Author Topic: Call to Action! Team Wildcard needs YOU! TF Hail Mary LFM  (Read 177221 times)

Ampithere

• Elite Boss
Re: Call to Action! Team Wildcard needs YOU! TF Hail Mary LFM
« Reply #180 on: November 27, 2012, 07:13:47 PM »
2018 - Disney opens Paragon City in Walt Disney World Orlando. A new theme park focused on super powered family fun!  :P

Seriously though, I really hope Disney buys the property. They are as close to an endless pool of money as it gets, so if anyone can pick up the pieces it's them.
@Rorn

Most recently active as Blue Baron

Guardian Server

Quinch

« Reply #181 on: November 27, 2012, 07:15:38 PM »
One thing Disney is good at is...

Milking an IP for all it's worth!  Think about it they still advertise some of the old movies "Out of the Disney Vault" not to mention the toys and direct to DVD sequels.

It would be a welcome change from NCsoft who barely remembered to feed the cow, let alone milk it.

Anyway, time to crash. See you all tomorrow.

no hero

• Lieutenant
  • Regens "do it" solo! :)
« Reply #182 on: November 27, 2012, 08:13:31 PM »
Done and Done. I had six greeting cards made and will ship them out one at a time every few days. Each envelope has a number of screenshots included along with a hand written note. Each one in a metallic gold on white velum with each piece of velum in a different shade or texture of white.

BTW: A special Thanks to Mr. Wentworth, since I stole his Mickey design.  :roll:

That sounded like a cute idea...

But I don't know if they're ready to see a mashup of CoH with the beloved ears yet.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 08:25:27 PM by no hero »
Samantha:  "I have to ask you a question. It's a good one so think about it. If a Player and a Game love each other, but they just can't seem to get it together, when do you get to that point of enough is enough?"

Jerry:  "Never."

Copper Cockroach

• Boss
  • Phoenix Project: 2D Art Lead
« Reply #183 on: November 27, 2012, 08:17:51 PM »
You know, Disney originally struck me as an odd choice for the game.

Then I remembered that I first picked up a copy of CoH after watching "The Incredibles." 

I loved the feel of the movie; it reminded me of the slightly goofy, old-style cheesy and tongue-in-cheek comic book characters of the past. The game let me live that out, and I've made many characters over the years modeled after that style.  After realizing this, Disney seems the perfect fit.

Even if Disney feels the need to put their own stamp on the game, and Mr. Incredible gets a statue in Atlas Park, while Frozone becomes a mission contact, I think I could live with that.   ;)

I just watched "The Incredibles" again recently, and I couldn't help noticing how much Municiberg (from the opening scene) and Metroville (from the climactic battle) look like Paragon City... or should I say, the way it would have looked in CoH2, if NCsoft had had the sense to back that project. Or maybe they just look similar because they're all computer-generated and I'm just imagining the resemblance. (I'm not suggesting there was any influence either way; "The Incredibles" came out around the time of CoH's launch and Paragon City's look was long since set.) At any rate it's very cool to see how Paragon City could look in digital "real life".

And a note to future devs, whether at Disney (or elsewhere) for a hypothetical CoH2, my cohorts at Plan Z, or a yet-to-be-imagined superhero MMO project: The scene where they crash-land the Winnebago on the elevated freeway and have to make their exit at 120 mph? That's what Skyway City is supposed to look like. The final battle where they defeat the Omnidroid? That's what Steel Canyon is supposed to look like.

Heroette

• Elite Boss
  • Penelope Pistol lives forever in my heart.
« Reply #184 on: November 27, 2012, 09:40:58 PM »
Done and Done. I had six greeting cards made and will ship them out one at a time every few days. Each envelope has a number of screenshots included along with a hand written note. Each one in a metallic gold on white velum with each piece of velum in a different shade or texture of white.

Now, that is awesome!!!!  Great Job.  I hope they can see the potential.

mikoroshi

• Boss
  • Author, Owner of Dogs
    • My Twitter
« Reply #185 on: November 27, 2012, 09:43:58 PM »
I have a friend who's a lead animator at Pixar; he actually consulted with my team on our now-defunct horror MMO project.  I don't think he's anywhere near high enough on the totem pole to get any movement on this though.
If you see me posting here, you need to tell me to stop it and get back to writing.

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #186 on: November 27, 2012, 09:48:39 PM »
I have a friend who's a lead animator at Pixar; he actually consulted with my team on our now-defunct horror MMO project.  I don't think he's anywhere near high enough on the totem pole to get any movement on this though.
Can't hurt to try.

If he even knows people - and if they're his coworkers, he does - who know people, just talking about this effort as something he heard about can start the rumor mill internally grinding. And hearing employees talk about it around the water cooler as they walk by can get bosses thinking about it when they might have put it out of their minds.

Loveclown

• Underling
« Reply #187 on: November 27, 2012, 09:51:26 PM »

Shadowhawke

• Minion
« Reply #188 on: November 27, 2012, 10:29:01 PM »
Looking at this latest page of entries, I have to say I am humbled by the heart and spirit this community has. You have made this veteran Paragonian and Norrathian cry.

ebenbrooks

• Underling
« Reply #189 on: November 27, 2012, 11:37:23 PM »
Ms. Lackey, I am nearly in tears over this. This is truly a "Hail Mary", but it fills me with hope. I will, indeed, write letters. I will tell them about the friends I made because of this game, and the other friends I stayed in touch with through this game. I will tell them about how playing CoH was instrumental in getting me to write my novel (as yet unfinished, but over 65,000 words currently). I will tell them about the back-stories, the grueling costume design decisions, and the the brain-wracking struggle to come up with cool but unique superhero names, so that my characters were mine, and no one else's. And I'll tell them about the time I was "saved" from "certain death" by Jesus Almighty. ;-)

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

--@Archimagos
aka Eben Brooks
creator of the CoH filk songs "Beat Up the Scum", "Personal Archvillain", "Don't Wanna Be Defeated", and "Regeneration"

vandegraff

• Underling
« Reply #190 on: November 27, 2012, 11:59:01 PM »
Even if Disney feels the need to put their own stamp on the game, and Mr. Incredible gets a statue in Atlas Park, while Frozone becomes a mission contact, I think I could live with that.   ;)
Put Frozone in Icon, shouting "WHERE IS MY SUPER-SUIT?!" at tailor contact Edna Mode.  (Although Edna might not let you add a cape.)

(I have to credit Szybko for that.)

Heroette

• Elite Boss
  • Penelope Pistol lives forever in my heart.
« Reply #191 on: November 28, 2012, 12:05:50 AM »
I have written my letter and it turned out longer than I thought it would.  I will be writing more in the upcoming days but this one will be mailed tomorrow.

Badaxe

• Underling
« Reply #192 on: November 28, 2012, 12:22:19 AM »

Shadowhawke

• Minion
« Reply #193 on: November 28, 2012, 12:53:31 AM »

Honestly the Marvel MMO is NOT City of Heroes. It isn't even in the same ballpark. I foresee Marvel's MMO coming out big but struggling like mad within 6 months in. It's a game you will play to play as your favorite characters but once that is done, you will have very little reason to keep going. Also, to point out to those who may have simply forgotten that Champions Online WAS supposed to be Marvel's MMO until it got nixed because of what microsoft called "an inability to compete" with the current MMO marketplace. Hence the rename to Champions Online.

Our game did not only compete in that marketplace, it was on top of the G*d damn food chain for EIGHT YEARS.

Will it be cool to play Wolverine or Magneto? Hell yeah it will...initially. I agree with no customizing of characters, the burnout time on this one is going to very short indeed. Ultimately, I would have no attachment to those characters. Every character I played on CoH had a purpose and backstory, even if they a homage character I gave them an origin that fit them into Paragon, sometimes with humor. I am a very concept-driven player, but I know I'm mainly preaching to the choir here, as there are Role Play Congress members in this thread. I can see Marvel appealing to the 5-15 year-old crowd, but not the mature gamers that VV was making the case on.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #194 on: November 28, 2012, 01:47:21 AM »
Have I mentioned before that I love you guys?

Please, once your initial letters are sent, consider sending another batch...and another...and another.  Make up some postcards and pester friends to sign them.  Leave flyers at comic book shops and book stores and coffee shops and toy stores.  And Disney Stores, if they'll let you!  If we are going to pull this thing off we have to have a massive, massive impact.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #195 on: November 28, 2012, 02:02:12 AM »
2018 - Disney opens Paragon City in Walt Disney World Orlando. A new theme park focused on super powered family fun!  :P

I totally asked them to do this in my letter. =D

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #196 on: November 28, 2012, 02:17:39 AM »
I put the text of my letter up on my blog http://mjcbarnes.wordpress.com/2012/11/26/disney-and-city-of-heroes/.  I'll be writing it out longhand tomorrow and sending it. My daughter and I are going to make costumes for our Disney figurines out of construction paper tomorrow and photograph them and include those photos.  Her letter is finished.

Shadowhawke

• Minion
« Reply #197 on: November 28, 2012, 02:45:36 AM »
Unless the Disney CEO's are utterly heartless bastards, I just can't see someone there not being touched by all this. Touched enough to actually act on it? Time will tell.

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #198 on: November 28, 2012, 02:47:16 AM »
Unless the Disney CEO's are utterly heartless bastards, I just can't see someone there not being touched by all this. Touched enough to actually act on it? Time will tell.

Corporate, but far from heartless
As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

Quinch

« Reply #199 on: November 28, 2012, 02:52:55 AM »
/bind g em clap

-mashes the G key-