Author Topic: CoH is a family affair.  (Read 2057 times)

Blacjac84

• Minion
CoH is a family affair.
« on: October 09, 2012, 02:58:39 PM »
In the Save City of Heroes Facebook group, there are some people talking about how their children are sad that they won't be able to play CoH anymore.

Here's a few samples.  I won't post their names, since I don't have their permission to use their names.

The post that started it:  "So my 3 year old hands me the 4 disc set for City of villians and says "Daddy I want you to play this game"........I hope this game somehow survives :("

"I literally had a similar action from my God Daughter.

She asked me about the "Hero Game" I played often. I told her the story of what's happening and how I am often working three jobs to get her the best I can. She told me I should play it more when I don't work, instead. "You seem happy when you play it, and it makes me happy."

Seriously hit a emotion nerve right there.
"

"Ya, my oldest would go through phases of playing the game too. WE even got her own acct and what she had unlocked was from her allowance or rewards too. Even she's too sad to play it anymore."

City of Heroes has become a family game for many families.

Edit:  My bad, this thread is in the City of Heroes -- Guardian Server Facebook page, but the message is still the same. :P
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 03:49:50 PM by Blacjac84 »

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
Re: CoH is a family affair.
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 03:27:30 PM »
I will need to make sure to join that facebook group and try to get this message out on media day, as well.  :'(

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 03:30:02 PM »
One of my in-game global friends was a single account shared by an entire family.  I originally knew the mom, but I eventually got to know her two sons and husband.  It got confusing who I was teaming with sometime but I basically knew their entire family.  I even knew their dogs' names.  It's one of the reasons I want to save the game so badly.

Moonfyire101

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 03:52:24 PM »
As i stated before the game is where me n my dad spend time together. He doesn't live near me, i don't have a car, hes sick in real life (cancer), and in the game he's a hero not sick. It's were we go to escape and spend time together. I have a similar situation with my fiance, he lives too far for me to walk and is poor also, i see him 2 times a month. I spend time with him in the game the rest of the time. My fiance hate all other MMO's because he's not into the whole fantasy thing and kill stealing body looting and stuff. This is the only game he likes. My dad will play other games but this one is special to him. He can fly and be anything here, it's completely unique. I don't want to lose my game, we don't want to lose it. I will fight till the end of time!

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 08:56:22 PM »
City of Heroes was my first MMO. I played it with my dad. He lived out of state, so it was how we kept in touch.

I also have a friend whose family plays. She plays. Her mother plays. Her sister plays. Her youngest sister would, some day, have gotten her own account. Now that shared joy is being taken from them.

City has always been about family to me. Which is why this community, and everyone in it--whether I like you or not--is considered family to me. We are united by our love of the game. Family might squabble and fight, but at the end of the day, we got each others' backs when it really matters.

We are family. This is what we do.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 09:21:06 PM »
Dawwwwwww!

So much love <3

I agree Grimm, completely.

SithRose

• Plan Z: Lore Lead
  • Elite Boss
  • The Phoenix is coming.
    • Missing Worlds Media - Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 11:53:19 PM »
I've already shared the story of how COH helped my family....

I was really looking forward to family TFs. With four kids, we could have done it for almost every TF in the game.

My boys are still asking why it's being shut down. They've decided that NCSoft is run by archvillains. (The oldest turns 9 next month, this is kid logic.)

I wish I had better answers for them. :(
Lore Lead for Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
Secretary of Missing Worlds Media, Inc.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 11:57:59 PM »
We are family. This is what we do.

OK, I'm basically dead inside, and this made even me go a little squishy.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 12:01:36 AM »
My father in law is a retired Special Forces Sergeant Major, who currently works as a grade school teacher in a school for severely disadvantaged children in Las Vegas.  My mother-in-law is now pretty much 100% shut-in due to physical and mental problems.  Pop rarely gets to go anywhere once he's home.

But he had City and a huge circle of friends there, and we could play with him almost every night, sharing chit chat while we beat on bad guys.

We haven't heard from him since the first week after Black Friday.  I think he's operating on his old military habit of "it's dead, don't stretch things out, just cut the ties and get the pain over quickly."  It's something he sadly has had a lot of practice in and is his way of coping with death.  But this also means we've lost a way of "being with him" and he has lost his only way of "getting out."   And I just have no solutions to any of this.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 12:18:00 AM »
They've decided that NCSoft is run by archvillains. (The oldest turns 9 next month, this is kid logic.)
Very perceptive kid logic. ;)
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov