Author Topic: Wonder if this author was a fan or someone connected to Paragon studios?  (Read 1486 times)

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
Online I came across a link that led to this book http://www.amazon.com/dp/1418052671/?tag=stackoverfl08-20
Looking at that cover... I wonder if it's someone from PS that wrote it, or a fan of CoH.  ;D

(Looks like she wrote a bunch of books on game development, maybe someone wants to reach out to her, if she's a fan/former player of CoH too)

Copper Cockroach

• Boss
  • Phoenix Project: 2D Art Lead
Re: Wonder if this author was a fan or someone connected to Paragon studios?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 02:35:26 PM »
Looks like one of a series, with each book featuring a different MMO on the cover... CoH just got this one.

One of the authors, Rick Hall, used to work at the unrelated Paragon Software, who've done some online game work.

The other author, Jeannie Novak, has the same hairstyle as War Witch (long & straight w/ bangs) but more red than Melissa's strawberry-blonde.

Not the most direct of connections... James Burke would be appalled... but there ya go.

The White Rager

• Lieutenant
    • The Wordpile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 10:33:14 PM »
I'm not so sure...I read the summary, and it sounds like the author is espousing and examining an approach to MMO design that pretty closely matches what we all loved so much about CoH. I wouldn't be so sure the author is not only familiar with it, but has a deep respect for it. This could be worth pursuing. A simple email or some such to find out can't hurt.

The White Rager

• Lieutenant
    • The Wordpile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 10:51:24 PM »
I have sent the author the following message on facebook. Odds are nothing will come of it, but where's the harm?

Greeting from the Hero MMO, City of Heroes;

I'm hoping this message doesn't prove too troublesome, as I write it based on several leaps of faith, all derived from having observed a screenshot from this favorite game of mine (CoH) on the cover of one of your books on game development. I've chosen to assume that a) this is at least a semi-deliberate choice on your part indicating some personal familiarity with the game, and b) that this indicates some degree of personal approval of the game. I would like to think so, as those of us who play it consider it very special and unique, and often brag of multiple features few or no other MMO's have ever caught up with, especially in terms of nurturing a community. However, they're big assumptions, and so if I am wrong I apologize.

I'm writing all this because as you may well be aware, CoH is presently in crisis. In a move so out of the blue a new power set update had been added to the game's store the day before, CoH was cancelled and the entire Paragon Studies kicked out in the cold. Since then, a fierce fight has ensued: where most protests of this sort amount to a mob of upset individuals, I'm proud to say we proved both the value of our game to us and our cohesiveness by choosing a leader and a single rallying point for the SaveCoH effort within two days of the announcement, and while we have yet to get anything resembling a civil, let alone serious, response to our many requests, our impact has been undeniable, and we are not yet finished. As an expert in the field and someone who - again I assume greatly - has approved of the game as a model, we'd all like to know your thoughts on the matter over on Titan Networks (http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/board,134.0.html). Obviously we'd also love your support, but no one will judge you for choosing to steer clear of the fracas. But I think what you'd see there, or here (http://www.savecoh.com/), would impress and surprise you. I certainly hope so.

Eternally the Paragon City hero,

The White Rager