Author Topic: ...no comment. (For the journos.)  (Read 33155 times)

Steele Magnolia

• Minion
Re: ...no comment. (For the journos.)
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2012, 03:10:27 AM »
Hey Rae--I now am "officially" "NYT Bestselling author."  Came in this week at #20 on the NYT Bestsellers List.    :) So you can add that if you want.

You've always been bestselling for my bookshelf (and Kindle).  NCSoft is insane not to want you in their corner.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2012, 03:15:13 AM »
I think you now might have something to interest a major news organization. Before I go on I would ask that everyone put aside their political opinions and not attack the idea solely on that merit (as was done when someone suggested this on the forums).

Contact Foxnews. You have a Korean company shutting down a profitable studio and taking jobs out of California, the Senate Minority Whip's state, after state tax increases there and upcoming increased federal tax burden on business. Workers lost their job with no warning and kicked to the curb.

That's news no matter what your politics.

Well, this close to elections, maybe not so much. A Dem-biased agency might not cover it, because it makes the President look bad. And really, either way if they do it as a political piece, it may not work out well for us. The report will end up being a footnote in a story about why businesses are leaving the U.S., rather than about what we want them to talk about. They won't be asking, "What's up with NCsoft." They'll just be asking, "Whose fault is it that our country isn't good enough for NCsoft?"

Adrenalin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2012, 05:28:27 AM »
Well, this close to elections, maybe not so much. A Dem-biased agency might not cover it, because it makes the President look bad. And really, either way if they do it as a political piece, it may not work out well for us. The report will end up being a footnote in a story about why businesses are leaving the U.S., rather than about what we want them to talk about. They won't be asking, "What's up with NCsoft." They'll just be asking, "Whose fault is it that our country isn't good enough for NCsoft?"

Hi, excuse me for coming in new to a conversation already in progress.  :)

Actually Fox leans very far to the right, as in typically close to tea party right. Of course they also post video of protesters in front of palm trees and try to tell you that it was filmed in Wisconsin, but that's beside the point.  ;D  If they found this info in any way interesting they would definitely run it. I believe you're right however in the idea that it would just end up being a political piece. Right now, EVERYthing is a political piece.

Oh, and a huge congrats to VV. I take a knee in your honor m'lady.  :)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 05:50:42 AM by Digital Gypsy »

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2012, 06:19:53 AM »
Thanks very much for the effort Rae. This is indeed the most baffling behavior I think I've ever seen in any company, gaming or otherwise.

What kind of an article are you going to go with, now that you essentially have nothing to go on from NCSoft but this?

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2012, 06:32:04 AM »
Hi, excuse me for coming in new to a conversation already in progress.  :)

Actually Fox leans very far to the right, as in typically close to tea party right. Of course they also post video of protesters in front of palm trees and try to tell you that it was filmed in Wisconsin, but that's beside the point.  ;D  If they found this info in any way interesting they would definitely run it. I believe you're right however in the idea that it would just end up being a political piece. Right now, EVERYthing is a political piece.

Oh, and a huge congrats to VV. I take a knee in your honor m'lady.  :)

I don't want to derail this conversation, so I will simply point out that the Tea Party considers Fox News to be centrist, not conservative. I should know. I'm a Tea Party person myself.

But on whether it matters at all where on the political spectrum a media outlet is in regards to our cause here - I consider CNN to be centrist leaning left and MSNBC to be extreme left. And you know what? I bloody don't give a rip - If it would help our cause here, I'd send these stories to them in a heartbeat to put WHATEVER spin on it they'd like as long as it gets our cause ATTENTION.

However - since the election is coming up on in the first week of November and we have until the end of November before the game closes, there may be enough time between those two points for a non-political story to gain some traction.

Of course this doesn't end on Nov 30th anyway.

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2012, 06:32:36 AM »
Hey Rae--I now am "officially" "NYT Bestselling author."  Came in this week at #20 on the NYT Bestsellers List.    :) So you can add that if you want.

And grats on that! Well-deserved!

Solaris

• Minion
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2012, 06:34:19 AM »
Much appreciate the effort to get this story rae. I hope that you can find another story given the very fact of the odd response you received. There has to be something worthwhile to investigate / comment about given the rather specific nature of the responses. It seems so interesting , in terms of what was said and all that was not said.

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2012, 06:57:03 AM »
I confess I am baffled.  H&K is a US based and run company.  NCSoft may be under the impression that if they hide in the bunker we will go away, but at this point H&K's bots have brought them all our posts and they have to know better.  They have to know that after Nov 30, the gloves come off and the playing dirty starts.  They have nothing to gain and everything to lose by remaining silent.

That's another thing - they have to know that although there have been some small amounts of playing dirty up till now, that the playerbase have largely been staying our hand per TonyV's wishes (and good sense). But if the game closes without them EVER talking to us AT ALL... Well - since we'll have nothing at all to lose at that point, the gloves will indeed come off.

Surely they understand that this closure is DIFFERENT from the other games they've closed? Surely they understand by now that the pressure that they've been under already is the merest hint of what will come? The bad press will continue and intensify. And it WILL affect their ability to release new products here in the West?

Do they seriously not GET it?

Did they not even NOTICE what happened in regards to Mass Effect 3? Mass Effect fans shamed ELECTRONIC ARTS into moving! EA got "worst company of the year" for that debacle. That's rather impressive.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/04/09/why-ea-won-the-worst-company-in-america-award/
http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2012/04/04/ea-is-the-worst-company-in-america-now-what/

After that, EA actually listened to and did something the fans wanted them to. Maybe not entirely the way the fans wanted or going as far as wanted. (The "4th Choice" is clearly a "Fuck You very much, yourself." to the fans.) But the Extended Cut DLC essentially saved Bioware Studio and EA from absolute Public Relations ruin.

Bioware is STILL dead to many gamers. But many more are simply wary but willing to see what happens with their future releases, where before it was close to unanimous among most fans that the Mass Effect franchise was pretty much dead. Now - well it at least has a chance. Bioware is still pretty much still going to be subsumed within EA because that's what EA does. But in terms of PR relations with the fans, things have been salvaged to the point that gamers and fans are at least willing to give future products a chance. There will probably not be the same willingness to pre-order things as before. Fans will probably wait for detailed reviews before buying. But they are at least not writing off future purchases of Mass Effect DLC and future games outright.

I wonder - could we do to NCSoft what Mass Effect fans did to EA? Garner them "Worst Company" status for next year?

If NCSoft keeps going the way they are, I'd say we certainly have a chance. They have a history almost as shady as EA. From all the games they've killed, to the way they treat their employees (The Glass Door reports) to the Richard Garriot Lawsuit that they lost.

So yes - we could DEFINITELY ramp up the negativity from here. NCSoft does indeed have everything to lose by ignoring us.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2012, 07:22:01 AM »
I've been very careful about the feminist bloggers I have sent Segev's press release to.  There are lots of them that I consider wackaloons...and many of them would be perfectly happy to have something else to go ballistic about.  I have not yet sent any of them the Boobs and Shame Gon Dance link and that made me ill, so I cannot imagine what it would do to them.  I have not yet unleashed that to....whatever parental group it is that goes bonkers every time they think they can link a video game to something terrible (need to research that).   

And I wonder how NCSoft would appreciate the perpetual "I urge you, do not buy NCSoft products, and this is why" forward I would put in Book 3 of Secret World Chronicles....because that will NEVER go away as long as the book is in print, nor can they issue a takedown notice on it.  Or the copy of the same "Do not buy" that would forever be on my website, and which I would ask you people to kindly Googlebomb for me so that it is the FIRST thing that comes up when someone does a Google search on "NCSoft."

And that's just the top few things on my "gloves are off" list. 

I know the rest of you have your own lists.

I was going to say "we probably can't wreck them"....but after reminding me about what happened to EA, I'm not so sure.  I do think that if they are serious about "realigning their focus" to the East, we can sure assist them with a boot to the butt.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2012, 08:51:52 AM »
That's another thing - they have to know that although there have been some small amounts of playing dirty up till now, that the playerbase have largely been staying our hand per TonyV's wishes (and good sense). But if the game closes without them EVER talking to us AT ALL... Well - since we'll have nothing at all to lose at that point, the gloves will indeed come off.

Surely they understand that this closure is DIFFERENT from the other games they've closed? Surely they understand by now that the pressure that they've been under already is the merest hint of what will come? The bad press will continue and intensify. And it WILL affect their ability to release new products here in the West?

Do they seriously not GET it?

Did they not even NOTICE what happened in regards to Mass Effect 3? Mass Effect fans shamed ELECTRONIC ARTS into moving! EA got "worst company of the year" for that debacle. That's rather impressive.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/04/09/why-ea-won-the-worst-company-in-america-award/
http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2012/04/04/ea-is-the-worst-company-in-america-now-what/

After that, EA actually listened to and did something the fans wanted them to. Maybe not entirely the way the fans wanted or going as far as wanted. (The "4th Choice" is clearly a "f--- You very much, yourself." to the fans.) But the Extended Cut DLC essentially saved Bioware Studio and EA from absolute Public Relations ruin.

Bioware is STILL dead to many gamers. But many more are simply wary but willing to see what happens with their future releases, where before it was close to unanimous among most fans that the Mass Effect franchise was pretty much dead. Now - well it at least has a chance. Bioware is still pretty much still going to be subsumed within EA because that's what EA does. But in terms of PR relations with the fans, things have been salvaged to the point that gamers and fans are at least willing to give future products a chance. There will probably not be the same willingness to pre-order things as before. Fans will probably wait for detailed reviews before buying. But they are at least not writing off future purchases of Mass Effect DLC and future games outright.

I wonder - could we do to NCSoft what Mass Effect fans did to EA? Garner them "Worst Company" status for next year?

If NCSoft keeps going the way they are, I'd say we certainly have a chance. They have a history almost as shady as EA. From all the games they've killed, to the way they treat their employees (The Glass Door reports) to the Richard Garriot Lawsuit that they lost.

So yes - we could DEFINITELY ramp up the negativity from here. NCSoft does indeed have everything to lose by ignoring us.
I think NCSoft considers it as an acceptable loss, since we don't have anything even remotely close to the numbers the "Hold the Line" ME3 action had (AKA millions of players that had been following the series for years).
And as an article said, the ME3 fans weren't the only reason they earned their top spot on that list, EA's pissed off people left and right for years - including all the times they've shoved Origins down their players throats in order to be able to play a game.

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2012, 09:03:21 AM »
I have not yet unleashed that to....whatever parental group it is that goes bonkers every time they think they can link a video game to something terrible (need to research that).   

In general I -despise- those people, like the mother that was blaming Manhunt for the fact that her drug dealing son got shot.
Surely it must have been the game's influence, and had nothing to do with all those shady connections he had.  :roll:
But when it comes to it - and CoH is shutdown without any light in the tunnel ahead, I'll have a good laugh if you give THOSE people a reason to go after NCSoft.

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2012, 01:06:10 PM »

I don't want to derail this conversation, so I will simply point out that the Tea Party considers Fox News to be centrist, not conservative. I should know. I'm a Tea Party person myself.

But on whether it matters at all where on the political spectrum a media outlet is in regards to our cause here - I consider CNN to be centrist leaning left and MSNBC to be extreme left. And you know what? I bloody don't give a rip - If it would help our cause here, I'd send these stories to them in a heartbeat to put WHATEVER spin on it they'd like as long as it gets our cause ATTENTION.

However - since the election is coming up on in the first week of November and we have until the end of November before the game closes, there may be enough time between those two points for a non-political story to gain some traction.

Of course this doesn't end on Nov 30th anyway.
As a Tea Party person myself, I have to agree with Atlantea, mostly. I think CNN is more left than center, personally; ABC is the only left-leaning one that has a well-done pretense of centrism in my experience. Fox is definitely to the right of the other major networks, and probably leans a bit right-of-center overall (I suspect because they see that there's a bigger audience chunk if they don't bother to compete with the other three for the center-left and far left), but their "token liberals" aren't ever saying anything different than the non-token ones in other networks...they just are being confronted by conservatives, which makes the message seem more right-leaning to those used only to CNN/MSNBC/ABC/CBS.

All of that, though? Even if you disagree 100%? Ignore it. Even if it becomes a footnote in "why companies are leaving the US" or somesuch, it gets mentioned. I don't care what network it's mentioned on. This isn't a political issue, in the sense of "electing politicians." We want PR. Our politics in this case is that of public image pressure on NCSoft. It's not left-wing or right-wing (though I'll admit to trying to quell certain fires I've seen that are voicing desires to see governmental action); it's business and PR.

And when the election is over, even if it was just a footnote before hand, that leaves most of a month for us to hit every news outlet we can find again, now that the big election season news cycles are dried up, and let them take that footnote that has already seeded in the public consciousness and grow it into a full story. I am a proud conservative, but in this fight I don't care which news outlets with what political leanings we talk to. They're all potential allies!

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2012, 03:43:16 PM »
I've been very careful about the feminist bloggers I have sent Segev's press release to.  There are lots of them that I consider wackaloons...and many of them would be perfectly happy to have something else to go ballistic about.  I have not yet sent any of them the Boobs and Shame Gon Dance link and that made me ill, so I cannot imagine what it would do to them.  I have not yet unleashed that to....whatever parental group it is that goes bonkers every time they think they can link a video game to something terrible (need to research that).   

And I wonder how NCSoft would appreciate the perpetual "I urge you, do not buy NCSoft products, and this is why" forward I would put in Book 3 of Secret World Chronicles....because that will NEVER go away as long as the book is in print, nor can they issue a takedown notice on it.  Or the copy of the same "Do not buy" that would forever be on my website, and which I would ask you people to kindly Googlebomb for me so that it is the FIRST thing that comes up when someone does a Google search on "NCSoft."

And that's just the top few things on my "gloves are off" list. 

I know the rest of you have your own lists.

I was going to say "we probably can't wreck them"....but after reminding me about what happened to EA, I'm not so sure.  I do think that if they are serious about "realigning their focus" to the East, we can sure assist them with a boot to the butt.

You've got quite a bit of leverage (moreso than most of us at least).  Everyone here is probably ready to something that is going to make NCsoft's skin crawl.  The problem is that I don't think NCSoft realizes it.  I doubt they understand that we're playing nice.  IF they do, however, they're probably taking it as a blessing and abusing it to the tune that since we're behaving, they don't have to do anything for us.  I am not saying we need to start getting dirty with them, at least not yet.  But it's important to understand that there is a possibility that they're taking advantage of our relatively clean movement.

And equally important to understand that they might be unaware (as of now at least) how bad things are going to get for them once the game goes down.

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2012, 03:49:00 PM »
As for the main topic, I am a little baffled.  They actually cited turning you down (for something you didn't ask for) because it was related to City of Heroes?  They basically said that they will not speak on the matter.  It seems to be their policy right now.  Since when is silence good damage control?  Unless they believe there is no damage, or at least none of consequence.

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2012, 04:04:04 PM »

What kind of an article are you going to go with, now that you essentially have nothing to go on from NCSoft but this?

Well, the article I pitched and that got greenlighted was a 'NC Soft's response to concerns from the community' piece. Now I guess the story is that NC Soft either can not, or will not go on the record about the options they explored and how they 'exhausted them'.  It'd be REALLY helpful if some of the investors who approached NC Soft are available to comment me and tell me what offers they put on the table, and the response they had from NC Soft (if it's commercially sensitive, I can assure anonymity, although obviously if you're willing to put your name out there, it looks like I'm not making it up.)

If I can PROVE that they've lied to their customers and the press, that would be so good that I'd probably have an orgasm. Just sayin'.

If I can't get that information, I can go with the information I have from the Facebook groups and these forums about investors who did go forward and didn't get a response, concerns raised by Save COH about the statement issued by NC Soft, that we put those concerns to NC Soft and they refused to comment, leading very realistic fears that they're up to their old tricks of not being exactly honest with their customers.

Which is..great for us, but not really great for the magazine I was originally aimed at. The editor has been understanding, thankfully, but this sort of piece isn't really for them.

Once I've got what information I can get, and if I factor in the way they handled the Tabla Rasa closure, it might prick up a few '..is NC Soft at it again..?' news-senses in the gaming pressing, mebbe. I'll do is put together a press release which I'll post here and once everyone's fact-checked it and pointed out the obvious stuff I should've added in.

Once it's been thoroughly vetted, I can ping it off to the gaming press (I've kept the email addresses of all the writers I've spotted writing stuff on the closure of City of Heroes) and there's a website here called It's Public Now (or something like that), which allows people to publish news and press releases. I know the site is trawled by the mainstream media here, so maybe they'll pick up on it, too.

I really have no idea which US outlets might be interested in it (sorry, your leaning to the left, leaning to the right thing sounds like a dance to me. I was totally lost :-p), but once the press release is sorted and if Tony doesn't freak out when he sees it, you guys can send it to whoever you think it might be interesting to, and obviously it can be tweaked to appeal to any number of places.

For example, the fact that so many websites/magazines just read the NC Soft release and went 'oh. Ok' and published it without digging could be turned into an interesting piece on decreasing standards of journalism or something, the fact that they ignored a New York times best selling author might make a nice angle for various writing/fiction websites and outlets, the fact that they won't issue a response about job losses might be useful to more mainstream news. There's probably some politics in there somewhere, I dunno :-p. 

Hell, the fact that a company has a PR firm that they're paying gazillions, and a corporate communications response director who is probably paid more a week than I earn in a year and it took them..14 days to respond to a query with the weirdest comment ever could probably be a nice angle for someone, but I'm not sure who.

This weekend is pretty busy - we're in a strong position for some follow-up press releases - the Extralife Gameathon is something we should be issuing a release about once we know how much has been raised, and hopefully that'll tide us over nicely until we can get this..whatever it is knocked into some sort of shape.

Also, I have the email address of NC Soft's Corporate Communications Director, if it'd help anyone. TonyV? :)

Unfortunately, today is a bit on the heavy side, but I'm hoping to get something down properly tomorrow/Saturday, which I'll post up for your help in smashing into shape, if that's cool with you guys?
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

chasearcanum

• Boss
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2012, 04:23:46 PM »

For users that don't know what to do to help in 'googlebombing'  simply start by using links to Victoria's site in forum discussions, blogs, social media, etc  when discussing NCSoft, City of Heroes, and the shutdown.  It would be most effective if the "NCSOFT" word itself was in the hyperlinked text, but in general, google uses the context around the hyperlink while indexing, so just appearing in the same sentence will help.   

Do NOT use identical wording cross-posted across.  Google's gotten many measures in place to reduce the impact of blatant "bombing", and evidence of trying to "spam" search results actually can reduce your search results. 

Unfortunately, since NCSoft has the domain name matching this word, google will likely put enough weight on the domain name that we won't be able to grab the absolute top spot.  it would be easier to get something like "Save CoH" or "GameKiller" directed to a specific search result, as there's no popular high-traffic already associated with the word.

I'm all for trying, though.

For those curious, the googlebombing artform has been a great source of geek fun ever since it was discovered that "more evil than satan himself" had Microsoft and AOL as their top results.  Other notables include this custom 404 for searches for "weapons of mass destruction," and the Official White House biography page of Pres George W Bush as the top result for "miserable failure."  As a cautionary note, supporters of Pres Bush tried to counter by getting then-candidate Senator Kerry to be the top results for "Waffles" and "flip-flop" and failed at both- they were unable to break the strength of the brand name for either of those (strangely, wikipedia now tops both of those words instead.

Luna Eclypse

• New Efforts # 9,000!
  • Boss
  • Follow my on Twitter @LunaEclypse
    • Luna Eclypse on VirtueVerse
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2012, 06:31:30 PM »
Has anyone approached The Escapist website with coverage of SaveCoH and the underhanded dealings of NCsoft or is that just not their bag? They get a hefty amount of traffic from the game community that it could open the eyes of our fellow gamers not familiar with what's going on. Or how about Jim Sterling? He's all about verbally tearing down terrible game companies.
"The Remarkable Dazzling"
Luna Eclypse

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2012, 10:09:31 PM »
They're on my list. Kotaku (spelling?), too.
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2012, 10:43:31 PM »
Here's another angle to consider for your story:

NCSoft is not only doing themselves a disservice by their continued silence. I suggest that in the long run they are poisoning the well of the ENTIRE MMO industry.

When gamers really, truly as a group begin to understand the fact that at ANY time for ANY reason - even a NONSENSICAL reason - a game can be taken away - 

When it becomes crystal clear that your characters, your guild, all the work you put in - the achievements you have made, the bases (or housing or Starbases) you have worked so hard for -  that none of it is actually yours and that you don't own ANY of it.

If players of MMOs really, seriously, have the thin veil of illusion of "this is mine" ripped unceremoniously away and that it can go away at any time without so much as an apology or even get an answer to the question - "WHY?"

Well then. How many MMO players will think to themselves: "What is the point of paying into ANY MMO? For ANY reason?"

What is the backbone of real moneymaking in both subscription and free-to-play games?

Is it the casual gamer who plays the game for a couple of months and then moves on to the next shiny?

Or is it the amount of emotional investment of the long term committed customer that a game can retain?

NCSoft is poisoning the well of the latter in favor of the former. THAT is what they have to answer for. They will manage to lose not only the trust in THEIR brand, but the brand of the ENTIRE MMO industry once people figure it out.

Mentalshock

• Boss
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2012, 11:01:58 PM »
Here's another angle to consider for your story:

NCSoft is not only doing themselves a disservice by their continued silence. I suggest that in the long run they are poisoning the well of the ENTIRE MMO industry.

When gamers really, truly as a group begin to understand the fact that at ANY time for ANY reason - even a NONSENSICAL reason - a game can be taken away - 

When it becomes crystal clear that your characters, your guild, all the work you put in - the achievements you have made, the bases (or housing or Starbases) you have worked so hard for -  that none of it is actually yours and that you don't own ANY of it.

If players of MMOs really, seriously, have the thin veil of illusion of "this is mine" ripped unceremoniously away and that it can go away at any time without so much as an apology or even get an answer to the question - "WHY?"

Well then. How many MMO players will think to themselves: "What is the point of paying into ANY MMO? For ANY reason?"

What is the backbone of real moneymaking in both subscription and free-to-play games?

Is it the casual gamer who plays the game for a couple of months and then moves on to the next shiny?

Or is it the amount of emotional investment of the long term committed customer that a game can retain?

NCSoft is poisoning the well of the latter in favor of the former. THAT is what they have to answer for. They will manage to lose not only the trust in THEIR brand, but the brand of the ENTIRE MMO industry once people figure it out.

I believe metaphorically speaking, this is the Chemical/Biological Weapon of PR.    That fact will raise such a horrid stink about the situation, that it's basically scorching the earth.    It reminds me that we are not doing this just so that we can keep playing the game, but that the injustice of the situation is laid open.