Author Topic: New City of Heroes?  (Read 37445 times)

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
New City of Heroes?
« on: November 16, 2012, 10:03:56 PM »
Spotted this in L4G channel on Virtue just now and wondered if anyone else had seen it, or cared particularly?

[Looking For Group] New City of heroes:  Sad that city of heroes will be gone forever soon? Have no fear, us at new city of heroes are creating a new server just like the server you are on now!. For more info please message me or send an email at (Email address deleted).
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
Re: New City of Heroes?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 10:15:25 PM »
I saw it last night on Protector. It was badly misspelled and the grammar just screamed 'robo-translation'.

If it's legit, I wouldn't give them my money because they cant spell. If it's not legit, I wouldn't give them my money and I'd slap them if I could.

As you can see, either way. Whoever it is will probably not be getting a shot at my money.
As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 10:47:20 PM »
If that's those Gagora sleezeballs, I may need to break out the flamethrower.

...what? They're legal to own in the US.

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 10:48:49 PM »
If that's those Gagora sleezeballs, I may need to break out the flamethrower.

...what? They're legal to own in the US.

They're legal to own in the UK, we used one for extreme gardening.

And if it's gagora, I HATE them from RIFT gold spam, please send the report in to NCSoft.

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 10:53:21 PM »
I dread to ask; who is "gragora?"

V-Mink

• Lieutenant
  • Greenside
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 10:59:57 PM »
They're legal to own in the UK, we used one for extreme gardening.
The images this invokes produces great hilarity for me.  Weed like you mean it!

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 11:04:48 PM »

I thought the Voltron killed that thing?

Jordan_Lee

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 11:48:27 PM »

It was a website that sold influence for real currency. Chances are they'd just take your real money and give you nothing in return. They may have also sold power leveling. But they were very very annoying because they would sign up for trial accounts and spam you with emails, tells, global tells, all in game. My block list is still full of all of them. But they are the main reason why trial accounts, then eventually the F2P accounts, got to be so limited with chat options. Every time I logged into the game I would have 10+ emails advertising their website. It sucked, I hated them.

Osborn

• Boss
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 11:55:44 PM »
It was a website that sold influence for real currency. Chances are they'd just take your real money and give you nothing in return. They may have also sold power leveling. But they were very very annoying because they would sign up for trial accounts and spam you with emails, tells, global tells, all in game. My block list is still full of all of them. But they are the main reason why trial accounts, then eventually the F2P accounts, got to be so limited with chat options. Every time I logged into the game I would have 10+ emails advertising their website. It sucked, I hated them.

It's a little late now, but you can limit your email to global friend/sg only. Worked wonders for that. Had no reason to be emailed by random players anyways.

I never had a problem with RLM transfers for influence or power leveling on principle: that was effectively what the PP market was anyways after a bit when you could buy enhancements and bonus XP off of them.

I know NCSoft or Paragon Studios made the argument that if people could blow through the game too fast or get too good of equipment too early with real life money it'd make people leave the game... but then they started to sell their own effective power leveling and enhancements right from the store, so I'm not sure I buy the excuse of 'power leveling causes people to quit the game'.

But what I did hate, was Gold Spam. The thing was that, Gold Spam bots almost always advertised for scams sites anyways just compounding the failure.

Ice Trix

• Boss
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2012, 12:46:48 AM »
Everything about it screams scam to me. Its sad that it's so tempting, and I;m sure people will sign away to them.

I said something about not trusting them on the LFG channel & they pst'd me " New City of heroes: why not trust us? we luanch when COH goes down and if u wanna play u pay via paypal =D"

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
  • is there a badge for that?
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2012, 04:51:39 AM »
honestly i think that sounds really shady to me, i would only trust the guys at titan for coming up with a solution

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2012, 05:11:12 AM »
For the record, we have absolutely nothing to do with this.  If we ever release anything as a result of reverse engineering, it will not have any NCsoft IP in it unless (or until) we acquire it legally.

Cinnder

• Boss
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2012, 07:27:44 AM »
It was badly misspelled...

Worse than the real CoH?!?  The mind boggles!

Ha ha, I kid... I kid...

But seriously folks, all this talk of flamethrowers keeps reminding me of George Carlin's comment that their existence means that at some point someone thought, "You know, I'd really like to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

darkquill

• Minion
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2012, 09:11:08 AM »
I talked to the person, trying to find out who was behind it. There appeared to be a language barrier that made it difficult for me to communicate with them, however, and so I couldn't get much out of them. All I can say is that they seemed more concerned with the 'pitch' than with the explanation, but that could be a trait of a rabid fan as much as it could be a trait of a scammer.

Beodren

• Underling
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2012, 09:19:11 AM »
Since I am usually silly person, I decided to talk with them, and ask for newsettler. Over the course of chatting spelling got a tad better (on the other hand, english isn't my native language, as my spelling might have betrayed earlier.), making them a bit more legitimate. They required only email adress so far (no wild spam spike noted so far, and well, no payment needed) Mail I received today  says that first two months on that server will be free of charge.
So, if I will be able to check out how it is really working before jumping onto that cart, they are currently looking for more people for server stability test.

I certainly do not encourage anyone to pay them, as I myself am still tad worried, but I think since they offer testing period... maybe they are (like me) from the parts of the world where english is really foreign language, and two months of free playing time seems like a good period of time to make a choice.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2012, 01:12:53 PM »
Also some parts of the world (China) is notorious for not following any IP laws.

I would not be surprised if they were Chinese CoH farmers now! Join our game and you get 100,000,000 free influence and Pl to 50 on one character!

Jordan_Lee

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2012, 02:49:01 PM »
Also some parts of the world (China) is notorious for not following any IP laws.

I would not be surprised if they were Chinese CoH farmers now! Join our game and you get 100,000,000 free influence and Pl to 50 on one character!

lol that just made me think of a gamers web comic called 'The noob', there was an episode with gold farmers working tirelessly in the basement.

But yeah, sounds 100% like a scam to me. I saw it on Virtue last night as well, however I was about to go out so I didn't try to converse with them. I for one will not download or transfer any money to anyone without thorough research. I wouldn't even give them my email address in fear that they would try to hack it.

I'm only slightly paranoid and protective of my computer and my measly bank account.

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2012, 06:13:43 PM »
I'd be worried about downloading anything from them or giving their program any access to you're computer. Not all scams are monetary.

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2012, 06:50:42 PM »
I'd be worried about downloading anything from them or giving their program any access to you're computer. Not all scams are monetary.

If I get ahold of a client or anything, I have a clean virtual machine I can try it out on, but yeah.  No matter how honest and trustworthy they seem, I wouldn't install anything on your computer from a source you don't consider trustworthy.  (And yes, I realize that we ourselves have put out third party utilities over the years.  Hopefully you trust us, but every once in a while, I still see messages boiling down to, "We don't really know who these Titan Network yahoos are..."  My response is always, "Fair enough, I understand.  If you're not comfortable installing Titan Network software, I urge you to not, it's a responsible decision.")

Beodren

• Underling
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2012, 07:10:20 PM »
I agree with the installing, as i believe, minor modifications within the registers are usually all that is required. I will keep my research, and gladly provide files for analysis here. I think, that is best bet so far. I have suspicions they maybe a members of brasilian team that tried to tackle making of private server some time ago, and language barrier was a bit of problem to them.