Author Topic: Has anyone else gotten this?  (Read 4743 times)

jensen010

• Underling
Has anyone else gotten this?
« on: September 29, 2012, 09:12:37 PM »

Zolgar

• Grand Poobah of Plan Z
  • Boss
Re: Has anyone else gotten this?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 09:14:55 PM »
It's probably being set out so that those who haven't played in a while and don't follow the news get 'officially informed'. Shouldn't mean anything special, we already knew that NCSoft was shutting it down on the 30th of November.

Prexx

• Underling
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 10:27:07 PM »
I got it as well.  I don't think it as anything to do with inactive players because I have been playing.  I also wouldn't read too much into it.  Maybe they just realized that an email hasn't been sent out about it and they are just trying to cover their bases.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 10:39:38 PM »
Yes I got it as well. I believe its going out to all VIP.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 11:35:16 PM »
Yes I got it as well. I believe its going out to all VIP.

I also got one of these sent to an email address used for a free account. It was basically the same, except the title was "Dear City of Heroes player" rather than VIP player, and it didn't have the first paragraph about being with them every step of the way.

The rest of the message was the same.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 12:09:07 AM »
I also got one of these sent to an email address used for a free account. It was basically the same, except the title was "Dear City of Heroes player" rather than VIP player, and it didn't have the first paragraph about being with them every step of the way.

The rest of the message was the same.
I got this on my preemie account email but it had the VIP blurb in it. lulz

I didn't get it on my VIP account email or my freebie account email.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 01:52:11 AM »
Have not got one.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 02:02:47 AM »
I have received ONE. Now the reason I said ONE is because I have 3 accounts and only one of those has received this notice....my account that was active (VIP) at the time of the announcement. Normally when new Issues come up or other announcements are emailed I receive three emails; usually the same day. So maybe they are only emailing people who were current VIPs on 8/31/2012??

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 02:08:17 AM »
I have not gotten one, and I am full VIP for the next three years.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Optimus Dex

• Boss
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 02:08:51 AM »
I have seen nothing from Nc Soft in my email and I have two accounts . Then again most times I got notifications of events  right after they ended.

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 02:45:58 AM »
I got it, but without the "Dear VIP player" intro.  My boyfriend got that version.  He got it two days ago... and he's not VIP >.>

Fireheart

• Boss
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 03:04:28 AM »
I got one of these - I renewed my two VIP subscriptions, literally, the night before Black Friday.

Be Well!
Fireheart

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2012, 03:59:36 AM »
So maybe they are only emailing people who were current VIPs on 8/31/2012??
Definitely not.

My premium account - meaning, not VIP - got one.

My VIP account - meaning, subbed on 8/31 - did not get one.

(My free account did not get one either.)
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
  • is there a badge for that?
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2012, 04:41:40 AM »
i usually only get those emails when i actually start up the game for some reason lol

Knightward

• Minion
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2012, 04:43:33 AM »
I'm still VIP and I haven't gotten that email yet.

Zolgar

• Grand Poobah of Plan Z
  • Boss
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2012, 06:02:58 AM »
Odds are every account will get one, they're just sending them out in blocks. What kind of blocks? who knows.

The White Rager

• Lieutenant
    • The Wordpile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2012, 06:27:32 AM »
I hate to say it, but I don't think this is just a new notification of old news. Note the references to in-game closing events - this sounds almost like a 're-set' of the closing the way everyone thought it should be done. I'm honestly a bit worried this means they really lost the bargain. Maybe someone can get a quick confirmation that discussions are still ongoing? That much they should still be able to tell us.

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2012, 06:29:57 AM »
...one little vaguely termed email and our will buckles?

* DrakeGrimm snorts.

STAND TALL, HEROES!
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2012, 07:30:32 AM »
As someone mentioned, it's probably just going out in blocks. When I send out my list serv, I send about 1000 per hour so that my domain doesn't flagged as a spammer by Hotmail, Google, yahoo!, etc.

You can send much faster, but you have to use paid service for that (probably what they used in the past).
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2012, 09:23:22 AM »

Meh I didn't take it to mean anything actually. I looked at it as more of an announcement for those who do not frequent the website/forums/etc.

I am actually more hopeful lately after reading ThorsAssassin's blog about the community dinner.

* DrakeGrimm snorts.

STAND TALL, HEROES!

jensen010

• Underling
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2012, 09:41:56 AM »

* DrakeGrimm snorts.

STAND TALL, HEROES!

Well, i didnt say that  :)

i just thought it was kind of weird, but then again the handling of this whole thing is weird so my overall reaction is.....

meh

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2012, 02:08:13 PM »
I hate to say it, but I don't think this is just a new notification of old news. Note the references to in-game closing events - this sounds almost like a 're-set' of the closing the way everyone thought it should be done. I'm honestly a bit worried this means they really lost the bargain. Maybe someone can get a quick confirmation that discussions are still ongoing? That much they should still be able to tell us.
No, this has to happen even if City is saved. NCsoft isn't going to continue this product. They have to shut down their servers, they have to close their version of the game. Period. This is just an email saying as much. It doesn't contain any new news. Hit Streak posted the closure events several days ago on the forums (and I think the main website).

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Olantern

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2012, 04:08:37 PM »
Further, I believe the text is exactly the same as the initial closing announcement posted back on August 31, 2012.  This isn't anything new, in any sense.

I haven't gotten the e-mail.  I never get e-mails about anything CoH-related except for things like "you submitted a Help request" and "you applied a code to your account."  I haven't for over three years now, and I have no idea why.  I've checked all the settings on all the websites that control this sort of thing, too.  I know I'm not the only one like this.

tl; dr: Don't read anything in particular into this.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2012, 05:11:46 PM »
Olantern, I never get anything more than what you get, but I also got this, yesterday. I think that may lend some credence to the "blocks" theory.

As to the type of blocks, I'm going to go with LEGO. I hate LEGOs, because I always ever seem to find them in the dark with the bottom of my feet.  :D
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

ohms

• Boss
    • OV website
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2012, 05:54:09 PM »
I have yet to receive this email too. The last communication I had from NCSoft regarding CoH was for the launch of Nature Affinity on 22nd August (with the exception of some costume codes notifications).

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2012, 10:19:11 PM »
The only subtext to read from this is that it took that long for the NCSoft PR department to dress up the text in a pretty email to send out.

Which, frankly, is not too surprising given what we've seen out of them before.

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2012, 12:24:49 PM »
I haven't had it yet, either. Come to think of it, I /never/ get any emails about COH. *shakes fist*
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

Timelord Tom

• RIP Timlord
  • Lieutenant
    • Paragon Radio Gallifrey
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2012, 12:40:05 PM »
My SECONDARY account got the e-mail, still waiting on it on my primary.

So not happy, I forwarded it to all the e-mail addresses that I have for NCSoft with a nice little response... OK, maybe not so nice.

voodoogirl

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2012, 01:54:50 PM »
I received it. My coworkers will distinctly remember me hissing at my phone the moment I got it.