Author Topic: I voted.  (Read 4176 times)

chaparralshrub

• Elite Boss
I voted.
« on: November 02, 2012, 03:33:03 AM »
Today, I sent in my absentee ballot in the 2012 U.S. elections. I have to say that the closure of CoH, combined with things I've read from NCSoft employees about Korean culture, have influenced my vote regarding business and foreign policy.

avelworldcreator

• Elite Boss
  • Missing Worlds Media co-founder/senior developer.
    • Basketcase Software
Re: I voted.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 05:12:06 AM »
Today, I sent in my absentee ballot in the 2012 U.S. elections. I have to say that the closure of CoH, combined with things I've read from NCSoft employees about Korean culture, have influenced my vote regarding business and foreign policy.

I'm a participant in a political campaign. I can't say more.
Missing World Media primary co-founder, senior developer, UI/UX acting lead, and software toolsmith.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 01:14:36 PM »
I'll be voting on Tuesday before I go to work - or leaving work to go vote and coming back after I get to my desk and realize what day it is.

BE A HERO!  VOTE ON TUESDAY!*

*not applicable outside the United States and its territories - unless you're a US citizen currently out of the country, in which case I hope you already mailed your absentee ballot
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Kheprera

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 05:20:13 AM »
I early voted today.

The first polling place we went to that was listed as our place to go was... closed and locked and clearly NOT a polling place.

So... handy smartphone and a check later, find the closest place and off we go!

Into an hour and half hell of standing in line because they ran out of printer tape for the polling booth codes.

Needless to say, my back (constant back pain here) was screaming in agony as I was attempting to read through all the propositions and bond packages and making sure I was voting as I had originally decided.

Then I got to go grocery shopping.  Whee.

*faceplant*

I want my City back.

Sleepy Wonder

• Boss
  • MWM: Programmer, UI Designer, Bases
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 05:10:02 AM »
http://www.forbes.com/sites/artcarden/2012/01/19/your-vote-wont-matter-dont-waste-it/

Now if everyone thought this way maybe politics would actually be interesting. As it stands.. well, the last link in the article summed it up nicely.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 07:09:13 AM »
I don't want to get into a political war. But I will say this much. I cannot imagine an election ever being more terrifying than this. Unless we come under attack by an army of space robots.

Profit

• Boss
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 02:14:17 PM »
http://www.forbes.com/sites/artcarden/2012/01/19/your-vote-wont-matter-dont-waste-it/

Wow, I thought Forbes had real writers. This is one of the worst articles I've ever read.

Ok, for all this writers smart talk etc etc, there is only one reason your vote doesn't matter and that is the electoral college is under on legal action to follow a states popular vote. This has come into play twice in the history of this country that I am aware of where the electoral college has put a candidate in the White House who did not win the popular vote.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 06:48:26 PM »
the electoral college is under on legal action to follow a states popular vote.
Selection criteria for electors and their responsibilities vary by state, but each party running for president has its own pool of electors.  In most states, the electors who will determine the final count of votes toward the presidency are selected in a winner-take-all fashion based on the popular vote.  That being said, while it's possible that an elector may choose to split from his/her party and vote for the other guy, it's pretty unlikely.

The wildcards in the process are Maine and Nebraska.  Those two states do not select electors based on winner-take-all.

In any event, the important thing to remember is that when you cast your vote for President, you are not actually voting directly for your favorite candidate.  Rather, you are voting to decide which pool of electors will be voting in the Electoral College for your state.

(We could throw another wrench in here by mentioning that the Electoral College does not formally make its decision until they vote on the first Monday after the second Wednesday in December.  And in the event that there is no absolute majority of votes cast by the Electoral College, the President is elected by the House of Representatives and the Vice President is elected by the Senate.)
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov