Author Topic: A City of Heroes  (Read 14005 times)

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
Re: A City of Heroes
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2012, 06:43:17 AM »
Honestly...I am old.  It's more like Rosa Klebb's Sensible Shoes of Pain.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi4gVq7zsTU

That's NOT HELPING!  LOL   :D

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2012, 09:44:23 AM »
Ever since the news about the sun-setting of COH was posted on the CoH forums, I have been thinking about the various MMO communities.
Granted, I haven't visited every MMO out there. I have, however, played several of them.
Of all the MMOs I've been a part of, CoH has had the most unique community that I have seen.
I have a theory about why that may be.

It seems to me that many, I would go so far as to say that a vast majority of the long time players, have invested a lot of themselves into the characters that they play.
In so doing, they are influenced and even inspired to become more like the very heroes that they play.
So, this community, full of players inspired by heroes, acts with more integrity than any other that I have seen.

In a very real sense, this game that people use to get away from the stress of the real world, changes them for the better.
It urges them to actually be the heroes that the real world needs.

I'm sure that this would have been much more inspiring if I had an author's way with words.
It's just really hard for me to put how I feel down on paper, so to speak.  :-[

Oh look. Registered in 2009, and I finally have my first post.  :roll:
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2012, 12:37:13 PM »
I think you did just fine, there, Twisted Toon. :)
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Heavy Ion

• Minion
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2012, 03:12:25 PM »
The thing to remember about being positive or negative is it can become a self-fulfilling prophecy. True, we aren't the hand lingering over the on/off switch, but we can hold that hand back for a long time with our efforts - by telling everyone we know that we love this world and we want it to continue. If we allow despair to take hold, all of the heroes leave the battlefield.

Do everything you can to keep people's spirits up. We need them to keep fighting. Stay optimistic. Focus on what we know to be true - this world is worth saving and there is plenty of realistic hope remaining. If we should lose this fight, don't let it be because there weren't enough people shaking their fists, defiant until the end.

Now everyone pop a Break Free and get back in the fight.

Nafaustu

• Boss
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2012, 07:54:04 PM »
The thing to remember about being positive or negative is it can become a self-fulfilling prophecy. True, we aren't the hand lingering over the on/off switch, but we can hold that hand back for a long time with our efforts - by telling everyone we know that we love this world and we want it to continue. If we allow despair to take hold, all of the heroes leave the battlefield.

Do everything you can to keep people's spirits up. We need them to keep fighting. Stay optimistic. Focus on what we know to be true - this world is worth saving and there is plenty of realistic hope remaining. If we should lose this fight, don't let it be because there weren't enough people shaking their fists, defiant until the end.

Now everyone pop a Break Free and get back in the fight.

I agree with this so hard that I logged in to quote it for what I think might be first post.

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2012, 08:24:05 PM »
I agree with this so hard that I logged in to quote it for what I think might be first post.

Indeed it is your first post, and I also agree with the sentiment here. (Obviously, or I'd never have written my small novella that began this thread! :P )

Welcome to the fray, friend. Plenty of Insps to go around, including some Wakies. Let's keep at it, heroes.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2012, 03:50:13 AM »
Ever since the news about the sun-setting of COH was posted on the CoH forums, I have been thinking about the various MMO communities.
Granted, I haven't visited every MMO out there. I have, however, played several of them.
Of all the MMOs I've been a part of, CoH has had the most unique community that I have seen.
I have a theory about why that may be.

It seems to me that many, I would go so far as to say that a vast majority of the long time players, have invested a lot of themselves into the characters that they play.
In so doing, they are influenced and even inspired to become more like the very heroes that they play.
So, this community, full of players inspired by heroes, acts with more integrity than any other that I have seen.

In a very real sense, this game that people use to get away from the stress of the real world, changes them for the better.
It urges them to actually be the heroes that the real world needs.

I'm sure that this would have been much more inspiring if I had an author's way with words.
It's just really hard for me to put how I feel down on paper, so to speak.  :-[

I could not have said it better myself.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2012, 08:56:10 AM »
I could not have said it better myself.
That means a lot to me, coming from you. :)

By the way, I met one of your fans over on The Secret World MMO forums.

At least, I figured he was a fan, since he used the name Ashkevron. :)

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

The-Hunter-JLJ

• Bug Hunter
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2012, 12:52:24 AM »
That means a lot to me, coming from you. :)

By the way, I met one of your fans over on The Secret World MMO forums.

At least, I figured he was a fan, since he used the name Ashkevron. :)

(Lol) I am wondering to this day who was driving the really well done Kethryveris I chatted with for a while one night in DDO. They knew their Velgarth lore, too.

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2012, 02:24:44 PM »
This will be the last time I bump my own thread.

Over all, I've seen a lot more positivity around here, and for that I am grateful. I feel, however, there are still a few who could benefit from seeing a message of positivity and support. We're all a family here, and sometimes family needs a reminder that we're not alone.

* DrakeGrimm hugs everyone!

The-Hunter-JLJ

• Bug Hunter
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2012, 04:31:58 PM »
Just point 'em out, Drake, and we'll berate, belittle, and harangue them until their attitude becomes positive. ... What? ... Why are you looking at me like that?  ;D

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2012, 05:21:23 PM »
"The beatings will continue until morale improves!"   :D

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2012, 09:06:27 PM »
"The beatings will continue until morale improves!"   :D
You are, or know, a Marine, right? ;D

Cinnder

• Boss
« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2012, 10:26:49 PM »
Wasn't sure where to post this, so I thought here was as good as anywhere.

Last week I visited an exhibit on video games at the Smithsonian's American Art Museum in DC.  The very first placard had this to say, which I thought rather relevant to our situation:

Three Voices
Artist, Game, Player

Video games combine graphics, sound,
story, and interaction to create meaningful
and immersive experiences.  Imaginative
artists and designers use this medium to
create worlds and tell stories.  None of this
is possible, however, without the participation
of the player.  Everyone who plays a game
puts a little of themselves into the experience,
and takes away something that is wholly unique.
The conversation among the game, the artist,
and the player is critical to understanding video
games as art.

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2012, 11:11:39 PM »
Wasn't sure where to post this, so I thought here was as good as anywhere.

Last week I visited an exhibit on video games at the Smithsonian's American Art Museum in DC.  The very first placard had this to say, which I thought rather relevant to our situation:

Three Voices
Artist, Game, Player

Video games combine graphics, sound,
story, and interaction to create meaningful
and immersive experiences.  Imaginative
artists and designers use this medium to
create worlds and tell stories.  None of this
is possible, however, without the participation
of the player.  Everyone who plays a game
puts a little of themselves into the experience,
and takes away something that is wholly unique.
The conversation among the game, the artist,
and the player is critical to understanding video
games as art.

...I swear if that weren't so lengthy it would be my new forum sig. My hat is off to the bloody brilliant genius who wrote that.