Author Topic: I feel petty, but...  (Read 18179 times)

Randomvector

• Lieutenant
I feel petty, but...
« on: October 29, 2012, 07:53:12 PM »
Edited the wikipedia entry on NCsoft to add that it is the #mmokiller on twitter.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
Re: I feel petty, but...
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 09:15:54 PM »
I can't find the page, but the sentence needs a link to the list, like in the words "game closures," or something.  I'll keep digging. :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 07:51:03 AM »

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 08:26:46 AM »
I think it's well enough done.  Missing an o in "only" though.  Near the top of the section on Paragon Studios and CoH's closure.

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!

Kosmos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 09:47:00 AM »
If you do any more updates on it you could add that NCsoft lost the appeal, and another $4M, in the Garriott case. The notice that they were appealing the first decision is the last sentence before the CoH entry. Better to lead into the CoH section on another down note for them.

Kosmos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 10:15:45 AM »
On a tangent, it says NCsoft currently has an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau. The BBB rating criteria are (taken from the BBB Wikipedia entry)...

Build Trust ("maintain a positive track record in the marketplace"), Advertise Honestly, Tell the Truth, Be Transparent, Honor Promises, Be Responsive (address marketplace disputes), Safeguard Privacy (protect consumer data) and Embody Integrity.

I think the first five of those should definitely take a hit with the CoH closure.

I suggested to a number of friends that they buy boxed sets to restore VIP status after Sept 1. Some succeeded, some didn't get their boxes until after Sept 19th. As far as I know NCsoft made no effort to pass information down the retail chain to let stores know they were going to invalidate all CoH codes on the 19th (and even if they did, 19 days warning seems like pretty short notice to go all the way down to the retail level). That seems to be a legitimate BBB complaint. I didn't get a penny in refund for a boxed set code I applied August 10th. Which seems like it should be a legitimate complaint too (though trivial).

I guess I'm feeling petty today too; I think NCsoft should get their BBB complaint total bumped a few thousand. They definitely don't deserve top grades for honesty and transparency, and getting a top grade for trustworthiness is just laughable.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 11:21:06 AM »
I've filed BBB grievances before.  It's easy and can be done online.  I do believe that canceling our product out from under us with no warning at all would constitute grounds for a grievance.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 12:54:02 PM »
I've filed BBB grievances before.  It's easy and can be done online.  I do believe that canceling our product out from under us with no warning at all would constitute grounds for a grievance.
A possible call to action?

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 01:03:20 PM »
Please tell me I'm not the only one who saw the subject line and thought

"I feel petty.... Oh so petty..."

Soundtrack

• Boss
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 01:14:39 PM »

Is your name Maria, by chance? ;)

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 01:25:40 PM »
I was thinking more Jack Nicholson and Adam Sandler, but whatever works. :)

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 01:53:49 PM »

First thing that popped into my head. :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Zolgar

• Grand Poobah of Plan Z
  • Boss
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 04:52:49 PM »
I thought the very same thing.. (about the 'I feel petty')

Also, whoever edited the Wikipedia entry to have the note about the loss of the appeal in the RG case, it's lacking references and kinda looks super unprofessional, which can come back and bite us on the ass something fierce.

We obviously have a vendetta against NCSoft. If Wikipedia's people get the idea that we're using Wikipedia to promote said vendetta, they will start deleting any changes made in regards to NCSoft and the CoH closure.

I am part of another group that dealt with that crap for years, some of you may have heard of the (now retired) musician Doctor Steel? A few of his fans took his person too seriously and kept doing the Wikipedia article about that, and about his goal of taking over the world etc. and Wikipedia would delete it when they did that (valid), but it got to the point that people were uploading the same article as soon as Wikipedia deleted it.. and finally Wikipedia hit the point that no matter what the article was, if it was about Doctor Steel it got deleted.. it took us years to actually get a real, legitimate article up to stay.
Obviously, we don't want to piss Wikipedia off the same way. :p

omegaultima

• Underling
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2012, 05:02:21 PM »
back to the tangent, BBB complaints seem to be a good idea, if for nothing else than the fact that they're outright lying to us all about their efforts to sell the game.

Kosmos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2012, 07:44:50 PM »
Also, whoever edited the Wikipedia entry to have the note about the loss of the appeal in the RG case, it's lacking references and kinda looks super unprofessional, which can come back and bite us on the ass something fierce.

This is the reason I didn't update it myself; I simply don't know the Wikipedia standards and practices.

Possible reference links on the appeal finding...

Shack News (this one seems most to the point)
Gamepolitics' article on the decision
Industry Gamers
Gamasutra's article (not as clean or concise as the previous three)
411mania.com's brief notice (strangely, this is under Film Reviews on a pop culture site rather than on a gaming site)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 10:20:18 PM by Kosmos »

Kosmos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2012, 08:54:53 PM »
There is also The findlaw article which explains in detail stuff as well. Sure, it is full of legalese, but it is as close as to the horses mouth as you are going to get.

I think two references would be the way to go: one of the concise game news sites and then the legalese. The court documents are interesting reading and add weight to the reference and should most certainly be there, but lack value to the casual reader. So I think having one of the more user friendly references as well would be good.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 10:10:23 PM by Kosmos »

Randomvector

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2012, 12:43:18 AM »
Added the findlaw article as a reference/citation.
It is the most "authoritative" for the extra 4 million in damages.

Solaris

• Minion
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2012, 01:28:51 AM »
Well to the OP, hey, you wrote the truth. No shame there =]

malonkey1

• Elite Boss
  • A person who does stuff.
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2012, 01:55:48 PM »
There is also The findlaw article which explains in detail stuff as well. Sure, it is full of legalese, but it is as close as to the horses mouth as you are going to get.

Uh, I thought we weren't supposed to look gift horses in the mouth?
BadWolf: "The point that JaguarX is trying to make, of course, is that City of Heroes is like a tree. And Google is like a Toyota...Corolla...? Which would make NCSoft a trespasser, shot by...um, Mister T...which is good, because diplomacy...?"

The internet is full of Comedy Gold.