Author Topic: NCSoft Stockwatch  (Read 714445 times)

Triplash

• Elite Boss
Re: NCSoft Stockwatch
« Reply #640 on: December 06, 2012, 11:22:46 PM »
Is... Is that..? That's the very style of code output by the service droids in Praetoria. I don't know the language itself, but I think I understand it. I don't suppose I could request a translation to Java or C++, so everyone else can understand it?

If COH != OWN(RSP.CRP) Then TSK = ATK.CRP(OWN.COH)
If City of Heroes is not owned by a responsible corporation, then the task is to attack the corporation that owns City of Heroes.

CRP(OWN.COH) = NCS
The corporation that owns City of Heroes is NCSoft.

RSP.CORP != NCS
A responsible corporation is not NCSoft.

TSK = ATK.NCS until NCS != OWN.COH
The task is to attack NCSoft until NCSoft does not own City of Heroes.

If COH = OWN(RSP.CRP) Then TSK = PLY.COH
If City of Heroes is owned by a responsible corporation then the task is to play City of Heroes.

If TSK = PLY.COH Then NCS.RLV = 0
If the task is to play City of Heroes then NCSoft's relevance is zero.

I'll do my best

Jinx! :o

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #641 on: December 06, 2012, 11:23:24 PM »
Can you imagine trying to speak in an object-oriented language?
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
« Reply #642 on: December 06, 2012, 11:34:03 PM »
I gleefully rub my hands and delight in the downfall of the corporate decisionmakers who chose to close COH.

Admittedly, the secretary, the janitor, the average Joes and Jills who had nothing to do with said decision... them I feel sorry for.

But the rest? They can rot in hell for all I care.

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite

I wouldn't call their stock tumble a "freefall".  But schadenfreude makes it even nicer.  Since now we get to see them bounce off the rocks on their way down.

;D

Mentalshock

• Boss
« Reply #643 on: December 06, 2012, 11:41:11 PM »
I wouldn't call their stock tumble a "freefall".  But schadenfreude makes it even nicer.  Since now we get to see them bounce off the rocks on their way down.

;D

Hopefully, sharp pointy ones.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #644 on: December 07, 2012, 12:22:43 AM »
The new official NCsoft themesong: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbqvFFdyNqc

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #645 on: December 07, 2012, 01:19:34 AM »

Good one!  In that case, I'd like to offer a little Ti Kwan Leap (original by the Franatics):  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8VD4JXUozM
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

Vasarto

• Boss
« Reply #646 on: December 07, 2012, 01:55:29 AM »
welll..DOUBLE BUGGER!

Looks like NCSOFT is going to be getting 686.8 million dollars from Nexon.. Not to mention gone up by 1.39....

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/06/08/nexon-ncsoft-idUST9E8GV09P20120608?type=companyNews

Jetfire99

• Lieutenant
« Reply #647 on: December 07, 2012, 02:00:18 AM »
welll..DOUBLE BUGGER!

Looks like NCSOFT is going to be getting 686.8 million dollars from Nexon.. Not to mention gone up by 1.39....

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/06/08/nexon-ncsoft-idUST9E8GV09P20120608?type=companyNews

Just a heads up check the date that's from June, take it easy chomper.

Vasarto

• Boss
« Reply #648 on: December 07, 2012, 02:03:29 AM »
oh..lol...then why was it the first page when I googled ncsoft? lol.

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #649 on: December 07, 2012, 02:43:02 AM »
I love the Praetorian Clockwork language.  :)  It makes this English teacher smile.

Vasarto

• Boss
« Reply #650 on: December 07, 2012, 02:47:34 AM »
I love the Praetorian Clockwork language.  :)  It makes this English teacher smile.

What is a Praetorian Clockwork language?

TargetOne

• Lieutenant
« Reply #651 on: December 07, 2012, 03:01:49 AM »
oh..lol...then why was it the first page when I googled ncsoft? lol.

Because they only put out press releases when they have GOOD news to report? And that was the last bit of "good news" they had?  ;D

Sarge Morris

• Minion
« Reply #652 on: December 07, 2012, 03:16:30 AM »

I see what you did there, and I raise you some Chapin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkSRF-uHlWk

I think this is more fitting, seeing as how the crew is obscenely overconfident and blissfully unaware of their predicament until they're completely and utterly screwed.

TargetOne

• Lieutenant
« Reply #653 on: December 07, 2012, 03:57:18 AM »
I was curious to see how much NCSoft's stock fluctuations relate to its overall corporate value, so I started comparing its market capitalization (total value of all outstanding shares) to other major entertainment companies.

As of this moment, NCSoft's market cap (according to Reuters) is 3.2 trillion Korean Won, which (based on the current exchange rate) translates to $2.9 billion US dollars.

Now, some other companies, in no particular order:

Walt Disney Company:           $87.8 billion (yikes!)
CBS Corporation:                    $22 billion
Electronic Arts:                        $4.5 billion
Valve Corporation:                  (privately held, so market cap does not apply, but its equity according to wikipedia is an esitmated $2.5 billion.)
Activision/Blizzard:                  $12.6 billion
Nexon                                     $4.8 billion (converted from Japanese Yen)

And Perfect World Co. Ltd., which trades on Nasdaq? A paltry $498 million. Which doesn't seem to bode well for those who might be pinning their near-term hopes for superhero MMO gaming on Champions Online. (No wonder Perfect World isn't investing much money in development of Champions, they just can't afford to.)

TargetOne

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #654 on: December 07, 2012, 04:43:54 AM »
I'm proud to say that both kierthos and Triplash are fluent in Praetorian Clockwork.  Both provided excellent (if a bit literal) translations.

Below is the exact translation I had in mind when I wrote it.

If COH != OWN(RSP.CRP) Then TSK = ATK.CRP(OWN.COH)
If City of Heroes isn't owned by a responsible corporation, then we should attack that corporation.

CRP(OWN.COH) = NCS
NCsoft is the corporation that owns City of Heroes.

RSP.CORP != NCS
NCsoft isn't a responsible corporation

TSK = ATK.NCS until NCS != OWN.COH
We should attack NCsoft until NCsoft gives up CoH.

If COH = OWN(RSP.CRP) Then TSK = PLY.COH
Once CoH is owned by a responsible corporation, we should resume playing it.

If TSK = PLY.COH Then NCS.RLV = 0
Once we can play CoH again, NCsoft doesn't matter.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 04:58:01 AM by Kaiser Tarantula »

Sajaana

• Boss
« Reply #655 on: December 07, 2012, 08:08:57 AM »
Blah...it's looking like it's trying to rally.  149,500 now.

Dragonicism

• Underling
« Reply #656 on: December 07, 2012, 09:06:19 AM »
Blah...it's looking like it's trying to rally.  149,500 now.

SELL! SELL! SELL! Get out of the sinking ship!

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #657 on: December 07, 2012, 09:43:39 AM »
What is a Praetorian Clockwork language?
Glad you asked!

In Praetoria, they have Clockwork like on Primal Earth.  But rather than being the psychically cobbled-together scrapmetal monstrosities of the clockwork king, they are sleek android servant robots, invented by Praetor Keyes (Anti-Matter) and popularized by Praetor Barry (Neuron).

Clockwork, when speaking, use a simple code-like abbreviation of the English language.  Clockwork-speak is different from the speech of ordinary citizens, or in Clockspeak, CWK.SPK != CIT.SPK.

The Clockwork's shorthand consists of 3-4 letter abbreviations for nouns, verbs and most adjectives, coupled with simple linking terms to form sentences.  For instance, in Clockspeak, Praetoria is simply PRA.  Emperor Marcus Cole (AKA Tyrant) is MCL.

Common linking terms are = (equals or is), != (does not equal or is not), > (greater than), < (less than), and simple conjunctions, adjectives and adverbs such as "if", "else", "then", "while", and "until".

To indicate possession or subject-predicate relation, you enclose a term in parentheses, and place the term it relates to or is possessed by outside of it.

You can also add ! to the front of any term to indicate "is not" - for instance, !ALV (not alive) means that the subject is dead.  Adding ? before a term indicates a question.  So "?YOU = ALV" means "Are you alive?"

So, If you want to state that Emperor Cole could kill Praetor White in a fight, you'd say...

If EMP.MCL.ATK(PRT.WHT) then PRT.WHT = !ALV

Now, if you want to say that Emperor Cole HAS killed Praetor White in a fight, that would be...

EMP.MCL.ATK(PRT.WHT) until PRT.WHT = !ALV

And if you want to state that you are running from Praetor White because you were discussing whether or not Emperor Cole could kill him...

TSK.ABT(TLK(If EMP.MCL.ATK(PRT.WHT) then ?PRT.WHT = ALV));TSK = ESC(PRT.WHT)

This has been a crash-course in Praetorian Clockwork language.  Now if you'll excuse me, I hear thudding boots and swearing.  I think I may need to ESC(PRT.WHT).
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 09:51:18 AM by Kaiser Tarantula »

Kosmos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #658 on: December 07, 2012, 09:50:58 AM »
Looks like NCSOFT is going to be getting 686.8 million dollars from Nexon...

One more thing to note about that deal from June... that was a private transaction with the stock purchased from Taek-Jin Kim, not NCsoftcore. The money went into his pocket, not the company's.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #659 on: December 07, 2012, 12:16:40 PM »
... proud ... Triplash ... excellent ... translation ...

Woohoo! I won!

/e endzonedance

Clockwork, when speaking, use a simple code-like abbreviation of the English language.  Clockwork-speak is different from the speech of ordinary citizens

Let's just be glad Portal Corps never had a gift shop. Cause sooner or later somebody would've had to write a Rikti to Clockwork dictionary, and that poor bugger's head would have exploded.

Not to mention the joke books:

?RSN = CKN(CRS.ROD)

RSN = GLR(EMP.MCL)