Author Topic: City of Heroes Sunset FAQ  (Read 9415 times)

cmgangrel

• Elite Boss
City of Heroes Sunset FAQ
« on: September 26, 2012, 11:41:53 PM »
*post removed due to Titan Network refusing to delete posts at users request, and not deleting user account*
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 07:39:32 AM by cmgangrel »

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
Re: City of Heroes Sunset FAQ
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 11:44:32 PM »
Aside:  There are quite a few typos >.>

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 11:50:33 PM »
Of course.  They fired their proofreaders.  ;)
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 11:55:02 PM »
Of course.  They fired their proofreaders.  ;)
Apparently.  Either that or subtle, intentional sabotage on the part of whoever wrote it.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 11:59:45 PM »
Apparently.  Either that or subtle, intentional sabotage on the part of whoever wrote it.
Ooo!  Let's look for hidden messages!  (No, not really.)
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Calea

• Titan Staff
  • Boss
  • Let the Eternal fire of Justice stay lit.
    • CoH Titan
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 12:07:28 AM »
I just found out about all of this today when i went to do my monthly updates todays. I feel like I'm losing apart of myself with this game. This just makes the entire thing seem so much more. . . final.
Ken - @Calea
Titan Network Moderator

Titan Network Member Page  

Electric-Knight

• Elite Boss
  • E-K and Malfaz taking a break, drinking tea
    • www.pauldamonthomas.com
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 12:15:33 AM »
I know this isn't new information, and I don't want to come off as being overly/foolishly optimistic, but seeing them word it that way, that becoming VIP has been disabled, just has me head-scratching a little bit.
I suppose it has been discussed elsewhere (I know I've seen it, at least, mentioned), but I just can't help to wonder why they would disable the ability to become VIP during these three months.

It could be nothing positive, but seeing it just now has me wondering if it is possibly to do with freezing things, as they are right now, in order to make a potential transition of CoH (from NCSoft to another company) as smooth as possible.

I don't believe that is the only possible reason, but... I don't know, it just stands out as the most sensible reason in my own not-very-corporate-knowledgeable artist's brain. ;D

Again, not at all suggesting that this is true... Just stating that it struck me as odd while reading this and has me pondering what I typed above, hehe...
--
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
- Baron Munchausen

http://www.pauldamonthomas.com/

Crater Labs

• Trivia Champion 2016
  • Minion
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 12:21:08 AM »
I know this isn't new information, and I don't want to come off as being overly/foolishly optimistic, but seeing them word it that way, that becoming VIP has been disabled, just has me head-scratching a little bit.
I suppose it has been discussed elsewhere (I know I've seen it, at least, mentioned), but I just can't help to wonder why they would disable the ability to become VIP during these three months.

It could be nothing positive, but seeing it just now has me wondering if it is possibly to do with freezing things, as they are right now, in order to make a potential transition of CoH (from NCSoft to another company) as smooth as possible.

I don't believe that is the only possible reason, but... I don't know, it just stands out as the most sensible reason in my own not-very-corporate-knowledgeable artist's brain. ;D

Again, not at all suggesting that this is true... Just stating that it struck me as odd while reading this and has me pondering what I typed above, hehe...

I also found it...well, after an initial moment of shock, a bit intriguing.  I mean, a lot of this has been said before, and what is new is just rehashing things we knew they were going to tell us eventually.  A part of me wonders if they're noticing or are affected/annoyed/confused by everything we've been doing.  A kind of "Please, stop," flag.  (Which might explain the typos... more a desire to get it out there and stop thinking about it and hoping we'll do the same.)

Maybe it's way too optimistic on my part to see this as a sign of NCSoft's resolve crumbling a bit, but... I can't help but feel like it's a good sign to push efforts into overdrive.  ;)

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 12:25:05 AM »
Has anyone actually clicked on the "Contact Support" button?

This is what you get:

The following contact options are available:

Ask a Question:
    Available for all issues.
    Click the Ask a Question tab on this website to submit a question.

In-game Help Ticket:

Submit a question in the chat window using the /petition command, or click on Menu and then choose the Support option.

I don't see either option as being applicable to getting a refund.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Siberian Spring

• Lieutenant
    • Live Creatively
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 12:25:47 AM »
I also found it...well, after an initial moment of shock, a bit intriguing.  I mean, a lot of this has been said before, and what is new is just rehashing things we knew they were going to tell us eventually.  A part of me wonders if they're noticing or are affected/annoyed/confused by everything we've been doing.  A kind of "Please, stop," flag.  (Which might explain the typos... more a desire to get it out there and stop thinking about it and hoping we'll do the same.)

Maybe it's way too optimistic on my part to see this as a sign of NCSoft's resolve crumbling a bit, but... I can't help but feel like it's a good sign to push efforts into overdrive.  ;)

I'm a little Pollyannish on this one too.

http://www.hkstrategies.com/When_To_Hide_Vs_When_To_Come_Out_Of_The_Bunker

Every time they give us information on the shut down, more people get demoralized, more people "give up the fight". All this adds up to "they stayed in the bunker long enough and win".

Don't let that happen. Keep fighting. Keep demonstrating the fact that there are tens of thousands of angry (but polite) people up in arms over this.

HELP the negotiators by keeping the pressure on.

Electric-Knight

• Elite Boss
  • E-K and Malfaz taking a break, drinking tea
    • www.pauldamonthomas.com
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 12:30:17 AM »
Basically to stop the refund process from screwing up.

You don't have to refund what you dont receive.

So, in this case, it means that from now on, you *cannot* use a game time code, a box code from a version you don't own, or even a trial code to add game time to your account. What they are probably doing is going through, and dragging up *all* of the accounts that are VIP and then working out how much to refund. It is a lot easier to do this if the account creation/subscription system is disabled.
Yeah, honestly, this is what the other half of my head says is the most obvious reason, hehe.

If nothing else, by preventing anyone from becoming VIP, they are eliminating any further complaints or potential refunds that they'd have to deal with.
This way, any box sales that lead to the customer wanting their money back, goes directly to the retailer and not NCSoft.

*shrugs*

I do like our optimistic spin a lot more... But yeah... I don't believe it is inherently good or bad. Regardless, I do believe we have every chance of seeing CoH continue. I just hope the positive things do click for that to happen.
I'm definitely not a mindless optimist... I've had too much bad happen to me for that, haha... But I do hold on to hope no matter how small the odds are, just because... odds mean nothing. The results are all that matter and they don't come in until the game is over, hehe.
Shutting up now...  ;D :-[
--
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
- Baron Munchausen

http://www.pauldamonthomas.com/

Sin Stalker

• Boss
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 12:33:47 AM »
So does this mean we failed?

Vulpy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012, 12:36:58 AM »

No. Even in the event of a transfer of the IP, NCsoft's servers would be shut down for at least a short period. It means that NCsoft isn't interested in hosting the game anymore, but we knew that already. However, it does mean that the outlook is marginally grimmer than it was before.

To paraphrase one of the great thinkers of our time responding to grim tidings:

"What do you do when it feels like you have the weight of the world on your shoulders...?"
"You plant your feet."

@Vulpy
Protector Server

Siberian Spring

• Lieutenant
    • Live Creatively
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 12:38:25 AM »

No. We're not done until we're told negotiations are over, a Kickstarter (or equivalent) fails, and the emulator folks give up. Keep fighting.

Also, has anyone looked at the frequency of gaming media coverage just prior to one of their demoralizing "Sunset" announcements?

Olantern

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2012, 12:42:07 AM »

Not by a longshot.  It just means that NCSoft doesn't want to incur any more financial obligations (like purchases it'd have to refund) related to CoH before it shuts it down.  We already knew NCSoft planned to shut the game down.  This changes nothing on the community visibility front.  We just need to keep making it clear that there's still value in the property both for potential buyers (to encourage them to buy) and the seller (to encourage it to squeeze out that last bit of profit by selling the IP) by showing how devoted the fan base is.  I am probably one of the most pessimistic people around here, but even I submit that even if the game actually shuts down, we still have a chance.  We don't "fail" until we stop trying.  Keep it up, gang!

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2012, 12:43:42 AM »
Also, has anyone looked at the frequency of gaming media coverage just prior to one of their demoralizing "Sunset" announcements?

Pretty much "immediate."  Zwill was fired immediately after posting the "Buy Devs a Dinner" stuff on the Facebook page, for instance.

I think we are at the least making the lives of the people in their PR firm living hell. 

Also: PEOPLE, WATCH OUT FOR MOLES.  Now will be the time for NCSoft or the PR firm to register someone(s) here and start demoralizing and divisive tactics.  We're clearly having an effect.  They are clearly going to want us to go away.  A fast way to do that is to dis-unite us, it's a tactic that goes all the way back to the first union organizers.  If you suspect a mole, report it to the mods.  If you get someone starting fights or negativity in a thread you started, nuke the posts.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Siberian Spring

• Lieutenant
    • Live Creatively
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2012, 12:48:02 AM »
Paranoid much?

Nope... but nothing says optimists can't have a realist streak. :)

Vulpy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2012, 12:49:11 AM »
Paranoid much?

Maybe. Maybe not. We do have to keep both eyes open, though. By contrast, we can't allow our worries to turn us against those that would assist us. Try to maintain a realistic assessment of the situation at all times.
@Vulpy
Protector Server

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2012, 12:53:41 AM »
To be fair, even if the game was going over to another entity (publisher/developer/whatever), getting all of this sorted so that their books are balanced, business is wrapped up on *their* end makes sense.

Yes, there are other ways to do this, but this way is more than likely the easiest to do.
Yeah, this is how I read into it.  They would need to do all of this anyway.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2012, 12:54:38 AM »
Paranoid much?

Just because you are paranoid, it does not follow they are NOT out to get you.