »
I wasn't sure what to title this post, or even where to put it. Perhaps it fits better in Testimonials, but I've already given one of those and this isn't quite a testimony. I prefer to think of it as a shot in the arm, a lantern in the dark, or just a pat on the back.

Let me preface this by stating that I am in no way shape or form a 'leader' type. I'm certainly no TonyV, who has managed to do an amazing job to spearhead this community's response to the news that our world might be shut down in November. I'm also certainly no VV, either. (For starters, I could never make dolls that fantastic!) Both have done a tremendous job to bring us together, keep us focused, and give us ideas, as well as keeping us in the loop information-wise.

Some of that news has disheartened some of us. I'm not going to go into the specifics of the information in question, I think it's been analyzed to death as it is. What I'm going to talk about is you. Each and every one of you, perhaps not individually, but as a whole.

I am not an optimistic or positive person. I've stated in the Testimonials thread that I'm likely undiagnosed, clinically depressed. I wake up and generally my first thoughts involve how much I hate myself, how much the world sucks, and wondering what new dramatic load of negative karma is going to drop on me today. I mention this because I want you all to understand the significance of what I am about to say.

I am optimistic. It's a very cautious optimism, to be sure, especially given how pessimistic I am, but it is there. A spark, a flame, a glowing ember. Pick a metaphor: dealer's choice.

I've heard a lot of negative responses to some recent announcements and information given to us. We've received a few puzzle pieces, but the big picture remains hidden from us. This will likely continue, possibly all the way into November. It's easy to slip into a fugue of negativity and lose hope.

Stand. Your. Ground.

We have already achieved more than any other gaming community has brought to muster when their game, their world, was threatened. More than three thousand(some reports say five thousand!) of us came together one Saturday to show our support for our game, and in so doing, we creating an enduring symbol of our struggle.: Atlas Park 33. This symbol has become so potent that even when the servers need to be shut down for maintenance or upkeep, someone keeps respawning AP33.

We have a petition. I'm sure most, if not all, of us have signed it. As of this writing, that petition has reached 19,133 signatures. For a video game. We know the truth, of course. We know it's more than just a game. One enterprising member of this forum eloquently summed it up, and I'm totally going to crib their statement: "City of Heroes is 'just a game' the same way that family is 'just a group of people.'" Well said, whoever that was, step forward and claim your one (1) free e-cookie of awesome, because that is exactly the sentiment.

Under the guidance of TonyV, we began an email campaign to the heads of NCSoft. It would have been very easy for this campaign to go horribly awry. Instead, we were politely asked to stop emailing those addresses. What's more, they gave us a new email address to continue sending our support, stories, and feedback on the game.

I've said this before, and I'm sorry to keep repeating it, but it's the best way I can think of to put it all together. The developers made the game, the community team made us all welcome, but it was us that made City of Heroes what it is today. Our continued support, community spirit, dedication to each other, and commitment to the spirit of heroism has allowed City of Heroes, our city, to prosper over the past eight years.

Do not lose hope over a few announcements that, at first glance, don't appear to carry the positive feedback we've been desperately seeking. Do not give up your conviction, because the majority of the information we get is in small, easy-to-swallow bite-size pieces and lacks any genuine informational or nutritional value. Do not become disheartened because we've hit the Walls of NCSoft, and feel all our shouting can't even be heard.

I'm telling you right now, this is the wrong line of thinking. We are mighty. We are legion. We are titans.

We are heroes. This is what we do. I am proud of our accomplishments thus far, and know that I can count on each of us to continue making me proud in the coming weeks and months as the fate of our world hangs in the balance. The walls will come down, if we keep shouting. Don't give up. Don't despair. Fight on, valiant heroes. An entire city stands at your back, ready to pick you up should you falter or fall. A city of your allies, your friends, your family, forged over the course of eight years as we fought evil side by side in a virtual world together. A City of Heroes.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
Re: A City of Heroes
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 12:54:15 AM »
If 300 half-dressed guys can hold off the entire Persian army for three days, we can do this!

Ampithere

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 12:57:09 AM »
If 300 half-dressed guys can hold off the entire Persian army for three days, we can do this!

*Nit-picky history major hat* Technically they had thousands of other guys there too. They just weren't as cool.  ;)

*CoHer Hat* Of course we can!  8)
@Rorn

Most recently active as Blue Baron

Guardian Server

Teege

• Boss
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 01:02:13 AM »

300 half-dressed guys would certainly help bring attention to our efforts. I'd be happy to donate time in recruiting models for this. I, uh, I mean... for the sake of helping the efforts! I mean, it's not like... uh oh hey, a Fake Nemesis! *runs*
Keep fighting the good fight!

@Teege - Virtue

www.cohtitan.com

downix

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 01:07:12 AM »
300 half-dressed guys would certainly help bring attention to our efforts. I'd be happy to donate time in recruiting models for this. I, uh, I mean... for the sake of helping the efforts! I mean, it's not like... uh oh hey, a Fake Nemesis! *runs*
*cues up "The Weather Girls" for Teege*

Teege

• Boss
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 01:08:45 AM »
 ;D

Perfect.

@Teege - Virtue

www.cohtitan.com

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 01:24:27 AM »
<faceplam>

That degenerated quickly...
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 01:27:25 AM »
At least our spirits are high, and that's the point. :)
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Teege

• Boss
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 01:29:40 AM »
Drake's message is one that is important and true. Everybody who is taking the time to help our efforts is a hero. We should not stop because of Andy's announcement or that they're throwing a little bit of money back at us.

I was only attempting to crack a few smiles (and not detract his message) because this whole thing can be emotional for people, and not in a good way.

@Teege - Virtue

www.cohtitan.com

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 02:20:29 AM »
/em standing ovation

Being clinically depressive myself--and unable to medicate conventionally because every anti-depressant I have tried flatlines my creative ability--I know how hard it is to function under conditions like this, much less write something this upbeat.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

The-Hunter-JLJ

• Bug Hunter
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 02:48:06 AM »
The Battle of Thermopylae is an apt metaphor, heroes. We face a far superior force, and lesser men and women would despair at the odds against us. The Greeks who chose to fight that rear guard in the narrow pass knew they had no chance of survival. They stood there and died to buy time for their countrymen.

I think we have a better chance than Leonidas the the paltry few thousand who stood with his 300 Spartans. And I doubt that, whatever the outcome, people will write poems, make movies, and erect monuments to our deeds 2,500 years later.

BUT, like the Spartans, and perhaps more importantly the Thespians and Thebans who chose to stand with them, we face a choice. We can choose to stand proudly and fight because it is the right thing to do, though our world may come crashing down around us.

We are heroes, and that means a lot more than any snazzy costume. It means you stand there and resist evil and injustice, even if you may not win. Because it sets an example for the people you protect. Because it is what is RIGHT, and you know in your heart that is more important than victory. Paragon City may fall, but somewhere one of us will erect our own monument, and our ideals will live on:

Stranger, go tell all throughout the land
That here Heroes still make their stand.

Kheprera

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2012, 03:27:34 AM »
Thanks for posting my exact sentiments, DG.  Normally on such things I just take the punch to the gut, accept, and try and figure out "what next."

This is the first time in a very, very long time I've stood up to fight back and say "Not This Time."

I have hope.  Not much, and I fight every day to hold it, but it's the community... always the community... that keeps me here, keeps me going, and keeps me fighting back.

I'm here until the end, regardless of where it takes us.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2012, 03:49:43 AM »
The Battle of Thermopylae is an apt metaphor, heroes. We face a far superior force, and lesser men and women would despair at the odds against us. The Greeks who chose to fight that rear guard in the narrow pass knew they had no chance of survival. They stood there and died to buy time for their countrymen.

Actually... *checks sources*

Hmm, NCSoft has approximately 3,000 employees. Wait, scratch that. 2,920.

What's that petition up to now, 19,000?

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2012, 03:55:49 AM »
*GRINS*

...like I said. We are legion.

Horror-Frost

• Underling
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2012, 03:57:21 AM »
Actually... *checks sources*

Hmm, NCSoft has approximately 3,000 employees. Wait, scratch that. 2,920.

What's that petition up to now, 19,000?

Quick, everyone, grab your shields, spears, and man underwear, we've got em' by the short an' curlies!

StarRanger4

• Boss
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2012, 07:55:54 AM »
/em standing ovation

Being clinically depressive myself--and unable to medicate conventionally because every anti-depressant I have tried flatlines my creative ability--I know how hard it is to function under conditions like this, much less write something this upbeat.

Huh...  I wonder if that explains that while Paxil works for me I've not really written anything fanfiction wise in.. *cough*years*cough*

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2012, 08:59:10 AM »
Huh...  I wonder if that explains that while Paxil works for me I've not really written anything fanfiction wise in.. *cough*years*cough*

It might.  Talk to your doctor if this bothers you.  I use a combination of herbs and supplements that keeps things somewhat at bay, and the rest of the time I tough it out with the help of watching comedy, but that's not for everyone.  You might actually respond better to some of the old antidepressants, before SSRIs.  My editor at DAW does.  But like I said, talk to your doctor if this bothers you. 
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2012, 09:26:52 AM »
Quick, everyone, grab your shields, spears, and man underwear, we've got em' by the short an' curlies!

..er..I can have a bra, right?
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2012, 11:48:33 AM »
I keep coming back to this for inspiration - and it NEVER fails me.

Aragorn's rally at the Black Gates:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXGUNvIFTQw

Aragorn: HOLD YOUR GROUND! HOLD YOUR GROUND! Sons of Gondor, of Rohan, my brothers! I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me!

A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is NOT THIS DAY!

An hour of wolves and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is NOT THIS DAY!

THIS day we FIGHT!

By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you STAND, MEN OF THE WEST!

I will not give up just yet.

Not this day!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 06:53:52 AM by Atlantea »

Vulpy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2012, 12:07:12 PM »

Yeah! Let's go! We can...

Wait. Underwear?

It might.  Talk to your doctor if this bothers you.  I use a combination of herbs and supplements that keeps things somewhat at bay, and the rest of the time I tough it out with the help of watching comedy, but that's not for everyone.  You might actually respond better to some of the old antidepressants, before SSRIs.  My editor at DAW does.  But like I said, talk to your doctor if this bothers you. 

I'll be having dinner tonight with a pharmacist who specializes in mental health. By taking the time to type this, I'm about ten times more likely to remember to ask her opinion on the matter.
@Vulpy
Protector Server

Daimyoshi

• Lieutenant
  • Shinobi
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2012, 12:09:14 PM »
/em standing ovation

Do try limit yourself from cutting pieces of your body to send to the man [or woman to be fair] that you love. A man wouldn't get it and I have it good authority that it never worked when attempted before.

That said the tale of 300 [or 1300] is fitting I think.

Actually we are many Legions based on the petition.

NOT THIS DAY!

Luna Eclypse

• New Efforts # 9,000!
  • Boss
  • Follow my on Twitter @LunaEclypse
    • Luna Eclypse on VirtueVerse
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2012, 06:02:49 PM »

I'm in the same boat as him. Ever since I started Paxil years ago, I've pretty much dropped all artistic endeavors I've ever cared about. Once in a blue moon, I'll sit down and sketch something like I used to but the feeling is very much gone. By the way, hello, VV and everyone else. First post on these forums but I've been reading everything that's going on.
"The Remarkable Dazzling"
Luna Eclypse

StarRanger4

• Boss
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2012, 06:24:03 PM »

I was on several other, older Trycyclic styles before I was put on Paxil.  I dont respond to them as well as I do paxil. I'm a friggin SSRI poser child!

So, it comes down to is this dimming of my creativity worth the loss of the other benifits Paxil gives me?

Since I dont make my living as a writer of fiction; I would have to say no.  Its just something to be aware of, you know?

Luna Eclypse

• New Efforts # 9,000!
  • Boss
  • Follow my on Twitter @LunaEclypse
    • Luna Eclypse on VirtueVerse
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2012, 07:09:39 PM »
So, it comes down to is this dimming of my creativity worth the loss of the other benifits Paxil gives me?

Since I dont make my living as a writer of fiction; I would have to say no.  Its just something to be aware of, you know?

Same here. After a while on Paxil, my artistic urges dropped off and I pretty much abandoned everything I had been working on. But it wasn't my source of income so I felt it was a positive that Paxil would help me to function better at work and it did. I'm starting to find out that I can still muster up some creative juices occasionally, I just have to try harder now. Traditional avenues of drawing/painting & writing are typically fruitless for me though, I'm finding that it's more easy to focus on something digital with creative tools like Photoshop, City of Heroes, or Minecraft.
"The Remarkable Dazzling"
Luna Eclypse

downix

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2012, 07:29:23 PM »
I was on several other, older Trycyclic styles before I was put on Paxil.  I dont respond to them as well as I do paxil. I'm a friggin SSRI poser child!

Having ADHD I have seen similar with our meds. Only in our support community we talk about suppliment options to help overcome the creative lethargy. Just a thought to look into.

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2012, 10:41:23 PM »
I'm going to be all tacky and bump my own thread, because I feel people need to have a visible, positive reminder that they are not alone, and that we are still fighting.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2012, 10:45:34 PM »
DAMN RIGHT we are!

I just put on my Dominator Heels of Pain!

Blitzwing

• Lieutenant
  • Boot to the Head!
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2012, 10:57:01 PM »
As someone who was diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome(a.k.a., High Functioning Autism) in 2000(despite being 28 at the time), and who, in part because of this, is prone to wild mood swings of which I have little to no control over('Aspies' have 2 emotional settings: off and FULL BLAST), I can offer -some- advice....

Paxil had some effect on me, but wasn't enough...we then tried Buspar(spelling?), which also had little effect...; a 3rd attempt combined the 2...and it worked...-too- well...my emotions all but totally shut down...we dropped this combination shortly thereafter, and, with a little help from friends and family, and a VERY knowledgeable doctor(who is the editor-in-chief of Exceptional Parent magazine), I've made big steps in dealing with things!

It's by no means beaten, but I've learned how to suppress a lot of the problems, or at least offset them....

...and yes, City of Heroes has done an IMMENSE amount of good for me, enabling me to do one of the things I do best...tell a story...I got to bring an original character I'd been writing about for 7 years, as of 2004, to 'life'...the AE system had, of course, been a god-send....

So, of course it hit me like a hammer that fateful day when I saw the news...I'd been hoping I could make a comeback, but real-life kept getting in the way('stupid real-life...you go SQUISH, now!')....

But rest assured...even if I can't get back in-game...I'll find a way to support the cause....

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2012, 10:59:31 PM »
The biggest thing to remember is that no matter how disheartened you are...we are all part of the City of Heroes family. No one can ever take that way. Ever.

zoser

• Lieutenant
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2012, 03:51:11 AM »
Thank you very much for your amazing post, Drake - and thank you to everyone who responded. I just woke up and found myself reading some not very encouraging things when I came across this thread. Now I feel much better, having been reminded that I am indeed in the company of heroes.

No matter what happens in the end, it is a privilege to stand side by side with you guys taking a stand against a few short-sighted suits who seem determined to destroy a city that has real monetary value and - more importantly - means the world to us!

I will continue to stand with the friends I made in my seven years and keep shouting at the wall to bring it down. We are heroes, this is what we do!

Zos

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2012, 06:04:55 AM »
DAMN RIGHT we are!

I just put on my Dominator Heels of Pain!

LOL!!!

(glances) Wait... you look serious about that... *Edges slowly away from VV*
 :o

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2012, 06:07:37 AM »
Oh - and just because it was "Talk like a Pirate Day" and I was perusing the quote pages for the POC movies at IMDB - I found this little gem that works for us:

Elizabeth Swann: I understand the burden you bear, but I fear that cause is lost.

Will Turner: No cause is lost if there is but one fool left to fight for it.

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2012, 06:14:59 AM »
Oh - and just because it was "Talk like a Pirate Day" and I was perusing the quote pages for the POC movies at IMDB - I found this little gem that works for us:

...gentlemen...hoist the colours!

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2012, 06:18:54 AM »
...gentlemen...hoist the colours!

The wind's at our back, boys! That's all we need!

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2012, 07:37:50 AM »
LOL!!!

(glances) Wait... you look serious about that... *Edges slowly away from VV*
 :o

Honestly...I am old.  It's more like Rosa Klebb's Sensible Shoes of Pain.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi4gVq7zsTU

Vulpy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2012, 11:04:01 AM »
I'll be having dinner tonight with a pharmacist who specializes in mental health. By taking the time to type this, I'm about ten times more likely to remember to ask her opinion on the matter.

So here's what someone with years of training and years more experience in the field of psychotherapeutic drugs had to say when I asked about antidepressants squelching creativity.

Of the commonly used antidepressants, she estimated that SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors)--things whose generic names end with "-oxetine," and one or two others--would be the most likely to flatten creative energy. Buproprion, by contrast, might even increase it. But! The biggest thing to remember here is that individual responses vary. Plenty of patients have taken SSRIs without losing any creativity. Some people might feel "creatively sterile" after taking buproprion. The absolute most important thing--and this is what I figured going in to the conversation--is having a good relationship with your healthcare team. Then, you can freely discuss these issues; if one (drug) therapy proves troublesome, another one should be used. Different medications have different side effects in different people, even if those medications come from the same drug class. Modern medicine's bag of tricks is quite deep, and there's probably an agent out there that's right for you.

All of that said, any antidepressant will, to some degree, make the patient feel like a different person. Their mechanism of action involves altering brain function to varying degrees and in varying ways. This can be disconcerting, or it can be a worthwhile tradeoff (as was apparently the case for LunaEclypse). Remember, the goal of all drug therapies is to make sure the pros outweigh the cons. If it isn't a worthwhile tradeoff, then something's gone wrong.

I just have one more corollary, and then I'll stop with the threadjack. I mention it because of V.V.'s supplements, but it's good general advice: tell any pharmacies you find yourself using about your herbal or over-the-counter supplements. Some of them have surprising drug interactions, and not everyone thinks to bring them up unprovoked.

Edited to add: Lest I forget, because I meant to spell it out explicitly: all of the above is about clinical depression. Bipolar disorder, sometimes called "manic depression," is a whole 'nother kettle of fish. If you want more information on that, feel free to contact me privately and I'll see what I can dig up.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 11:25:13 AM by Vulpy »
@Vulpy
Protector Server

Sailboat

• Boss
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2012, 03:01:37 PM »

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2012, 08:59:52 PM »
I'm going to bump this one, maybe two more times. I'm still seeing some strong negativity in corners, and I want to make sure everybody has a chance to read through some of the posts here and realize that, again, you are not alone. The fight is not over, negotiations between NCSoft and some of the devs is still on-going, and the fact that these negotiations have even lasted this long is a positive thing.

It shows that NCSoft is at least taking a serious look at the offers on the table, and no doubt negotiation is continuing back and forth as new subjects and points of interest are brought up. If they weren't even somewhat interested in passing along the IP, they would have told our boys(and gals) to go away and stop bugging them already. :)

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2012, 10:59:46 PM »
I'm going to bump this one, maybe two more times. I'm still seeing some strong negativity in corners, and I want to make sure everybody has a chance to read through some of the posts here and realize that, again, you are not alone. The fight is not over, negotiations between NCSoft and some of the devs is still on-going, and the fact that these negotiations have even lasted this long is a positive thing.

It shows that NCSoft is at least taking a serious look at the offers on the table, and no doubt negotiation is continuing back and forth as new subjects and points of interest are brought up. If they weren't even somewhat interested in passing along the IP, they would have told our boys(and gals) to go away and stop bugging them already. :)

This.

Look, even if Formerly Paragon Studios fails, it will probably be because they are having to go from a standing start and somehow come up with the huge amount of money to rehire, re-equip, AND buy the IP.  That still leaves the door open for someone else to buy the IP.  As far as I can tell, NCSoft is NOT saying "we won't sell."

Or as the punchline to the joke goes, "I already know what kind of girl you are, ma'am, right now we are just establishing the price." 

StarRanger4

• Boss
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2012, 03:24:00 AM »

totally True Drake.  I'm tired, I'm discouraged.  But its not over yet.  Win, loose or draw we keep fighting till that fat lady sings.

in fact, Don Quioxte sort of sums up my feelings at the moment:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfHnzYEHAow

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2012, 06:43:17 AM »
Honestly...I am old.  It's more like Rosa Klebb's Sensible Shoes of Pain.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi4gVq7zsTU

That's NOT HELPING!  LOL   :D

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2012, 09:44:23 AM »
Ever since the news about the sun-setting of COH was posted on the CoH forums, I have been thinking about the various MMO communities.
Granted, I haven't visited every MMO out there. I have, however, played several of them.
Of all the MMOs I've been a part of, CoH has had the most unique community that I have seen.
I have a theory about why that may be.

It seems to me that many, I would go so far as to say that a vast majority of the long time players, have invested a lot of themselves into the characters that they play.
In so doing, they are influenced and even inspired to become more like the very heroes that they play.
So, this community, full of players inspired by heroes, acts with more integrity than any other that I have seen.

In a very real sense, this game that people use to get away from the stress of the real world, changes them for the better.
It urges them to actually be the heroes that the real world needs.

I'm sure that this would have been much more inspiring if I had an author's way with words.
It's just really hard for me to put how I feel down on paper, so to speak.  :-[

Oh look. Registered in 2009, and I finally have my first post.  :roll:
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2012, 12:37:13 PM »
I think you did just fine, there, Twisted Toon. :)

Heavy Ion

• Minion
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2012, 03:12:25 PM »
The thing to remember about being positive or negative is it can become a self-fulfilling prophecy. True, we aren't the hand lingering over the on/off switch, but we can hold that hand back for a long time with our efforts - by telling everyone we know that we love this world and we want it to continue. If we allow despair to take hold, all of the heroes leave the battlefield.

Do everything you can to keep people's spirits up. We need them to keep fighting. Stay optimistic. Focus on what we know to be true - this world is worth saving and there is plenty of realistic hope remaining. If we should lose this fight, don't let it be because there weren't enough people shaking their fists, defiant until the end.

Now everyone pop a Break Free and get back in the fight.

Nafaustu

• Boss
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2012, 07:54:04 PM »
The thing to remember about being positive or negative is it can become a self-fulfilling prophecy. True, we aren't the hand lingering over the on/off switch, but we can hold that hand back for a long time with our efforts - by telling everyone we know that we love this world and we want it to continue. If we allow despair to take hold, all of the heroes leave the battlefield.

Do everything you can to keep people's spirits up. We need them to keep fighting. Stay optimistic. Focus on what we know to be true - this world is worth saving and there is plenty of realistic hope remaining. If we should lose this fight, don't let it be because there weren't enough people shaking their fists, defiant until the end.

Now everyone pop a Break Free and get back in the fight.

I agree with this so hard that I logged in to quote it for what I think might be first post.

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2012, 08:24:05 PM »
I agree with this so hard that I logged in to quote it for what I think might be first post.

Indeed it is your first post, and I also agree with the sentiment here. (Obviously, or I'd never have written my small novella that began this thread! :P )

Welcome to the fray, friend. Plenty of Insps to go around, including some Wakies. Let's keep at it, heroes.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2012, 03:50:13 AM »
Ever since the news about the sun-setting of COH was posted on the CoH forums, I have been thinking about the various MMO communities.
Granted, I haven't visited every MMO out there. I have, however, played several of them.
Of all the MMOs I've been a part of, CoH has had the most unique community that I have seen.
I have a theory about why that may be.

It seems to me that many, I would go so far as to say that a vast majority of the long time players, have invested a lot of themselves into the characters that they play.
In so doing, they are influenced and even inspired to become more like the very heroes that they play.
So, this community, full of players inspired by heroes, acts with more integrity than any other that I have seen.

In a very real sense, this game that people use to get away from the stress of the real world, changes them for the better.
It urges them to actually be the heroes that the real world needs.

I'm sure that this would have been much more inspiring if I had an author's way with words.
It's just really hard for me to put how I feel down on paper, so to speak.  :-[

I could not have said it better myself.

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2012, 08:56:10 AM »
I could not have said it better myself.
That means a lot to me, coming from you. :)

By the way, I met one of your fans over on The Secret World MMO forums.

At least, I figured he was a fan, since he used the name Ashkevron. :)

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

The-Hunter-JLJ

• Bug Hunter
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2012, 12:52:24 AM »
That means a lot to me, coming from you. :)

By the way, I met one of your fans over on The Secret World MMO forums.

At least, I figured he was a fan, since he used the name Ashkevron. :)

(Lol) I am wondering to this day who was driving the really well done Kethryveris I chatted with for a while one night in DDO. They knew their Velgarth lore, too.

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2012, 02:24:44 PM »
This will be the last time I bump my own thread.

Over all, I've seen a lot more positivity around here, and for that I am grateful. I feel, however, there are still a few who could benefit from seeing a message of positivity and support. We're all a family here, and sometimes family needs a reminder that we're not alone.

* DrakeGrimm hugs everyone!

The-Hunter-JLJ

• Bug Hunter
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2012, 04:31:58 PM »
Just point 'em out, Drake, and we'll berate, belittle, and harangue them until their attitude becomes positive. ... What? ... Why are you looking at me like that?  ;D

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2012, 05:21:23 PM »
"The beatings will continue until morale improves!"   :D

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2012, 09:06:27 PM »
"The beatings will continue until morale improves!"   :D
You are, or know, a Marine, right? ;D

Cinnder

• Boss
« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2012, 10:26:49 PM »
Wasn't sure where to post this, so I thought here was as good as anywhere.

Last week I visited an exhibit on video games at the Smithsonian's American Art Museum in DC.  The very first placard had this to say, which I thought rather relevant to our situation:

Three Voices
Artist, Game, Player

Video games combine graphics, sound,
story, and interaction to create meaningful
and immersive experiences.  Imaginative
artists and designers use this medium to
create worlds and tell stories.  None of this
is possible, however, without the participation
of the player.  Everyone who plays a game
puts a little of themselves into the experience,
and takes away something that is wholly unique.
The conversation among the game, the artist,
and the player is critical to understanding video
games as art.

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2012, 11:11:39 PM »
Wasn't sure where to post this, so I thought here was as good as anywhere.

Last week I visited an exhibit on video games at the Smithsonian's American Art Museum in DC.  The very first placard had this to say, which I thought rather relevant to our situation:

Three Voices
Artist, Game, Player

Video games combine graphics, sound,
story, and interaction to create meaningful
and immersive experiences.  Imaginative
artists and designers use this medium to
create worlds and tell stories.  None of this
is possible, however, without the participation
of the player.  Everyone who plays a game
puts a little of themselves into the experience,
and takes away something that is wholly unique.
The conversation among the game, the artist,
and the player is critical to understanding video
games as art.

...I swear if that weren't so lengthy it would be my new forum sig. My hat is off to the bloody brilliant genius who wrote that.