Author Topic: NCSoft Stockwatch  (Read 714512 times)

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
Re: NCSoft Stockwatch
« Reply #280 on: November 14, 2012, 02:00:49 PM »
There was a study once wherein they got cat-owners to let them put little cameras on their cats. Turns out the little beasts are genuine monsters when it comes to hunting; the kill-counts are way, way higher on just about all of them than any of their owners ever suspected. I've read unrelated theories based on cat behavior that they may not even truly be domesticated; like tigers who eat their owners one day, cats are still wild animals who just have come to recognize a source of comfort and occasional companionship. With house cats, we're safe mainly because we're too big to kill.

That said, I know enough people whose cats love them dearly that it's probable that they are capable of affection without being fully domesticated, if that latter theory is even true.

Flashtoo

• Minion
« Reply #281 on: November 14, 2012, 04:20:49 PM »
I have three rescue cats now, all indoor moggies, and between them, their known kill count is one (a large moth, swatted out of the air and eaten, by the biggest one). Wouldn't be surprised if the female caught a few creepy-crawlies as well, but the youngest is basically still a kitten and would probably just run away from anything big enough to notice. My first cat, however, was a not-quite-feral lady that we took in and she brought us plenty of little animals; I'm pretty sure she saw us as her children. When she was dying of mouth cancer she tried never to let us see her in pain, though sometimes we could hear her crying when she went off to be alone. I miss her terribly. Hell, I miss my current three terribly; they're in Massachusetts and I'm in Texas.

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
  • "I'd rather go out a hero than a coward."
« Reply #282 on: November 14, 2012, 04:36:29 PM »
I have two Rescued cats... heck almost all my animals I had throughout life been rescued one way or another.  Just got a grey fur ball of a kitten!  ... still hasn't learned not to go after my toes when I'm asleep.
One way or another... Heroes will fly again!

V-Mink

• Lieutenant
  • Greenside
« Reply #283 on: November 14, 2012, 04:51:04 PM »
No, let's keep talking about cats ;)

I lost an old dear feline friend just last week - ex-feral guy, no idea how old he was, but I know he was at least 12. And still hunting right up until he curled up purring and switched off his own lights - in fact just two days before, he'd brought in the mother of all rats. In his time he'd caught countless rats, rabbits, mice, pigeons...and also along the way a stoat, a weasel and even a mole. Never seen a hunter like him. He carried on being the Hunter Supreme right til the servers went down, so to speak - an example to us all :)
Whoa!  Neko-ro Mifune!  CLAWS OF JUSTICE DO NOT RETRACT!  :D

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #284 on: November 14, 2012, 04:51:11 PM »
Cats think humans are bad hunters. If your cat leaves you birds on the front porch, dump a deer or something on the same spot, right in front of him. That'll wise him up on who the apex predator is.

I'm sorry I got this started. Back to stocks before we earn the mods' attentions. Slight uptick but way to early to call it a rally.

Quinch

« Reply #285 on: November 14, 2012, 04:52:53 PM »
Well, to tie it in with the meme thread, and to rub it in their faces...

Anyone skilled enough in Flash to make an animation of lemmings parading down the curve?

Blackgrue

• Lieutenant
« Reply #286 on: November 14, 2012, 06:55:13 PM »
Random hopeful thought: If we got 65 billion dollers by the end of the month, we could buy a controlling interest in NCSoft *grin*
Virtue native

Main characters:
Diz the Goblin
Projekt Redstorm

The-Hunter-JLJ

• Bug Hunter
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #287 on: November 14, 2012, 07:12:43 PM »
I'll check the cushions of the couch when I get home tonight...

Turjan

• Elite Boss
  • You cannot kill a dream
« Reply #288 on: November 14, 2012, 08:10:18 PM »
There's something fitting about the current NCsoft stock slaughter and talk of killer cats really ;D

So I put the images together for the lulz - on the left is NCsoft's share price over the last year, culminating in November's Share Price Massacre, and on the right is my recently departed killer cat Boris (he was a feral Russian Blue, what else could I have called him? ;) ) in the process of dismantling a rabbit in the outbuilding he'd claimed as his dacha. There's a visual poetry of sorts there, is there not?

chasearcanum

• Boss
« Reply #289 on: November 14, 2012, 09:55:15 PM »
On the cat topic:

I have 4:

We started with 1- Penny, my wife's magnificently defiant silver longhair that didn't appreciate me stepping into their lives. She was a queen and extremely possessive of her favorite underling, my wife, and didn't take kindly to this intruder showing up.  It was a contest of wills, and my mastery at scritches barely made up for the moments when I earned her angry glare that said "your shoes will suffer tonight while you sleep."

We thought Penny could use a companion, so at Christmas we got an all-black american shorthair kitten- Cinder, my little lump of coal.   She's daddy's little girl, lovingly crawling onto my arm whenever she wants scritchies, regardless of what I'm doing or what she has to claw into to get there.   Everyone else calls her "devilcat" because she's got this nasty tendency to establish dominance through fear, and establishing fear through creative bloodletting.   

Then 2 kittens-Francis and Suki- showed up on our doorstep- they're a bonded pair.  Suki's a runt that looks like a miniature maine-coon and Frankie's her gargantuan all-black bodyguard.  He's the gentlest guy, but fiercely protective of his sister, rescuing her from any fight, calming her when she has a seizure, and cuddling with her whenever possible.  She's the sweet, innocent-looking, evil mastermind that knows that she can get him to attack Cinder just by going up to the sleeping black lump of coal and squealing like she's been attacked.  He then lumbers into the room and launches his 18-lb mass into the air above Cinder before she even blinks the sleepy look off her face.

After Penny passed away, we waited a bit, not sure how to replace the silver queen.  A friend referred us to a posting for a kitten needing a home and we decided to adopt, sight unseen.  Turns out that she's remarkably similar to Penny... in appearance.  In demeanor they couldn't be more different  While Penny had a composed ladylike regal air, Keyta's makes use of Matrix-like gravity-defying hyperactivity.  She moves more like a grey squirrel than a cat.... a hypercaffeinated grey squirrel may be a better description... on acid.

That's our crew.

Now, back to the stockwatch...

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #290 on: November 14, 2012, 10:00:07 PM »
Now, back to the stockwatch...
"Next time, on Stockwatch:"

And now I'm envisioning a soap opera done Hetalia Axis Powers-style with personifications of the companies on a stock exchange whose plot is based on their rise and fall.

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #291 on: November 14, 2012, 10:15:47 PM »
What if...
Such a show actually exists in-universe in Plan Z?  8)
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #292 on: November 15, 2012, 12:37:02 AM »
There are a lot of rumors that Taek-Jin Kim is trying to unload the other half of his stock in NCSoft.  And that Nexon is not a happy camper at this moment, when the stock they bought has lost 1/3 of its value.

Would anyone like a nice slice of schadenfreude with a balsamic vinegar glaze?
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #293 on: November 15, 2012, 12:55:45 AM »
And just because the word has been invoked I give you, courtesy of the nice folks at Avenue Q...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCQGQ5qBQTA

caution: maybe use headphones. not for children and perhaps NSFW

As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #294 on: November 15, 2012, 03:13:46 AM »
Well, to tie it in with the meme thread, and to rub it in their faces...

Anyone skilled enough in Flash to make an animation of lemmings parading down the curve?

Quite possibly. >.> <.<

Unfortunately the time is more lacking than the skill.

Frostyfrozen

• Boss
« Reply #295 on: November 15, 2012, 08:00:33 AM »
Has anyone given any thought to inform the other community's of the possible coming storm? Or are we just going to let them find out and start to point fingers at us.
If you know or not but it seems the CoH community is the most versed in NCsoft history then the other NA games community's of theirs.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 08:12:58 AM by Frostyfrozen »

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #296 on: November 15, 2012, 08:17:17 AM »
Quite possibly. >.> <.<

Unfortunately the time is more lacking than the skill.

Isn't there a map editor for Lemmings that lets you import a bitmap?

pewlagon

• Boss
« Reply #297 on: November 15, 2012, 08:24:40 AM »
Inform the CoH forums? Sadl,y I wouldn't because at this point any positive hope thread, farewell message, etc. winds up in the hands of a certain group of angsters. My Youtube editor, and 8-year vet and poster on those forums, was in frightened off by that group to the point where she removed the CoH forums from her Faves list. And the Mods, what few are left, are pretty much letting them get away with whatever they want. I wouldn't post anything over there unless you have people you can PM to get the information.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #298 on: November 15, 2012, 08:42:30 AM »
Inform the CoH forums? Sadl,y I wouldn't because at this point any positive hope thread, farewell message, etc. winds up in the hands of a certain group of angsters. My Youtube editor, and 8-year vet and poster on those forums, was in frightened off by that group to the point where she removed the CoH forums from her Faves list. And the Mods, what few are left, are pretty much letting them get away with whatever they want. I wouldn't post anything over there unless you have people you can PM to get the information.

Aye. There's a small group of characters, roughly 3 or 4, who have more or less set themselves up like a police force, upholding the law of an ego-maniac empire, where hope without an indeterminate amount of reason, is forbidden.

I'm very curious about how this came about too, because I've never seen anything like it before. Not on political forums, not from the biodrones (SWTOR fans) when SWG was closing, not from atheists/scientists in religious debates, or anything else. And they laugh at anyone saying it's possible that NCsoft may have sent in professional unicorns to spread ridicule even though it is now an acceptable PR tactic.  :roll:

The only way they MIGHT accept ANYTHING that comes from this camp, is if a redname comes right out on those forums and says, "This is what's happening."

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #299 on: November 15, 2012, 01:40:56 PM »
Hmmm... Methinks they doth protesteth too much? Eth?
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."