Author Topic: NCSoft Stockwatch  (Read 714274 times)

Solaris

• Minion
Re: NCSoft Stockwatch
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2012, 01:52:23 AM »
Posted for a friend.
They say hindsight is 20-20. Some comments /fears about Nexon expressed otherwise is June 2012. Indicative of a general feeling, might have helped to push NCSoft's stock to it's current state. http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/39016-nexon-today-acquired-3218091-shares-of-ncsoft/

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2012, 05:51:23 AM »
Has anyone checked stock prices for other MMO companies? I wonder how PWE and SOE are doing (since they own Champions Online and DCUO respectively)

Compare them to NCsoft and see how they're doing?

Turjan

• Elite Boss
  • You cannot kill a dream
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2012, 03:45:55 PM »
It's also a point to remember that while Nexon own 15% of NCSoft, the two companies are not merged in any way, so it's logical to include Nexon's share link here too -
Nexon Co Ltd

(aside: On Oct 1st 2012, Nexon acquired all shares in gloops, Inc. a Japanese mobile game company - seems their eyes are firmly fixed on the casual/handheld side of the gaming industry for the future - interesting when you remember the 'reason' NCSoft West cited for the closure of CoH was this : "The continued support of the franchise no longer fits with our long-term goals for the company." Considering Nexon acquired 15% of NCSoft shares in June, and NCSoft had diligently supported CoH for 7 years prior to Nexon's involvement, one has to start wondering if this sudden about face was entirely an internal NCSoft decision...)

Oh, and why not also for the sake of completion -

Activision Blizzard Inc

and...

Electronic Arts inc

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2012, 05:30:12 PM »
They've been going up ever since the 2nd.  :roll:

Turjan

• Elite Boss
  • You cannot kill a dream
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2012, 06:11:08 PM »
They've been going up ever since the 2nd.  :roll:
True - but they're still over 9% down on what they were exactly a month ago.

RedWolfeXR

• Underling
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2012, 11:53:53 PM »
As others have  said, stock prices are fickle.  If everyone expected 4M sales of GW2 months ago then the "value" of those sales is basically "priced in" to the current valuation.

If the product THEN sells 2M (which is STILL a lot of boxes and a lot of cash) instead the balance sheet may show a dip but the stock price could tumble dramatically.  (which it did)

Missing your EPS always does nasty things to stock.  Its all perception.  Tossing a few IP/titles and employees to the wolves may well be an attempt to moderate that opinion which is mostly in Korea.  Note that CoH seriously tanked in Korea, and it SOUNDS good to the average Korean investor that doesn't know the US market. 

Plus its not just what your stock its doing, its what related ones are doing.

I got laid off from one company because they did deep cuts after missing EPS due to sales being down.  (too deep IMO, and not just because it was deep enough to get me)

Lucretia MacEvil

« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2012, 04:37:03 PM »
According to http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/snapshot/snapshot.asp?ticker=036570:KS NCsoft stock hit a 52-week low yesterday (10/24), and as this chart shows http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/charts/charts.asp?ticker=036570:KS there's been a downward trend since 9/7. 

... did we do that?

Celtic Fist

• Underling
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2012, 04:45:12 PM »
It would be nice to accredit the fall to NCsoft decision on CoH but lower then expected return on recently releases or other factors are probably a major factor. 

I am not familar with how to get news of CoH decision and community outrage/activity to be linked to the stock data on the various business stock reporting sites but it could offer that the company is not being well managed.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2012, 05:05:09 PM »
Agreed, the stock market is such a volatile and finicky mistress that unless there's a very clear and major shift, any connection between stock price and coh-related events is tenuous at best.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2012, 05:07:56 PM »
If the Unity Rally didn't factor into it though... I mean, look at the image I posted. The fates must have quite a sense of humor. The overall trend for that period took a turn on that weekend.

Lucretia MacEvil

« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2012, 07:45:20 PM »
lower then expected return on recently releases or other factors are probably a major factor. 

Didn't we contribute to that, too, by letting others know how NCsoft does business?

Heat Guard

• Minion
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2012, 10:39:08 PM »
Didn't we contribute to that, too, by letting others know how NCsoft does business?
I can't speak for anyone else, but thinking that what we have done so far may have helped the nosedive helps deal with this situation a little.

P51mus

• Boss
  • aka Pitho
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2012, 12:32:00 AM »
I can't speak for anyone else, but thinking that what we have done so far may have helped the nosedive helps deal with this situation a little.

Schadenfreude

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2012, 12:45:24 AM »
We may not have contributed but you bet your rosy derriere I am going to use that news.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2012, 01:22:49 AM »

Need to update that graphic to include the huge dip immediately after all the events and press coverage after double XP weekend.  :D

Celtic Fist

• Underling
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2012, 01:25:33 PM »
Checked the NCsoft stock numbers morning and they are a new 52 week low.

http://www.reuters.com/finance/stocks/overview?symbol=036570.KS

Seems like some Justice .. keep up the good fight.

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2012, 04:21:19 PM »
If I was part of this company, I'd be horrified! Our customers hope we fail, keep up with our stock and cheer when it drops, make fun of our latest products and distribute mocking images online. I can't imagine a more dreadful situation. And it's an entertainment company?

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2012, 04:27:58 PM »
If I was part of this company, I'd be horrified! Our customers hope we fail, keep up with our stock and cheer when it drops, make fun of our latest products and distribute mocking images online. I can't imagine a more dreadful situation. And it's an entertainment company?

I don't think that's really a new thing. There is a redside of many of us that is waiting for Hollywood to get swallowed by a 9.9er to level the playing field in the hopes that professional film-making will take a step back to something a bit less formulaic and in-bred. The entertainment industry in general also currently wears the crown when it comes to pushing the government to find ways to bring them more money, as they whine that they're somehow being treated unfairly. And have you seen the kind of reputation EA currently has?

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2012, 04:48:52 PM »
Need to update that graphic to include the huge dip immediately after all the events and press coverage after double XP weekend.  :D

That last major drop started a couple days before that weekend.