Author Topic: Call to Action! Team Wildcard needs YOU! TF Hail Mary LFM  (Read 178114 times)

Opal Aegis

• Underling
Re: Call to Action! Team Wildcard needs YOU! TF Hail Mary LFM
« Reply #120 on: November 26, 2012, 07:44:25 PM »
Honestly, I had thought about this angle and it would be wonderful if Disney would pick our game up. There may be one slight obstacle though and that would be Disney's connection to Marvel. If we can convince Disney that our game and the Dev team would be an asset and not a copyright issue or a conflict of interest with Marvel then we may have a shot.
Here's hoping that the company that owns the place where dreams come true can keep ours alive
Opal Aegis

FlameBailador

• Underling
« Reply #121 on: November 26, 2012, 07:57:39 PM »
I created my letter, but noticed that John Pepper Jr didn't have a company name he was affilliated with like the others, so I looked it up on Google.  It appears he stepped down as Chairman of the Board of Directors at the March annual meeting, and that Robert Iger now holds both CEO and Chairman titles.  Also, John Pleasants is now co-president of Disney Interactive (with James Pitaro).

Here are the links to the Board and Management lists on the Disney website:

http://thewaltdisneycompany.com/about-disney/leadership/board-of-directors
     http://thewaltdisneycompany.com/about-disney/leadership/management

With this information in mind, do we need to adjust who we're addressing our letters to?

Let us know ASAP!

-j

Tannim222

• Lieutenant
« Reply #122 on: November 26, 2012, 08:04:48 PM »
I have a sort-of-former-friend (long story no bad blood but he suffered a difficult loss and distance himself from everyone he knew during the time of the occurance until he feels over it enough to come around again), who works at Disney. Not at the park :p but with corporate. He heads teams at every corporate location. He knows a lot of the upper execs, and how the corporate culture operates (he an integral part of defining the corporate culture).

From our previous conversations regarding Disney and how it operates with purchasing and owning other entities, there are two things that really stand out to me with regards to the current attempt. One good, the other not. First the good: when Disney purchases an entity, they're really big on autonomy if the entity does well. They're execs don't like having to come in and take over. They work on integration of the entity with Disney on the very high end, and on some back end portions, but each entity has its own culture and method of operation. This is good becaus if Disney were to put PS back in order, once PS shows they can get things going well, execs would back off and let the devs do their thing. The "big Daddy" assistance would come in the form of providing the means by which to push the product further, so long as the studio shows itself capable.

The bad: Disney has a lot of moving parts. Thus, it takes a lot to make things happen, unless there's something substantial on the table worth making the behemoth jump and get to speed quickly, think Lucas Films / Arts. So when the OP says this effort won't work unless a ton of letters hit their offices, it's true. If we want Disney to take notice and make a substantial move by the end of December, we MUST make sure we've got their attention better than any customer base has gotten their attention before.

Hendrake

• Underling
« Reply #123 on: November 26, 2012, 08:41:16 PM »
Think we could convince them to do Marvel themed expansion packs for CoH and tie them into the release of upcoming movies? :D

I'd totally be down with a Captain America Task Force.

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #124 on: November 26, 2012, 08:45:52 PM »
In Paragon City, the Avengers is more in line with the Untouchables. Not because the content is any different, but because it's fictionalized reality rather than fantastic fiction.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #125 on: November 26, 2012, 08:50:17 PM »
One of my Friday group's favorite things to do was "theme teams." We did one for each movie release (except Thor), and I know I saw several "tribute" toons running around each server I played on.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #126 on: November 26, 2012, 08:58:56 PM »
Is it okay to send the same letter 4 times?  I pretty much covered all the bases in it.  I am going to hand write it out 4 times so it won't look like a form letter or anything.  I'm also going to post what I send up on my blog.

Surelle

« Reply #127 on: November 26, 2012, 09:01:11 PM »
Okay, done, signed, sealed, and sent!

*crosses fingers*

I'm just a little gamer girrrrrrl.....    Tellin' it to the worrrrrrld..... Hehe.

Now let's hope this does some good!

Copper Cockroach

• Boss
  • Phoenix Project: 2D Art Lead
« Reply #128 on: November 26, 2012, 09:16:05 PM »

"Wait a minute... is it okay for us to be dating, now that we're co-workers?"

"Who cares? Let's go kill some younglings or something."

"NOW you're talking!"

Edit: Rehosted image because the original image hosting site was causing page to experience very long delays in loading. --TV
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 09:51:01 PM by TonyV »

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #129 on: November 26, 2012, 09:31:12 PM »
Wouldn't that be the first undead Disney Princess? ;)

I'll get going on a letter.

No... just... no.

On the other hand, I bet you'd see more dudes in the princess autograph lines. :p

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #130 on: November 26, 2012, 09:56:41 PM »
Wow, I hate to admit this. Vader and Widow.. they look good together.  :P

And, is there an outline for the proposal with the important key-points? Something we can show to the general gaming populous as a FAQ, so we can denounce a lot of the things they're worried about? They're going to eat each other alive on the official forums soon.

Doubt seems to be the overall vibe of the community outside of Titan at the moment. Hopefully it's possible to address some of their concerns without needing to write a tl;dr post.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #131 on: November 26, 2012, 10:45:26 PM »
That scene in Pirates of the Caribbean 3? When they're hanging like..a billion pirates, including a little kid, in about 30 seconds?  I think more people die in that scene than they do in about a dozen horror flicks.

Heh, I heard Hoist the Colors High numerous times after Aug 30...

blackjak

• Elite Boss
« Reply #132 on: November 26, 2012, 10:59:50 PM »
Like I  said on the COH forums: I'm a bit bummed I wasn't right about George R.R. Martin and the wildcard mafia being involved.
Virtue: Moonsun, Dynamo Jr., Crimson Fury, Sabre Kat, Double Sixxes, Quantum Stranger, Mystic Kirin, Pink.Eye Champion: Blackjak, Redwing Blackbird Justice: Shield Marshal Guardian: White Talon Triumph: Gosuto Union: Stellar Girl

Sensate

• Underling
« Reply #133 on: November 27, 2012, 12:02:22 AM »
I have the snail mail addy's and am starting to compose letters for that... but any chance we can get email contacts? I think that would be faster and encourage more ppl to get involved for convenience sake...   Also , should we make these multi-page affairs or just what would fit on your avg post card???

Sensate.

Ammon

• Team Wildcard
  • Boss
  • UK marketing guy and City of Heroes addict
« Reply #134 on: November 27, 2012, 12:11:29 AM »
I have the snail mail addy's and am starting to compose letters for that... but any chance we can get email contacts? I think that would be faster and encourage more ppl to get involved for convenience sake...   Also , should we make these multi-page affairs or just what would fit on your avg post card???
Its convenience and ease we are trying to avoid.  The entire point is to show we are prepared to go out of our way, that we are committing our hopes to paper, putting it in an envelope, affixing a stamp we paid for, and posting it.

People will send emails just to troll.  Hard copy has commitment.  The commitment is the whole point.  We are showing them we are a commited market begging to pay for CoH and that buying it is guaranteed to make its money back, plus every chance of doing more.

Roughtrade

• Boss
  • Sitting on a Cornflake
« Reply #135 on: November 27, 2012, 12:11:44 AM »
Email might be 'instant' but it is also way to easy to just put the messages into a Spam Filter.

If you have an email address for them fine, I suppose.  Every bit helps and all.  But write a letter too anyways.  Physical Mail will have much more impact.  It might get mailmen delivering the letters talking.  It might get noticed by other people, talked about, pushed around in the social media. 

Email is far too easy to ignore.

Visual Fallacy

• Underling
« Reply #136 on: November 27, 2012, 12:16:11 AM »
For anyone worried about Jedi's or other such characters invading Coh keep in mind that Coh has always run with servers that serve a particular kind of player, Virtue and it's role players for instance. There is no reason why one server can't become the jedi server where everyone with a mindset to play a jedi character can have fun with other such mindset characters, one server be more for Marvel type characters etc etc. Over the years we have made it work here with people finding servers that suit them with no interference from the game, I don't see why we couldn't do the same again with new material.

Roughtrade

• Boss
  • Sitting on a Cornflake
« Reply #137 on: November 27, 2012, 12:17:22 AM »
I am uncertain if this is a valid point or not but....

If you want to impress on Disney how much City of Heroes is part of popular culture above and beyond our little MMO....

Big Bang Theory has a City of Heroes connection.

There is a CoH poster visible in the comic shop scenes.

"Captain Sweatpants" a reoccurring character in the comic shop, wears a shirt with Statesman's Star.

Howard had a statue of Ghost Widow on the shelf above his bed.  I do not know if it made the move to Bernadette's place with him.

I have seen a City of Villains box on their gaming shelf in scenes before, but in the Star Wars MMO episode they mentioned how they always play good guys so I do not know if it has been removed. 

Anyways, Big Bang Theory knows about CoH and I am hoping it gets some sort of mention before the season is out.  Maybe even this week.

the Up All Night show is supposed to be about guys who game at night isn't it?  Does anyone watch that show and has it mentioned super hero gaming?

Annihilius

• Underling
« Reply #138 on: November 27, 2012, 12:38:56 AM »
Two letters down, going out tomorrow morning.

Let's hope to mouse is feeling a shopping spree. :)

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #139 on: November 27, 2012, 01:29:51 AM »
And, is there an outline for the proposal with the important key-points? Something we can show to the general gaming populous as a FAQ, so we can denounce a lot of the things they're worried about? They're going to eat each other alive on the official forums soon.

There's no outline.

FIRST: one thing we did NOT address was Disney doing CoH themed movies or cartoons.  This was deliberate.  As the old saying goes "You don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs."  If the Mouse decides to pick up CoH, the Mouse has a million times more experience in picking out what properties have commercial film/video potential than we do.  Attempting to tell the Mouse what the Mouse already knows how to do would not win points.

SECOND: We covered the possible conflict with Marvel Games by pointing out that there is no conflict.  Both games are based on the Diablo engine which is optimized for PvP and solo.  Neither game allows players to construct their own characters.  Neither has the library of established content.  Neither allows players to create their own missions.

THIRD: There is nothing we can say when people are paranoid about the Mouse taking over except to point out that the Mouse tends to leave people who know what they are doing alone.

FOURTH: Can't post the pitch online.  There's some stuff in there that we are not allowed to reveal and were given access to only on the stipulation that we and Disney and no one else sees it.  There will be people who will still whine about that and insist it is their right to see it.  No, it's not, get over it.

FIFTH: We can pitch even though we do not own the game because we are pitching the IDEA of Disney acquiring the property, and not pitching the property itself.  We make it very clear at the start and end of the package that the person to contact is Brian Clayton.  The fact that we have no monetary interest in this might actually strengthen our pitch; we have nothing to gain, why are we doing this?  Because the property is just that good.

SIXTH: What we pitched was getting the whole deal: IP, game code, server code, customer account information (yes, including all your characters), and setting Paragon Studios back up.

We spent a LOT of time describing how and why City is unique, not only among superhero games but among MMORPGs in general.

The four of us, from four vastly different age/sex/demographic/experience sets, with the help of the two senior Paragon people, pummeled our brains to come up with every possibly objection Disney could have--and counter it--and every possible way Disney could make money and/or advertise from/within the game.  We pointed out how City could be a mini-Disney-vacation every night for families separated by great distance and constrained by budget.  We pointed out City players' loyalty.  We reiterated the PC versus mobile discussion I made with the Korean journalist.  We mentioned the Big Bang Theory connection.  We even pointed out the potential for game therapy for the autistic and disabled (the Mouse likes to look altruistic). 

Seriously; there is nothing that anyone has asked about here or said "did you...?" that we didn't cover plus a metric ton of stuff you haven't even thought about.  We spent a solid week on this, remember, doing almost nothing BUT think about it.

You need to not just write the initial letters, you need to keep writing letters.  Every time you think of one more way City could benefit Disney, write another letter or postcard. 

Not emails though.  Ammon made all the points about how emails are easily spam-filtered, where real letters show a commitment.  Unlike NCSoft, Disney isn't going to assign a clerk to toss every letter marked SaveCoH straight into a dumpster.  Disney is in the business of making money, and every letter we send raises the probability of making money from this a little more in their eyes.  They don't have a vendetta with Garriot, CoH serves their core market, and there is nothing standing in the way of persuading them this is something they need to look at seriously.

I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido