Author Topic: Class Action Lawsuit is it possible for Coh?  (Read 1002 times)

Superratz

• Underling
Class Action Lawsuit is it possible for Coh?
« on: October 09, 2012, 11:28:19 PM »
So I was talking to some Coh Players and a thought came up about our Issue. Ok they said Remember the Freedom posters that said "play for free forever"? do we have any lawyers that can call them on that statement and lets organize a class action suit against them for false advertising. our bargain would be to keep the game alive forever like they stated.

There got to be a Lawyer out there who can help us out, maybe a gamer or can help us find out info we need to save Coh.

It's is false advertising isn't it and they broke there word, can we take them too Court, I need help to figure this out, I am not a Lawyer or not so smart with stuff like this.

Do any of you think this could work or there no way, please Voice your options.

P51mus

• Boss
  • aka Pitho
Re: Class Action Lawsuit is it possible for Coh?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 11:34:34 PM »
Unfortunately, the sueing them for the "play for free forever" has been considered and shot down before.  Apparently it's considered puffery and not actually illegal.  Even though I find it very distasteful, to put it mildly.

There is a former law teacher interested in pursuring some other avenues for a lawsuit.  I have no idea what they could be, and apparently it'd probably be something new.  I wouldn't count on it.  But it's an interesting thought.

Dollhouse

• Boss
  • "What will happen? Will I dream?"
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 11:36:28 PM »
Highly unlikely that a suit could be brought on the basis of that phrase. Since it's literally impossible for something like that to be around "forever" (obviously), then that usage would fall under the category of a "term of art." In the context of a pricing policy for a video game, it would be taken to mean that there would always be a free option, as long as the game itself existed. That the game itself would not be around "forever" would simply be a given...because nothing of that nature could reasonably be expected to last forever.

If they'd stated a finite length of time, this would be different. but tehy didn't...they used a term of art.

Teege

• Boss
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 11:38:44 PM »
This idea has already been mentioned (using the forum's Search function can probably net you the thread). Basically it IS free forever, as long as the servers are to be running.
Keep fighting the good fight!

@Teege - Virtue

www.cohtitan.com

Olantern

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 02:12:18 AM »