Author Topic: I feel petty, but...  (Read 18182 times)

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
Re: I feel petty, but...
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2012, 05:20:38 PM »
Uh, I thought we weren't supposed to look gift horses in the mouth?
Different horse mouths we're talking here.  You're thinking of "looking a gift horse in the mouth" while cmgangrel is talking about "hearing it straight from the horse's mouth."

I'd get into the details of the fables responsible for those idioms, but that would be a bit of a derail.

Quinch

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2012, 05:26:52 PM »
No, the fable about the deer ale is a completely different one...

{dives for cover}

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2012, 06:42:12 PM »
Also, whoever edited the Wikipedia entry to have the note about the loss of the appeal in the RG case, it's lacking references and kinda looks super unprofessional, which can come back and bite us on the ass something fierce.

That was me. I didn't have time to add the references, so I left it for someone else to do. Looks like people have found the references and added at least one, so that's good.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2012, 07:22:35 PM »
No, the fable about the deer ale is a completely different one...

{dives for cover}
*rolls up news paper and starts looking for Quinch*
Now, now, if he's asking for ale, you shouldn't roll up a newspaper. He obviously just needs to quinch his thirst.  8)

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2012, 10:27:58 PM »
Now, now, if he's asking for ale, you shouldn't roll up a newspaper. He obviously just needs to quinch his thirst.  8)
I get yelled at when I do that.  ???
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

shadeovblack

• Minion
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2012, 02:44:55 AM »
Please tell me I'm not the only one who saw the subject line and thought

"I feel petty.... Oh so petty..."

I feel vicious, malicious, and cruel...

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2012, 03:59:25 AM »
Shade, you inspired me LOL

I feel petty,
Oh, so petty,
I feel vicious, malicious, and cruel!
And I pity
Anyone who thinks that I'm a fool..

Fee like maiming,
Feel like harming
It's alarming how much harning I feel
And so petty
That I hardly can believe I'm real.

See the petty girl in that mirror there:
Who can that bitter girl be?
Such a petty face,
Such a petty dress,
Such a petty scowl,
Such a petty me!

I feel scummy
And deflated,
Feel like shaking my fist in the air,
For I'm dissed..
By NCSoft...NOT FAIR!

La la la la . . .

I feel petty,
Oh, so petty
That the city is taken from me.
A committee
Should be organized to set it free.

La la la la . . .

I feel dizzy,
In a tizzy,
I think it would be perfectly fine,
If the head man,
Of  NCSoft  would just resign!

Such a petty me!
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Kheprera

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2012, 04:04:26 AM »
That is awesome.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2012, 04:07:27 AM »
You know this is one of the things that distinguishes the community here on Titan.  Instead of being constantly stuck in a downer and a rage pool, every so often someone comes in with something clever and funny like this and lets us all have a good laugh, then we can get back to work feeling rejuvenated.

Well done, my friend.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2012, 04:27:18 AM »
VV....your post just made my heart smile, and I am honored. Thank you; I have always enjoyed making people laugh.

;D
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2012, 04:30:11 AM »
Angels and ministers of grace, defend us. :P
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Roderick

• Minion
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2012, 06:06:30 AM »
I don't know if anyone else noticed this, but in the opening paragraph of the Wikipedia article, it says that NCSoft is a publisher of MMO games, then goes on to list six games in their examples... Two of which are closed*, and one which is closing.

I would assume that these games were picked because they were representative of the company, just like someone talking about Blizzard would mention Warcraft, Starcraft, and Diablo. In fact, in recent years, most of NCSoft's promotional material has had characters from Lineage II, City of Heroes and Aion on them, often with Statesman front and center. That may be because I'm seeing material with a North American bias - Korean material may not put such a focus on States - but it does say to me that City is either their biggest, or one of their biggest products in the NA market.

*I counted Lineage as a closed game, because it is, in NA. But I think I heard that it still has servers running in Korea? Either way, the article should either say "Lineage II" or "the Lineage series".

Ampithere

• Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2012, 12:54:45 PM »
Uh, I thought we weren't supposed to look gift horses in the mouth?

Technically that's a literal statement. When someone gave you a horse as a gift it was considered rude to check the health of the horse by looking in its mouth. Doing so implied that you did not trust the person in question to give you a healthy horse.  :P
@Rorn

Most recently active as Blue Baron

Guardian Server

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2012, 01:32:36 PM »
*I counted Lineage as a closed game, because it is, in NA. But I think I heard that it still has servers running in Korea? Either way, the article should either say "Lineage II" or "the Lineage series".

Lineage I is not only still active in Korea, but IIRC makes as much or more as Lineage II does. It's one of their more popular games there and accounts for a significant chunk of NCSoft's revenues.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2012, 06:31:54 PM »
Edited the wikipedia entry on NCsoft to add that it is the #mmokiller on twitter.

Uhm on a small note, I think somone came in behind you and removed MMOkiller statement on the page.

Not sure if someone beat me to it to pointing that out, I only skimmed a few replies.

I know it was there earlier as I hada decent laugh about it but now it seems to be gone.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2012, 06:40:14 PM »
From the page's history:

(cur | prev) 12:50, 1 November 2012‎ 199.197.130.216 (talk)‎ . . (18,844 bytes) (-247)‎ . . (Removed line from introduction paragraph that was disrupting the neutrality of this article. There is a conscious effort to smear NCSoft in progress from this forum - http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,6034.0.html) (undo)

Honestly, I'm surprised it took that long.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2012, 07:01:39 PM »
Well, it would seem the correct response would be to properly edit the article then to reflect that this effort exists and why.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2012, 07:04:54 PM »
You'll need good citations in order for it to stick.  And not all sources are considered neutral and citation worthy by wikipedia regulars.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2012, 07:12:06 PM »
At which point it's probably best to take the risky but high road of preparing the edits, getting ready to submit them, and then contacting the guys who RUN wikipedia to let them know what they are, what sources are being used, and why, and warn that there is likely to be a wiki war over it if they don't step in. Note that you're sending this note out of respect for them and their site, but that while you have a personal stake in the information getting out there, you want it to be true and accurate and you do not want those who would suppress truth to use "well they have a vendetta and I won't admit I work for NCSoft's PR department" as an excuse to suppress it.

In doing this, you invite the wikipedia moderators to nip a problem in the bud, you show them that you're NOT trying to start a wiki war that will cause them hours of hassle, and respect them enough to let them judge the merits of your reporting of fact. It's risky, because they might take the lazy and/or corrupt route of siding with not changing it (corrupt is a strong charge; it's not really LIKELY the wikipedia directors are somehow personally affiliated with NCSoft), but if you do it right, the payoff is that they might make the article moderated AFTER allowing or putting in your change, making it hard to impossible to strip the change out.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2012, 08:19:32 PM »
First of all, someone has added a couple of paragraphs about the closure of CoH and Paragon, riddled with references (props if you're reading this). Second, I'm looking for the Wikipedia page that lists the closed MMOs, because it had more like 21, of which only 4 (not counting CoH) were listed. One more thing to double fact-check before we start posting information.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."