Author Topic: How To Properly End an MMO.  (Read 13258 times)

Colette

• Elite Boss
How To Properly End an MMO.
« on: September 29, 2012, 04:26:05 PM »
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 05:17:42 PM by TonyV »

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
Re: How To Properly End an MMO.
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 05:44:27 PM »
Point of order: not any one nationality, just a regional market.

And, except for that bit about purchasing VIP status, I think I'd agree that that would have been much better received.  We'd all still be here, fighting to save the city, but we'd maybe feel a little less against the wall and a lot less like we were being thrown out with the trash.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 07:46:30 PM »
I know people don't like reality to rear its ugly head but NCSoft needed to terminate the employees rapidly as with 85 people many of the Obamacare changes could cost them quite a bit more money.

I will try and compare the costs of a sub 50 employee entity to an 85 employee one. I do think it is quite a bit more money they would be on the hook for and so it was pay the $4,000 per employee fine or provide healthcare to match the requirements for each.

Again this is not to throw politics in the mix - it is to help explain a partial motivation they may have had, I could be wrong but it would help explain the rapid timing.

Jetpack

• Underling
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 07:48:07 PM »
I
Again this is not to throw politics in the mix -

And yet......

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 07:54:17 PM »
I don't think the "politics" is an invalid point, but I wouldn't hang a lot of importance on it.  There were likely plenty of places, presumably, where jobs or costs could have been cut if simple cost savings were the only concern. That point has been made a few times over throughout the course of this endeavor.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 08:17:42 PM »
Had "if Obamacare..." been a concern, they could have waited until Nov. 7 or 15 or so to fire all of Paragon Studios. That would have been plenty before Jan. 1, and it would also have let them change their minds if Romney gets elected. Given that Romney's election all but guarantees that Obamacare will be repealed before anybody would have had to actually spend money on compliance, that would've been the better choice.

So while it might have factored in on some level, I doubt it does here.

Osborn

• Boss
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 09:06:49 PM »
Had "if Obamacare..." been a concern, they could have waited until Nov. 7 or 15 or so to fire all of Paragon Studios. That would have been plenty before Jan. 1, and it would also have let them change their minds if Romney gets elected. Given that Romney's election all but guarantees that Obamacare will be repealed before anybody would have had to actually spend money on compliance, that would've been the better choice.

So while it might have factored in on some level, I doubt it does here.

Not to mention that we could argue rounds all day long on whether or not it'd have a negative impact on a business like this which already has an almost entirely college educated high wage workforce which it's already (very probably) paying insurance for as it is (and looking over Glassdoor's reviews 'benefits' and 'wages' was about the only good thing most people had to say about NCSoft), or we could argue all day whether or not having the entire national workforce capable of being on insurance actually being on it would reduce insurance costs for everybody like it does the auto insurance industry or not.

It seems pointless to do in this forum. We'll be here forever speculating on the politics of these actions.

If you're of the mind that taxes being used to pay for health care of employees is bad, I'm not going to probably change your mind and this isn't the place to try, but I do want to mention though that, if they want to avoid paying insurance for their employees through taxes or government mandates, then they're not exactly moving their business to the best place in the world to do that if they move their business to South Korea, a country with a nationalized single payer health care option.

That reminds me of people upset over the Affordable Care Act being outraged over this government intrusion into health care and threatening to move to Canada, of all places...
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 09:18:25 PM by Osborn »

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 09:18:10 PM »
Also a good point, Osborn. Though note they closed, but did not move, the jobs.

But yeah, no point debating other than to note that this likely wasn't a primary or even secondary factor. Maybe tertiary, at absolute most.

Osborn

• Boss
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 09:19:29 PM »
Also a good point, Osborn. Though note they closed, but did not move, the jobs.

But yeah, no point debating other than to note that this likely wasn't a primary or even secondary factor. Maybe tertiary, at absolute most.

That's true too. They didn't outsource CoH or Paragon Studios to another country's workforce, they just straight up axed it. That's not something you do to a property you think is making money but you think the workforce is being paid too much.

Whatever their reasoning is, the most likely reasons for the axe would be either internal pressure due to a shifting power structure in their company (such as Nexon leveraging their majority shares), a change on their focus to their native market (which is pretty much what they told us by saying there is a "realignment of company focus and publishing support"), or because they felt that they needed to support growing, not stable, products (because that's what drives stock market prices is growth, not homeostasis. Debate on whether or not that's a good thing or not at your own leisure, but it's true) and felt the cheapest way to do this wasn't to try to grow that property (because they don't frankly understand the property and don't understand our market so they can't figure out an actionable plan to grow something they don't understand in soil they don't understand, and looking at their Glassdoor reviews they don't trust the chain of command in the West to make decisions) but just to drop it.

Which we're probably proving them wrong with.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 09:25:23 PM by Osborn »

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 10:17:49 PM »
That's true too. They didn't outsource CoH or Paragon Studios to another country's workforce, they just straight up axed it. That's not something you do to a property you think is making money but you think the workforce is being paid too much.

Whatever their reasoning is, the most likely reasons for the axe would be either internal pressure due to a shifting power structure in their company (such as Nexon leveraging their majority shares), a change on their focus to their native market (which is pretty much what they told us by saying there is a "realignment of company focus and publishing support"), or because they felt that they needed to support growing, not stable, products (because that's what drives stock market prices is growth, not homeostasis. Debate on whether or not that's a good thing or not at your own leisure, but it's true) and felt the cheapest way to do this wasn't to try to grow that property (because they don't frankly understand the property and don't understand our market so they can't figure out an actionable plan to grow something they don't understand in soil they don't understand, and looking at their Glassdoor reviews they don't trust the chain of command in the West to make decisions) but just to drop it.

Which we're probably proving them wrong with.
Yeah. We have good reason to be all but positive that their reasons were refocus on a market they understand, and didn't know how to grow CoH so thought it best to cut it as sunk cost. Which is why they are not the enemy: they have every reason to want to turn a sunk cost into a one-off cash influx. They were going to drop it anyway; getting paid to wash their hands of it completely is better than that.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2012, 10:40:23 PM »
or because they felt that they needed to support growing, not stable, products (because that's what drives stock market prices is growth, not homeostasis. Debate on whether or not that's a good thing or not at your own leisure, but it's true)

Well, considering that corporations across the world are pursuing something that is literally impossible (perpetual growth) yeah I'd say that's a bad thing.

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2012, 10:55:07 PM »
I'm interested in your reasoning behind saying perpetual business growth is "literally impossible."

QuantumHero

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2012, 11:17:55 PM »
I'm interested in your reasoning behind saying perpetual business growth is "literally impossible."

Perpetual growth is to some degree inverse to speed of growth IMO.

Widget X comes to market

It needs to make x amount of money to cover start-up costs, production costs, and reasonable staff pay.  It also needs some "rainy day" money, hopefully an intelligently managed line of credit.

Then the company wants to expand...expansion to a degree is good but eventually a tipping point is reached...the company finds that the scale of their operations has changed and that means they must figure out how to adapt.  Some companies do this better then others...and some make the adaptation by morphing into an entirely different entity.

Are public companies even a good thing?  They allow people to invest in a company and give companies extra revenue that is good.

But they also become slaves to the rules and whims of the market.  A company may have created something special and unique they may have a corporate culture but now the share holders and the board are in control.

IMO private companies are better as long as they are managed well.  Of course the heir is not the same person as the founder in a public or private company and things change all the time.

Why do we think the apex of a company is to go public?

It used to mean they were seeking capitol to grow or innovate....what does it means now?

Just something to ponder
If given two roads that lead no where good...stop using roads and carve your own path.

Osborn

• Boss
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2012, 11:32:33 PM »
Well, considering that corporations across the world are pursuing something that is literally impossible (perpetual growth) yeah I'd say that's a bad thing.

And I agree, I was just trying not to make this into a political debate.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2012, 01:12:32 AM »

Does Earth have infinite resources to produce infinite products?

Does Earth have infinite people to buy infinite products?

There's two major limiting factors on growth that cannot be removed, no matter how cunning a company is. Not even if they started mining the moon.

Perpetual growth is also ultimately self-destructive, particularly when it comes to resources. What is good for business in the short-term, is bad for humanity's chances at survival in the long-term.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2012, 01:48:00 AM »
I would have added, to the OP posited shutdown notice, this:

If City of Heroes is purchased by another studio, we will be supporting it until a smooth transition of X days, ensuring that no character or game date is lost, can be achieved.

Which would be trivial to do if part of the purchasing agreement was "we, the purchasing party, will pay the support costs until we can transition to our loader and our new servers."
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2012, 02:42:47 AM »
@Tim: Thanks for your reasoning. (I disagree, but this isn't the forum for an argument. I do appreciate knowing where you were coming from, though.)

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2012, 02:45:12 AM »
I would have added, to the OP posited shutdown notice, this:

If City of Heroes is purchased by another studio, we will be supporting it until a smooth transition of X days, ensuring that no character or game date is lost, can be achieved.

Which would be trivial to do if part of the purchasing agreement was "we, the purchasing party, will pay the support costs until we can transition to our loader and our new servers."
Yeah, that kind of thing is obvious and somewhat of common courtesy.  But, in retrospect, I honestly feel like I could never, ever expect that from NCsoft.  Guess that's the hindsight bias kicking in.

Osborn

• Boss
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2012, 09:57:02 AM »
@Tim: Thanks for your reasoning. (I disagree, but this isn't the forum for an argument. I do appreciate knowing where you were coming from, though.)

You get a model where new shareholders to make money required growth. A stable product like CoH does bad in a public company. Even if a million people play if next year a million and 200,000 don't new stockholders aren't making money. The stock market's homeostasis point is infinity. Therefore new investors pull out causing old investors to sell, causing a stable product to close. Ergo: City of Heroes.

CoH flatlined after a leap in support when CoV came out. Going Rogue and Freedom pumped it slightly but only elevated the flat line. YES the flatline was in the positive. And to a private company that has no shares to move that's great. To NCSoft who can lose money in the stock market EVEN IF the product is moving, just because lack of growth is the same to investors as dying. They expect the market to reach infinity.

Now NCSoft might had been able to grow this property. But with their focus in the East and CoH being marketed solely as a western style comic book they probably decided they didn't have the know how to move it and didn't care to learn and don't trust the chain of command to do it with their HQ's cash. I think it was somewhat dumb myself. The idea this sort of game can't move in the East to me is shortsighted. It requires you to think of CoH in terms less of a Silver Age comic book and more like a Shonen like Anime or Manga ala Naruto or Dragonball Z but it's not that hard. It'd require a few more non-American mascots too.

Some advertising would had helped. GR and Freedom were released like silent farts. The only ad space I saw for the game was literally word of mouth.

It's ironic how much I don't really actually like comics that much and still liked this game.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2012, 10:06:44 AM »
It's crazy-making.  NCSoft saw to it that CoH had a zero (or near it) advertising budget.  Mind you, this is not the first time I have seen this kind of...incomprehensible behavior.  I've even been personally affected by it (*mumble* Bloomsbury and Dead Reckoning and...*mumblecursemumble*).  But it leaves me going WTF? every time.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

redgiant

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2012, 11:04:53 AM »
It requires you to think of CoH in terms less of a Silver Age comic book and more like a Shonen like Anime or Manga ala Naruto or Dragonball Z but it's not that hard. It'd require a few more non-American mascots too.

Maybe this -is- where they are going, and axing CoH is part of that plan.

Instead of remodeling a stately old property, they might think it is easier to simply bulldoze the place, grade the land and build a new house on it. Especially since any new property would be built in an Asian style by an Asian crew.

I always thought they were wanting to do that from the moment they acquired them.

Unfortunately, if this is remotely what they are doing, then it is even less likely they would sell or license any part of CoH because they may reuse parts of the tech or IP, prevent unwanted competition, or even to boost their potential customer base for a new effort from the ashes of this one.

RockLeeXIII

• Minion
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2012, 11:28:57 AM »
:(

i think all heroes should give their power to save the world and it game gets patched to we can play offline ... at least a part of the city

wouldn't be the same but at least we can still enjoy our fav game

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2012, 12:07:19 PM »
It's crazy-making.  NCSoft saw to it that CoH had a zero (or near it) advertising budget.  Mind you, this is not the first time I have seen this kind of...incomprehensible behavior.  I've even been personally affected by it (*mumble* Bloomsbury and Dead Reckoning and...*mumblecursemumble*).  But it leaves me going WTF? every time.

I'm with you on this. I GET what Osborn and the others are saying. On a pure logic level it makes sense.

But then again it doesn't.

I'm a fiscal conservative, and I've never been one to think that big business is, in and of itself, evil. And I still don't.

What I think I'm beginning to see as exemplified in this case though, is that the publicly owned (stockholder) model of business is deeply flawed on some level to allow this sort of thing to happen.

In a privately owned business, a stable product like City of Heroes is a good thing. Even in the flawed model outlined above, it could STILL have been a good (growing) thing if they'd spent even the LEAST amount of money on advertising it!

As you say - it's teeth-grindingly maddening because taken from a normal human POV this whole situation seems STUPID. Even the most modest advertising budget would have made City of Heroes keep growing. We've all heard the stories - word of mouth alone was enough to keep bringing in new players. Some we didn't keep. Others found a home to stay. But We were STABLE - and all without one damn DIME of adverts. Imagine what it would have been like if there HAD been adverts?

WAIT a second. *I LITERALLY just thought of/remembered this*

What about the bloody COMICS? We had a line of COMICS from Blue King and then Top Cow. They were in comic shops for YEARS. Surely that kept COH visibility high amongst the very types of fans that would be interested? Even if they only thumbed through the comics at the store without buying them, they'd be made AWARE of the game!

What happened THERE? Does the loss of the comics track with the slow downward trend in profitability of the game?

Why were -those- cancelled?

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2012, 02:33:21 PM »
Perhaps this is my misunderstanding, but...

Let's say a company goes public. It releases - for easy math's sake - 80 shares at $100 each. The original owner keeps 20 shares for himself.

With the $8000 raised from that initial sale, the company invests in itself and expands. Assuming this expansion is successful, profits go up, presumably by enough that the original owner's 20% of those profits plus any salary he gets as CEO or whatnot are greater than what he was getting as his profits from the sole proprietorship it was before.

Investors take 1% per share of the net profits that get distributed as dividends, each. We'll assume that "reinvestment" from profits is not counted as "profit," so basically, each share is worth 1% of the net profits the company makes to the shareholders.

Now, in the stock market as we know it today, most big players are "playing" the market. Rather than relying on dividends from their stocks, they're "buying low and selling high." The reason stock prices change is because, however, there is a perception that owning those stocks will yield dividends. The paper itself has no value except in its ability to a) allow votes to control the company and b) return some money to the investor.

People who live on their investment income usually play the stock market less to "sell stocks for a profit" and more to live off of dividends. Sure, some will still play the market, buying low, selling high, but the people who long-term invest are counting on their stocks mostly not LOSING value and paying out dividends sufficient to make holding the stocks worthwhile.

If a company reaches a plateau and isn't "growing" anymore, but is steadily profiting, its stocks are not worthless to new investors. Its stocks are only "worthless" to those playing the market to buy low and sell high. The so-called "high risk" investors, really. To investors who are looking for a solid long-term investment, they're ideal; they pay out dividends reliably and they hold their value. In an inflationary economy, the stocks still grow in market value apace with inflation because they are tied in value to how well the company is doing (and thus how much dividends they pay).

So I think saying the public ownership model is flawed is a mistake. Some people's understanding of it is flawed, but remember, stocks represent shared ownership in a company. And the owners of a company are the ones who get to keep the profits. Stocks have value because a company makes a profit and pays dividends.

This is, admittedly, a rather simplistic view. I know there are "non-voting shares" and there are "non-dividends-receiving shares" and all sorts of categories and kinds of stock, with "options" and other weird constructions that make it all very complicated, but I think this core thesis is still true: stocks aren't worthless if a company stays stable and profitable.

Also, it's worth noting, once a company has gone public, the company gains no money from investors who buy its stocks after the initial release. The hypothetical company in our example got $8000 from its initial release. Even if its stocks rise to be worth $10,000/share, the company is not getting any more money when the shares are sold. Not unless it issues another stock-release. It's shareholders make a lot of money by selling off those suddenly-more-valuable shares, and the company is likely making MASSIVE profits if its stocks have risen in value like that, but the barring the company releasing more shares or trying to buy back its own shares (to reduce the number in existence), the company made exactly $8000 from any direct action of the stock market.

So even if CoH were publicly held, and for some reason nobody wanted to buy the shares, it wouldn't matter as long as CoH made money. It would keep running.

(Now, where a flaw might enter in is when a stockholder - particularly on the Board or as a major executive - wants to not make money off his dividends but by playing the market with the company's stocks. He isn't happy with the way things are set up if it's "merely" making steady profits and the stock price is staying stable. So he might try to manipulate things, either nefariously depressing values so he can buy more at a low price to sell higher when it re-stabilizes, or by deciding to take needlessly risky actions to "grow the company" and hope to spur investment activity that will drive up the stock prices..even if there's no real chance of success. This can cause serious damage to a company, and is one of the dangers of having a pure "financial class" of leader who is only concerned with stock prices and not with the actual real health of the company and its products.)

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2012, 03:33:02 PM »

(Now, where a flaw might enter in is when a stockholder - particularly on the Board or as a major executive - wants to not make money off his dividends but by playing the market with the company's stocks. He isn't happy with the way things are set up if it's "merely" making steady profits and the stock price is staying stable. So he might try to manipulate things, either nefariously depressing values so he can buy more at a low price to sell higher when it re-stabilizes, or by deciding to take needlessly risky actions to "grow the company" and hope to spur investment activity that will drive up the stock prices..even if there's no real chance of success. This can cause serious damage to a company, and is one of the dangers of having a pure "financial class" of leader who is only concerned with stock prices and not with the actual real health of the company and its products.)

Interesting thought. Is there any way to "follow the money" and see who would actually benefit from NCSoft making bad business decisions?

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2012, 03:37:38 PM »
Small note; until 1965 the US had a market transaction tax of a half percent to prevent rapid trading. After we ended it, other nations followed.

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2012, 04:21:45 PM »
"NCSoft might had been able to grow this property. But with their focus in the East and CoH being marketed solely as a western style comic book they probably decided they didn't have the know how to move it and didn't care to learn...."

I believe that's the case. We here can see that an inexpensive one-page ad in a Marvel or DC comic book every few months would have kept customers coming in. CoH is, discounting the inept DCO and  CO, the only game in town if you wanna make your own superhero. But the folks at NC-Soft bought CoH simply for revenue, and have no understanding of the genre or the culture. Now they want to "refocus" their efforts to the greater Asian market rather than learning how to capitalize on this terrific, if foreign, property.

The word for this is provincialism.

"...we'd maybe feel a little less against the wall and a lot less like we were being thrown out with the trash."

Well said. Due to NC-Soft's utter lack of empathy for our concerns, our feelings, our investment and our hopes, we have been treated like garbage.

If they had any empathy, they would not have sold us "Nature Mastery" three days before the announcement, in bad faith. They would not have left Issue 24 to wither on the beta server. They would not have shut off VIP status without notice, they'd not fire the Paragon staff without notice... oh, I could go on!

Why no empathy? Because they see us as incoming won, not as people. And frankly, I consider that racism-in-action. (Yes Tony, feel free to edit that out if you feel it jeopardizes the fragile negotiations. Love ya, man!) In studying foreign languages and cultures (in my case Spanish and Japanese) the people come alive as people, whereas cultures I've not studied (let's say Arabic or Indian) feel more like an undifferentiated mass. Undifferentiated masses are easier to mistreat and exploit than people.

So... my message to the developers of other MMOs is -- observe NC-Soft's behavior and do not emulate it. We can purchase a game like Civilization and it remains ours forever, or we can spend much more for a monthly subscription game only for it to expire. If every game company behaves as NC-Soft has, the MMO as a genre is finished!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 04:33:13 PM by Colette »

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2012, 05:05:45 PM »

This may not be the thread for this, but this passage got my wheels turning. This is merely speculation and a rhetorical question, but could this be one of the points in the current negotiations, possibly even one that is taking time to hammer out?

This being the internet, I fully expect someone to answer this, but it's not my intention. Just voicing a thought, not trying to derail the thread.

Carry on.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2012, 11:30:15 PM »
Some of the stuff Larry dug out indicated that Nexon had gotten a controlling (which is different from majority) share in NCSoft stock.

Nexon's focus is almost entirely on 2D, browser based, social games.  Maple Story is their big hit, and it is mind-bogglingly popular in Asia.

@dwturducken, I have no more idea than you do.  But man, it would be nice if that were the case.

Osborn

• Boss
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2012, 11:44:21 PM »
Perhaps this is my misunderstanding, but...

Let's say a company goes public. It releases - for easy math's sake - 80 shares at $100 each. The original owner keeps 20 shares for himself.

With the $8000 raised from that initial sale, the company invests in itself and expands. Assuming this expansion is successful, profits go up, presumably by enough that the original owner's 20% of those profits plus any salary he gets as CEO or whatnot are greater than what he was getting as his profits from the sole proprietorship it was before.

Yeah, that's the basic idea that they're crowd funding the company's growth.

Investors take 1% per share of the net profits that get distributed as dividends, each. We'll assume that "reinvestment" from profits is not counted as "profit," so basically, each share is worth 1% of the net profits the company makes to the shareholders.

Now, in the stock market as we know it today, most big players are "playing" the market. Rather than relying on dividends from their stocks, they're "buying low and selling high." The reason stock prices change is because, however, there is a perception that owning those stocks will yield dividends. The paper itself has no value except in its ability to a) allow votes to control the company and b) return some money to the investor.

While that's true that's a bit like saying that money itself has no value other than the fact it's on linen paper, or that your electronic bank account has no value other than being a few trapped electrons.

That perception matters a lot. Perception is basically all the economy is and ever has been. Greece entered is free fall not because its economy couldn't recover, because in many ways it was in better shape than America was in the 1940's before its biggest growth ever, but because investor perception that Greece wasn't going to do well destroyed confidence in trading with it, which made its debts more expensive which made it have to take more debt, round and round.

Divorcing perception from the economy would require us all to be some sort of economic Vulcans or something, and then purposefully divorce it. I can't even say that we have to be robots because most of our trading is done by robots now and the robots still run on the perceptions because that's what we taught them to do.

That's the crux of my point. I'm not arguing any of this sort of thing is sane or logical or even good.

People who live on their investment income usually play the stock market less to "sell stocks for a profit" and more to live off of dividends. Sure, some will still play the market, buying low, selling high, but the people who long-term invest are counting on their stocks mostly not LOSING value and paying out dividends sufficient to make holding the stocks worthwhile.

This is true for some breeds of customer. This is true for the breed with just enough to buy enough stocks all at once that their trickle of income from a flat lined stock can pay dividends enough to matter within their fragile lifetime.

But even then, to them, they're not looking in the Loooooong term, they're looking in the relative long term, because they're not Methuselahs. To pay dividends in the relatively short term that matters and in a way they're not effectively losing money (like yes if you pay 100 dollars and get 200 dollars over 300 years you're making money but you've still lost 100 dollars for the first 100 years or so), they need either serious foresight, and I mean like crystal ball lottery luck, or they need a growing company.

And moreover to that, again, if the company isn't growing and these sorts of middle of the road guys pull out for greener pastures, it will cause more people to pull out, etc., basically draining a company of money they've already sort of spent in the growth of their company (because let's be honest, if a company sells stock it's not to make itself into a bank, it's to purchase goods to grow or maintain the company). Then the company has to start selling pieces of itself to recover the losses from the loss of sales of stock, even if those pieces were healthy kidneys like City of Heroes.

If a company reaches a plateau and isn't "growing" anymore, but is steadily profiting, its stocks are not worthless to new investors. Its stocks are only "worthless" to those playing the market to buy low and sell high. The so-called "high risk" investors, really. To investors who are looking for a solid long-term investment, they're ideal; they pay out dividends reliably and they hold their value. In an inflationary economy, the stocks still grow in market value apace with inflation because they are tied in value to how well the company is doing (and thus how much dividends they pay).

I agree it's not worthless, but the perception is that it is (worthless) because most of us are not buying stock with plans to have it pay out in the year 2150. That perception becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

If people could or rather would be inclined to loan as confidently to a flat line as they will loan to a line pointing sunward, then it wouldn't be a problem.

Eventually, I think this problem is going to creep into the Kickstarter movement. Kickstarters aren't really that new an idea, they're basically stock options that you get jack nothing for, except the perception that your favorite goodies might come back. Eventually for whatever reason a high enough bank roll Kickstarter is going to fail (it's inevitable, even the best intentions can fail), and it's going to cause an epic crap-storm that is going to put regulations on the business that is going to transform it effectively into a specialized stock broker.

Bank rolls on Kickstarters are inevitably going to go up until something turns into a massive scale failure, as long as people start to become more and more confident that a Kickstarter is effectively pre-ordering your wishes and fantasies.

So I think saying the public ownership model is flawed is a mistake. Some people's understanding of it is flawed, but remember, stocks represent shared ownership in a company. And the owners of a company are the ones who get to keep the profits. Stocks have value because a company makes a profit and pays dividends.

Again, I don't believe you can really divorce 'some people's understanding' of it and what it actually is. Stocks represent more than shared ownership of a company, they represent the perception that they have value beyond a vote. And when that perception is shattered, people are going to invest elsewhere.

This is, admittedly, a rather simplistic view. I know there are "non-voting shares" and there are "non-dividends-receiving shares" and all sorts of categories and kinds of stock, with "options" and other weird constructions that make it all very complicated, but I think this core thesis is still true: stocks aren't worthless if a company stays stable and profitable.

Again, I'm not debating that.

Also, it's worth noting, once a company has gone public, the company gains no money from investors who buy its stocks after the initial release. The hypothetical company in our example got $8000 from its initial release. Even if its stocks rise to be worth $10,000/share, the company is not getting any more money when the shares are sold. Not unless it issues another stock-release. It's shareholders make a lot of money by selling off those suddenly-more-valuable shares, and the company is likely making MASSIVE profits if its stocks have risen in value like that, but the barring the company releasing more shares or trying to buy back its own shares (to reduce the number in existence), the company made exactly $8000 from any direct action of the stock market.

This is semantics, mostly. I understand that, and I don't think anybody is really contesting that. When we say those shares add value to the company it's with the assumption that the company is going to look for more investors. And it sort of has to, because they don't want to have to pay out suddenly 10,000 dollars to all the people it owes money to.

It's like alcoholism mixed with gambling addiction in a way.

So even if CoH were publicly held, and for some reason nobody wanted to buy the shares, it wouldn't matter as long as CoH made money. It would keep running.

Presuming those people felt it was making enough and didn't sell their shares. This is probably where CoH, a small enough property can use the oversight in Kickstarters to basically sell 'stock' in the company that gives the customer nothing other than the perception they're basically pre-ordering more City of Heroes.

Now, where a flaw might enter in is when a stockholder - particularly on the Board or as a major executive - wants to not make money off his dividends but by playing the market with the company's stocks. He isn't happy with the way things are set up if it's "merely" making steady profits and the stock price is staying stable. So he might try to manipulate things, either nefariously depressing values so he can buy more at a low price to sell higher when it re-stabilizes, or by deciding to take needlessly risky actions to "grow the company" and hope to spur investment activity that will drive up the stock prices..even if there's no real chance of success. This can cause serious damage to a company, and is one of the dangers of having a pure "financial class" of leader who is only concerned with stock prices and not with the actual real health of the company and its products.

Ah see, now you're getting it, though. This is the sort of thing I was talking about. While CEOs can do this with much greater damaging effect though, (mostly because while you might be wielding a spoon and a 'mere' millionaire might be wielding a sledgehammer they're wielding effectively a Caterpillar Bulldozer with an ejection seat if their construction efforts goes pear shaped on them), this effect isn't limited to them.

Like, oh, I agree that the rich and powerful have power and riches enough to do much more damage than say, Joe Owns One Share, if their goal isn't to stabilize the company or do what's best for the employees and customer but rather than to try to make enough money to embarrass God himself. But I'm also not necessarily a fan of a system that believes the lowest common denominator of motivation among most us (greed) should be extolled and worshiped as 'virtues' at the cost of all else.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting thought. Is there any way to "follow the money" and see who would actually benefit from NCSoft making bad business decisions?

No, not really. Once that money becomes somebody's private property you need legal muscle to see it again. And of course the more powerful the individual, the more legal muscle you need. Basically 'following the money' would require following their private lives around, which isn't legal in the United States, and I'm pretty sure isn't legal in most places.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"NCSoft might had been able to grow this property. But with their focus in the East and CoH being marketed solely as a western style comic book they probably decided they didn't have the know how to move it and didn't care to learn...."

I believe that's the case. We here can see that an inexpensive one-page ad in a Marvel or DC comic book every few months would have kept customers coming in. CoH is, discounting the inept DCO and  CO, the only game in town if you wanna make your own superhero. But the folks at NC-Soft bought CoH simply for revenue, and have no understanding of the genre or the culture. Now they want to "refocus" their efforts to the greater Asian market rather than learning how to capitalize on this terrific, if foreign, property.

The word for this is provincialism.

And what I was saying is that it's funny because 'our culture and genre' isn't much different than some of their own genres. There's a lot of overlap between Manga and Comic Books. I think they have more in common than they don't. City of Heroes, while steeped in spandex, wasn't all about just straight up X-Men/Fanatastic Four characters.

"...we'd maybe feel a little less against the wall and a lot less like we were being thrown out with the trash."

Well said. Due to NC-Soft's utter lack of empathy for our concerns, our feelings, our investment and our hopes, we have been treated like garbage.

If they had any empathy, they would not have sold us "Nature Mastery" three days before the announcement, in bad faith. They would not have left Issue 24 to wither on the beta server. They would not have shut off VIP status without notice, they'd not fire the Paragon staff without notice... oh, I could go on!

Yeah, the term I've been using for this has been 'clownish'.

Why no empathy? Because they see us as incoming won, not as people. And frankly, I consider that racism-in-action. (Yes Tony, feel free to edit that out if you feel it jeopardizes the fragile negotiations. Love ya, man!) In studying foreign languages and cultures (in my case Spanish and Japanese) the people come alive as people, whereas cultures I've not studied (let's say Arabic or Indian) feel more like an undifferentiated mass. Undifferentiated masses are easier to mistreat and exploit than people.

This isn't necessarily related to race. There are plenty of American companies who see other same race, same religion, same political party Americans in the same way.

I think their decision to focus on the East was, again a mixture of incompetence and arrogance and their inability to differ decisions handling money to the chain of command. If that makes their focus on the East, it's less because we have rounder eyes and more because that's where they are and what they understand and it's cheapest for them to develop.

Their non-CoH line up is embarrassingly all the same. If I threw the mascots of most their other games together and shook the bag up and emptied it out, only people who've played the game would be able to point out what game it was. It's just generic bikini armored woman fantasy as far as the eye can see.

So... my message to the developers of other MMOs is -- observe NC-Soft's behavior and do not emulate it. We can purchase a game like Civilization and it remains ours forever, or we can spend much more for a monthly subscription game only for it to expire. If every game company behaves as NC-Soft has, the MMO as a genre is finished!

Our message can't be to tell them not to emulate it, it has to be to reward those who don't emulate it by buying and to not buy from those who do emulate it. Telling them might inform them of you feelings and let them predict your money ahead of time, but let's be honest, as you said, we're dollars on a spreadsheet.

This may not be the thread for this, but this passage got my wheels turning. This is merely speculation and a rhetorical question, but could this be one of the points in the current negotiations, possibly even one that is taking time to hammer out?

This being the internet, I fully expect someone to answer this, but it's not my intention. Just voicing a thought, not trying to derail the thread.

Carry on.

I'm sure that transition of the game HAS to be part of the negotiations. That'd be like buying a car and not figuring out whether or not it has wheels and can leave the sales lot or not. Somebody somewhere will absolutely have to figure the game transition out. Like if it's not part of the negotiations then we officially have two sets of amateur clowns at the table arguing.

"I would like to buy this large thing but I have no intention of finding a way to get it home!" is pretty silly, especially when 'this thing' is a million dollar product.

The point of the OP's letter was that, it would had been nice if NCSoft spelled out their demands for the sale of the game ahead of time. But NCSoft never intended to sell really, so that's why they didn't. They were just like "Nope, we're done!"
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 12:11:00 AM by Osborn »

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2012, 02:51:22 AM »
Quote from: Osborn
Quote from: Segev

Presuming those people felt it was making enough and didn't sell their shares.
No, this is wrong, and for an important reason.

Let's say our hypothetical company sold its 80 shares at $100 each. It got $8000 out of this.

If the shareholders all decided to sell because they didn't like the dividends and thought the company was stagnating, they could. Stock price would drop. Let's say it drops to $1/share. Somebody out there bought it at that rate, or it wouldn't have sold at all. And, if nobody will buy it at that rate, nothing stops the original owner from buying it up, himself, at the lowest rate he can get (say 50 cents/share).

Case 1) Nobody buys it at all; the stockholders are left holding 80 shares and NOBODY will buy them, despite the fact that the company is making a steady profit despite not growing. Barring the 80 stockholders getting together and using their votes to change the directino of the company, the company still is up the $8000 it got. It is under no obligation to pay out anything but the dividends it owes per share.

Case 2) Somebody buys them at a much lower rate than originally sold. This person likely is interested in controlling the company for some reason. Let's say it's the original owner, who put out 50 cents/share and pays $40 for the 80 shares. He now has 100% ownership of the company again, the company is still making the same profit it was before the stock price dropped, and the company is still up the $8000 from where it was before the stocks were sold. Or maybe it's up only $7960, if the original owner had the company buy the stocks back, itself (making his 20 shares the ONLY existing shares for the same net effect of giving himself 100% ownership once more).

So stock prices don't really hurt a company, except in that they could lead to a case 3:

3) Some jerk buys up 51 of those shares to gain controlling interest in the company, and fires its current leadership to try to totally change its direction. This results in the death of the company because its just-fine profits are gone and the risky expansions fail miserably. (In our example, anyway.)

downix

• Elite Boss
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2012, 04:48:43 AM »
And what I was saying is that it's funny because 'our culture and genre' isn't much different than some of their own genres. There's a lot of overlap between Manga and Comic Books. I think they have more in common than they don't. City of Heroes, while steeped in spandex, wasn't all about just straight up X-Men/Fanatastic Four characters.
This I feel is the flaw of City of Hero, they tried to shoe-horn in something it wasn't. They began with some of the right ideas, give some eastern-centric characters (Foreshadow, Mirror Spirit, Rose Star and Spark Blade) but failed to actually develop an eastern city to work from. This was the failing point I feel, what was needed was a level 1-20 zone which captured the right essence. The actual villain groups would work fine, it was the lack of a comfort zone, as it were. Could have even just have been a zone or two, the "old chinatown" in Paragon. Put it between Talos and Sirens Call on the map, or above Sirens/Steel between it and Boomtown. A more dynamic setup.

Some more manga-themed starting missions could have given a good kick to start it.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2012, 05:22:13 AM »
This I feel is the flaw of City of Hero, they tried to shoe-horn in something it wasn't. They began with some of the right ideas, give some eastern-centric characters (Foreshadow, Mirror Spirit, Rose Star and Spark Blade) but failed to actually develop an eastern city to work from. This was the failing point I feel, what was needed was a level 1-20 zone which captured the right essence. The actual villain groups would work fine, it was the lack of a comfort zone, as it were. Could have even just have been a zone or two, the "old chinatown" in Paragon. Put it between Talos and Sirens Call on the map, or above Sirens/Steel between it and Boomtown. A more dynamic setup.

Some more manga-themed starting missions could have given a good kick to start it.

From talking in depth with Dark Watcher (who is a programmer), the problem was that there wasn't a whole lot of room for new zones, at least in Paragon (might have been able to shoehorn them in as a whole new expansion, or MAYBE in the Isles).  It was a matter of coding, I gather.  That was why they were revamping the old zones rather than building new.

downix

• Elite Boss
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2012, 05:30:38 AM »
From talking in depth with Dark Watcher (who is a programmer), the problem was that there wasn't a whole lot of room for new zones, at least in Paragon (might have been able to shoehorn them in as a whole new expansion, or MAYBE in the Isles).  It was a matter of coding, I gather.  That was why they were revamping the old zones rather than building new.

Could have been the Faultline revamp, which did get some eastern flair as it was. Or Boomtown.

Osborn

• Boss
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2012, 07:19:35 AM »

How is there not enough room in Paragon City? It's a virtual city, there's infinite space. It could even be in spaces that don't make logic sense (like say, one warehouse door leading into a tech base, then that same door leading into a sewer?). They even had all that 'empty' space between the zones you're presumed to just drive through on the train where they could had put anything, if they're trying to fit it in the city itself.

Yeah, those areas aren't protected by War Walls, but the War Walls were frankly a dinosaur idea to make barriers to zones that weren't invisible walls. Then later they just made invisible walls anyways in the Rogue Isles.

Yeah, I agree a lot. City Of Hero seemed like it was given roughly no care.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2012, 12:28:33 AM »
How is there not enough room in Paragon City? It's a virtual city, there's infinite space. It could even be in spaces that don't make logic sense (like say, one warehouse door leading into a tech base, then that same door leading into a sewer?). They even had all that 'empty' space between the zones you're presumed to just drive through on the train where they could had put anything, if they're trying to fit it in the city itself.

From my ... investigations ... it appears clear that the server uses a static ID numbering system for public zones. Said system has a limited number of IDs before running out, and they can't easily expand it upward as it would immediately bump into the IDs used for automatically created instances of existing zones (Atlas Park 2, etc).

Current indications are that there were 16 unused zone IDs left. They could have possibly squeezed in about 5 or 6 more past that by re-arranging some old ones.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2012, 12:33:55 AM »
From my ... investigations ... it appears clear that the server uses a static ID numbering system for public zones. Said system has a limited number of IDs before running out, and they can't easily expand it upward as it would immediately bump into the IDs used for automatically created instances of existing zones (Atlas Park 2, etc).

Current indications are that there were 16 unused zone IDs left. They could have possibly squeezed in about 5 or 6 more past that by re-arranging some old ones.

Wow... you'd think that after the Y2K bug fiasco, everyone would've learned their lesson.

Terwyn

• Plan Z: Business/Marketing Lead
  • Elite Boss
    • Missing Worlds
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2012, 12:45:01 AM »

One of the basic rules mentioned in every single one of my classes in my Business Administration & Marketing program: No marketing, no business.

Without the support of advertising and marketing, the game was automatically on life-support.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
- Albert Einstein

http://missingworlds.wordpress.com

Osborn

• Boss
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2012, 01:21:17 AM »

Couldn't they expand it upwards beyond that area? I mean, if they can add zones to the Rogue Isles, and players can travel there, then realistically what is the difference? Why not add the new zones to the 'Rogue Isles' and just have it be part of Paragon City in character that you can travel to. No player has to know, because it's not like geography matters.

I guess it seems weird to me that you can run out of numbers.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2012, 01:35:22 AM »
Couldn't they expand it upwards beyond that area? I mean, if they can add zones to the Rogue Isles, and players can travel there, then realistically what is the difference? Why not add the new zones to the 'Rogue Isles' and just have it be part of Paragon City in character that you can travel to. No player has to know, because it's not like geography matters.

I guess it seems weird to me that you can run out of numbers.
The Rogue Isles are part of the same game, not some separate list of zones.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2012, 01:50:08 AM »
... whilst making ID's 64+ be the "duplicate" zones (ie Atlas Park 2/3/33 etc). ...
51 zones + 16 free = 67 total, so 68+ would be duplicate. I can easily see why the original devs back in 2002-2004 never expected to see that many zones and thought it would last them through the life of the game. Of course, the players don't really have the same view of the life expectancy of the game, so 67 is getting pretty tight in these parts.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2012, 02:43:08 AM »
Never underestimate the propensity of a programmer under pressure to just say "oh f-- it" and hard code in a number.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2012, 03:09:51 AM »
1-100 for normal zones.
101-199 for Atlas Park 2 - Atlas Park 100 (though only 51 Atlas Parks are currently defined, so they *could* use some of the empty space for another zone, but it would be a dirty, dirty hack and that zone would be a one-off unable to spawn more instances due to too many players).
201-299 for the instances of zone #2.
So on and so forth.

There's nothing special about Rogue Isles or Praetorian zones that sets them apart.

If you think there's only 60ish being used, you're forgetting a few. :)

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2012, 03:13:30 AM »
1-100 for normal zones.
101-199 for Atlas Park 2 - Atlas Park 100 (though only 51 Atlas Parks are currently defined, so they *could* use some of the empty space for another zone, but it would be a dirty, dirty hack and that zone would be a one-off unable to spawn more instances due to too many players).
201-299 for the instances of zone #2.
So on and so forth.

There's nothing special about Rogue Isles or Praetorian zones that sets them apart.

If you think there's only 60ish being used, you're forgetting a few. :)

That is a handsome set of stone tablets you're toting there, Moses.  /em fancybow

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2012, 03:26:56 AM »
Well, you got PDP, Echo: DA, Echo: Galaxy.

Off the top of my head, there's also the PVP zones, Tunnels of the unicorns if you didn't count them in the Paragon total, Rikti Crash Site, old Faultline, Midnighter Club, Fort Trident, The Cruicible, First Ward, Night Ward (so 8 for Praetoria), destroyed Galaxy City tutorial, the original Galaxy City (it's still there separate from the echo, I have a character logged off there), um.... Precinct 5 Tutorial, and Lord Winter's Realm.

There's also a few one-offs that could probably be removed and recycled. For instance, the special copy of Ouroboros they made for the wedding event.

And yes, the way zone IDs are allocated could be redone I'm sure. It's just a question of how much work it would have been and how many other systems had to be touched (Pocket D teleporter for one uses a static teleport to zone 83 in the power definition; there may be others).

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2012, 03:52:16 AM »
As far as I know iTrial maps operate like regular instanced mission maps. You can actually get a lot more than 8 people on a mission map if the leader quits team and invites more.

There's actually 5 different Winter Realm zones, with different layouts.

Eating up another 10 spots in the ID list are the extra 10 copies of Outbreak. I don't know why they exist; possibly predating the multiple zone-spawning system as a way to handle overflow from too many new players. Those might be able to be reclaimed now, especially since Outbreak is no longer in active use.

There's 7 more that I know of that haven't been mentioned, but it's unlikely (though not impossible) that anyone has heard of them or stumbled across them. Nothing juicy, just really, really old stuff that could probably be removed -- those are the ones I mentioned that I thought could be recycled without too much trouble.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2012, 03:54:19 AM »
Lemme run my three characters that are logged out in Outbreak through before you go repurposing the zone!

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2012, 03:54:42 AM »
As far as I know iTrial maps operate like regular instanced mission maps. You can actually get a lot more than 8 people on a mission map if the leader quits team and invites more.

There's actually 5 different Winter Realm zones, with different layouts.

Eating up another 10 spots in the ID list are the extra 10 copies of Outbreak. I don't know why they exist; possibly predating the multiple zone-spawning system as a way to handle overflow from too many new players. Those might be able to be reclaimed now, especially since Outbreak is no longer in active use.

There's 7 more that I know of that haven't been mentioned, but it's unlikely (though not impossible) that anyone has heard of them or stumbled across them. Nothing juicy, just really, really old stuff that could probably be removed -- those are the ones I mentioned that I thought could be recycled without too much trouble.

*Sits at Codewalker's feet, rapidly scribing into a vellum-paged book, entitled "Thee Bibble."*

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2012, 03:56:47 AM »
Lemme run my three characters that are logged out in Outbreak through before you go repurposing the zone!

Hehe, well I meant you could probably remove the 10 (out of 11) extra versions, leaving only one behind.

However, if there were characters that logged out in different Outbreaks, then you couldn't do that without breaking them; or manually moving them. Since they're <100 zone IDs they act like standard zones rather than overflow zones (which redirect you to the lowest instance at login).

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2012, 04:09:04 AM »
I was supposed to put a smiley at the end of that, but it's must be past my bedtime.  I could swear someone just told VV in another thread that she deserved an "adorable mention."  :D

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2012, 04:14:12 AM »
Although, to be fair, it was probably a legacy design limitation. They probably didn't think that in the end they would end up with over 64 zones in the game, especially when at the start (8 years ago) they probably had half this number.

*edit*

Yeah, maybe so. I can't remember for sure, but I feel like the game didn't create multiple zone instances in the beginning. Either that or the population cap on zones was much higher.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2012, 06:12:59 AM »
Yeah, maybe so. I can't remember for sure, but I feel like the game didn't create multiple zone instances in the beginning. Either that or the population cap on zones was much higher.
I'm pretty sure that we had multiple instances as early as the first Halloween event.  We may not have had them at launch, though.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Greg Lloyd

• Minion
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2012, 07:52:19 AM »

I still have some toons in Outbreak, in Breakout, and in old Galaxy City. When I went through and used Sentinel to archive my vast array of characters I stumbled across a few oddities.

I especially liked how hard it is to leave Galaxy City since the train doesn't connect through anymore.
G

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2012, 02:05:39 PM »
They've probably fixed it by now, but the last one I found in Outbreak, I chose Galaxy at the end. I don't remember how I got out, because I couldn't even use the Pocket D teleporter until I leveled up to 2, and BABs wasn't on his pedestal. :)

QuantumHero

• Elite Boss
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2012, 02:57:23 PM »
They've probably fixed it by now, but the last one I found in Outbreak, I chose Galaxy at the end. I don't remember how I got out, because I couldn't even use the Pocket D teleporter until I leveled up to 2, and BABs wasn't on his pedestal. :)

I had a toon in old galaxy...I got out by walking through the highway gate.  It was an interesting experiance having an entire populated zone to myself.  Enemies to fight and pedestrians but no contacts or levelers
If given two roads that lead no where good...stop using roads and carve your own path.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2012, 03:53:08 PM »
The gate to Perez park definitely still works in the old Galaxy to get you out, but the spawn point was removed, so it dumps you in the middle of the map.

The return gate from Perez to Galaxy does not work -- the "guards" (they're really doors and are part of the map) are still there behind the barrier, but the destination information was removed. If you manage to click on one by getting under the map and flying, they simply tell you that you cannot enter.

The tunnel out of Galaxy to King's Row probably works as well, but I haven't tested it. Edit: QuantumHero confirmed that it does.

QuantumHero

• Elite Boss
« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2012, 04:45:35 PM »
I'm trying to remember but I *think* the kings row gate dumped me on the atlas spawn point...this was a couple of months back.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2012, 10:15:11 AM »
You know, I can add something else to "How to Properly End an MMO."

Don't lie.

Especially don't lie to your customers.

Don't lie to your customers by forging resignation letters.

Don't lie to your customers, telling them how sorry you are that you are going to pave over their playground.

Don't lie to your customers, telling them how much you supported their game, when the evidence all points to the contrary.

Really.  Don't lie.  Because the Internet never forgets, the Internet has perfect memory, and it's all out there to expose your lies for what they are.

Quinch

« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2012, 10:56:02 AM »
Well, it's not quite true. The internet is very, very easily distracted - it's just that it's even better at keeping notes.

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2012, 01:42:07 PM »
The internet is very easily distracted, but it also has a billion attentions to focus at any given point in time.

downix

• Elite Boss
« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2012, 02:05:28 PM »
You know, I can add something else to "How to Properly End an MMO."

Don't lie.

Especially don't lie to your customers.

Don't lie to your customers by forging resignation letters.

Don't lie to your customers, telling them how sorry you are that you are going to pave over their playground.

Don't lie to your customers, telling them how much you supported their game, when the evidence all points to the contrary.

Really.  Don't lie.  Because the Internet never forgets, the Internet has perfect memory, and it's all out there to expose your lies for what they are.
you forgot Wheatons Law: Don't be a jerk.

StarRanger4

• Boss
« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2012, 02:53:24 PM »
Sadly, it looks like quite a bit of this can be explained as their trying to 'rebuild' Kibun.

Infodump Here:http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,5449.0.html

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2012, 03:11:07 PM »
Sadly, it looks like quite a bit of this can be explained as their trying to 'rebuild' Kibun.

Infodump Here:http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,5449.0.html
Indeed.

Now, however, that we know this...they do not, if this is what they're doing, think they're being jerks. They think they're being polite, and they're fumbling for how to do so just as, if we were dealing with them and seeing them get madder and madder at us for telling them blunt truths and working our hardest to solve the problem directly, we would be at a loss as to how to make headway.

Yes, they probably know a bit about what makes us tick, culturally, and understand kibun isn't the "right" way, but they also feel kibun in their cultural bones and can't escape it any more than we can our own concepts of virtue and honesty above all else. And if we CAN try to meet them half-way, offering them our efforts to preserve their kibun in return for them recognizing that we are not affronted by truth, we will likely make more progress.

One never goes wrong, until fighting starts, by assuming the other people with whom one is dealing are not malign in their hearts.

I think we see at least a part of their attempts to reach out and acknowledge our cultural concerns in the "exhausted all options" phrase. That phrase is practically an admission of failure, something which would harm their own kibun, but is an attempt to recognize Western value placed on "never give up until it's over." They may or may not realize that the white lie that they've tried everything is actually even more insulting for its transparency; certainly, they likely do not recognize it on a visceral level, the same level that would make us shy away from saying such a thing in their position for the sheer gall it would seem to us to require.

It may be that we need to acknowledge that we hear them when they say they have tried everything, and not call them liars but instead accept that they are trying to preserve our feelings, our kibun. We then need to show them that it has had the opposite effect, but do so while showing that we do, in fact, respect theirs. If they are not insulting us deliberately, then deliberate insult (contrary to some of my other more scathing suggestions) is not the right way to respond.

Above all else, I think we may benefit most by demonstrating that our kibun is best preserved by the salvation and continued existence of CoH. That we value theirs, as well, and that we want to bolster theirs as strongly as possible if they will preserve ours in this fashion. That our ears are open to their needs, our nunchi is strained as hard as we can, and that we're begging for some quiet hints where none need see them as to what we're missing, because we are Westerners who do not have that skill as good as theirs. The best way for them to help us preserve kibun is to offer an aid to our nunchi so that we can, in turn, strive to better act as if we had it and thus preserve their honor/face/kibun.