Author Topic: A disturbing trend  (Read 12593 times)

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
A disturbing trend
« on: October 07, 2012, 03:37:35 PM »
I have been noticing that we are beginning to lose cohesiveness.  I had all sorts of ways I wanted to express this, but directly seems to be the best.  We haven't really turned on each other in any meaningful way, but I have seen that our patience, as a group, for dissenting opinions is getting shorter, and the level of politeness with which the dissent is responded to is inversely proportional to the number of posts the offender has here.

I am not going to point fingers.  I am not going to name names.  That is not the point.  You don't have to look far to find an example, if you want one.  It's been six weeks, if I'm counting correctly.  We knew this was not going to be easy, and we knew it was not going to be quick.  We also want to add to our numbers, and if we're casting suspicion on anyone new who is expressing doubt or caution, we run the risk of not only scaring away any lurkers who were on the fence about joining in, we may sour things for some existing members.

I believe in this.  I believe that, as a community, we can make something happen, even if it's Plan Z. I don't agree with everything people say here, and I might actually point it out. It doesn't mean I think you are doing it wrong or shouldn't be here. It's a dialogue, not an indictment. I might even disagree with a dev, or someone with a Titan tag, even Tony. Even <gasp> VV. 

If that's going to be a problem, then we're going to have to find a way past it, because I'm not going anywhere, and I hope you don't, either.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
Re: A disturbing trend
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 03:40:18 PM »
yea I agree.

You put 10 people in a room and ask them about an opinion on something, at least one will have a different perspective.

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 03:43:30 PM »
I think there are two things we should take home from dwturducken's good observation and timely warning, here:

1) Do not assume anybody has malicious intent when they contribute ANY observation, thought, feeling, or whatever to these boards. If you feel their statements are unhelpful, express it in a supportive way and try to point them to ways they can help.

2) If somebody comes in with acrimony, do your best NOT to respond in kind. Point out why their acrimony is destructive in as gentle a way as possible, and ask them if they have any suggestions - again, gently and politely and with intent to listen - for how to improve on the issues over which they're voicing concern.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 04:31:20 PM »
It seems to me like the next move is unclear. With all the other tasks we've had prior to Oct 2, everything was clearly defined. Nothing so concrete has shown up since then.

A lot of random ideas are bring tossed around. AFAIK we have 2 current "Call to Action" projects underway. One is the youtube supernote, which is automatically going to scare a lot of people because... it's singing. And the other is hitting the cons, which from what I'm seeing, is like being a cold-calling telemarketer. Maybe it'd be different if we could set up an actual booth, but that probably costs a crazy fortune.

And there's Extra Life, which is bound to get more media attention. "Even in the impending twilight of their own world, Heroes fight to save others."

I get the feeling that everyone is waiting for the next big thing that they can all immediately jump up and get to work on. And also waiting for a Seattle protest to actually go off (what happened with that?). And for Tony's research on "What makes NCsoft tick?"

Also, Plan Z may have distracted a number of people. I don't know how many because I've been trying not to get sucked into it until December. But I'm sure some have already put most of their energy into it (which is why I really wish that had been kept on hold until after armageddon).

In short. The fire isn't out. But it's stumped with looking for the best place to burn.

Scott Jackson

• Plan Z: Gameplay Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 06:24:37 PM »
I figured I would share my favorite technique, and it's probably occurred to a lot of other folks...

Not every post requires a response.

Basically, turn on "slow chat mode" and just let people vent or express an opinion.
Don't ignore any person; but it's ok to ignore non-constructive posts and gently steer the discussion away from them.
Build upon constructive posts.  Add your good ideas to the good ideas of others.
Spend as much or more time complimenting posters/ideas, versus pointing out flaws.
Be constructive when pointing out flaws; explain "why". Suggest specific compromise solutions and explain why they are subjectively better to you.
Find something you are passionate about, and work toward it.  Accept constructive feedback but stick to your goals and principles.

Zolgar

• Grand Poobah of Plan Z
  • Boss
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 07:07:35 PM »
And the other is hitting the cons, which from what I'm seeing, is like being a cold-calling telemarketer. Maybe it'd be different if we could set up an actual booth, but that probably costs a crazy fortune.

Unfortunately even having tables it's about like being a telemarketer.. People may come by and politely listen, but usually the only reason they stop by your table is to take a picture of the hot girl in a skimpy costume, or to see if you have any free stuff.

Most cons, tables cost somewhere around $200-$500 and include 2 vendor passes.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 07:11:20 PM »
Unfortunately even having tables it's about like being a telemarketer.. People may come by and politely listen, but usually the only reason they stop by your table is to take a picture of the hot girl in a skimpy costume, or to see if you have any free stuff.

Most cons, tables cost somewhere around $200-$500 and include 2 vendor passes.

I still feel like the best thing we could do at a con is go into a costume contest as CoH characters, all holding prop torches. Reenact AP33. Get our minute of fame on the stage. That'd probably do something.

Getting any of the videos played during a machinima reel would be good too.

I know NOTHING of how all of this typically works though.

Zolgar

• Grand Poobah of Plan Z
  • Boss
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 07:23:41 PM »
I still feel like the best thing we could do at a con is go into a costume contest as CoH characters, all holding prop torches. Reenact AP33. Get our minute of fame on the stage. That'd probably do something.

Getting any of the videos played during a machinima reel would be good too.

I know NOTHING of how all of this typically works though.

Costume contests at cons are usually during the 'masquerade', which I can't speak for smaller cons.. but at San Diego Comic Con is a giant event of impossible proportions.. like the entire con.

Even /not/ in any kind of contest, on any kind of stage though, if you have a large group in costume at a con, clearly with a purpose, people will come up to you. If you were able to get a fair number of people from CoH at a con in costumes of one of their heroes (especially if they remotely looked the part*) standing together holding prop torches.. people will take notice.

The trick is getting 5+ CoH player who have costumes that look like their hero, that fit the appearance of their hero*, all at the same con.

*I'm sorry but it's a very true sentiment at cons, if you don't have the body to pull off the costume, you shouldn't be wearing it. I've seen too many Superman's who looked more like The Blob. >.>

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 07:26:05 PM »
Would be interesting if we could get a whole group of people dressed as Longbow or a group of Arachnos minions.  :)
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2012, 07:34:20 PM »
The conventions near me, aside from Chicago or St. Louis, are smaller, gaming-specific conventions.  There aren't costume contests, that I've seen, and, if there are vendor tables, they are very small scale vendors. That said, it's still an excellent opportunity to network.  It's not hard to work into conversation that you think the closing is unjust. That crowd is less likely to be as indignant about the Blade and Soul discussion, but it's certainly likely to get a positive discussion going. I'm looking at Rolla's con, and there's one in either Peoria or Bloomington that I'm looking at, as well.  I think the bulk of the gaming conventions were during the summer, but I certainly think it would be a receptive crowd.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Olantern

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 07:48:22 PM »
I'm posting to show my support for dwturducken's timely observation.

I've seen many statements, initiatives, and attitudes over weeks since the shutdown announcement that I think are unwise or wrongheaded, as well as plenty that I just plain disagree with.  I try to live by Thumper's Dictum in those situations: "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."  (Big bunny eyes optional.)  Scott Jackson already said it best.  Now, this may be easier for me than for some others around here- I work with activists who frequently assert posititions with which I disagree strongly, so I'm used to holding my peace in the interest of harmony all around.  (The "Korean Kibun" thread was really, really interesting to me for that reason; a lot of things about the concept resonated with me, despite the fact that I have no association with Korean culture whatsoever, unless you count CoH.)

All of us make efforts to Save CoH, or to support each other, in different ways.  Even those you may view as unicorns ("Unicorns?"  Really?  ???) may be trying to help.  Hostility and paranoia serve no one.  The more ideas we have around here, the better, in my view.  This is the beginning of something, not the end.

The only times I've felt the need to post in strong opposition to anything around here are situations where someone is about to bring civil or criminal liability down on themselves or others or otherwise hurt themselves or others badly.  With those limitations, I don't see much problem with disagreement.  That's why it's called a "forum."

Visual Fallacy

• Underling
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2012, 08:55:42 PM »
People who are upset often sound angry and say things that they wouldn't normally. I think you have to let people vent a little and gently turn the conversation around to something more productive.

I have to say I agree with TimtheEnchanter if I understood them correctly. There are lots of great ideas of things we can be doing but people in general often have good intentions that they never get around to. Signing a petition is easy, you're online when you hear of it, just open a new browser and paste url and sign. The unity rally was great, it was something big to be a part of, kind of if you weren't there you were missing out. The Posi tf was great, I ran a successful team both times (never got around to posting screen shots though :(  ) Sending masks and capes still a great idea but not really so much drive to get people to actually do it. I was invited to a baby shower back in August i bought a present and everything and I fully intend to send my mask and cape when i go to the post office to post the present for the baby shower  :-[ . The note thing I don't quite get and it sounds like I need to make a recording or video or even hold a note, none of which i'm comfortable doing i'm afraid. The 'cons' thing sounds great and I'd love to attend one and meet other CoH players but I don't live close enough to any reasonable sized ones and it would be difficult to travel. Letter writing, um my printers out of ink, and what do you mean there is such a thing as paper and pens? :o

I know all that sounds like a bunch of excuses but that's how people are. I've stood in Atlas 33 the last couple of days (got my hugged by Detra sticker to prove it) and each time i'm there I've counted max of about 20-25 people. I know people are doing it on other servers but this is virtue I'm talking about. I know many people are wanting to play the game rather than standing on the steps, most the time that's what I've been doing. Still 25 people is a small amount for the amount of people that play the game and would like to do something to save it. I'm not complaining about people I'm just saying people need to be encouraged to support with things that are easy for them that they want to be involved in. In game events costume competitions, games, races, tf days, things that they can do in game and have fun doing that they don't have to go out of their way to do but will keep a positive atmosphere.

And then while we have their attention tell them of the out of game stuff that is going on, letter writing, posting masks etc.

Anyway I have at least stopped putting off one thing, I posted after just reading for a few weeks

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2012, 09:13:38 PM »
The thread on the concept of Kibun is one I'm watching.  I was all for it and like that we are thinking in terms of trying to relate to the other side in a way that will resonate, but, as the thread progressed, I started to get a vibe.  I can't really elaborate, because I'm not able to articulate it, but I'm watching it to see where it goes.

As for venting, I'm all for it, but the civility is starting to slip.  I'm not trying to come on like a stern parent, telling everyone to watch it or I'll pull the forum over to the side of the road, but we were more open to converting dissent.

Also, welcome, VF.  I'm glad you decided to speak up. DrakeGrimm has popcorn, and I'll be passing out mojitos to try to lighten everyone up. :)

Heat Guard

• Minion
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2012, 09:25:55 PM »

Also, welcome, VF.  I'm glad you decided to speak up. DrakeGrimm has popcorn, and I'll be passing out mojitos to try to lighten everyone up. :)
So, you think VF is from Pinn?

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2012, 10:21:11 PM »
If things start getting bad, I'll start tugging the leash on redside initiatives. But once Dec 1 happens, unless we've heard something positive, I'm letting go of the leash. I've got some thoughts of my own that the Rogue Isles might want to hear.

QuantumHero

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2012, 10:38:33 PM »
I also one who is struggling and watching the kibun thread  ;)

This is a rough week for everyone the initial ra ra warm and fuzzy has worn off...now we know this is going to be a long and difficult slog...we are all trying to cope however we can and realizing just how much this world and community mean to us.

There are plans in the works but no real immediate activities to take part in and there is a lot of waiting.

When I can't deal anymore I go watch COH video and remember no matter what that much will still exist and all of you will to because this community is stronger then this.  Or I write a new song/poem - some of them are very very angry and will only appear if we reach a very dark hour indeed...others are hopeful and may be worthy of polishing up.

My husband and I are both struggling with this situation (we are both coh gamers although he has yet to officially join titan) and yet we must go about our daily lives without lashing out or breaking into tears...here in this forum and on the game we all understand for this village knows the pain we all feel.

It is going to get harder before it gets easier....people including me are going to lose our perspective from time to time, be blinded by emotions, or acting like a block of ice because feeling hurts to much at that moment.

For many of us the game is our prefered way to cope with pain and stress be that emotional or physical...it is our renewal, or escape, and a place where almost everyone is a friend...and we are all in pain because this death is to quick and to short for proper preperation yet to long for a quick catharsis.  We can visit the dying loved one in the hospital but there is no last great adventure to plan only a series of visits while we fight desperately on the side for a miracle.

What hurts worse is the "doctor" in question has many more treatments to try but they put our world in hospice because they won't take our insurance.

We are going to try our damndest here to change that...and help in any way you can.  But meanwhile go do your ingame bucket lists just in case, hold torches, do the events, go on missions, use sentinal plus to save your characters even if it is only to give them a proper eulogy <sniffle> because we may just pull of a miracle even after november 30th there is always a chance that we save even a tiny piece of this world....and if not cling to whatever lifeboat we have be it videos, chat rooms, screen caps, these forums, songs...or work on plan z...because we ARE going to have a future.  Remember breaking us means they win...we will not let them win we are a community that fights monsters and saves or takes over the world.  We are also a community that understands hard choices, redemption, and shades of grey.

So when someone falters or needs a helping hand, whether its a new member, or an old one...don't be afraid to listen to them vent....give them a hug, tell them you hear them, gently redirect negativity into healing or constructive activity.  We know each other pretty well at this point we all have strengths and weaknesses, good days and bad, tolerance for stress, thresholds of rage and sorrow...anytime you run out someone always has a "hope" inspiration waiting :'( :)

All we have is each other, we are family, we are the survivors of Paragon and we have not yet BEGUN to fight.
If given two roads that lead no where good...stop using roads and carve your own path.

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2012, 12:33:50 AM »
I'm a grumpy bastard. I'm the first to admit it, too. That said, I've tried to pour IMMENSE positive energy into this project. Those of you who also suffer from chronic depression--medical or otherwise--know what a chore that is.

So when someone comes in and contributes nothing constructive and attempts to derail threads by telling us we're all doing it wrong in a non-constructive and vaguely condescending manner, I will probably smack them upside the head. >.>

Does that mean I'm getting sick of everyone? Nope. I love you all like family, even when you're acting like a unicorn. :P
Family needs to be able to look at each other and go "you're being a dick, knock it off" now and then, though.

I'm still committed to this fight. I'm still committed to this community. I'm still committed to all of you, and even at our most disparate times, I am still proud and honored to stand with you.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2012, 12:48:54 AM »
I'm a grumpy bastard. I'm the first to admit it, too. That said, I've tried to pour IMMENSE positive energy into this project. Those of you who also suffer from chronic depression--medical or otherwise--know what a chore that is.

So when someone comes in and contributes nothing constructive and attempts to derail threads by telling us we're all doing it wrong in a non-constructive and vaguely condescending manner, I will probably smack them upside the head. >.>

Does that mean I'm getting sick of everyone? Nope. I love you all like family, even when you're acting like a unicorn. :P
Family needs to be able to look at each other and go "you're being a dick, knock it off" now and then, though.

I'm still committed to this fight. I'm still committed to this community. I'm still committed to all of you, and even at our most disparate times, I am still proud and honored to stand with you.

This is how I feel.

I agree with the OP in that dissent is being tolerated less and less... That's not good.  But, in general, people don't want to feel their energy is being wasted because some troll consumes the conversation.  I understand negative response to dissent.  It's not unwarranted. 

But everyone needs to realize that dissent and trolling are two different things.  Just learn to see the difference.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2012, 12:55:29 AM »
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

chaparralshrub

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2012, 01:06:27 AM »
Focus, people. We have a citymultiverse to save.

In fact, we may have more than one, since Champions Online, although inferior to CoH, hasn't been doing so well, financially. Let's be heroes and try to save them both, shall we? :)

Or let's be villains and conquer them both, make them ours. Of course that means saving them, too, huh?

By the way, did you hear that Lord Recluse went to heaven to try to smackdown the gods so that he could bring Statesman back to help save the day?

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2012, 01:07:30 AM »
Is anyone else getting nervous with all the ticking when VV's around? <edges slowly back>

;)

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2012, 01:15:27 AM »
I agree with you VV, but everyone should remember that doing anyone of those things once doesn't make you a verbal abuser for life.  People lose their cool and are vulnerable to situations.  I've probably done more than I would care to admit at one point or another, but I do my best to be positive and help people. 

It's probably obvious, but I felt it worth saying to avoid any unnecessary self-depreciation or name calling.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2012, 01:24:06 AM »
I agree with you VV, but everyone should remember that doing anyone of those things once doesn't make you a verbal abuser for life.  People lose their cool and are vulnerable to situations.  I've probably done more than I would care to admit at one point or another, but I do my best to be positive and help people. 

It's probably obvious, but I felt it worth saying to avoid any unnecessary self-depreciation or name calling.

Ticking?  <hides C4 with timer>  What ticking?

I don't call anyone on Verbal Abuse until they've proved themselves with three verbally abusive posts.  Three strikes and you're out.  Anyone can get mad and make a stupid post. 

Or as Auric Goldfinger said, "Once is happenstance.  Twice is coincidence.  Three times is enemy action."
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2012, 01:28:22 AM »
Ticking?  <hides C4 with timer>  What ticking?

I don't call anyone on Verbal Abuse until they've proved themselves with three verbally abusive posts.  Three strikes and you're out.  Anyone can get mad and make a stupid post. 

Or as Auric Goldfinger said, "Once is happenstance.  Twice is coincidence.  Three times is enemy action."
Just making sure no one's getting trigger happy :P

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2012, 01:29:30 AM »
Part of the issue is my fault.  I'm actually trying to do two very time-intensive activities at the same time: 1) Keep everyone motivated and address negative events and posts as they come up, and 2) Drive our "Calls to Action", including coming up with ideas and executing them with relatively little pain.  And sometimes in there, get a little bit of sleep and a few meals.

I think I'm getting a bit overloaded trying to handle everything, so I'm going to start working harder to delegate some of the responsibilities for running this effort to more people.

What I need you all to do are three things mainly:  First of all, PLEASE stay respectful towards each other in the community.  I knew that we have a really diverse group here, and not everyone is going to agree with our individual thoughts and ideas.  Shoot, I'm pretty sure that even some of our most ardent supporters have at least once or twice thought that I was probably crazy.  In fact, I've posted a few things that, even at the time, *I* thought were a bit on the nutty side, but that I've honestly felt gave us our best chance at getting us what we want.  That's not to say that you have to be sugary sweet towards the trolls.  The people I most often butt heads with are the people who keep saying that what we're doing is useless and that we should just shut up and accept what's happening.  But before you go jumping down anyone's throat, even if they're being snarky, please ask yourself, "Are they honestly trying to help, even if they're a bit misguided?"  If the answer is yes, then for god's sake, don't drive them off.

Second, when I try to delegate something, if you think you can run it, PLEASE step up and volunteer.  Some things will probably be a bit on the time-consuming side.  For example, we've got NY Comic Con coming up in less than a week, and I've put WAY too little effort in coordinating that effort.  I REALLY need folks who have the initiative to come forward and say, "I can handle this, let me do it," and who will run with it with little to no supervision.  The less micromanagement I have to do, the more time I can spend writing press releases and thinking about and working on rolling out big-picture kind of efforts.  Please don't interpret that as me saying, "Don't bother me!"; if someone has questions, I'm here.  But I trust you guys a lot more that I sometimes think you trust yourselves, and the coolest stuff I think we've seen come out of this effort so far has been when other people take an idea and run with it.

Third, kind of related to the above, please don't be afraid to initiate efforts on your own.  You do not need my permission or input on something to run with an idea.  For example, the people who have been running the City Sunset forums have done so almost completely without any input on my part.  That's not a bad thing, this is exactly the kind of initiative that we need!  If you have some idea that you think will help, I certainly don't mind you pinging me and saying, "What do you think of this?"  But if I don't respond, don't take that as a sign that I hate it; it's much more likely that I'm being deluged with a bunch of stuff.  If you think it's a good idea, run with it!  Post some messages, and as soon as it makes my radar, I'll try my best to sticky it or add some comments.

Oh, and if I do add some comments, PLEASE don't take that as saying, "Wow, this idea sucks.  Let's kill it dead."  What do I look like, NCsoft?  Seriously, I know that sometimes I come off as criticizing things when my intention is only to add some thoughts to consider.  I'll try to be more aware of such thoughts and add phrases like, "I think this is a good idea, but..." to make it clear that I'm not trying to kill something, just steer it in a direction that I think might be more productive.

Anyway, please don't lose heart.  I wish that this hadn't have turned into the slog that it's become, that it had all been resolved within the first few weeks.  But hey, we still have a ways to go, and you can rest in December.  :)  (Speaking of which, PLEASE do not get panicky as time goes on; we are also leaving open the possibility of acquiring the game after it shuts down.  Around the middle of next month, I fully expect the trolls to step up their "Ha ha, I told you so!" posts.  Don't bite, and don't let them discourage you.  These forums will continue operating, and we'll continue our efforts to make NCsoft want to sell City of Heroes.

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2012, 01:54:07 AM »
Tony, I think we all know what a Herculean Effort you have taken on, and bless you for that. It's good that you delegate trusted people to help in the myriad of things you are trying to do. I am ALWAYS  glad to see you post here, and let us know how you are and how things are going. It seems to me that a lot of people think 'it's over'. There are many who have stopped playing the game. This is the time we need as MANY people playing as possible, for many reasons. Your posts give us hope that one way or another, that the world we have come to love will continue. NCSoft expects us to give up. They expect the initial ferver to die down, especially if they just ignore us. We are a faceless part of their business. You are helping to keep our community banded and hopeful. Thank you for all that you do.
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Olantern

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2012, 01:59:11 AM »
Someone who's generally impressed me told me, "When I feel like getting angry, I remember that strangling people through the internet only gets fingerprints on your monitor."

That said, a lot of things I've seen posted lately are leading me to feel it isn't safe to post here any more unless I toe certain lines.

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2012, 02:17:40 AM »
I've always been on the outskirts of most communities' popular opinions because I am...to put it mildly...highly opinionated and stubborn.

Olantern, and others who feel similarly, don't let people intimidate you into towing lines in which you disbelieve. All I really suggest is that you be polite and assume that those with whom you're talking are not rude children unworthy of anything more than a parental scolding.

Olantern, I look at you and say this: you have not been guilty of such arrogance. You've been nothing but helpful and your words of wisdom and expert knowledge have been extremely valuable to me, and doubtless to many many others on this board. I'm grateful nearly every time I see you post, even when your posts are "no, this just won't work" or "good god, men, that's ILLEGAL!" because it prevents us from making stupid mistakes.

The ones to whom I may be guilty of replying with less than cordiality are those who step in and say "shut up, go home, you guys are fools for even trying and because you aren't doing what I say you're showing how unworthy and how doomed to failure you are."

Chaos Ex Machina

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2012, 02:19:38 AM »
Please minimize involvement with the Plan Z project.

Signing up should continue but I think the planning of world should emphasize that any posting is entirely brainstorming because the project is getting attacked as premature or dominated by a few.

Many of you consider the save efforts a project you have no way to get involved but I would like to say that you DO.  Please I desperately need recruits to the demorecording project.  I think plan z  can be a lot of fun so I understand the drive to contribute but right now we are desperately needing any help in any effort.  Even logging in has a beneficial effect to inspire people in the game.  Especially writers can help us convince people through letters or rally the players.  Do not think that a way to get involved is elusive to you.  Plan Z is not a way to get involved but another project.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2012, 02:28:32 AM »
Someone who's generally impressed me told me, "When I feel like getting angry, I remember that strangling people through the internet only gets fingerprints on your monitor."

That said, a lot of things I've seen posted lately are leading me to feel it isn't safe to post here any more unless I toe certain lines.

I, for one, very much value your considered, well-thought-out, and well-researched legal opinions.  They keep us from haring off into patently useless directions.

You are VERY MUCH not a Verbal Abuser.  You never browbeat, never name-call, never assert your "superiority" and when you give an opinion you back it up with facts, rather than saying "I say I am an expert so STFU."  Every single one of the Verbal Abusers that has posted here has come in, asserted (with nothing whatsoever to back up their assertions) that they are Experts In Business, that we are all idiots and commie pinko whiny babies, and we should shut up, sit down, and do what they tell us to do.  Mind you, not one of them has shown ANY demonstrable credentials, given a real name and the name of the real business that they allegedly run, or said anything that would lead me to want to buy a box of paperclips from them, let alone walk into their business for anything substantial.  You, on the other hand, have been courteous, admitted frequently that X was not your level of expertise, and this is only what cursory research told you, and gave ample evidence that you DO know what you are saying, you ARE what you say you are, and quite frankly, even if our politics differ, I would feel perfectly comfortable trusting you with my legal business.

So please continue posting.  There's never been one of your posts that I had any problem with.  I might have disagreed (generally on the topic of using politicians, because, by ghod, if I am paying their salaries I want the same right to use them as any other wingnut and how is this a stupider thing to use them for than National Pickle Day), I was often disappointed (DAMMIT! another idea shot down!) but I never had a problem with the tone.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2012, 02:50:52 AM »
Nope everyone here are the problems:

1. NCSoft blinked but used the old tactic of delay to weather our initial emotional response.

2. We were focused on making noise for NCSoft  so they would talk to our team, they never intended to be serious.

3. We are unsure what's next because with no one to talk to we lost our way forward.

4. We have lots of media attention and yet nowhere to point them.

Solutions:

1. Realize the truth is we may not save our game before Nov 30th. - now we use our minds and not our hearts to win this battle or at least fight in such a way that the other bastards know they were in a fight.

2. Don't take no as no. Take no as the fact we didn't have enough things they wanted. So we need to raise the bar and work harder. We need to follow through on each and every step and hit them withe Operation Blitzkrieg.

Operation Blitzkrieg is mailing them, emailing them, making more movies, send them fan art of your characters created in the game, more testimonials, send stuff (socks) to the share holders and tell them we as heroes are socking it to NCSoft. Get our media and celebrities a goal or at least a direction.

I am stubborn and not easily swayed by setbacks. To quote Tom Petty: You can stand me up at the gates of hell, but I won't back down.

Aquashock

• Boss
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2012, 03:04:27 AM »
There's another trend that I've started to see rear its ugly head. We've started attacking each other for "not doing enough." Using what's essentially a personal and arbitrary stance to pick at each other and the movement as a whole.

If you've tried to help where you can when you can, no one should be saying that's "not enough" of an effort. Especially because the accuser often doesn't even know -what- that particular target may or may not have done. I am not especially vocal, does that mean I've done less than a more prolific poster? Who knows, but slinging mud at each other isn't going to lead anywhere good. It will only drive people away from helping.  It is something that would make me remove myself from the picture due to health-related issues. It would make a lurker much warier of joining in. It will create a toxic atmosphere and that's the last thing we want to happen.

I haven't seen this happen much and it's very much something I'm sensitive to, since it'll make me pop my escape hatch, but I think we should all be aware that it can become a very big problem for us.

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2012, 03:09:22 AM »
I have not, mercifully, noticed anybody making that particular accusation, Aquashock, but if you are seeing it, thanks for bringing it up. We've gotta be grateful for anything everybody does, and demand nothing more. We can ask, we can plead, but we must remember that only that which is willingly given to help our cause is going to ultimately save it; all else will come with expectation of being owed something which nobody is going to be able to promise.

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2012, 03:42:11 AM »
I am refreshed to see so many people admit that they are argumentative, old, cranky, stubborn, etc..

Now, I don't feel so alone.  ;D
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2012, 03:45:47 AM »
I am refreshed to see so many people admit that they are argumentative, old, cranky, stubborn, etc..

...you should hear what goes on in my head before my "Public Consumption" filters kick in. >.>

..wait, no, on second thought, no one should ever hear that. XD
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2012, 03:53:47 AM »
...you should hear what goes on in my head before my "Public Consumption" filters kick in. >.>

..wait, no, on second thought, no one should ever hear that. XD
*uses his telepathetic ability*

*backs away very very slowly....*

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2012, 03:58:51 AM »
*uses his telepathetic ability*

*backs away very very slowly....*

Oh. Oh you poor fool.

Someone get an emergency psychiatric trauma team down here! Stat!

chaparralshrub

• Elite Boss
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2012, 04:27:13 AM »
I'VE BEEN WORSHIPING CTHULHU FROM DUSK TO EARLY LIGHT!
I'VE BEEN WORSHIPING CTHULHU AS I AWAIT ETERNAL NIGHT!

Yeah, insanity has its perks.

Trouble is that I'm not a diplomat. I feel like Plan Z is about all I can do.

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2012, 04:38:53 AM »
There's another trend that I've started to see rear its ugly head. We've started attacking each other for "not doing enough." Using what's essentially a personal and arbitrary stance to pick at each other and the movement as a whole.

If you've tried to help where you can when you can, no one should be saying that's "not enough" of an effort. Especially because the accuser often doesn't even know -what- that particular target may or may not have done. I am not especially vocal, does that mean I've done less than a more prolific poster? Who knows, but slinging mud at each other isn't going to lead anywhere good. It will only drive people away from helping.  It is something that would make me remove myself from the picture due to health-related issues. It would make a lurker much warier of joining in. It will create a toxic atmosphere and that's the last thing we want to happen.

I haven't seen this happen much and it's very much something I'm sensitive to, since it'll make me pop my escape hatch, but I think we should all be aware that it can become a very big problem for us.
I get this too.  Some of us simply don't have the expertise/time/whatever to mount the Herculean efforts of others.  I am one of those.  Some just don't know what to do and some have circumstances that cannot be fathomed by an internet-onlooker.  Telling someone they're slacking off is totally uncalled for and rude.  Any help should be appreciated and welcomed, not met with "that's fine... but not enough".  I have my parents for that. 

If anyone sees this going on, stop it.  It is not okay.   

downix

• Elite Boss
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2012, 04:39:15 AM »
I'VE BEEN WORSHIPING CTHULHU FROM DUSK TO EARLY LIGHT!
I'VE BEEN WORSHIPING CTHULHU AS I AWAIT ETERNAL NIGHT!

Yeah, insanity has its perks.

Trouble is that I'm not a diplomat. I feel like Plan Z is about all I can do.
Demorecord while you play too. I've been doing that.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2012, 05:30:47 AM »

GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN! /em caneshake

Seriously, Aquashock, I hope I didn't give you that impression.  There's lots of little things people can do, fitting them in where they have time, and little things add up to big ones.  I just assume that is what folks are doing and they don't feel the need to post about it.

WanderingAries

• Elite Boss
  • @WanderingAries /\ Mostly on Torch
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2012, 05:32:18 AM »
Tick:  "Using words to shame. Critical, sarcastic, mocking words meant to put you down either alone or in front of other people"
I see these posts and in my head hear: "Tic, Tic, BOOOOOM!"
Find me on Homecoming:
https://www.homecomingservers.com

downix

• Elite Boss
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2012, 05:32:51 AM »
GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN! /em caneshake

Seriously, Aquashock, I hope I didn't give you that impression.  There's lots of little things people can do, fitting them in where they have time, and little things add up to big ones.  I just assume that is what folks are doing and they don't feel the need to post about it.
Precisely. I'm doing demorecords of every zone and map I can for instance to help with the Media project. About all I can do without more direction.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2012, 05:34:35 AM »

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2012, 05:48:26 AM »
Where do I look to learn how to demorecord. I ran one of my Outbreak characters, tonight, and, between that, running Galaxy City for the exploration badges at level one with no travel power except the GvE rocket pack, then running from the middle of Bettis Hills in Perez to the Atlas door, I felt like I should have been recording it. :)

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2012, 05:56:09 AM »
I think some people havent gotten out of the way of communicating goes on the COX forum and forget this here is a tad bit different and more mature.
I think there is a more mature atmosphere here.  It probably comes from the fact that we're a group working to save City of Heroes, and not simply discuss it.  We are fighting the good fight, so to speak.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2012, 08:21:01 AM »
Where do I look to learn how to demorecord. I ran one of my Outbreak characters, tonight, and, between that, running Galaxy City for the exploration badges at level one with no travel power except the GvE rocket pack, then running from the middle of Bettis Hills in Perez to the Atlas door, I felt like I should have been recording it. :)

Turns out it is so simple even I can do it!  No, really!

In the chatbar, type /demorecord filename  where filename is the name of the file you want the recording saved at.  Make sure you have a different filename for every recording you make. or you will just keep overwriting the same one, which would be  :'( .  Remember that zoning will turn off your recording, so you want to stop it before you zone.

To stop, type /demostop

That's it!

The "recording" is actually just a series of commands that tells the game engine what iteration of your toon to use and what it is doing, so it's quite, quite small.  You'll find it in the game folder in a subfolder called client_demos

You can play it back via the game engine too.  There is a whole section in the Paragon Wiki about recording, editing and playing back. 
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 08:40:44 AM by Victoria Victrix »

Chaos Ex Machina

• Lieutenant
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2012, 09:29:41 AM »
Remember that zoning will turn off your recording, so you want to stop it before you zone.

UGH it huh?  Most of those I did could be obsolete if the process ends at a zone!

Quinch

« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2012, 09:41:50 AM »
Turns out it is so simple even I can do it!  No, really!

In the chatbar, type /demorecord filename  where filename is the name of the file you want the recording saved at.  Make sure you have a different filename for every recording you make. or you will just keep overwriting the same one, which would be  :'(Remember that zoning will turn off your recording, so you want to stop it before you zone.

To stop, type /demostop

-cough cough-

Chaos Ex Machina

• Lieutenant
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2012, 09:44:23 AM »
Please can I get a confirmation of the zone compatibility?

Quinch

« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2012, 09:51:12 AM »
UGH it huh?  Most of those I did could be obsolete if the process ends at a zone!

Not sure what the means - the recording stops when you change zones, but it saves too. So, combined with the automatic renamer from the other post, you basically just need a /demorecord Fnord macro to click whenever you want to start recording.

DamianoV

• Lieutenant
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2012, 12:06:43 PM »
Demorecord definitely stops (and saves) when you zone.   I would suggest a naming convention that gives you some clue who/what you are recording... I have about 150 recordings now, and some of the names I originally used were less than helpful ("goodmish2.cohdemo"... what the?)

Demorecord is one of the features that frankly has been keeping me sane with the impending closing looming.  It's hardly the same as playing the game, but with a little effort I can take my favorite characters and put them through their paces.  I've even been considering creating a little app to build cohdemo files from scratch for playback.  The file format is a bit arcane, but nowhere near as bad as some of the stuff I deal with at work daily... and the servers don't have to be up at all to play back a demo file.

Mantic

• Boss
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2012, 12:20:46 PM »

Didn't think it was necessary to admit here, since I never really don the diplomat hat in the first place. ;)

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2012, 03:19:12 PM »
-cough cough-

Oops.  :-[
I came into that one late, so I must not have read the OP as thoroughly as I should have.  There is a lot happening very quickly, here.

And the overall draw for me, to the game and the community, has been how tolerant is has always been to n00bs.  I still see people talked down to in other games, as though they shouldn't bother "the big kids" with their questions. Granted, I tend to be trying out games when they become F2P, so I'm one of the n00bs intruding on the (ostensibly) established community, but I learned to look for a wiki instead of asking someone in-game. Watching an in-game discussion in CO of the CoH shutdown was particularly disheartening; it even got to the point where a RedName (or whatever they call admins) had to step in and remind everyone to play nice.

I'm not saying that we've changed that, here, but it is getting stressful, especially after the last announcement by NC. I have always seen people say what was on their minds without it causing a flame-war. It was becoming less so, and I just wanted to point it out while we still were all talking to each other.

I know it's not my place to police us or tell anyone, "Say what you want! Everyone is welcome." We have put that impression out there by our actions as a group, though, so say what you want.  Everyone is welcome. :)

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2012, 03:41:38 PM »
Something else cool about demo playback. It works without the login server.

voodoogirl

« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2012, 03:43:05 PM »
Been demorecording ever session since the announcement.

TonyV's been awfully silently lately (note: my search-fu is on Super Suck, so I just be missing his posts) - any word on what our next plan is?

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2012, 03:44:17 PM »
Been demorecording ever session since the announcement.

TonyV's been awfully silently lately (note: my search-fu is on Super Suck, so I just be missing his posts) - any word on what our next plan is?

Go back one page in this thread.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2012, 03:47:02 PM »
Yeah, my purpose in this thread was to not get him involved, for many of the reasons he listed, but I appreciate him chiming in.

voodoogirl

« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2012, 03:47:37 PM »
*euthanizes Super-Suck-Search-Fu*

*Installs TimeTheEnchanter as new Search-Fu Engine*

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2012, 01:07:17 AM »

Anyway, please don't lose heart.  I wish that this hadn't have turned into the slog that it's become, that it had all been resolved within the first few weeks.  But hey, we still have a ways to go, and you can rest in December.  :)  (Speaking of which, PLEASE do not get panicky as time goes on; we are also leaving open the possibility of acquiring the game after it shuts down.  Around the middle of next month, I fully expect the unicorns to step up their "Ha ha, I told you so!" posts.  Don't bite, and don't let them discourage you.  These forums will continue operating, and we'll continue our efforts to make NCsoft want to sell City of Heroes.

And that is the part that slightly bothers me. After Nov 30th. The rest of the community over there on the original board will be looking for another place. I think some of the good elements will come on over and will be helpful tothe community here. On the other hand, there are some that may have the goal to turn this forum into what has transpired over there in recent times.

I hope many of them check their negativity at the door but that is like hoping a werewolf will be civil at the dinner table during a full moon. 

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2012, 01:11:56 AM »

I have a feeling Titan is going to need more Mods come Nov 30th.

And that is the part that slightly bothers me. After Nov 30th. The rest of the community over there on the original board will be looking for another place. I think some of the good elements will come on over and will be helpful tothe community here. On the other hand, there are some that may have the goal to turn this forum into what has transpired over there in recent times.

I hope many of them check their negativity at the door but that is like hoping a werewolf will be civil at the dinner table during a full moon.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2012, 01:20:39 AM »
I haven't had to break this out in a long time.  I'm hoping I can keep it locked up for a while longer.

Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2012, 01:21:21 AM »

I can volunteer if that is the case.

I am a mod. on MBZ forum. Oh that is easy to mod? Alright get a Lexus vs MBZ discussion going and watch the fur fly. lol.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2012, 03:05:48 AM »
I haven't had to break this out in a long time.  I'm hoping I can keep it locked up for a while longer.

*clears throat* NNNNNNNI!!!!

............hm... I'm still alive? Cool.

chaparralshrub

• Elite Boss
« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2012, 04:15:18 AM »
I have no idea how 'unicorn' came to be the replacement word for 'troll'.

Things that need to happen on November 30:

1. We must not give up hope of still convincing NCSoft to sell the CoH IP. Like every other company, they will have executive turnover, and the people who made the decision to kill CoH may be replaced in favor of those who would permit it to come back from the dead. Especially if our campaign gives NCS such bad PR that their sales on other games drop and the responsible parties get blamed and sacked because of it. I'm calling this Plan B for the sake of convenience.

2. We need to play close attention to whatever the remains of Paragon Studios are doing. If they have the leadership and the funding, they may reform as their own company. If they do this, they will probably try to make an MMO. If they do make an MMO, the chances of it being a superhero MMO are pretty good. And they already know what we like, so it's probably going to be pretty similar to City of Heroes. We may lose the setting that we love so much, but I'm sure they could make a new one that would be just as appealing. I'll call this Plan C.

3. We need to look at what we can do to reverse-engineer parts of CoH, especially the servers. Even if we can't put server content out there, we might be able to get as far as the loading screen, and maybe even a simple room could be crafted on the server that would give us access to Mission Architect. It's not CoH, but it's better than nothing. That would be Plan D, I think.

4. Lastly, Plan Z needs to swing into high gear. Taek Jin Kim may be determined to take the IP with him to his grave, Paragon may not be able to put itself back together again, and who knows what we can really do (and get away with) for reverse engineering the game and putting up private servers no matter how incomplete. Plan Z will allow us to recreate the CoH experience. Whether Plan Z succeeds or fails will be up to us.

We are Heroes. This is what we do.

voodoogirl

« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2012, 04:19:25 AM »
We also need to avoid stretching ourselves too thin.

What can we do ingame to continue to spread the word and engage the player base?

I'm curious to test out a macro to email target players  to spread the news (there is an ingame slash command to send an email to a character via the chat bar)

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2012, 05:42:18 AM »

This...  Let's just say there was a "Best of Craigslist" ad that will not be linked here that this image reminds me of. Wrong, on so many levels...

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2012, 06:43:42 AM »
This...  Let's just say there was a "Best of Craigslist" ad that will not be linked here that this image reminds me of. Wrong, on so many levels...
All the more reason to keep the Iron Fist in storage.  :)
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

Quinch

« Reply #68 on: October 09, 2012, 07:51:49 AM »
I'm curious to test out a macro to email target players  to spread the news (there is an ingame slash command to send an email to a character via the chat bar)

I never managed to get that one to work, at least not with names with spaces.

voodoogirl

« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2012, 12:24:02 PM »
It's been a few years since I dabbled with it, but I believe if you put $target in quotes it works. I could be wrong - been years.