Author Topic: "...a realignment of company focus"  (Read 159381 times)

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
Re: "...a realignment of company focus"
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2012, 02:24:35 AM »
I just watched some game footage...

WTF, they animated boob jiggling?!?!?

SithRose

• Plan Z: Lore Lead
  • Elite Boss
  • The Phoenix is coming.
    • Missing Worlds Media - Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2012, 02:26:45 AM »

...You've obviously never seen a WOW Forsaken female character....

Or a Night Elf doing the Mailbox Dance.

(Yes, undead females have jiggling...well...more like flopping, boobs.)
Lore Lead for Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
Secretary of Missing Worlds Media, Inc.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2012, 02:54:03 AM »

Heh, realistic 'jiggling' have been a Big Deal(TM) in videogames since the Dead or Alive team wrote a a dedicated breast physics engine for their game series. Apparently the latest installment is costume specific.

Yes, this is the world we live in...

Moonfyire101

• Elite Boss
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2012, 03:08:45 AM »
True indeed, both red and blue side you have cults and the potential for female characters to wear skimpy togs. You also have Mayhem missions redside, robbing banks etc etc. But blueside you have Old Glory (as I believe them yankee types call their flag ;) ) flying atop of Paragon City Hall and endless stories of sacrifice and heroism in the fight against evil - including the game's iconic representation of American heroes, Statesman himself.

But when you compare CoH to a great many "goddamn video games that corrupt kids!" like the GTA series, you see comicbook differences - cars never knock anyone down for instance, and heroes never kill anyone, they "defeat" them or "arrest" them, and the bad guys always return by the next issue. Anyone who culturally sneers at CoH is also sneering at all comicbook heroes, from Superman through to Captain America.

And while it's true that women have had a...chequered history in comicbooks (e.g. Wonder Woman with her whip and penchant for being tied up all the time), there's simply no comparison between western comicbooks and the near-grotesque objectification of women typically seen in Korean games like Blade and Soul.

Yes, there's no absolute way to determine how any given media entity will choose to spin a story, but in the modern fast paced world of hi-tech, a picture does indeed speak a thousand words, and superficial visual processing is the order of the day.

CoH has Heroes and it has  Villains, but the heroes do always win the day, and the villains do always say "Curse you, I'll be back!". It's oldschool, it's traditional...and it doesn't feature bizarrely sexualised children wandering around giggling and flashing their panties.

There is a risk that contasting the one against the other might not work - but the graphics do rather speak quite loudly I'd say.

Great points, i agree the it's a good risk and your right about graphics speaking louder then words.

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2012, 03:44:47 AM »
Wow....just....wow.

Yes, I am ALL for putting this spin on it.  In fact, I am ALL for sending press releases to that effect directly to news outlets (anyone can send a press release on anything, you know).

Are you sure the name of this game is Blood and Soul and not Boobs and Sluts?
Should I try to include that as part of the Media Day press release? (Shameless plug: I'm looking for advice on how to improve said release/invitation, which has recently had its latest draft posted in the "Word Spreading Event: Media Day" thread.)

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2012, 03:46:44 AM »
btw Seg,  I borrowed the pictures for my blog

I hope you don't mind :D http://littledinobug.blogspot.ca/2012/10/breasts-and-camels.html
I don't mind, but I didn't make them, so... ^^;

They ARE quite clever, though, and I applaud their creator.

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2012, 03:54:02 AM »
As someone known from complaining about the increase of cheesecake fanservice in CoH (Hi, Mother Mayhem revamp), B&S is far, far above and beyond anything in CoH. CoH has a large female fanbase, games like B&S, with their clear catering to the straight male gaze, are very much -not- intended for female players. A feminist angle, although probably not a Fox News one ;), would be how NCSoft's "realignment" is a shift away from a girl gamer friendly game to a girls-are-objects game.
Fox News would be more likely to go the "degradation of morals" and the OP's blunt point route, but they DO consider such things as "girl gamer" and "girls-are-objects." Seriously, conservatives do not hate women:-\ I mean, it's kind of offensive that you think we do.  This isn't the forum to argue this out, but girls and boys are both people, and the biggest things conservatives value are life and liberty.

Add in that the morality to which conservatives adhere tends to include protecting women from being objectified (note that this is not "dress them in burqhas" ... and I can't spell that word ... but rather "don't make it all about their sexual characteristics"), and we're really on the same page as the OP on this one.

Sorry about the mini-rant; I just get very tired of being told "Oh, no, not you, just all the REST of your kind" when I object to the rather disgusting stereotype. ^^;

downix

• Elite Boss
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2012, 04:06:11 AM »
Fox News would be more likely to go the "degradation of morals" and the OP's blunt point route, but they DO consider such things as "girl gamer" and "girls-are-objects." Seriously, conservatives do not hate women:-\ I mean, it's kind of offensive that you think we do.  This isn't the forum to argue this out, but girls and boys are both people, and the biggest things conservatives value are life and liberty.

Add in that the morality to which conservatives adhere tends to include protecting women from being objectified (note that this is not "dress them in burqhas" ... and I can't spell that word ... but rather "don't make it all about their sexual characteristics"), and we're really on the same page as the OP on this one.

Sorry about the mini-rant; I just get very tired of being told "Oh, no, not you, just all the REST of your kind" when I object to the rather disgusting stereotype. ^^;
Well, a helpful word of advise, if you catch someone who calls themselves a conservative doing that, call them out on it. Simple as that.

I'm on the other end of the political spectrum, I even work for a left-wing political blog. And if I catch someone on my side being a jerk, I chew them out over it, many times publically. Silence means acceptance. This is why it seems to many on the outside that liberals are so quick to turn on each other, because we hold ourselves up to a higher standard. If you don't want to be painted with a broad brush, you need to do the same.

That goes for this effort too, we're better than NCSoft, we're better than this TnA game they want to push on us. Never degrade ourselves by dropping to that level of standard.

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2012, 04:11:12 AM »
Oh, beleive me, I do. Thing is...I don't often see it. That's why the stereotype offends me so much; it's declared casually and even with a "ho ho they're so horrible it's funny" attitude as if it's a majority-held view, when in reality, it's a straw man. I don't mean even in the logical fallacy sense. I mean it is a charicature of something that conservatives just don't believe, don't feel, and don't act like.

CAN you find some conservatives who believe or act like some of that? Sure, just like you can find liberals who believe some part of it. But just because it was a lefty nut that shot up the batman movie this summer doesn't mean all liberals are gun-toting maniacs. The guy was deeply disturbed, and the fact he shared views with many others doesn't make those many others represented by him and his actions.

In short: It's offensive because it's the "You're a credit to your race" stereotype that assumes any example that doesn't match the highly offensive stereotype is an exception. No matter how many "exceptions" one finds.

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2012, 04:15:15 AM »
...bleh. Sorry. Let's stop derailing this thread. All I ask is a little less liable aimed at Fox News's audience when we can use all the media aid we can get.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2012, 04:21:41 AM »
Should I try to include that as part of the Media Day press release? (Shameless plug: I'm looking for advice on how to improve said release/invitation, which has recently had its latest draft posted in the "Word Spreading Event: Media Day" thread.)

I would say that you should.  So far as ammunition goes (and remember that most modern journalists are lazy and like having something they can run with handed to them) this is powerful stuff and the imagery speaks for itself.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

downix

• Elite Boss
« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2012, 04:21:49 AM »
Small note, the Colorado shooter was a self-admitted centrist, and reading what material he posted I believe him.

But yes, let us keep on topic. I am figuring out an angle to see if I can get an approval from my boss. She aok'd my World of Warcraft article earlier today, (an attack on a woman running for office, claiming she had a double life for having a level 68 Rogue....) so is wary of yet another game article.

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2012, 04:25:27 AM »
I would say that you should.  So far as ammunition goes (and remember that most modern journalists are lazy and like having something they can run with handed to them) this is powerful stuff and the imagery speaks for itself.
I'm off to bed now. Pressure front and too late a night last night combining to make me unable to focus now.

THoughts on the press release as written are appreciated; I'll see if I can't incorporate the images and some information on their relevance tomorrow morning. Might not be 'til Sunday, though, depending how early I get up.

...might also be fruitful to make it two distinct releases, and send out the images one from this thread a couple hours before the invitation one. Whet the appetite with a "juicy story" that they'd need to do some investigation to get more details about, and then offer them the avenue for "more details" on the wholesome thing the salacious thing is replacing.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2012, 04:26:26 AM »
Small note, the Colorado shooter was a self-admitted centrist, and reading what material he posted I believe him.

But yes, let us keep on topic. I am figuring out an angle to see if I can get an approval from my boss. She aok'd my World of Warcraft article earlier today, (an attack on a woman running for office, claiming she had a double life for having a level 68 Rogue....) so is wary of yet another game article.

The first one was politics.

CoH is alternately good for the Business section or the Human Interest section.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Hydrith

• Underling
« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2012, 04:40:47 AM »

I guess you never played Lineage 2 (another NCSoft Fantasy/Grinding/Boring debacle).  The Dark Elf women ran forward hunched over, with their breasts hanging towards the ground, shaking like held water balloons the whole way.  And that game is almost as old as City of Heroes (came out within a few months of our dearly beloved game).

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2012, 04:42:31 AM »
the Dead or Alive team wrote a a dedicated breast physics engine

I feel I should <facepalm> for my entire gender just reading this...
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2012, 10:21:58 AM »
>Industry artist fail: Hyung Tae Kim (so VERY VERY nsfw!)

The thing is, in a field where artists are known for exaggerating and distorting the female form, he is known for being at the extreme end of that scale, and NCSoft hired him specifically for that style.

Anyway, all that aside, the purpose here really is about the timing of B&S's western launch announcement. It's just convenient for us that the artwork in Blade and Soul suits our purpose as a contrast with the "heroic" western visual theme of of CoH.
Yeah, that's probably a good idea, it just seemed that some were personally offended by the game itself.
And from what I understand, they chose the artist because he's extremely popular in Korea (their home market, and market of choice judging by what a lot of people said).

*looks at Blade and Soul pictures*

... I'll be in my bunk...

It may be evil.. but is is sexy evil.

+1 points for the Firefly reference!  ;D

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2012, 10:39:44 AM »
But plenty of other games from Japan and elsewhere have done the "Martial Arts and Eastern Magic" thing. Some of them have been brought to the west successfully but that's mostly been in the form of games like Suikoden and what's commonly called the "JRPG" genre.
Gawd, I loved that game.
I took great joy in watching my castle grow as I collected my "stars".  ;D
On the whole Eastern Martial Arts fighting thing - I do believe they have specifically said they are aiming for the fighting style used in Crouching tiger Hidden dragon, House of Flying Daggers, Hero, etc... the over the top, leaping across mountains and fighting among the treetops kind of martial arts - though I'm guessing it'll be more about the lightning fast kicks and punches, and similar blocks.
Quite different from Streetfighter and other beat'em ups - my guess would be that the Dynasty Warriors series would be a better fit if you're looking for a game to compare it to, or even Jade Empire.

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2012, 12:59:38 PM »
*ponders how, while maintaining a news-y tone, to work in the line "replacing your kids' comic books with a subscription to Playboy."*

pandora114

• Lieutenant
« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2012, 01:21:48 PM »
*ponders how, while maintaining a news-y tone, to work in the line "replacing your kids' comic books with a subscription to Playboy."*

How about

"Replacing your Kids Captain America Sub with a sub to a Hentai mag"  Because that's what it is. ;) 

Then you go on describing what Hentai is...since everyone knows Good ol Cap! *Patriotism spin!*  And then ask if that's what they want their kids exposed to. 

Fight the bad guys and win the day? or... Bouncy bouncy bouncy tatas.