Author Topic: In Game Advertisements  (Read 22537 times)

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
Re: In Game Advertisements
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2012, 06:16:12 AM »
Mmmmm...  Gamestop stores in-game?  There's a slippery slope.  ;)
It's so... meta.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2012, 06:45:04 AM »
Guys? There was a point in that other thread that bears repeating - if only so we can figure out a way around it:

(Ghost Falcon here, on my personal account).

Ultimately, in-game advertising via billboards just didn't prove very successful. In a game where players can super speed, super jump, fly and teleport, players did not stay in front of an advertisement long enough to count as an advertisement "impression". (Note: "Impression" is defined as a player's character standing within a predefined area (and facing the ad) for a specified amount of time.)

Additionally, by providing players the option to turn off in-game advertising, those impressions were reduced even further.

He's right. I have one character with superspeed/superleap - another with flight - another with Superleap.

The one with SS/SL is FAST - velocity Hard-capped. When I'm racing down Steel Canyon I barely see/notice billboards at all.

The one with flight is often too high to see the ads.

The one with superleap? If I HAPPEN to land right in front of one that's distinctive? I might notice it. But most of the time I'm concentrating on where I'm going to land and take off from next and pointing in the right direction.

A little history lesson for you with shaving cream as the example - Burma Shave:

(From Wiki-pedia) Burma-Shave sign series first appeared in Minneapolis, Minnesota in 1925, and remained a major advertising component until 1963 in most of the contiguous United States. The exceptions were New Mexico, Arizona, and Nevada (deemed to have insufficient road traffic), and Massachusetts (eliminated due to that state's high land rentals and roadside foliage). Typically, six consecutive small signs would be posted along the edge of highways, spaced for sequential reading by passing motorists. The last sign was almost always the name of the product.

This use of the billboard was a successful advertising gimmick during the early years of the automobile, drawing attention and passers-by who were curious to discover the punchline. As the Interstate system expanded in the late 1950s and vehicle speeds increased, it became more difficult to attract motorists' attention with small signs.

(For the curious - the progression of the signs went like the following examples:
Every shaver / Now can snore / Six more minutes / Than before / By using / Burma-Shave
Train approaching / Whistle squealing / Stop / Avoid that run-down feeling / Burma-Shave
If you dislike / Big traffic fines / Slow down / Till you / Can read these signs / Burma-Shave )

So that's the main problem I see - the billboards in Paragon City would work for cars (in theory) and slower moving characters without travel powers. But once you get travel powers, it becomes a problem.

So what to do? Well - put them in places where the characters are naturally going to be slowed down or moving through tight spaces - or even stationary just hanging around.

I suggest Pocket "D" as the first place. C'mon! It's A BAR. How many advertisements do you ALWAYS see IN A BAR?  There's all that wide-open window space to the outside. Put some holographic/see-through ads along the top half of those windows - or even neon signage style! Put ads behind the bars. Put the ads in the Lobby coming into the bar from the various entrances!

Next suggestion: Put a few in the power suppression room of AE. Or even in the kiosk area near the Interface node. (Perhaps using the same "semi-transparent/neon signage style suggested for the windows in Pocket D.)

Have a supergroup base? Want to reduce the cost of your rent? Put up some ads in your base!

Put up ads along the back wall of ICON (Facemaker for Villains?)

Put up ads in the various HO Stores.

Yin's Market.

Or anywhere the Heroes/Villains are going to be SLOWED DOWN - STOPPED - LOOKING AROUND.

(OOohhh!! Hey! If NCSoft wants to buy adspace in the game, we'll let them do so - but ONLY IN THE ROGUE ISLANDS!!! :D)

So what do you guys think?

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2012, 07:42:26 AM »
I think that's really smart.

Also at every contact that starts a TF/SF.

And at the stores/trainer spot in DA where we all gather for Incarnate Trials now.

And behind Lady Grey.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2012, 07:46:50 AM »
Ouroboros: Proudly accepts the sponsorship of Crey Cola! Now in two new flavors!
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2012, 07:51:52 AM »

So what to do? Well - put them in places where the characters are naturally going to be slowed down or moving through tight spaces - or even stationary just hanging around.

I suggest Pocket "D" as the first place. C'mon! It's A BAR. How many advertisements do you ALWAYS see IN A BAR?  There's all that wide-open window space to the outside. Put some holographic/see-through ads along the top half of those windows - or even neon signage style! Put ads behind the bars. Put the ads in the Lobby coming into the bar from the various entrances!

Hah, I was just about to say maybe add some ads for beauty products and perfume at the tailors (Icon & Facemaker)! :p
My solution to the problem would be to suggest placing them in locations where players naturally hold still, such as; in the tram station, on the ferries, at the trainers, near mission contacts... etc.

Edit: Oops! Seems it was already mentioned when I had to afk mid-posting! Ah well! :D

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2012, 07:57:34 AM »
Also, that bar proposition with the holo-ads makes me think of Mass Effect/Star Wars for some reason >.>
(I like it!)

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2012, 08:40:19 AM »
Ouroboros: Proudly accepts the sponsorship of Crey Cola! Now in two new flavors!

Heh.

You've reminded me of a caveat I should've mentioned - there are a few places in the game where placing obvious ads wouldn't feel appropriate, and Ouroboros is one of them.

I also like VV's suggestion for placing ads around the TF/SF Contacts - to a point. The ones in the city? Yes. Ones in places "out in the wild" like The Woodsman in Eden or Imperious in Cimerora? Obviously not

DO try to also make the ads near the trainers/TF contacts look "naturally placed." They should be nearby and obvious. But perhaps not RIGHT BEHIND the NPC contact.

For example - Dr. Kahn for the Reichsman TF. He's in Founders Falls near the Gaspee. Directly behind him is nothing but a canal. Ok. Don't put the ads back there - that's a residential area ( I assume ) and putting billboards on the canal? Tacky.

But he's right across the street from a line of stores, just down the way is the Tram station and close by is the Vanguard base entrance. These are all good places to put ads already. So put them there and make sure that a significant proportion of them face towards the gathering area in front of him. Put some billboards on top of the storefronts - at the edges of the little park area in front of the tram etc.

On the other hand - Numina and Infernal are in that lovely area with the Greek Columns. And it would seem wrong - even though they are in the city - to muck up that area with ads.

But on the gripping hand, the area around the Talos Station? OH HELL YES! PLACE THOSE ADS CHOCK-A-BLOCK!! Everyone goes through Talos eventually, and that area is obviously modeled on strip-mall retail areas. That is PRIMO Advertising location right there! Especially IN THE TRAM EXIT. There shouldn't hardly be ANY Wall space that isn't plastered with ads in that little area where the heroes get on and off the trams! If you've ever been through the New York Subway or the London underground, you'll understand that adspace in a tram station is the natural order of things!

So I assume you see where I'm going with this - Ads should be placed in high traffic areas where heroes are forced to slow down and stop. With some notable exceptions based on logic and taste.

One last consideration. Praetoria.

I don't think we should put real world ads there. Reasons:

1) Alternate Universe. Different products. (Enriche, etc)

2) EVERYTHING in Praetoria serves the story there, including the billboards. Propaganda is a HUGE theme in Praetoria. So don't mess with it!

3) If you move from Primal Earth Paragon City/Rogue Islands to Praetoria, the LACK of real world ads would add to the sense of "the other". The sense of this world having a VERY different history. To build on #2 above, it's all part of the "cultural zeitgeist" of Praetoria.

What do you think?

Lycantropus

• Elite Boss
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2012, 08:53:55 AM »
The only way it would have really worked is load screens (that could be measured, and even as the best times, restricted) but to 'sell' it to the fanbase it would have had to have an in-game connotation to make it work.

Sorry, that's the way I see it, and that's the sad truth. While a McDonalds franchise in-game would have been neat to see, it just wouldn't have been a seller to an advertiser. There would be no way to 'guarantee' visibility...

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2012, 09:15:44 AM »
The only way it would have really worked is load screens (that could be measured, and even as the best times, restricted) but to 'sell' it to the fanbase it would have had to have an in-game connotation to make it work.

Sorry, that's the way I see it, and that's the sad truth. While a McDonalds franchise in-game would have been neat to see, it just wouldn't have been a seller to an advertiser. There would be no way to 'guarantee' visibility...
As mentioned before, there's no reason they couldn't do those too - it would be nice for subscribers to have those turned off by default though (while still seeing the boards)

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2012, 12:10:01 PM »
Oh, it could get slipprier: Steam with its own retail outlet in-game.

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2012, 12:49:39 PM »
Oh, it could get slipprier: Steam with its own retail outlet in-game.

...there goes my paychecks in their entirety...
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2012, 12:57:49 PM »

...there goes my paychecks in their entirety...

I would make my wife very unhappy with me if this one came about.

I would be opposed to ads in the bases, but product placement...
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 01:05:19 PM by dwturducken »
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2012, 12:58:37 PM »
I would make my wife very unhappy with me if this one came about...

I would be opposed to ads in the bases, but product placement...

I wouldn't mind having a Coke machine in the lobby of Liberty Manor or something. >.>

Riff

• Lieutenant
« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2012, 01:06:53 PM »
They tried this a long time back... Ghost Raptor was the EU CC then so it was probably around 2007. They advertised one movie and then nobody else was interested

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2012, 01:17:07 PM »
My understanding is that there was a lot of pushback from players, largely because they were ALL subscribers at the time and paying for the privilege. I think a revamping as the game is being saved and while it's a f2p game will work better.

Now, attracting advertisers is another matter; it may be difficult to do. We'll have to show there's an audience.

The more the community is built around both casual "hanging out" online and superheroics, the more it will likely attract a wider audience. It may even be worthwhile to create a somewhat lower-level account type that just lets a casual person log in with a vaguely generic avatar to "look around" as a non-super on the street. (With awareness that straying outside of "safe zones" might get the random street gangs picking on them. Or maybe giving them aggro-free wandering as long as they stay out of events.) This would allow parents, SOs, random friends, etc. to log in to see if their player-buddies are online, send them a chat in-game without asking them to log off to use Skype or the like, etc. And if there are online retail outfits that are more fun to browse than the standard web site, it could be an attraction.

Of course, that level of interplay is getting pie-in-the-sky, so I should stop daydreamnig about it for the moment. Right now, just allowing billboards, sponsored "vending machines," "retail stores" and maybe allowing purveyors to pay for the privilege of creating in-game costume pieces that bear their name brand (the way people buy Calvin Klein and the like just to have the logo splayed across their jeans) would be a good start. Could vastly increase the "secret identity"/"street clothes" stuff available to players' characters.

Turjan

• Elite Boss
  • You cannot kill a dream
« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2012, 05:06:48 PM »
Nope, we definitely had a Babylon AD advert on the Union and Defiant back in the day. It was the only advert we had. I assume the EU and US servers ran different ads.
We did indeed have the Babylon AD advert on Union and Defiant, I remember it well.

AT first I thought "Oh, that's novel" and smiled whenever I saw the ad as I raced round Paragon. Then after a while it began to irritate me because it literally was the ONLY real world ad, so I turned off the "show adverts ingame" feature from the options menu. Then after another while, I realised I'd actually got used to seeing the ad...so I turned the feature back on again :)

Didn't last long as an experiment though - when I asked some of my CoH playing friends, they said things like : "It spoils the parallel universe feel, you know?" and "I'm paying for the game, why should I have to put up with adverts everywhere too?"

Personally I don't see either of those arguments as particularly valid. For the first one, any products alluded to in the 'parallel' worlds of superhero comicbooks are often so close to reality that it's blindingly obvious what's being referenced. And for the second, if you buy a newspaper, are you going to complain about the adverts in it with the logic that because you bought a newspaper, every inch of paper should have a news story on it?

ohms

• Boss
    • OV website
« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2012, 06:33:02 PM »
For the first one, any products alluded to in the 'parallel' worlds of superhero comicbooks are often so close to reality that it's blindingly obvious what's being referenced.

It could have been a parallel universe where the film didn't suck ;)

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2012, 06:47:42 PM »
The "parallel" feel may have to be sacrificed some, yes, but I think that objection is a bit of a reach, anyway. Especially now that it's f2p.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2012, 07:16:23 PM »
Of course, that level of interplay is getting pie-in-the-sky, so I should stop daydreamnig about it for the moment. Right now, just allowing billboards, sponsored "vending machines," "retail stores" and maybe allowing purveyors to pay for the privilege of creating in-game costume pieces that bear their name brand (the way people buy Calvin Klein and the like just to have the logo splayed across their jeans) would be a good start. Could vastly increase the "secret identity"/"street clothes" stuff available to players' characters.

You have to be VERY careful with that in video games. You're basically talking about trying to open Pandora's box just a crack and hoping all Hell doesn't break loose.

The moment you give sponsors that much power and get that much money from them, they start to feel entitled to control other elements of gameplay, just like a producer stepping on the toes of the director. While there are a lot of junk games out there, there are a lot more GOOD games coming out every year than there are GOOD movies. There's a reason for that. Developers/Distributors can still often survive on their own without needing game characters running around with Red Bull shirts, unlike television, where the ratio of showtime to ad-time shifts further in favor of ads each year. If we ever reach a point where video games are as dependent upon product insertion as TV and film is, it will utterly destroy the creative freedom of the industry.

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2012, 07:38:29 PM »
Maintaining control is pretty simple: take a "take it or leave it" stance. Don't be rude about it, just be firm. Provide them tools or services to design some in-game stuff, but hold them to the same standards you would a player with a VIP account. They are paying customers, but that doesn't give them any more "creative control rights" than it gives a paying player.