Author Topic: An Ambitious Idea  (Read 5798 times)

EClark

• Lieutenant
An Ambitious Idea
« on: September 25, 2012, 10:25:09 PM »
Okay, I have been thinking after reading about the CoH refunds, and letting my own brain chew on this whole situation. This is what it spat out.
I don't want a refund. I want my game back, with all you goofy, zany creative people in it. I want my game back, period.
AP 33 showed I am not alone in this feeling, and other events have shown me that as a community we can move mountains if needed.
We need something really huge, and an idea hit.... a street dance.
Hear me out, a street dance in EVERY Atlas Park in EVERY server in this game. This game transcends one server, and so should the events. Imagine every server spawning multiple AP's with heroes dancing and showing support of the game we love. We have the entertainment in streaming radio stations already in place like The Cape and AFKRadio, we have the servers and we have the people. Lets pack the servers! Show NCSoft what Heroes can do. Maybe it's an impossible feat, but no one thought we could spawn 33 Atlas Parks in Virtue, either.
Now I ask, are you all ready to make some real  noise?

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
Re: An Ambitious Idea
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 10:29:41 PM »
Sounds...interesting.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Siberian Spring

• Lieutenant
    • Live Creatively
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 10:29:49 PM »
I think it definitely sounds ambitious, but also fun.

CharybdisClan

• Underling
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 10:52:19 PM »
Will there be licks?

And yeah, I'd put my ship in spacedock for a night or two to join up. My most powerful toon has the Pocket D costume and is all shiny and club-ready!
CharybdisClan or TheCharybdis of Guardian Server. I lick things. Servers, mainly.

Riff

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 11:16:02 PM »
I love how you're thinking and I totally get where you're coming from. Overloading every instance of every server...

The problem is that's (stabinthedarkguess) 42000 people.

14 servers. 30 instances, 100 people per server. That's a real challenge and I'd suggest that's close to the monthly traffic across the whole network.

It's doable but it will take a massive effort.

EClark

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 11:19:52 PM »
LOL, I am not that ambitious, if I had 3 to 5 aspects per server, I would be content.... but I would LOVE to be blown away.

Moonfyire101

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 01:53:21 AM »
i'm in, i just hope i'm not at work, guess i'll log in b4 i leave that day

The-Hunter-JLJ

• Bug Hunter
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 02:21:05 AM »
Hey, let's think about the same scale for this rally that TonyV did for the first one. He was thinking 10 or so instances, let's think 2 instances per server. That's only 14 servers times 51 people (Ok, 52, we want the people in the second instance to have someone to  dance with). That's only (mumbles) 728 people.

Remember the scene in the original "Fame" movie where Bruno's father drives up with speakers on his taxi and plays the theme song as the kids dance in the streets? That's what I wanna see..

Remember my name (Fame)
I'm gonna live forever
I'm gonna learn how to fly (High)
I feel it coming together
People will see me and cry (Fame)
I'm gonna make it to heaven
Light up the sky like a flame (Fame)
I'm gonna live forever
Baby, remember my name
Remember, Remember, Remember, Remember,
Remember, Remember, Remember, Remember

Siberian Spring

• Lieutenant
    • Live Creatively
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 02:23:07 AM »
Remember the scene in the original "Fame" movie where Bruno's father drives up with speakers on his taxi and plays the theme song as the kids dance in the streets? That's what I wanna see..

Love this. LOL.

The-Hunter-JLJ

• Bug Hunter
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 05:15:26 AM »
Check out this thread, I think there might be a combination of forces possible here:

http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,5318.0.html

EClark

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 09:39:34 AM »
I like it, I really do.....
I'm seeing a Saturday (at least, a whole weekend of dancing and such may be ambitious) October 13th or 20th. The day will depend on when the radio stations will get on board. I have talked with AFKRadio on Guardian and I believe they are a go with this (BLU sounded
excited about doing it.) If anyone has any contacts in The Cape or other in-game streaming music stations hit them up and see what the response is...

There were a lot of protesters that could not make it to the Unity event due to various circumstances. These were voices not heard.
Lets give them a voice, lets think bigger than AP - 33. The effort has gained supporters, lets show it.
It's not just about servers or sides anymore. This is about a community, our community.
November 30th, they pull the plug. That roughly 2 months away. Lets make some real noise.

The-Hunter-JLJ

• Bug Hunter
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 11:42:53 AM »
Ya know what would be really cool, though I don't know if it is even technically feasible. A simulcast from multiple "CoH" based radio stations. The DJs taking turns, or talking back and forth, that sort of thing. I am really liking the ideas people are putting together here. You've got the right idea setting that date out a couple of weeks. Give time to build momentum, and spread the word. And for people to work on their dance moves. (grin)

EClark

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2012, 06:13:10 PM »
The event is posted for October 20th.....  ;D No more waffling or making excuses.... I will take all the help and assistance I can get.
My ultimate goal is to make AP 33 to look small in comparison and make everyone go "DAYUM"
Who is with me?

There are reports that say we have lost our momentum, that we are easily distracted, and that we have already been dealt a partial defeat. I say we have more momentum than ever, and we will NOT give up and we will NOT give in. We are Heroes, and Heroes do not give up, We keep going because that is what Heroes do. This event will be a giant block party on your home server, AP or Mercy. Show your support while listening to your favorite streaming music on your server's station. I also invite The Cape, AFKRadio, and any other interested parties to play music, plug CoH, and just be part of the biggest virtual block party we can put together.
Two months remain, and Tony V wants us to make noise. Tell your friends, tell the media, and let them know we are not defeated, and the momentum is stronger than ever. Oct. 20th, CoH, Atlas Park or Mercy Island, your home server. 0800 EDT until whenever... Lets show them what Heroes can do.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 06:45:04 PM by EClark »

Siberian Spring

• Lieutenant
    • Live Creatively
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2012, 06:16:40 PM »
I'm in. Party like it's 11/30.

Fansy

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2012, 06:40:35 PM »
Wait just a second!

You can't just go dancing in the streets without some music! So, looks like I'll just have to join in!

Count this Bard in! Come on everyone, even you villains and neutrals, lets get down and shake our groove thing!

Rely on Fansy to get the party started!

GO GO Good team!

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2012, 06:41:39 PM »
Wait just a second!

You can't just go dancing in the streets without some music! So, looks like I'll just have to join in!

Count this Bard in! Come on everyone, even you villains and neutrals, lets get down and shake our groove thing!

Rely on Fansy to get the party started!

GO GO Good team!

Let's dance until they feel the ground quake all the way at NCSoft! *pumps fist*
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Kheprera

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2012, 08:00:11 PM »
This should be promoted to the radio stations so they can plan accordingly.

The-Hunter-JLJ

• Bug Hunter
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2012, 08:11:03 PM »
See if you can get... uh... damn, can't remember who is running the calender, and the savecoh.com site itself. Get notices up everywhere possible as soon as possible. Ask the radio stations if they can start promoting this celebration. You need a catchy name. Paragon Dance Party is taken... (grin).

Altoholic Monkey

• Lieutenant
    • Repeat Offenders Network - Making the stupidly difficult easy since 2005
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2012, 08:14:15 PM »
Leandro is running the SaveCOH.com site.

EClark

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2012, 09:54:12 PM »
I have already spoken to AFKRadio.com. we can count on them to help get the word out and provide music, but other streaming music stations would be good, giving everyone a variety of music to entertain... and of course outlets to inform.

Stormy Weathermaker

• Minion
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2012, 10:36:42 PM »
Love the idea!!!  Though, I do have a question (yep, I ask a lot of them in game too  ;D

Is there a way, once this is set up and scheduled, to put some kind of  "MOTD" in game to announce?  This way here, whomever is not part of the forums or Facebook pages/groups, they could be informed as well, in advance, and gives them a chance to join in?  The reason I'm asking is because I don't know how many players are part of this forum, Facebook groups/pages or have the www.savecoh.com bookmarked. If there was a way to also make some kind of message for when players first log in, they'd have a chance to join in as well.

Just thought I'd toss it out there :roll:

EClark

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2012, 10:46:21 PM »
Good question, and hopefully someone will pick up the ball on the other servers.
I will be hitting up the Guardian Chat channels to get the word out on Guardian's Channels.
Make it part of their MOTD. SG/VG owners, include it in your /gmotd. Channel Admins, include it in yours
This is all player driven, and the players, all of us, have to be our own advocates and spokespeople.
We have been asked to make noise.
Lets set off an atom bomb....  ;D

EClark

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2012, 11:43:49 AM »
Working title (throwing it out there, see who shoots).   'Party like it's 11/29'

The-Hunter-JLJ

• Bug Hunter
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2012, 02:32:00 PM »
Didn't someone say Black Pebble is still posting as a redname? Worth PMing him with a request for a login announcement if so. A polite request for help with publicity in the official forums can't hurt. <evil grin> Especially if some of the gaming press should be aware that we asked. Heck, send it to that sunset address NCsoft gave us, too. Not like we WANT to hide what we are doing. Whether they agree or not we should be able to get some mileage out of the request.

EClark

• Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2012, 04:31:35 PM »
Someone asked if the D.J.s from different stations could collaborate and banter between each other.

I got this from BLU on AFKRadio.com:

It would likely either have to be broadcast from one station, or we'd have to share our streaming information between stations.

In short, not very likely.

Speaking of media support, has anyone heard from any other streaming music stations or other media outlets? Other people with more savvy and pull than me? ...... anyone.... Beuller...Beuller....?

Stormy Weathermaker

• Minion
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2012, 09:51:07 PM »
Didn't someone say Black Pebble is still posting as a redname? Worth PMing him with a request for a login announcement if so. A polite request for help with publicity in the official forums can't hurt. <evil grin> Especially if some of the gaming press should be aware that we asked. Heck, send it to that sunset address NCsoft gave us, too. Not like we WANT to hide what we are doing. Whether they agree or not we should be able to get some mileage out of the request.

Someone said this on one of the posts and I agree....we really need the "like" button over here  ;D

djonehitwonder

• Minion
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2012, 05:55:07 AM »
Someone asked if the D.J.s from different stations could collaborate and banter between each other.

I got this from BLU on AFKRadio.com:

It would likely either have to be broadcast from one station, or we'd have to share our streaming information between stations.

In short, not very likely.

Speaking of media support, has anyone heard from any other streaming music stations or other media outlets? Other people with more savvy and pull than me? ...... anyone.... Beuller...Beuller....?

What would probably work better, is to have each station sponsor a server, but broadcast separately.  We can band together for promotional purposes, but trying to share one broadcast could be a logistical and technical nightmare.

Also, do you want to do this during the Double XP weekend?  And the same day that the Extra Life Gameathon is going on?  Seems like that weekend is already booked pretty solid, so another weekend for this might be better, perhaps November 3rd?  That would also give you more time to make sure every server has a station (I can help with that, I have a few contacts), and promote the event.

EClark

• Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2012, 08:29:33 AM »
Oh, I still want to hold it in October (for personal reasons). Latest I would want to go is Oct. 27th.
Any further thoughts on this from everyone would be welcome
If I am going to change the invites, now is the time

djonehitwonder

• Minion
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2012, 01:56:10 PM »
I know The Cape is already hosting a Halloween party on the 27th.

When The Cape does 2xXP weekend, we generally have less people at a stationary show, and some of the DJs prefer to be out running missions or task forces.  Some people like the break though.  Still, it's our experience that less people want to stay in one spot dancing during 2xXP.

If you still want to do it on the 20th, be sure to tie it in with the other events, and help each other with the publicity.  Get the charity folks and the radio stations all on board together to run a 24 hour event, where people can come and go.  Perhaps have a "dance off" at the top of every hour, where people meet up in AP for a 10-minute break, then can team up and go get mad expees again.  Actually, that's not a bad idea... would promote community and help people find teams!

EClark

• Lieutenant
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2012, 03:45:57 PM »
Now I am REALLY feeling out of my depth here...... :(

djonehitwonder

• Minion
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2012, 04:55:56 PM »
Heh, sorry.  I have experience as a professional event planner, so I look at these things through that lens.  I just need to curb my tendency to take off running with an idea before the starter pistol goes off.   :P 

But I am more than willing to help you out with this.  If you say "GO!" then I'll start running, but I don't want you to think I'm taking over your idea. :)

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2012, 05:07:09 PM »
Wondiiiiiie. Are you stealing events again? :p j/k

Nice to see you over here. ^.^

EClark

• Lieutenant
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2012, 11:46:19 AM »
My idea is two-fold
1. give those unable to speak on Virtue or Freedom a voice
2. to show that our support has not weakened, in fact it has only gotten stronger

In a long siege, it is easy to get disheartened when you have no 'victories'. I want this to be a morale
booster. Not everyone logs into Titan Network, or Facebook to see what is going on, but we all log on to the game.

I want to show our Unity to our own, as well as the powers that be.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2012, 03:44:56 AM »
My idea is two-fold
1. give those unable to speak on Virtue or Freedom a voice
2. to show that our support has not weakened, in fact it has only gotten stronger

In a long siege, it is easy to get disheartened when you have no 'victories'. I want this to be a morale
booster. Not everyone logs into Titan Network, or Facebook to see what is going on, but we all log on to the game.

I want to show our Unity to our own, as well as the powers that be.

Wondie, this is EClark.  He has had some brilliant ideas.

EClark, this is one of the CAPE radio DJs, One Hit Wonder.  He does great planning.

You two should talk.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

djonehitwonder

• Minion
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2012, 04:18:32 AM »
Wondie, this is EClark.  He has had some brilliant ideas.

EClark, this is one of the CAPE radio DJs, One Hit Wonder.  He does great planning.

You two should talk.

She, actually. :P  But yes, I have done real life event planning, as well as event planning for The Cape Radio.  I stepped down to plan my own wedding and run my own business, but I would love to talk more about this idea.  Hit me up via email, it's my username here at gmail.com

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2012, 04:23:11 AM »
She, actually. :P  But yes, I have done real life event planning, as well as event planning for The Cape Radio.  I stepped down to plan my own wedding and run my own business, but I would love to talk more about this idea.  Hit me up via email, it's my username here at gmail.com

We do love us a Wondie.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2012, 05:24:24 AM »
She, actually. :P 

Eeep.  My bad; I've never actually been listening to the Cape when you're on.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

EClark

• Lieutenant
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2012, 08:58:34 AM »
Thank you for your help.... like I said, I am really out of my depth in organizing such an event.
If I can coordinate people who have the know how, the savvy and the time to put this together.
Have them talk, work and come up with ideas.
We can have an event that will blow minds, and show the media, the executives, the unicorns and even our own
supporters that we are not going away.
We are here with them, for them, for the long haul.