Author Topic: NCSoft Stockwatch  (Read 714399 times)

Colette

• Elite Boss
Re: NCSoft Stockwatch
« Reply #480 on: December 04, 2012, 05:32:35 PM »
Thank you, Zybron.

"If December is just as bad in spite of being Holiday Shopping Month...."

Y'all please correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think Christmas is a big deal in Korea. (never mind! Just looked it up. 30%. Hey, that is a significant factor!)

A stagnant Christmas or one more good shock of bad news ought to do it.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 05:51:14 PM by Colette »

Iron-Emerald

• Minion
« Reply #481 on: December 04, 2012, 06:21:04 PM »
I can't help but echo what Undercat said. NCSoft have no incentive to ever sell CoH if the same level of negativity was to continue regardless.

For myself I'd forgive them if they helped the game to continue, though I wouldn't forget without some kind of very convincing argument of why the game was closed the way it was. But fundamentally in my experience it's very easy for people to make a mistake, it's almost impossible for some people to ever admit such a thing. If NCSoft actually got the courage to stand up and say "We're sorry, we handled this wrong and we're going to try and do x to at least improve things" then I'd at least gain some respect back for them.

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
  • is there a badge for that?
« Reply #482 on: December 04, 2012, 06:35:23 PM »
i think as a collective whole we would mostly desist with the negativity should the IP be sold

however to kind of defend ourselves against the few unicorns and pancakes out there who would want an endless war, we can very clearly stat that "we" (IE, titan network) does not support the actions of those few outliers, since the titan network is basically spearheading the efforts to the save the game

most likely any singular person or group smaller than we are would just be treading water and likely not amount to anything

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #483 on: December 04, 2012, 07:41:05 PM »
For myself I'd forgive them if they helped the game to continue, though I wouldn't forget without some kind of very convincing argument of why the game was closed the way it was. But fundamentally in my experience it's very easy for people to make a mistake, it's almost impossible for some people to ever admit such a thing. If NCSoft actually got the courage to stand up and say "We're sorry, we handled this wrong and we're going to try and do x to at least improve things" then I'd at least gain some respect back for them.

Being a Korean company, though, I would expect that they would view an admission like that as being an admission of failure that would need to be accompanied by a high-level manager resigning as expiation for having made the bad decision in the first place (i.e., sacrificing himself to save face for the company), and getting NCSoft into that position feels as if it would be a real stretch; the Western market just isn't that important to them.

Although, I can equally see where, if we did manage to convince Disney to buy CoH, and they were successful in prying it out of their grasp, then turned around and gave it the marketing promotion it needed to become much more successful than it ever was under NCSoft, there'd be just such a resignation by someone taking responsibility for failing the company by making the decision to close the game, rather than support it the way Disney had.

With apologies to Percy Bysshe Shelley, a comforting image to take away:

I met a traveller from a foreign land
Who said: A vast broken facade of stone
Stands in the desert. Near it, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered CEO lies, whose frown,
and wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed:
And below the corporate logo these words appear:
"My name is NCSoft, master of MMOs:
Look upon my ROI, ye competitors, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 08:00:44 PM by srmalloy »

pewlagon

• Boss
« Reply #484 on: December 04, 2012, 11:47:27 PM »
Massively just ran an article citing the layoffs ("realignment") of the NcSoft Seattle offices. While it doesn't effect ANet or Carbine, it certainly impacts, to some extent, the portions that oversee games designed outside the US (Aion, Lineage 2, Blade & Soul).

PartyKake

• Minion
« Reply #485 on: December 04, 2012, 11:54:05 PM »
With apologies to Percy Bysshe Shelley, a comforting image to take away:

I met a traveller from a foreign land
Who said: A vast broken facade of stone
Stands in the desert. Near it, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered CEO lies, whose frown,
and wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed:
And below the corporate logo these words appear:
"My name is NCSoft, master of MMOs:
Look upon my ROI, ye competitors, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

*applause*

Electric-Knight

• Elite Boss
  • E-K and Malfaz taking a break, drinking tea
    • www.pauldamonthomas.com
« Reply #486 on: December 05, 2012, 12:11:49 AM »
As to the subject of positivity toward NCsoft, should they sell...
It's a fact: contented people (and gamers) do not a successful army make.

--
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
- Baron Munchausen

http://www.pauldamonthomas.com/

Opilion

• Underling
« Reply #487 on: December 05, 2012, 12:39:07 AM »
Stocks continue to drop.  NCSoft might hit a new 52 week low today.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #488 on: December 05, 2012, 12:47:15 AM »
Whoa, it took a dive since the last time I checked today. Trading volume is WAY up today as well.

Methinks news of more downsizing the in the Western market - which has been loudly proclaimed to be an expansion avenue for NCSoft a few times - doesn't bode well.

Victoria's interview in a major Korean newspaper (in the Money section, no less!) might have given investors a thing or two to think about as well.

Arctic Force.

• Lieutenant
  • I am A Blaster.....Floors Fear Me!!
« Reply #489 on: December 05, 2012, 12:48:56 AM »
New 52 week low
One the biggest entertainment franchises was saved by a letter writing campaign. Now it has 4 spin-off tv shows an animated series, eleven movies plus 1 in the works, multiple games And pretty much started "Fan-Cons". Thanks Mr. Roddenberry  Earn free bitcoin

Dr Shadow

• Lieutenant
  • Dr Shadow Champion server/ @Leila_L twitter
« Reply #490 on: December 05, 2012, 12:49:29 AM »
Dr Shadow- Champion Server @Leila_L twitter

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #491 on: December 05, 2012, 12:49:40 AM »
I was gonna post this comment under the Article of Awesomeness thread, but I think it's more appropriate, here:

This makes a sudden influx of cash look more and more inviting! We need a full court press on TF Hail Mary and knock it out of the park.
Hat trick.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #492 on: December 05, 2012, 01:03:49 AM »
If they sell? We stop. That's it, in a nut shell. War over, pack your gear, we're all goin' home.

So if they want us to stop, they need to sell. If they never sell, we never stop.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Opilion

• Underling
« Reply #493 on: December 05, 2012, 01:07:43 AM »
An hour in, and down 8%.  Is it wrong to smile?

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #494 on: December 05, 2012, 01:12:04 AM »
... 7.89% drop?  :o
Looks like somone (or several someones) offloaded around 75000 shares within half an hour of the stock market opening.

Red is my new favorite color.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Terwyn

• Plan Z: Business/Marketing Lead
  • Elite Boss
    • Missing Worlds
« Reply #495 on: December 05, 2012, 01:12:36 AM »
I am not smiling, I will full admit to that.

I very much regret that the necessity of our actions will unfortunately harm those with whom we have no quarrel (namely the families of those staff at NCSoft who are now at risk), and I certainly wish that another path had been chosen.

I am not adverse to showing kindness to NCSoft, but that kindness will necessarily be unfathomable ruthless in its execution.

I had hoped this would not have been necessary.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
- Albert Einstein

http://missingworlds.wordpress.com

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #496 on: December 05, 2012, 01:15:02 AM »
Someone's text under their dots says, "A leader must be as fair as a hurricane." That applies, here.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #497 on: December 05, 2012, 01:15:47 AM »
I am not smiling, I will full admit to that.

I very much regret that the necessity of our actions will unfortunately harm those with whom we have no quarrel (namely the families of those staff at NCSoft who are now at risk), and I certainly wish that another path had been chosen.

I am not adverse to showing kindness to NCSoft, but that kindness will necessarily be unfathomable ruthless in its execution.

I had hoped this would not have been necessary.

A noble sentiment, and I'm certainly not looking down on you for it.

They declared war on us. They destroyed our City. Our Home. Our community, though fighting to stay together is fragmenting without a central nexus to call home. Our lives have been impacted in a tangible way by this.

When I think about all the people who found each other through this game, when I think of the friends and families I met because of this community, and when I think about all the others who will never have the chance to meet those same people...I feel no remorse.

They made their bed, now they can lay in it, collateral damage be damned.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Terwyn

• Plan Z: Business/Marketing Lead
  • Elite Boss
    • Missing Worlds
« Reply #498 on: December 05, 2012, 01:17:14 AM »
Exactly.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
- Albert Einstein

http://missingworlds.wordpress.com

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #499 on: December 05, 2012, 01:28:22 AM »
Quite a line of sociopathic thinking there....

This is war. Empathy isn't for soldiers. NCSoft is an enemy combatant, nothing more.