Author Topic: Status Update (October 2)  (Read 97593 times)

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
Status Update (October 2)
« on: October 02, 2012, 10:47:34 PM »
So if you haven't seen it already, NCsoft has officially communicated on the SaveCoH effort, saying that they feel that all efforts have been exhausted in selling City of Heroes.  I wanted to post a short message acknowledging that I did see it, and to share my thoughts about it.

While this isn't an ideal situation, I cannot emphasize this enough: This is not a horrible thing.  As far as I'm concerned, the only bad outcome of our efforts would be if everyone gives up on our efforts to save City of Heroes.  We've known all along that this is a possibility (our first clue was on August 31 when they said, "We're shutting everything down..."), and it's one we've been preparing for.  So seriously, don't panic, and any doom-crying is still grossly premature.

In a way, this actually helps us.  Until now, we've been holding out hope that the negotiations between Paragon Studios and NCsoft would come through and make any further activities unneeded.  As long as we were proceeding from that assumption, we've been trying to be very careful to not undermine those negotiations.  At this point, I don't think that any negotiations are taking place any longer, which frees us up quite a bit more in pursuing alternatives such as reverse engineering and developing a new game.

Believe it or not, I'm still hopeful that NCsoft at some point realizes that this is not the way to go.  They might shut down the servers on November 30, but you never know what management changes in the future might bring about.  Having worked in the corporate world and been involved in the IT industry in some capacity for over two decades, I've learned that situations do change and you should never, ever say never.  I'm also going to try to drum up some press around not just the City of Heroes community, but the issue at large of a game like this shutting down, the impact it has on its community, and what ethical responsibilities (if any) companies have to do what they can to not destroy communities like ours because of a business decision when there options available like we have.

Still, at this point, at least for now, I think that our efforts should be fully focused on reverse engineering the game servers (which they are).  I also highly suggest that you use the Sentinel+ Extractor character export tool to export your characters.  Even if those data files aren't used directly by CoH-derived servers, I'm sure we'll figure out some use for them at some point in the future.  And of course, we still have an active contingent of people looking to develop an entirely new game to follow in City of Heroes' footsteps.  I'm also definitely going to keep my ear to the Paragon Studios rail to find out what their intentions are going forward; regardless of the ultimate fate of City of Heroes, I feel like they've proven that they can develop and run a successful game, and we might have some unique opportunities due to our long history as a community supporting their endeavors to be a part of that development process if they decide to take on another poject.  (No, not in the sense of being on the board of directors, but in offering feedback on what we liked about City of Heroes, what we didn't care for so much, and things we'd like to see.)

And speaking of community, no matter what happens, I fully intend to keep the Titan Network up and active for players to continue interacting and discuss our efforts.  So please stay tuned, you're not going to want to miss out on any good stuff.  :)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 09:55:34 PM by TonyV »

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
Re: Status Update (October 2)
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 10:49:28 PM »
if you are like me and do not have all of your toons unlocked, you can transfer them to the test and beta servers for saving through Sentinel.

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 10:53:35 PM »
Thanks for the swift update, Tony!

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 10:57:15 PM »
This fight ain't over yet, kids. Strap on your Big Boy/Big Girl Pants, your Stompin' Boots, and let's get to it.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Teege

• Boss
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 10:59:44 PM »
Thanks for the reply Tony.
Keep fighting the good fight!

@Teege - Virtue

www.cohtitan.com

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 11:01:54 PM »
Thanks for the update, TonyV; I'm still holding out for more information (though you'll likely hear before I, thanks to your closer proximity to that proverbial rail with Paragon Studios).

Please let me know if there's aught I can do going forward. And if you've got any input on timing for the Media Day event while you start looking into drumming up more media support, please comment in the relevant thread! I'm enthused by the support I'm getting from Titan Forumites; I want to close the loop on it from the media side at least as strongly!

Gilliam

• Minion
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 11:05:39 PM »
Just read ncsoft statement and it put me in the dumps but reading your post has pick me up a bit thanks Tony
"Call it extreme if you like, but I propose we hit it hard and hit it fast with a major - and I mean major - leaflet campaign."

MishaFox

• Minion
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 11:11:16 PM »
thanks for the fast update. This really is depressing but I do have hope. I still feel that CoX will be save. Somehow.

Knightward

• Minion
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 11:15:49 PM »
Must be pretty easy to say they've exhausted all options when the talks and investors have had to be so secretive all along.  Regardless, thanks for the update Tony!

sass

• Underling
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 11:17:23 PM »
OK so it doesn't work this way - there are other ways.

Someone needs to go to Korea and have a conversation with them.  Either that or we all go and sit outside NC Soft hq.

There are ALWAYS other options .. it's NEVER an issue of 'exhausted ALL options' .. it's ALWAYS  an issue of "we've done what we're willing to do" .

I resent organisations that imply that there isn't more to do .. it's the ******** 21st Century!!

Of  course more can be done - it's not a matter of capability, it's a matter of WILL!  Apparently they don't have the will or the motivation to make it work, and that's their prerogative. I just wish companies and corporations would grab themselves by the requisite paraphernalia and make statements that actually come from their most authentic motivations.

"We had fun, we made money, we don't care enough to take this further, k thx bai!!"    and that's their right to say that, not smudge it over with silly PR speak.  Pffft!   
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 11:22:47 PM by sass »

EClark

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 11:17:34 PM »
Just one thing to say to all of this

Army Mule Mode: ACTIVATE!!

I ain't givin' up. How about the rest of you?

Caliburst

• Underling
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 11:18:01 PM »
Thank you Tony for the update and being a voice of reason while keeping our spirits up.

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2012, 11:23:50 PM »
reverse engineering the game servers

What's the exact legal status on that? Like how secret would we have to be to use them?
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2012, 11:28:21 PM »
Do we have confirmation of this from anyone on "our side?"

And if negotiations have indeed ended, would that mean the Paragon remnant can actually tell us a simple "Yes" or "No?"

And, you don't see any way this might be bogus?

Jetfire99

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2012, 11:29:22 PM »
I'm not giving up, how could I? If there was an online community worth fighting for? It's this one just by everything we done so far and will keep doing. Don't drink the NCSOFT-aid people don't give in and lose all hope. We need to keep going and well there's always trials like this in life.  Also Tony's right don't give up. I'll keep going I have to keep going if only for the sake of my SG's members who are heart broken at the game's impending doom. For that tiny chance we could turn it around, that's why I can't give up.

ObsidianPhoenix76

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2012, 11:30:54 PM »
Well...  Typical corporate BS.

*cracks knuckles*

Let's get to it. 

Tony, I know to stay polite, and when we are ready to turn the heat up while staying heroic and true,  my heavy duty blowtorch is at your command.

I will NOT give up.  I will NOT lay down.  I will NOT let my second home go away without one HELL OF A FIGHT.

Remember, there is ALWAYS a Sunrise after a Sunset, no matter HOW LONG IT TAKES!!

My torches will be held high no matter how long it takes.

Phoenix

EDIT:  P.S.  Crystallum is NOT pleased.  She will take the fight to them...
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 01:08:57 AM by ObsidianPhoenix76 »

Unknown_User

• Underling
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2012, 11:35:33 PM »
Thanks for the update Tony, I'll still keep playing and doing what I can to save this game.  As others posted, what are the odds of rounding up the Paragon studios dev team and having them start a new studio? Is it possible to do a kickstarter for something like that?

Luna Eclypse

• New Efforts # 9,000!
  • Boss
  • Follow my on Twitter @LunaEclypse
    • Luna Eclypse on VirtueVerse
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2012, 11:39:28 PM »
Can I start lambasting NCsoft at full speed yet? I don't know how much longer I can hold all this anger in.
"The Remarkable Dazzling"
Luna Eclypse

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2012, 11:40:45 PM »
Can I start lambasting NCsoft at full speed yet? I don't know how much longer I can hold all this anger in.

Calm. Tranquility. The time to lash out and use our rage is not yet at hand. Strike aggressively too soon, and we concede victory.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2012, 11:45:00 PM »
Calm. Tranquility. The time to lash out and use our rage is not yet at hand. Strike aggressively too soon, and we concede victory.

I think it's about time they start feeling the sting though. And really, that isn't just about the game. It's about a much bigger picture. It affects the whole world. Some people have been trying to convey this message for years, maybe decades. But it's a very serious issue that has gotten way out of control, and something desperately needs to be done about it.