Author Topic: Shutdown protests  (Read 6246 times)

Clockwork Ninja

• Underling
Shutdown protests
« on: November 20, 2012, 05:40:21 AM »
Longtime player, first time posting on this forum.

Not sure if these have been suggested elsewhere, but I wanted to float a couple of ideas about protesting both during and immediately after the shutdown of CoH:

1. Sympathetic logout: for those of you involved with other NCSoft game communities, see if you can organize a mass-logout from all of NCSoft's other online games, as an act of solidarity.

2. Login error ticket flood- when the servers shut down, everyone with a NCSoft account fills out "Can't log into CoH" error reports.

Even if they log back in right away, getting the server load to single digits, combined with piles of error tickets might get some attention at NCSoft HQ.

avelworldcreator

• Elite Boss
  • Missing Worlds Media co-founder/senior developer.
    • Basketcase Software
Re: Shutdown protests
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 05:44:34 AM »
I'm suddenly minded of a group toilette flush...  ;D
Missing World Media primary co-founder, senior developer, UI/UX acting lead, and software toolsmith.

WolfSoul

• Lieutenant
    • Writing portfolio
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 09:11:54 PM »
I'm suddenly minded of a group toilette flush...  ;D

While NCSoft is in the shower. :)

Heroette

• Elite Boss
  • Penelope Pistol lives forever in my heart.
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 11:11:58 PM »
I actually like the idea of sending a petition to NCSoft after we are kicked off saying that we can't log into City of Heroes anymore.  I think that would be appropriate.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 12:04:20 AM »
Don't you have to be logged in to submit a trouble ticket? I've only had problems while in game. Log in problems were due to server maintenance that I hadn't been aware of in advance.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Mr. Wentworth

• Lieutenant
  • "I aim to misbehave..."
    • Real World Hero
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 12:06:36 AM »
Don't you have to be logged in to submit a trouble ticket? I've only had problems while in game. Log in problems were due to server maintenance that I hadn't been aware of in advance.

You could likely still use your login at ncsoft.com to submit a support request.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 12:40:37 AM »
<rubbing hands together>

Interesting...  :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Omega Mark V

• Boss
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 03:44:01 PM »
I'm in for the Login error CS ticket flood.
- Omega Mk. V

LT. Couper

• Boss
  • The battle won't end until it's won!
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 07:17:46 PM »
I'm in for the Login error CS ticket flood.

Ditto
"Heroes may die, but heroism never shall." ~Cyrus "Breakneck" Thompson

Manny

• Underling
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 08:28:01 PM »
Im up for that too

Lucretia MacEvil

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2012, 12:19:16 AM »
Im up for that too

Me three! Sounds perfect. *mischievous grin* >:D

Quinch

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2012, 02:22:19 AM »
Wouldn't that just hassle the rank-and-file GMs? I don't think the higher-ups would so much as blink at it.

Clockwork Ninja

• Underling
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2012, 05:16:49 AM »
Wouldn't that just hassle the rank-and-file GMs? I don't think the higher-ups would so much as blink at it.

The higher ups will monitor things like # of tickets received, thousands of complaints filed via their own system will make a blip on the radar- not sure how big, but it should get some attention.
Plus the service slowdown as rank-and-file guys get bogged down will be visible to players of other games. That's kind of how protests work IRL- doing something disruptive to draw attention to the cause.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2012, 05:59:35 AM »
Yeah it might draw attention to the cause.

As a player on the other game, getting the message of "Sorry we are bogged down because people from another game are flooding our system in protest." and then going "hmm I should join those guys." It was more like "God dang it. Who are these d-wads?" and made me want to stay away because it seemed as if all they cared about was their cause but not being considerate to other players in other games.

But on the other end, it will probably will get attention but remember when doing things like this while trying to come up with a game under the Titan banner, we do not want to antagonize future players. When the game hits, we want them to think "hey, there goes those guys who game got pulledo ut from under them. They been doing great things for the community." and not "Hey, those are those pogues that got upset and tried to disrupt every game they can because their game got shutdown. I had to wait two hours beyond normal because they clogged the lines. Hell no, I dont want anything to do with them."

I'm not saying dont do it, but just be mindful. Even though I wish things like this could be kept a bit more secrect because now if someone from there happens to read this, they will be ready to deal with the flood of tickets from COX complaints and might not garner the attention at all and or the point being missed and merely labeled "as those angry people that are upset over the closing of COX, ignore them. Tomorrow, we wont have to deal with them.

Ammon

• Team Wildcard
  • Boss
  • UK marketing guy and City of Heroes addict
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2012, 10:20:48 AM »
Plus the service slowdown as rank-and-file guys get bogged down will be visible to players of other games. That's kind of how protests work IRL- doing something disruptive to draw attention to the cause.
They'd simply have one of their IT guys write a script to auto-reply to them all, and bin them.  Won't get much slowdown from taking up less than one hour of one competent IT guy's time.  Sorry.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2012, 02:18:47 PM »
They'd simply have one of their IT guys write a script to auto-reply to them all, and bin them.  Won't get much slowdown from taking up less than one hour of one competent IT guy's time.  Sorry.

I was going to say the same thing, but Ammon beat me to it (with whips and chains).
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2012, 02:46:03 PM »
I was going to say the same thing, but Ammon beat me to it (with whips and chains).

Someone say whips and chains? Where's the party?

<.<

>.>
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

DWRoelands

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2012, 02:49:57 PM »

I have to concur with Ammon.  At best, it will be a minor inconvenience.  There are probably far better uses of time and energy.

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2012, 02:52:42 PM »
1. Sympathetic logout: for those of you involved with other NCSoft game communities, see if you can organize a mass-logout from all of NCSoft's other online games, as an act of solidarity.
This, actually, would hold a lot more merit though.  It might scare NC just a little if we can organize a mass logout of players all across their games.  The logout needn't be long - perhaps no more than an hour.

The point is to leave a sharp drop in their server numbers all at one moment, and have them get curious as to why it happened.  So they start reading chat logs and system logs, and bingo, they have to see our protest message.

avelworldcreator

• Elite Boss
  • Missing Worlds Media co-founder/senior developer.
    • Basketcase Software
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2012, 03:47:22 PM »
This, actually, would hold a lot more merit though.  It might scare NC just a little if we can organize a mass logout of players all across their games.  The logout needn't be long - perhaps no more than an hour.

The point is to leave a sharp drop in their server numbers all at one moment, and have them get curious as to why it happened.  So they start reading chat logs and system logs, and bingo, they have to see our protest message.

And organize this how? And are we certain we can get adequate numbers on such short notice to do this?
Missing World Media primary co-founder, senior developer, UI/UX acting lead, and software toolsmith.