Author Topic: Word-Spreading Event: Media Day  (Read 29153 times)

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
Re: Word-Spreading Event: Media Day
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2012, 12:09:50 PM »
I was actually going to make some effort on writing a "press release" type announcement and vetting it past this thread today (with a pm to Tony and VV to make sure they see it and can put their editorial input on it). The release will be what I intend to send to any media wherein I'm effectively "blind calling" on their contact channels.

I will also be looking into the public-contact methods various major news organizations have for people to send them potential stories. I know they have them. I will try to take a look at St. Louis and Dallas/Fort Worth local news stations and their parent networks; if others would look into their local stations and see what networks parent them, that would also be good. There is a "media contact methods" document in the shared folder linked in the first post that we can use to gather what we find together. When we've got a Titan Network-approved (and maybe Paragon-approved, if Brian can and wishes to take a look at it) solicitation/press release written, I will put that on some web space I purchased when I was initially looking into a kickstarter to try to put together a bid for CoH. (For those who are not aware of how I came to this forum, it was in preparation to build the award levels. I came looking for what people would be interested in, and learned a lot more about the situation. Thus I've put that aside - or at a minimum on a back burner until and unless it becomes actually useful - and am instead focusing on other means to make a unified backing for Paragon's self-purchase negotiations.)

Once it's on that web space, I will either personally - or through asking for volunteers for specific groups - send either a copy of the official press release invitation and/or a link to it on my web space, depending on the size-of-message the contact channel allows. (If TonyV would prefer it somewhere on Titan Network web space for officialness purposes, I am open to that, as well; I just don't want to ask for such when I can volunteer some of my own.)

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2012, 12:18:44 PM »
I'm happy to send out a few emails once you've got the release written, if it'll help :)
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2012, 11:17:47 PM »
I am very gratified to learn and pleased to announce (not that people can't check the document themselves) that so far we have 20 volunteered accounts for loan to our guests, and three volunteers to mentor! Thank you very much, everybody who's donated!

I am going to get on the "find media contact info" task this evening, and will keep everyone posted.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2012, 09:53:57 AM »
Please folks, do not PM me for your volunteer accounts.  All credit for this goes to Segev and Fansy.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2012, 01:00:25 PM »
Please folks, do not PM me for your volunteer accounts.  All credit for this goes to Segev and Fansy.
Oh, geeze, yeah, don't pm people with your account volunteering! There's a link to a folder of google documents at the top of this thread. One of them is for volunteering!

Thank you all so much for the volunteering you're doing.

I am looking at setting a date. I was thinking Oct. 20 for a few reasons (not the least that I know of a RL gaming convention I might be able to get some floor space for a LAN room that anybody who wanted to physically show up could use), but I know that there are other events which, while the opportunity to show them off might be nice, it could conflict with people who want to participate in those and potentially mentor. The other possibility I'm thinking of is Oct. 31; Halloween might not be a bad time to have people out. The drawbacks to this one are twofold: it's less than a week before Election Day, and so the media might just not be interested; and it's only a month before the final shutdown, so the stories will either come out RIGHT on time, or too late for anybody to do anything.

Fansy

• Lieutenant
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2012, 01:13:15 PM »
Give credit where credit is due!

It's all VV's doing and there is nothing she can say to reverse it!

In truth, Segev is the one to speak with on links for signing your name and volunteer accounts. All I am doing is (slowly) reeling in some big fish to use them (when and if they can) -- nothing is 100% for sure until those in question (on the good guy side) can make it in. They are very busy with tight schedules.

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2012, 01:32:32 PM »
Good point on the tight and busy schedules. Fansy, do you think you could do a straw poll as to which of Oct. 20 and 31 are most likely to be "free," and maybe a second one to see if there's just plain a better day before the end of the month? I'm largely flexible, though I work a typical day job schedule with the 20th being the best for me (and the 31st actually being pretty hard for me to do anything with, since it's a weekday...hrm) if only because I was already thinking of taking off that Friday to fly to the convention I mentioned.

Anyway, 20th is becoming more and more my date-of-choice, but if we have a better one for our guests that we know of, our goal IS maximum exposure to people who can spread the word!

Thanks again for your efforts with the enormous fishing rod!

Enson Red Shirt

• Minion
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2012, 04:38:47 PM »
if there is a problem with people getting the game i can put a copy of the installer online as well as a fully updated and ready to run game folder for people to download and instructions for the default paths to drop the game into on their computers its the way i install it on my computers other than my main so i can say that this is a valid working method if the gameserver is no longer allowing the game to download just let me know if it is needed and ill do it

QuantumHero

• Elite Boss
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2012, 05:05:35 PM »
Um I just noticed that October 20th Is te EXACT SAME DAY as Extra Life..Would having it on the same day be a help or hinderance?
If given two roads that lead no where good...stop using roads and carve your own path.

Siberian Spring

• Lieutenant
    • Live Creatively
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2012, 05:38:37 PM »
Um I just noticed that October 20th Is te EXACT SAME DAY as Extra Life..Would having it on the same day be a help or hinderance?

Could be a help. Media plug - Players fighting to save game and playing for charity.

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2012, 06:03:52 PM »
The potential conflict/potential PR boost dichotomy is one of the things that's weighing most heavily on my mind in deciding whether to use Oct. 20 or not. I'm thinking our effort won't be so large that we'll pull enough away from Extra Life to harm it, and that the visibility offered by having media people visiting and seeing the Extra Life event going on will be a net plus. But I am very new to this PR thing; I only have my only-recently-out-of-academia life experience to draw on.

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2012, 03:44:54 PM »
I am not the rhetoritician of these boards by any stretch of the imagination, but here is my first draft of the press release to invite the media to join us on the 20th of October. Please offer any comments on how to better formalize the language, get attention, and on any information that would be useful to include that isn't there (or anything that IS included that shouldn't be).

Thanks for your help! I hope to get a final draft done by this evening and sent out to as many media locales as possible. (I have used my own email address as a contact point; I didn't feel right volunteering anybody else's, but if there is a better one, let me know, please.) This will likely need reformatting out of forum markup language for final distribution.)

Dear Members of the Press,

Doubtless by now you have heard something of the "Save CoH" movement, and know that "CoH" is short for "City of Heroes." There is a rumbling buzz in gamer circles about the sudden and unexpected closure of this popular and profitable Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game (MMORPG, or simply MMO). If you have been interested in finding out more about this so you can present the story of what it is all about, but have not been sure how to get the in-depth news for which you are known, this is your chance! The players of CoH are holding a "Media Day" event on Saturday, the 20th of October.

The players love their game so much that they want to share it with the world before it goes away. To that end, we extend a formal invitation for you to send reporters who would like a guided tour of character creation and mission playing, and to see the City as her players see her. Media guests will be given access to an account through which to experience the game directly, and streaming video of others playing and explaining what they're doing will also be made available. Players in and out of character are eager to answer any questions you might have, and show both in-game events and player-scheduled events - including a charity game-a-thon that is donating money to charities of the game-a-thon-ers' choices - which highlight the heart of the community and why CoH has become such an institution. Already, the efforts of the Save CoH movement have gotten an unprecedented amount of response from the company which owns and is shutting down CoH, NCSoft. We are eager to invite you to come see why!

Come join us for a day of fun and community, and learn what the rumbling buzz is all about so you can share it with your own audience! Contact segev.stormlord@gmail.com or visit the Titan Networks forum to see our organization and RSVP for participation.

We hope to see you in our City,
the Heroes and Villains of Paragon City

QuantumHero

• Elite Boss
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2012, 06:32:07 PM »
Segev,

If we are planning this for October 20th there are certain things to be arranged IMO.

Physical hosting location if any needs to be aquired, if most of this is going to be virtual then the neds are much more modest.

It takes time to arrange computers, av equipment, themed decorating/a backboard, travel arrangements, food if any, presentation materials whether this is videos, pamphlets, etc.  If we have a live media presance then gift bags are a common practice and finding sponsors if we can would be nice (the time window is very short), we are going to have costs associated wih his endevour no matter what we do.

Also is there a complete list of features a true free account has and does not have access to?  I ask because as a paid subscriber who became premier and then VIP I have never faced those limitations.  I have discovered access to a free account (beta) but if absolutely neccesary I may lend a VIP account out for the day.

Is there somewhere specific we should start looking for transport options to?  Do we want to be in costumes, causal or business attire in person/video presention?

Do we need computers transported (glances over laptops)

Do we need light and sound systems, routers, arrange net access?

Thoughts?
If given two roads that lead no where good...stop using roads and carve your own path.

SithRose

• Plan Z: Lore Lead
  • Elite Boss
  • The Phoenix is coming.
    • Missing Worlds Media - Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2012, 07:38:05 PM »
I would tend to recommend against Halloween - At least a portion of people are going to be unavailable that day for Halloween activities. (That includes me.)

There will also be an early afternoon timeslot (PDT) that I will not be available for on the 20th.
Lore Lead for Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
Secretary of Missing Worlds Media, Inc.

P51mus

• Boss
  • aka Pitho
« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2012, 08:24:30 PM »
Also is there a complete list of features a true free account has and does not have access to?  I ask because as a paid subscriber who became premier and then VIP I have never faced those limitations.  I have discovered access to a free account (beta) but if absolutely neccesary I may lend a VIP account out for the day.

The wiki has a list of what various account levels have access to: http://wiki.cohtitan.com/wiki/Account

Free players can look at, but not post to, broadcast chat.  Free players can use team chat, local chat, LFG and help.  Free players cannot send PMs, but can reply to them with /reply, or whatever the player has it bound to. Free players can receive but not send ingame e-mail.

Free players can't trade.  Annoyingly, this means you can't gift them inspirations.  I like to give spare end inspirations to people who are running low.  Free players can't use the invention system or the market, but can use the basic training/DO/SO enhancements.

Free players have access to most ATs, only don't get access to controllers, masterminds and the hero and villain epic ATs.  Free players can get small inspiration drops, but not medium or large.

They have access to a lot of powersets and costumes, but not everything.  There's a lot of powersets and costumes, so it'd be hard to list out everything.

They don't get access to First Ward or Night ward missions, even if it's someone else's.  Or SSA arc missions.  This is unfortunate because these are some very good missions, especially the ones from the newer SSA.  They also can't start a character in Praetoria, and can't use the tip system for side switching (though can join someone that is doing tips).  No access to incarnate content.  They do have access to all non incarnate related TFs, and I believe all other story arcs.

Also, they get only 2 character slots.  Which shouldn't be a problem for an introduction.

Siberian Spring

• Lieutenant
    • Live Creatively
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2012, 08:30:11 PM »
Point to note: Most of the accounts "on offer" for donation are some level of Premium, with only a smattering of Free.

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2012, 08:56:51 PM »
We do have a lot to do, and I am going to make a firm declaration of Oct. 20 as the date.

I have a physical location we can use, but I will expect that most of this will be virtual/online, as I don't expect most people to be able to make it to Rolla, Missouri from hither and yon about the world. (I will be happy to support others having physical locales of their own, if they want to try, but I can obviously only handle one, especially with this short of a notice.) The organizer of Cog Con would be delighted to host a physical location for this effort, and has apparently been attempting to follow what Titan Networks is up to.

So, I'm glad things like lighting and goodie bags and sponsors and all of that have been brought up. We will need a schedule of events, some channels of TwitchTV or other streaming service running with people who are playing and explaining what they're doing, a good voice chat program with some dedicated channels for our guests to use to talk to us, conduct interviews, etc., and, yes, at any physical gathering site, we'll need computers set up.

For the physical site in Rolla, I am going to attempt to recruit some friends into putting word out and seeing if we can't get some student participation - bring their computers and set up as if at a LAN party in one of the rooms of the con. I am working on the press release, as you've doubtless seen the first draft a bit up thread from here; one suggestion has been that it should not read like a letter. Anybody who knows more about how press releases typically look who wants to take a crack at the format, please do! I will give it another go soon.

Sponsors...there is a computer store in Rolla I might be able to talk into helping out, some, but the big thing we'll need sponsors for is those goodie bags and publicity (if we can't just do it through media-contact channels). Who would be good sponsors, though? For the goodie bags, might formerly-Paragon still have promotional gewgaws earmarked for distribution that are never going to be used now? What else might work?

Travel arrangements are pretty much on the participants - guests or otherwise - to handle. I am going to be spending more than I should just to fly to Missouri for this (not enough to break me, but more than I should). This is why an online presence is essential, even with a physical "center" of the action from which to host it. Food...well, depending on our sponsors, we might be able to take media guests out to lunch or something on the 20th if they're physically in Rolla.

Additional guests...if anybody wants to come, please do. I will also extend invitations to Brian and, through him, any others formerly-of-Paragon. I will extend a more direct invitiation to VV; CogCon is a tabletop gaming convention, so she could get some gaming of that sort in there, too. (Again, unless we get sponsors with generous pockets, I can't actually offer to pay for anybody's travel or hotel stay, unfortunately.)

So, I will put out a now-official call for experts in TwitchTV and chat programs to outline how they would set this up. We will need to be able to have everybody who wants to participate be able to establish telepresence, and we'll need some good "interview rooms" on the virtual side.

Volunteers to mentor! If you could at least informally think of what, precisely, you want to show your guests, that's an excellent place to start. We'll try to have a 9 am CDT workshop on character creation for any guests who are taking advantage of our borrowed accounts, and this will follow into the first mission or mission arc, but once there are choices available, mentors, you may be responsible for showing your party of guests around and guiding them through an arc or two.

We want to be sure that anybody who's participating in the Game-a-thon charity event who's willing is also available to tell our media guests about what they're doing and why. Remember, a big part of our showcase here is not just the game, but the community. Have your testimonials ready! If somebody wants to go to the Testimonials thread and extract them into a printer-friendly format, we maybe should make a PDF of some of the best and even print some off for distribution at the event. Bonus points if we can make them look "pretty" with some border graphics.

This is the first event of this sort I've ever attempted to arrange without having some precedent and tradition on which to draw. Anybody with experience at this stuff, please offer advice and whatever aid does not put you out more than you'd like. It is greatly appreciated.

This is not much time. But we're heroes, aren't we? Let's do this!

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2012, 09:17:27 PM »
I'd be proud to stand up and talk to anyone who wants to listen about the work we're doing, both for the charity and to save CoH.

I mean. Come on. Saving sick kids and our own City. What causes are more worthy?
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Vulpy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2012, 09:52:14 PM »
I like the press release. Playing up CoH's philanthropic efforts in the "metamessage," though--the text that accompanies the release--with a link to something like Real World Hero could go pretty far.
@Vulpy
Protector Server

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2012, 09:53:48 PM »
And here I reveal just how much I have to learn here: "text that accompanies the message?"