Author Topic: A couple of PMs...  (Read 2435 times)

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
A couple of PMs...
« on: October 31, 2012, 10:58:47 PM »
So this has been long enough ago that I figured I'd share it with you all.  In mid- to late-2010, I started having back pains.  Not the normal kind of "I threw my back out" pains, though it started that way.  It just kept getting worse and worse until I could barely walk.  After seeing several doctors, I ended up at the Atlanta Spine Institute where I was lucky enough to find Dr. James.  After a mylegram CT scan, he diagnosed me as having a severely pinched nerve root due to a herniated disc on one side and a bone spur (that didn't show up in other MRIs that I had) on the other.  I was in constant agony, and without surgical intervention, it wasn't going to get better.

So in January 2011, I ended up in Saint Joseph's Hospital to have a discectomy and laminectomy and to have my L5-S1 vertebra fused.  Until that time, the most severe procedure I'd ever undergone was LASIK surgery in 2001, and I had certainly never been admitted to a hospital or cut on for anything before.  This was HUGE to me, and I was a bit concerned, to say the least.  I wasn't really scared; I was in so much pain all the time that I mainly just wanted to get it over with so I could (hopefully!) get on with my life.  Still, as far as surgeries go, this is not the one you want to start with!

Anyway, before I went under the knife, I sent a PM to Avatea and War Witch, just to let them know that I had made arrangements in case something went horribly wrong (which I didn't expect, but still...) for ownership of the Titan Network to be transferred, and that I had made arrangements in my will for various other things pertaining to the game.  I ended by writing to them:

Again, I'm sorry if this comes off as a bit morbid. I really expect all of this to be a non-issue. Still, you know what they say, hope for the best and plan for the worst, and I just didn't want you to get hit all of a sudden with non-me people asking you to do weird things with no background or context and no way to personally confirm with me that it's on the level.

Wish me luck, or if you don't believe in luck, wish me favorable statistical variance,
--TonyV

I guess I kinda expected a "Good luck!" message or something of that sort, but what I got back from War Witch in particular actually really moved me:

Since I have faith, I'll be sure to pray for you, the doctor's guiding hand, and a speedy recovery. It is a good and wonderful thing that you do, a labour of love, and I'll pray that you can continue to do it. We are all blessed by the personal time and effort that people put into websites because they love the game. (I know this, because I've done it, and I spent HOURS on it and days and months. It truly is a labour of love. Especially since I didn't get paid for it way back in those early 90s years.)

So, I do wish you a favorable statistical variance OR luck, whichever appeals to you the most for your peace of mind. And for my peace of mind, I'll let it rest at God's feet since I know He's got it all together.

To be honest, that is why I have such affection for the Paragon Studios staff, and is one of the reasons that I love City of Heroes so much.  Some people dismiss this as "just a game," but I've always been impressed by how it was so much more to the people working on it.  These PMs, the warmth and camaraderie at the Player Summits, the joking and the playing, it all just goes to show how good we really have had it the past eight and a half years.  I've played a lot of games over the years, and I know that most development studios care about "the community" in an abstract kind of way.  But I've never, ever felt like the people who wrote them cared so personally and, in many cases, individually about its community.  I remember thinking how special it was that the tutorial contact Coyote was named after a beta tester who passed away, and in January 2011, it especially hit home very personally with Melissa's message.

Incidentally, it took six weeks of rehab after the surgery to build up the muscles, but I've had zero back pain since.  When I was out at the last Player Summit, I took a week of vacation and did a lot of sightseeing in San Francisco, walking up and down the hills, climbing umpteen stairs, loafing around Alcatraz, until my feet were numb--but my back never once twinged.  As far as I can tell, I'm good as new.  :)

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
Re: A couple of PMs...
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 11:04:33 PM »
Well, that settles it.  Paragon Studios and its devs were the best game development studio ever.  Why?  Simply because they're fantastic people first, and fantastic game devs second.

Which just makes the fact that they've been closed and gutted by NC all the more painful.

avelworldcreator

• Elite Boss
  • Missing Worlds Media co-founder/senior developer.
    • Basketcase Software
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 11:05:47 PM »
Nice story. I'm glad you are doing well (and to brave the SF hills after that too!). It explains much about your attitudes about this site, CoX and Paragon Studio's staff. Hope you continue to do as well.
Missing World Media primary co-founder, senior developer, UI/UX acting lead, and software toolsmith.

Soundtrack

• Boss
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 11:26:22 PM »
Thanks for your story, Tony. I'm very happy to hear that you're relieved of the excruciating back pain you once experienced.

Glad to hear WW's prayers worked, too. :)

And you're right...this is about as much "just a game" as San Francisco is "just a town".

Electric-Knight

• Elite Boss
  • E-K and Malfaz taking a break, drinking tea
    • www.pauldamonthomas.com
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 12:52:30 AM »
First off, so glad to hear that you're surgery was so successful! I have a longtime friend that went through that kind of pain for years before having similar surgery done.

Secondly, about Melissa and company... Ahyup. Not that your particular case isn't a bit more compelling and compassionate, but, seriously, I saw this aspect of them just through the internet, but then especially when I first met them at the first East Coast Meet And Greet in Boston a few years ago (PAX East, I believe).

Like I said, I already had pegged Melissa and several others as such kind, down-to-earth and truly caring people, but meeting them in person and having extremely pleasant exchanges there sealed the deal in my mind (and heart).
I even had a few follow-up email communications with Melissa and she truly is a delight
Matt too was a pleasure to talk and hang with at the PAX East M&G. For that matter, everyone I've met from there has been that way. Avatea especially so as well. Those are just the three that I had more interactions with in person (and online afterward), so it resonates with me for them more so than with the others, but I felt it would be the same throughout many of them over there.

And I can never let this topic go without just mentioning that I also believe that their talent and work/product has been equally impressive and innovative. Just one of those aspects would make this entire situation a very bitter pill to swallow... but, both combined is what continues to gnaw at me.

Anyway, thanks for sharing, Tony!
And thanks for springing me from Alcatraz!

--
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
- Baron Munchausen

http://www.pauldamonthomas.com/

Moonfyire101

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 05:13:28 AM »
wow...ty for sharing that. I didn'tknow yooue went through that and that is just amazing that the paragon staff was thers like that...they are amazing and so are you

chaparralshrub

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 05:20:43 AM »
Well, that settles it.  Paragon Studios and its devs were the best game development studio ever.  Why?  Simply because they're fantastic people first, and fantastic game devs second.

Which just makes the fact that they've been closed and gutted by NC all the more painful.

Well, I would like to think that they are not the best gaming studio ever, only because there are other gaming studios who are composed of people who are just as nice as Paragon.

Yes, I am loyal to Paragon. And yes, I've been playing Star Trek Online recently, because that's where some of Paragon's devs went. And I really, really, hope that the rest of Paragon is able to make a new game, hopefully a spiritual successor to CoH, since they love it so much. :)

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 05:34:15 AM »
Well, I would like to think that they are not the best gaming studio ever, only because there are other gaming studios who are composed of people who are just as nice as Paragon.
Well, then I'll rephrase - they're the best dev studio I've ever had the pleasure of playing a game from.  I've yet to see any others that seem to care about their players so much.

And I have played a lot of MMOs.

Roderick

• Minion
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 06:25:52 AM »
I remember thinking how special it was that the tutorial contact Coyote was named after a beta tester who passed away

I remember  when I first heard about Coyote how amazing and cool that seemed. Now, it isn't so amazing - I've gotten so used to our devs being such wonderful people that it feels commonplace. However, it's still cool, every time.

No matter what happens to this game, no matter where the devs end up, this will always be my game, and they will always be our devs.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 07:29:23 PM »
I was reading one of the "Motivational" posters today and it said the following:

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.

I would say that our Devs and our community already did that now I want the quote to read this way:

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can save the world. Indeed, they are the only thing that ever could.

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2012, 09:11:08 PM »
After my experience here on the Save Paragon City board and with this movement, I'm not all that surprised.  I don't mean to devalue what she said to you at all.  It's just the kind of warmth and support I would expect from this community, and it's nice knowing that our developers are the same way.  Thanks for sharing, Tony.

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2012, 09:48:00 PM »
After my experience here on the Save Paragon City board and with this movement, I'm not all that surprised.  I don't mean to devalue what she said to you at all.  It's just the kind of warmth and support I would expect from this community, and it's nice knowing that our developers are the same way.  Thanks for sharing, Tony.
I've always considered a gaming community as a combination of the players that play the game, the community reps, and the game developers. With that being said, it stands to reason that the developers would be upstanding and caring people, since the CoH community, as a whole, was a standup and caring community. Granted, there are always exceptions, not that I found any in the developers that posted on the forums. :)
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms