Author Topic: Anybody else affected by Sandy?  (Read 2293 times)

Synodontis

• Minion
Anybody else affected by Sandy?
« on: November 01, 2012, 02:08:50 AM »
I am in NJ.  I played CoH to distract myself from the storm... *right* up until a transformer exploded right underneath my window, and then I lost power.  It's been cold and dark, but power is finally back tonight (wed).  A miracle.  We were very lucky, no flooding , no downed trees, just lost power a few days.  I lost two days of work, but we're back in business now.  Anybody else affected by this big storm?  (I was sort of freaking about not getting power... worrying about how we just have a month left to play, and that might get eaten into by the weather!) (Again, I am very lucky.  A lot of people have a lot worse to worry about).

XD

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
Re: Anybody else affected by Sandy?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 02:32:56 AM »
I got pretty lucky too.  It was predicted to go as far inland as Ohio, but by the time it anything reached us here it had mostly blew itself out.  We had some brief power outages (no more than an hour or two), lost water for a couple days, got our first real snow of the year, and we barely avoided being flooded out by the creek near my apartment building, due to rain upstream.  Thankfully, it receded just in time.

I was more worried for my Mom, who is half-paralyzed from a stroke and lives in a nursing home situated right out in the middle of what used to be farmland.  It's flat and there's no drainage out there; any water on the ground stays on the ground until it soaks in or dries.  Fortunately, she didn't see enough of the storm to even knock out the power; thank goodness for small miracles.

On the other hand, I'm really feeling for those further east who got hit harder by it.  I've been donating some nonperishables to charities.  I don't have much to give, but I do want to share what I got.

Chaoticrainbow

• Underling
Re: Anybody else affected by Sandy?
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 06:26:19 AM »
I haven't had power for days now here in Ocean County, NJ.  We're doing ok as far as food and warmth go, but my husband and I are bummed out that it could be days before we get to jump back in the game and make the most of the time we have left.  I know that as hard as we were hit, some areas were hit even harder (at least our house is still standing..).