Author Topic: License info for songs on the Wiki?  (Read 2813 times)

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
License info for songs on the Wiki?
« on: September 19, 2012, 03:44:35 PM »
http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Music

I didn't see any way to view this, and am trying to figure out who owns the music, and who I need to bug if I need a license to use it. I've heard that a lot of it is stock music and/or creative commons, but see no way of determining this.

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
Re: License info for songs on the Wiki?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 08:19:20 PM »
The music for Going Rogue was composed by Jason Graves, though it's unclear if he composed all music introduced since then. It seems likely to me since most music (at least for the zone neighborhoods) shares thematic elements. Also unclear is whether the music was composed as "work for hire," which would make it the property of NCsoft, or as "commissions," which would remain the property of the composer.

Generally, though, all music and sound work went through Austin, so that would probably be the first place to ask.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 08:27:49 PM »
The closest thing I can think of to cover use of the music is the Fan Site License, but I suppose even that enters a grey area when we're talking about a video that will be posted on YouTube rather than being specifically hosted on a fan site.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 11:32:51 PM »
If there were any music in the fansite pack, I wouldn't even be worrying about it that much. It certainly wouldn't be the first youtube video to use the music. My main concern is risking giving anyone in high places an excuse to cry copyright infringement as an excuse to get the video taken down for reasons OTHER than copyright infringement. What's weird is, I could swear that when I first downloaded the fan kit years ago, that a couple of the songs were included. Either I'm totally remembering that wrong, or NC's licenses expired and they had to remove it.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 12:12:11 AM »
At one time, all of the music was on the FTP site.  I don't recall whether or not it was all zipped into one of the fansite kits (looking for those ZIP files on my hard drive right now), but it was all out there for download.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov