Author Topic: We need more visibility  (Read 7442 times)

blue storm

• Boss
  • #savecoh
    • Freedom Academy
We need more visibility
« on: September 22, 2012, 08:03:05 AM »
Perhaps you are sharing my feeling that our campaign, successful though it may be in gaming circles and the like, is somehow reaching a plateau as evidenced by the lower rate of signatures of the petition.

We thus need to get more visibility and make people curious about our cause, and I was thinking about this as a possible way :

most of us are present in many social networks (G+, FB etc...) and our more distant contacts may not know about #savecoh. In order to attract curiosity why not change our names on those networks to something like OUR_NAME_#SAVECOH ie : John Smith #SAVECOH

possibly this could :
- get people curious about the campaign and thus help spread the word
- increase the search engine visibility of #savecoh

Just a thought...
--

Moonfyire101

• Elite Boss
Re: We need more visibility
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 01:51:49 AM »
Working on it, have a table at Youmacon Nov 3rd.

The White Rager

• Lieutenant
    • The Wordpile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 02:10:07 AM »
I'd been thinking, maybe we should run a crowdsourcing and use it to go the next level - genuine advertising. Members have already created enough quality graphics to produce spreads and web ads. Judging by the dinner campaign, raising enough to maintain some well placed banners and such should be easy enough.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 02:17:16 AM »
My video project may be of use, as soon as I can get it posted.

I kind of designed it to hit the audience with the story in as short a time as possible so the tldr people don't get bored.

chaparralshrub

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 03:44:13 AM »
What we need is the attention of the United States legislature. Because NCSoft is based in South Korea, and South Korea currently owes its independence and freedom to the fact that the U.S. has troops stationed there to prevent North Korea from invading, it seems to me that the U.S. could put a diplomatic arm on South Korea and compel NCSoft to behave itself in Western markets and not fire western employees.

Now I feel like I'm a villain and not a hero at all. Carrying through that threat to its logical conclusion would result in the possibility of a real people fighting a real war with real weapons and resulting in real bloodshed - all over a game. Well, not over a game, over jobs, but over jobs for people making a game.

Vulpy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 03:49:04 AM »
Now I feel like I'm a villain and not a hero at all. Carrying through that threat to its logical conclusion would result in the possibility of a real people fighting a real war with real weapons and resulting in real bloodshed - all over a game. Well, not over a game, over jobs, but over jobs for people making a game.

There is something to be said for the fact that an extranational corporation has destroyed 80 American jobs. If this becomes part of a larger trend in California, it could become newsworthy by virtue of being part of a big picture. I don't foresee blood being shed over it, but even being mentioned in a campaign stump speech as "one of the companies moving our jobs overseas" would make NCsoft nervous.

V.V. started a thread advocating contacting Congresspeole here.
@Vulpy
Protector Server

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 04:34:35 AM »
Speaking as one who often enjoys twirling his mustache (metaphorically, anyway; IRL I am clean-shaven) and playing up villainous tropes while actually trying to serve good ends via good (if oft-maligned) means, I think going through legal/legislatorial/real-diplomacy channels on this is...misplaced. Like it or not, it is NCSoft's right to do with its property what it pleases. We cannot have free trade and then try to play "take-backs" when we don't like how those with whom we traded freely use that for which they traded.

That said, we should of course try to pressure NCSoft into working with us, rather than against us. We should do all we can (ethically) to find out what reasons they might have for not selling CoH and all associated rights and properties if they don't want to run it anymore, since it's not an unprofitable venture. We should then seek to find solutions that make their continuing to fail to sell it a truly adverse decision compared to what we've concocted. This will be a lot of work and effort, but given all people have done thus far, it is within our capability, if we pursue it.

Above all else, we need to support Paragon Studios and its leaders; anything we do needs to be aimed at partnering with and aiding them. The last thing we want to do is set up something that battles with Paragon for control of the IP; the more intact Paragon is when it finds its new home, the better off CoH will be.

jeangray

• Minion
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 03:04:44 PM »
I'd been thinking, maybe we should run a crowdsourcing and use it to go the next level - genuine advertising. Members have already created enough quality graphics to produce spreads and web ads. Judging by the dinner campaign, raising enough to maintain some well placed banners and such should be easy enough.

This is a very interesting idea, why aren't we doing this to get more publicity now? 

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 06:48:55 PM »
So far, crowdsourcing efforts have been discouraged as premature. I am not sure "advertising" is the right thing for which to crowdsource, but it may not be an awful idea. The question ultimately is: what is it that blocks Paragon Studios from acquiring the IP and reforming as an independent company? Solutions to THOSE problems are what we need, and in the end, it's finding that out that's going to be the hardest thing for those of us "on the outside."

SithRose

• Plan Z: Lore Lead
  • Elite Boss
  • The Phoenix is coming.
    • Missing Worlds Media - Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 02:50:06 AM »
What we desperately need is a good, brief, clear "Why this MMO is so different and matters so much to the community" letter that's written for people who don't play MMOs, consider them a waste of time, and generally don't know much about the internet at all.

These are the people that we need to make care too. The ones who could sit up and say "You mean I could have done that...but I can't now?" The ones who never even considered the stories in the Testimonials thread could happen in an MMO, ever.

A FUTURE fanbase. A base of "We would have wanted to..."

That gives us publicity, positive publicity, and people who would be willing to donate in order to help themselves through the COH community.
Lore Lead for Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
Secretary of Missing Worlds Media, Inc.

RogerWilco

• Lieutenant
  • The Adventurous Janitor
    • The Conclave - International Gaming Community
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 03:14:51 AM »
What we need is the attention of the United States legislature. Because NCSoft is based in South Korea, and South Korea currently owes its independence and freedom to the fact that the U.S. has troops stationed there to prevent North Korea from invading, it seems to me that the U.S. could put a diplomatic arm on South Korea and compel NCSoft to behave itself in Western markets and not fire western employees.
I'm not sure if this was meant in jest, but it sounds very wrong. CoH closing down has very little, if anything at all, to do with NCsoft being a non-US company. We don't know the full story, but what we know, this could have gone down in a similar way in any boardroom of any multinational anywhere in the world. If anything, it's the Anglosaxon western way of doing business that has led us here.

jeangray

• Minion
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 01:05:08 PM »
So far, crowdsourcing efforts have been discouraged as premature. I am not sure "advertising" is the right thing for which to crowdsource, but it may not be an awful idea. The question ultimately is: what is it that blocks Paragon Studios from acquiring the IP and reforming as an independent company? Solutions to THOSE problems are what we need, and in the end, it's finding that out that's going to be the hardest thing for those of us "on the outside."

Yes, I've read all sorts of comments about wanting to save our money until we may need to make a big push.  The idea of pooling a smaller sum of money in order to help spread the word of our fight...like renting ad space on guild portal (or something more popular, not sure what sites gets decent traffic) for a banner that says #SaveCoH and clicking it takes them to the petition and/or titans forums Save Paragon City!...well, that sounds like it might be worth exploring as an option for more coverage for our cause.  Wish I could answer the real problems as well, but we're all in the same boat as far as that goes.   :)

The-Hunter-JLJ

• Bug Hunter
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2012, 04:44:32 PM »
My video project may be of use, as soon as I can get it posted.

I kind of designed it to hit the audience with the story in as short a time as possible so the tldr people don't get bored.

Squirrel! What did you say?

StarRanger4

• Boss
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 12:37:46 AM »
I'm not sure if this was meant in jest, but it sounds very wrong. CoH closing down has very little, if anything at all, to do with NCsoft being a non-US company.

It does if we make it an issue.  It can be looked at as a foreign competitor using seemingly legal yet underhanded tactics to remove competition from the field.  80 or 800,000 it is only a matter of scale.  So where do we draw the line?

I say this is only the first round of a financial war that MUST be fought.  Given the entities involved, this crosses national borders; this makes it part and parcel of what has always been considered the FEDERAL Government's responsibility.  And I touched off a firestorm when I first brought that point up.  Doesn't mean its still not true in my mind.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2012, 01:02:25 AM »
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

malonkey1

• Elite Boss
  • A person who does stuff.
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2012, 01:06:26 AM »
Well, my brother's going in to school with a City of Heroes poster on his back...Will that help?
BadWolf: "The point that JaguarX is trying to make, of course, is that City of Heroes is like a tree. And Google is like a Toyota...Corolla...? Which would make NCSoft a trespasser, shot by...um, Mister T...which is good, because diplomacy...?"

The internet is full of Comedy Gold.

SithRose

• Elite Boss
  • The Phoenix is coming.
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2012, 05:07:55 AM »
I was actually thinking more along the lines of your call to contact special interest groups. One of the bloggers I know in the LGBT community *wants* to blog about COH, but...has no actual understanding of MMOs, how they work, or how an MMO could help. A senior center isn't likely to think about using an MMORPG to help residents and visitors keep their minds sharp and active. It's not something that would cross their minds at all. These are the people that I'm proposing contacting...the ones who could write NCSoft and say "I wanted to try this...but now I can't. Please find a way to help my elderly mother stay in contact with us, to keep her mind active and flexible..."

Your letter gets the points of why we, the current COH community, want the game to be saved. What I'm suggesting is, basically, advertising in the 11th hour by word of mouth, and using that advertising as leverage to give NCSoft a way to save face by releasing COH to us, or to another company, and say "While it no longer fits our vision, we recognize that there are many benefits to a game and community of this nature. Therefore, we are encouraging X group to continue development and activity for this game instead in order to keep those avenues of therapeutic use open."

Does that make sense, or do I need to get to bed? :)

The-Hunter-JLJ

• Bug Hunter
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2012, 12:01:30 PM »
Nay, when you're making that much sense, you can stay up late. But only if you finish your homework. (grin)

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2012, 12:12:35 PM »
I was actually thinking more along the lines of your call to contact special interest groups. One of the bloggers I know in the LGBT community *wants* to blog about COH, but...has no actual understanding of MMOs, how they work, or how an MMO could help. A senior center isn't likely to think about using an MMORPG to help residents and visitors keep their minds sharp and active. It's not something that would cross their minds at all. These are the people that I'm proposing contacting...the ones who could write NCSoft and say "I wanted to try this...but now I can't. Please find a way to help my elderly mother stay in contact with us, to keep her mind active and flexible..."
Hm. Crazy idea, perhaps, but if any community could pull it off, this one could...

Hold a "Blogger Day" event. Or whatever you want to term it. Everybody who knows anybody gets in touch with all the bloggers they know or people they know who know bloggers or the like, and tells them, "Want to blog on this but don't know what it is well enough to do so? Log on to XYZ chat service at W o'clock on October the Vth, and the CoH community will walk you through the steps to create a free-to-play account on City of Heroes. We'll then take you through a series of missions to get you familiar with the game, how it's played, and what City of Heroes - and by limited extension, other MMOs - are somewhat like. Get to know the community involved in this unique play experience!"

It doesn't even have to be "bloggers" only, but I'm drawing a blank at the moment as to what else to call it to grab exactly the right kind of audience.

If you do it right, this will actually also aid the "dwindling numbers" problem; not only will "Blogger Day" have hopefully low-three-digits new players sign up all at once, but they're new players who will write about it to the wider world.

Kheprera

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2012, 01:31:17 PM »
I'm not a videographer, but I had an idea that might get us greater exposure.

The Presidential Election.

How?  Simple.  Make a video featuring CoH promoting people to get out and vote.

"Be a Hero and Vote!"

We can push this to so many political blogs, forums, and other social media with a blurb at the end to #SaveCoH, maybe something like "This video made using City of Heroes MMO, Going Dark Nov 30th. Make YOUR voice heard and vote Nov. 6th. Make OUR voice heard and sign *petition URL*.  Save American Jobs!"

It will get us exposure.

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2012, 01:37:47 PM »
That MIGHT be getting out of "fair use" and into "NCSoft could demand we stop that" territory. Of course, that might, itself, be negative publicity for them if they tried, but...

We should be careful with this one. Maybe ask Olantern if he has any knowledge on whether that falls into Fair Use or not? I know he's said that's not his specialty, but he's the most knowledgeable person on this board about the subject to my knowledge.

SithRose

• Elite Boss
  • The Phoenix is coming.
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2012, 04:19:29 PM »
Nay, when you're making that much sense, you can stay up late. But only if you finish your homework. (grin)

Dude, that's what I tell my KIDS. ;)

(Yes, I'm old enough to have kids who have to do homework. :)

My gut feeling about using COH for election politics is...very iffy. I don't think that's going to fall under fair use. We've already seen several successful cease and desist letters from musician groups to political campaigns, as well as at least one lawsuit. I also tend to think that those kinds of things cost money. LOTS of money. Money which would be, I think, better served in contributing to buy-out offers...which we can then use to generate more money for advertising.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2012, 09:12:40 PM »
On the general topic of visiblity, this from Twitter this afternoon:

@Birder_Katie

@thetitannetwork Feasible to do a fullpage ad of support in a big paper, like NYT? Everyone who chips in could have a name on ad. #SaveCoH
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Riff

• Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2012, 09:48:36 PM »
this is a QR given that I've not read every post in this thread.

I agree with the OP in that we need to get the message out to a much wider audience - and that's pretty tricky. CoH isn't real to anyone who isn't a player. It's "just" a game, right? We need to get the word out and challenge that perception.

We're getting spammed with "social media gurus" Let's use that. Challenge them to put their mouth where there money is!

My gut instinct is we're making a huge impact in a small bubble. We need to take that energy outside of the bubble and that's not so easy - that's where we need to get a concerted attack. Mainstream media might be a way to crack it but how do we get a story?

And in just thinking about this....

Animal Rescue Shelters.  I'm gonna throw this up as a separate thread- just an idea.

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2012, 09:54:06 PM »
My gut instinct is we're making a huge impact in a small bubble. We need to take that energy outside of the bubble and that's not so easy - that's where we need to get a concerted attack. Mainstream media might be a way to crack it but how do we get a story?
Contact your friends, friends of friends, and other contacts who have any connection to the media. Talk them into inviting their media friends to a special "Media Titans" day.

Get experienced players who will mentor, in groups or even 1:1, these media people who show up to play, to see this story. Walk them through character generation, through the first mission, and then through the first few missions of a story arc. Form teams of new (media) players led by an experienced one who's mentored down to (or made a new character down at) the new players' level. Show them a good time, answer their questions about what makes the game great, share anecdotes. Get some of those who've given testimonials to tell their stories in interview sessions/press conferences "in character."

Explain the situation as we understand it, and why they should care, why this is a story worth writing.

And, if they had fun, invite them to come back...for as long as the game keeps going. Mention that we're trying to save the game, because (insert your own reason here).

Siberian Spring

• Lieutenant
    • Live Creatively
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2012, 10:02:26 PM »
On the general topic of visiblity, this from Twitter this afternoon:

Would try to pitch in a bit, name or no name.