Author Topic: "Memories" - The Evangel Farewell Video  (Read 16159 times)

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
Re: "Memories" - The Evangel Farewell Video
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2012, 03:48:00 AM »
I have a demo of the most amazing base I have ever seen for you, Evangel.  It's a castle.  A real castle, with 3 levels, a moat, a dungeon, hidden areas....I've seen a lot of bases and this one blows me away.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Risha

• Boss
  • Dancing at the end of the World
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2012, 08:11:58 PM »
Thank you.  I'm not quite ready to say goodbye.  I may never be ready to say goodbye.  Lovely video, though.
Writer of Fantasy and Fantasy Romance

antarcticaa

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2012, 05:03:15 AM »
I needed this video tonight.  Missing the game more than words can tell.  Your work brought back such sweet memories.  CoX and especially the community we had was a rare and special grace. 

redgiant

• Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2013, 02:24:59 AM »
I still watch this video way too much. It is just a masterpiece.

While watching it for what is probably the 30th time today, I noticed something - a little thing - that just made me stop and shake my head about the scope of CoH.

I had completely forgotten about the security cameras on the ceiling scanning back and forth. And I idly thought to myself "I guess the security guards who used to diligently monitor those cameras had to find new jobs too."

Somewhere, Paragon City is still alive.

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2013, 07:13:19 AM »
Somewhere, Paragon City is still alive.

Indeed. It is only our portal to it that's gone missing.

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2014, 05:21:48 AM »
/Necroing this thread to let people know that this video was pulled at some point because of a copyright claim from Disney.

Here's hoping that it gets resurrected in some other way, as it was a damn fine video that'd be a shame to have lost forever.

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2014, 09:56:44 AM »
What.
Copyright trolling at its' lowest...
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2014, 05:44:18 PM »
Indeed, darn it, I don't have a copy of this one.  Can the author upload it to DailyMotion or something?

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2014, 06:09:57 PM »
Its about time to move away from youtube... the copyright claims seem to be getting far too common.

pogoman

• Vox Populi
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2014, 09:29:20 PM »
Sadly, I never got to see this video. Now youtube is saying that they took it down due to copyright infringement from Disney?

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2014, 10:22:07 PM »
Indeed, if anyone has a copy, please let us know.

fscotth

• Underling
  • Paragon City Forever
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2014, 12:19:22 PM »
I have a copy of the video, but to warn everyone in advance, it's 188MB.  I'd be happy to provide a link (please PM me with your e-mail) to those who would like to download it from Dropbox.

We have so many phenomenally talented people in our community that have been inspired by Paragon City, and I'm grateful to those such as Evangel, Samuraiko, Leandro, Angelus Animi, and the dozens of others who made and posted videos both before and after December 1, 2012.  Having those memories is part of what's made the past two years tolerable without Paragon.  Of course, the gift of Codewalker's engineering genius (Icon) was also deeply appreciated, but I find I can't spend too much time there.  As much as creating characters and costumes is enjoyable, without NPCs, enemies, missions, TFs, SG bases, trains, war walls, doors, or, well, the rest of you all to interact with, it just doesn't satisfy the desire to play again.

I'm also grateful to Tony Vasquez and everyone at Titan who has hosted our community, helped keep hope alive, played traffic cop to the endless parade of trolls, and helped (directly and indirectly) facilitate the possibility for a return to Paragon City someday - both since The Announcement in 2012, as well as in 2014.  I recognize that Nate Downes and The Others who are part of this latest venture, either directly or helping behind the scenes, may as yet have a long way to go, but if it's not obvious already from the page counts, you have thousands of us with our support and wallets at the ready when you are.

Thanks to each and every one of you for your efforts.
Captain Kyle Arvida of the Iron Alliance on Protector

redgiant

• Lieutenant
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2014, 10:10:58 AM »
I have a copy of this with the original Moving On soundtrack, and it is 42 mb.

Let me know if you need it uploaded.

It is still a masterpiece, 2 years on.

The original theme is perfectly cued to the video, and it helps make certain moments unbelievably emotional:

- starting with a subtle background of city sounds and his footsteps outside, before the theme starts at the shrine
- the first time you realize 'OMG he is using Moving On, I'm not sure I can make it through watching this unscathed'
- as the music starts and the room slowly rotates, you just know an epic yet upsetting montage is coming
- then the embedded scenes of his memorable fights fade in (Adobe After Effects?), so well done
- the environment shots start, I always love the dock's red light blinking in time to the song's single note
- the emptiness of Pocket D, Perez Park, the long street, hospital, Icon slowly panned over, brilliant
- Drenched Donuts as the stringed instruments add in
- remembering his humble beginnings, and trying to hit a cop on the street

The the real eye-killer part begins:

- he starts to walk away from the shrine, with a slow side pan and turn through the library that is JUST PERFECT - here is where I start losing it
- the first time I saw him remove his mask and gloves, I literally cried uncontrollably, which made the following scene even more emotional (and it didn't need any help)
- the thematic climax of the music fitted to him being cheered and saluted by his fellow superheroes, supergroup mates, and Statesman
- the silent Mark IV's standing guard ceremoniously always reminds me of how epic the visuals always were - such impressive and massive robots
- 'Birthplace of Tomorrow' rotating as the music begins its sunset, reminds me of the final scene for TNG's All Good Things finale
- one last montage of his crime-fighting days with his friends - I am partial to the short clip of him sprinting down a street and standing guard on a hillside with friends, and the music that accompanies it
- passing under Atlas one last time, and out to the waiting car - and he stops, looks up at Atlas and we know it is the final sequence
- the statue in the pond, monorail station, Wentworths, the blast doors to Perez Park, hospital, elevated highway, Steel Canyon then oh man Independence Port bridge, Ouroboros, and the final shot ... Talos Island
- the final car door thump and song note as it ends

Since it is made in-game, you have to giggle and smile at how he turns.  :P

The nostalgia of this video works at multiple levels: his own memories as a character 'growing up' in Paragon City, your memories of those places he shows, and even further back in time your memories of how some of those places have changed and often become emptier over the game's lifetime. Remember when Perez Park was filled with folks xp'ing? Or Founder's Falls by the water? Simply forming a group and going hunting was a challenge and lots of fun, long before so much was added to CoH.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 10:21:28 AM by redgian »