Author Topic: Call To Action: The Community Media Project  (Read 22981 times)

Chaos Ex Machina

• Lieutenant
Call To Action: The Community Media Project
« on: October 02, 2012, 07:25:33 AM »
http://bit.ly/VUiFOn

CATALOG OF CONTENT AND A LIST OF WHO COLLECTED IT

PLEASE REFER TO THE CATALOG AND VOLUNTEER TO COLLECT SPECIFIC CONTENT

Purpose:

Collecting the screenshots and videos and demorecords by the community, as large a set we can, to preserve a lot of the city in media AND show non players why this effort exists.

http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,5387.msg55554.html#msg55554

Please see the link to learn why this is a big deal.  The developers have a number of options, and a significant set of those who 'could help,' probably investors, may not understand.

Implementation:

This can be a web site to collect the bulk of screenshots, videos, and demorecords the community can make.  In particular the site can host representations of why players are fighting, and content.

Motivational:

While we could want a whole screenshots directory of any pictures you have, the short term job is getting media to demonstrate why this is important to you.  It should be a way to let investors and interested parties get a sense of the innovative or unique capabilities of the community or the game.  Perhaps particularly interesting costumes or a costume contest or great content.  Demonstrating assets is important so the best costumes, bases, or content should be included.  Social events can help.  Try to think like a new audience and impress the audience.

Content:

Another aspect of the project is a campaign to get demorecords of the majority of content in the entire game.  The video would let a person obtain not just a chat log of the content at the wiki but actually watch it and if a script can be set up, participate.  The format is versatile and potentially could make it possible to put an arbitrary hero in the content!  However it requires a lot of people.

Directions:

Media is actually easy in the game.  You do not need a ton of video experience, just commands.

Taking screens requires only the print screen button, but do remember a few requirements.  You should make use of the /screenshotui 1 or /screenshotui 0 commands to designate if the user interface is included with the screen.  Try to use a screen type TGA in the options window to capture accurate screens, if you have a ton of drive space to accomodate a large format.

Demorecording is surprisingly easy if you know how to navigate to the install directory.  If you type a small command, /demorecord x, you should find the x file in the 'client_demos' directory.  However you should use a descriptive name so the videos are easy to navigate.  Personally I use a scheme involving identification of the content... 'npcname-mission-character' is a good example.  So special events can be 'defendersuperteam..'  Then we can link a paragon wiki article to actual video of the subject.

To create videos use a program such as the popular Fraps.  An expert could assist if you have trouble getting it.  You would use this to add a motivational video to youtube.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 01:07:47 PM by Chaos Ex Machina »

Chaos Ex Machina

• Lieutenant
Re: Call To Action: The Community Media Project
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 02:56:15 AM »
Regarding the letter from an opposing company, the content aspect of the project takes on a bigger importance.

Please contribute by obtaining a demorecord of any content you could.  I suggest we should set up a rotation of people claiming specific content.

I am currently getting a lot of the medium level original hero missions and random other content.

Quinch

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 05:38:08 AM »
Okay, since the demorecord_auto command isn't live and apparently won't be until I24 comes out, I put together a quick-and-dirty script to automatically rename demofiles into unique names. The script should be at http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33551029/TempDemoToTime.exe . Also, I'll probably put up a slightly less inconvenient version later today.

I say "should be" because I got sidetracked with NCsoft's response and had to flee to work before I could post it here. As always, exercise internet caution and virus-check it {I'm pretty sure my computer's not infected, but better safe than sorry}.

The use is simple enough, I think - put it into your City of Heroes client_demos folder and run it. Then, create a macro using /macro Record "demorecord temp". And that's it. It will run and automatically rename any recorded demo named "Temp" into an unique date-and-time filename.

{actual C# code}
Code: [Select]
using System;
using System.IO;
using System.Threading;

namespace DemoRename
{
    class Program
    {
        static void Main(string[] args)
        {
            while (true)
            {
                try
                {
                    File.Move(Directory.GetCurrentDirectory() + @"\temp.cohdemo", Directory.GetCurrentDirectory() + "\\" + DateTime.Now.ToString("yyyy.MM.dd hh.mm.ss") + ".cohdemo");

}
                catch
                {
                    Thread.Sleep(1000);
                }
            }
        }
    }
}

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 05:15:59 AM »
Okay, since the demorecord_auto command isn't live and apparently won't be until I24 comes out, I put together a quick-and-dirty script to automatically rename demofiles into unique names.

It is live on Beta, though - I have it bound to a key, and /demostop to another. And since Beta has cool I24 stuff, it is probably worth recording things there too (and it's working just fine, you can transfer characters over: http://boards.cityofheroes.com/charactercopy.php?do=listCharacters&server=Pinnacle)
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Quinch

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 05:46:43 AM »
I put together a quick-and-dirty program for anyone who wants to do a lot of demo recording that creates unique filenames for every demo you record. You can download it from here.

It's as simple to use as I could make it. Simply run the "DemoTimestamper.exe" file and it will watch for any demos you record and add a timestamp as soon as they're over. So for example, "MyDemo.cohdemo" will turn into something like "MyDemo 2012-10-06 07.42.57.cohdemo" instead.

In the game, you can simply make a macro to record demos by typing in. For example, /macro "Demo" demorecord MyDemo will create a button to start recording a demo named "MyDemo".

And that's it. I included the source code in the .zip file in case anyone wants to mess around with it, and if you hit any problems, let me know and see what I can do. Happy filming, folks!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 08:48:56 AM by Quinch »

Mantic

• Boss
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 11:17:10 AM »
Really helpful app, Quinch! Cheers!!!

Another purpose for recording as much content as possible with demorecord is related to emulation efforts. So far as I can tell, things like AI placement are handled on the server, so a person can't just crack open a mission file from the client piggs and determine how every mission in the game set up. A thorough demorecording of a mission, in which players don't take shortcuts and all enemy spawns are triggered, would provide information critical to recreating that mission as accurately as possible.

Without any sneaky fingers on the inside, this is likely the only way such mission content can be reverse engineered.

*Oh, and I think is an important enough initiative that it should be stickied.

voodoogirl

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 12:33:37 PM »
I've been demorecording every mission/tf/iTrial/AP33 on every character the last month. I discovered on my old harddrive I have demos from 2005.

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 12:39:01 PM »
On the Media Day, this might be a good effort to showcase, as well. Maybe even borrow one or two demorecorders who have practice at this to serve as cameramen. We hopefully will have some TV reporters amongst our guests; they might get a kick out of being shown some emotes that will let them make their avatars gesture as if they were doing a "on site" report in a few impressive locations.

Dr Shadow

• Lieutenant
  • Dr Shadow Champion server/ @Leila_L twitter
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 12:15:41 AM »
My son made one :) He wanted to rally the troops.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAKfNqt5J2o&feature=youtu.be
Dr Shadow- Champion Server @Leila_L twitter

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2012, 02:41:19 AM »
Lila, a big thumbs up to your caring, creative son! A mom must be very proud... ;D
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

eeek

• Underling
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 02:43:30 AM »
Your son is all heart - that video made me tear up. 

Big thank you to him!

Teege

• Boss
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2012, 02:54:20 AM »
Very cool! Let him know that he is a hero!
Keep fighting the good fight!

@Teege - Virtue

www.cohtitan.com

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2012, 06:15:58 AM »
...friggin' onions...and ninjas...and.... *sniffle*
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2012, 08:25:34 AM »
What a little warrior he is!
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2012, 05:34:19 PM »
I know what I'll be doing this week...

Shocker of shocks, my controller and mastermind AT's unlocked on me as did AE after the last maintenance.... I was in total shock!

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2012, 05:39:50 PM »
My son made one :) He wanted to rally the troops.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAKfNqt5J2o&feature=youtu.be

I especially love this one, as my toons are in it :D
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2012, 08:37:51 AM »
I have screenies going back years, and I am making demorecords of my favorite avatars as souvenirs.  Just tell me where you want me to load them up and copies are yours.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Chaos Ex Machina

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2012, 10:41:47 PM »
Please get involved.  I am writing a catalog of content to organize the project and an applicant can just add a claim to a particular content.  With enough people the project should get a majority.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 11:15:48 PM by Chaos Ex Machina »

Chaos Ex Machina

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2012, 11:30:23 PM »
The 'Standard' Arcs

The gigantic task set a player can obtain from the randomized, relatively generic people.

These are reasonably well documented by the wiki but a lot of the enemy speech is not included.  I am collecting some of these but the amount is absolutely ridiculous and requires multiple people.

The 'Fancy' Arcs

Issue 17+ arcs include a ton of additional extras and should definitely be considered high priority, especially any not documented at the wiki.

Matthew Habashy
Officer Fields
Sondra Costel
Aaron Thiery
Keith Nance
Jenni Adair
Roy Cooling

The Continuing Story Arcs

Hollows
Faultine
Striga
Croatoa

Papers And Radio

A collection of the entire radio or newspaper system is impractical, but we could use a lot of aspects it has.  I expect a lot of people will do these as double XP arrives.

Special objectives like the locations that get a unique map: the jewelry store, the freak mechanic store, etc.
Dialog boxes when you enter a map.

However we could use a lot of the safeguard or mayhem system.  Every map and objective is potentially desired.

Trials and TFs

Obviously these are a priority.  Some may be a lot easier to create from documentation than the others.

Tips

Definitely a top priority these are documented very little and include a ton of extras.  Remember we could use either choice of a tip, and rogues or vigilantes get custom tips in the opposite city!  These are particularly not documented much and should be considered an extra high priority.

http://wiki.cohtitan.com/wiki/Tip
http://wiki.cohtitan.com/wiki/Alignment_Mission
http://wiki.cohtitan.com/wiki/Morality_Mission

Events

Invasions

Villain Standard Arcs

Note any.

Villain Fancy Arcs

Dean MacArthur
Leonard
Vincent Ross

Other

Cathedral
Personal stories

Chaos Ex Machina

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2012, 09:19:29 PM »
I received a confirmation about Night Ward recorded.  Thank you!

Due to the lack of volunteers I am thinking this is too daunting a list.  Instead perhaps I should ask if specific content could be recorded.  Would you record a specific arc if I put priority arcs in a list?

Considering we are having a double XP event let me emphasize TIPS.  Can a volunteer please record any possible tip?