Author Topic: A disturbing trend  (Read 12587 times)

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
Re: A disturbing trend
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2012, 05:30:47 AM »
I am refreshed to see so many people admit that they are argumentative, old, cranky, stubborn, etc..

Now, I don't feel so alone.  ;D

GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN! /em caneshake

Seriously, Aquashock, I hope I didn't give you that impression.  There's lots of little things people can do, fitting them in where they have time, and little things add up to big ones.  I just assume that is what folks are doing and they don't feel the need to post about it.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

WanderingAries

• Elite Boss
  • @WanderingAries /\ Mostly on Torch
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2012, 05:32:18 AM »
Tick:  "Using words to shame. Critical, sarcastic, mocking words meant to put you down either alone or in front of other people"
I see these posts and in my head hear: "Tic, Tic, BOOOOOM!"
Find me on Homecoming:
https://www.homecomingservers.com

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2012, 05:32:51 AM »
GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN! /em caneshake

Seriously, Aquashock, I hope I didn't give you that impression.  There's lots of little things people can do, fitting them in where they have time, and little things add up to big ones.  I just assume that is what folks are doing and they don't feel the need to post about it.
Precisely. I'm doing demorecords of every zone and map I can for instance to help with the Media project. About all I can do without more direction.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2012, 05:34:35 AM »

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2012, 05:48:26 AM »
Where do I look to learn how to demorecord. I ran one of my Outbreak characters, tonight, and, between that, running Galaxy City for the exploration badges at level one with no travel power except the GvE rocket pack, then running from the middle of Bettis Hills in Perez to the Atlas door, I felt like I should have been recording it. :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2012, 05:56:09 AM »
I think some people havent gotten out of the way of communicating goes on the COX forum and forget this here is a tad bit different and more mature.
I think there is a more mature atmosphere here.  It probably comes from the fact that we're a group working to save City of Heroes, and not simply discuss it.  We are fighting the good fight, so to speak.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2012, 08:21:01 AM »
Where do I look to learn how to demorecord. I ran one of my Outbreak characters, tonight, and, between that, running Galaxy City for the exploration badges at level one with no travel power except the GvE rocket pack, then running from the middle of Bettis Hills in Perez to the Atlas door, I felt like I should have been recording it. :)

Turns out it is so simple even I can do it!  No, really!

In the chatbar, type /demorecord filename  where filename is the name of the file you want the recording saved at.  Make sure you have a different filename for every recording you make. or you will just keep overwriting the same one, which would be  :'( .  Remember that zoning will turn off your recording, so you want to stop it before you zone.

To stop, type /demostop

That's it!

The "recording" is actually just a series of commands that tells the game engine what iteration of your toon to use and what it is doing, so it's quite, quite small.  You'll find it in the game folder in a subfolder called client_demos

You can play it back via the game engine too.  There is a whole section in the Paragon Wiki about recording, editing and playing back. 
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 08:40:44 AM by Victoria Victrix »
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Chaos Ex Machina

• Lieutenant
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2012, 09:29:41 AM »
Remember that zoning will turn off your recording, so you want to stop it before you zone.

UGH it huh?  Most of those I did could be obsolete if the process ends at a zone!

Quinch

« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2012, 09:41:50 AM »
Turns out it is so simple even I can do it!  No, really!

In the chatbar, type /demorecord filename  where filename is the name of the file you want the recording saved at.  Make sure you have a different filename for every recording you make. or you will just keep overwriting the same one, which would be  :'(Remember that zoning will turn off your recording, so you want to stop it before you zone.

To stop, type /demostop

-cough cough-

Chaos Ex Machina

• Lieutenant
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2012, 09:44:23 AM »
Please can I get a confirmation of the zone compatibility?

Quinch

« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2012, 09:51:12 AM »
UGH it huh?  Most of those I did could be obsolete if the process ends at a zone!

Not sure what the means - the recording stops when you change zones, but it saves too. So, combined with the automatic renamer from the other post, you basically just need a /demorecord Fnord macro to click whenever you want to start recording.

DamianoV

• Lieutenant
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2012, 12:06:43 PM »
Demorecord definitely stops (and saves) when you zone.   I would suggest a naming convention that gives you some clue who/what you are recording... I have about 150 recordings now, and some of the names I originally used were less than helpful ("goodmish2.cohdemo"... what the?)

Demorecord is one of the features that frankly has been keeping me sane with the impending closing looming.  It's hardly the same as playing the game, but with a little effort I can take my favorite characters and put them through their paces.  I've even been considering creating a little app to build cohdemo files from scratch for playback.  The file format is a bit arcane, but nowhere near as bad as some of the stuff I deal with at work daily... and the servers don't have to be up at all to play back a demo file.

Mantic

• Boss
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2012, 12:20:46 PM »
I am refreshed to see so many people admit that they are argumentative, old, cranky, stubborn, etc..

Didn't think it was necessary to admit here, since I never really don the diplomat hat in the first place. ;)

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2012, 03:19:12 PM »
-cough cough-

Oops.  :-[
I came into that one late, so I must not have read the OP as thoroughly as I should have.  There is a lot happening very quickly, here.

And the overall draw for me, to the game and the community, has been how tolerant is has always been to n00bs.  I still see people talked down to in other games, as though they shouldn't bother "the big kids" with their questions. Granted, I tend to be trying out games when they become F2P, so I'm one of the n00bs intruding on the (ostensibly) established community, but I learned to look for a wiki instead of asking someone in-game. Watching an in-game discussion in CO of the CoH shutdown was particularly disheartening; it even got to the point where a RedName (or whatever they call admins) had to step in and remind everyone to play nice.

I'm not saying that we've changed that, here, but it is getting stressful, especially after the last announcement by NC. I have always seen people say what was on their minds without it causing a flame-war. It was becoming less so, and I just wanted to point it out while we still were all talking to each other.

I know it's not my place to police us or tell anyone, "Say what you want! Everyone is welcome." We have put that impression out there by our actions as a group, though, so say what you want.  Everyone is welcome. :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2012, 03:41:38 PM »
Something else cool about demo playback. It works without the login server.

voodoogirl

« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2012, 03:43:05 PM »
Been demorecording ever session since the announcement.

TonyV's been awfully silently lately (note: my search-fu is on Super Suck, so I just be missing his posts) - any word on what our next plan is?

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2012, 03:44:17 PM »
Been demorecording ever session since the announcement.

TonyV's been awfully silently lately (note: my search-fu is on Super Suck, so I just be missing his posts) - any word on what our next plan is?

Go back one page in this thread.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2012, 03:47:02 PM »
Yeah, my purpose in this thread was to not get him involved, for many of the reasons he listed, but I appreciate him chiming in.

voodoogirl

« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2012, 03:47:37 PM »
*euthanizes Super-Suck-Search-Fu*

*Installs TimeTheEnchanter as new Search-Fu Engine*

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2012, 01:07:17 AM »

Anyway, please don't lose heart.  I wish that this hadn't have turned into the slog that it's become, that it had all been resolved within the first few weeks.  But hey, we still have a ways to go, and you can rest in December.  :)  (Speaking of which, PLEASE do not get panicky as time goes on; we are also leaving open the possibility of acquiring the game after it shuts down.  Around the middle of next month, I fully expect the unicorns to step up their "Ha ha, I told you so!" posts.  Don't bite, and don't let them discourage you.  These forums will continue operating, and we'll continue our efforts to make NCsoft want to sell City of Heroes.

And that is the part that slightly bothers me. After Nov 30th. The rest of the community over there on the original board will be looking for another place. I think some of the good elements will come on over and will be helpful tothe community here. On the other hand, there are some that may have the goal to turn this forum into what has transpired over there in recent times.

I hope many of them check their negativity at the door but that is like hoping a werewolf will be civil at the dinner table during a full moon.