Author Topic: Call to Action! Team Wildcard needs YOU! TF Hail Mary LFM  (Read 177253 times)

NoName

• Minion
Re: Call to Action! Team Wildcard needs YOU! TF Hail Mary LFM
« Reply #380 on: December 04, 2012, 06:48:14 AM »
Hopefully this doesn't put a damper on the efforts.

http://news.yahoo.com/disney-loses-appeal-319-million-wants-millionaire-case-014552575.html

Probably not the best story to do a first post with but I just hope everything succeeds since by what has been mentioned the cost to get the IP and everything else would be a fraction of this.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #381 on: December 04, 2012, 08:45:36 AM »
Well that is the television division, not Interactive.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #382 on: December 04, 2012, 09:11:50 AM »
You know, for a good answer on what generally is in the pitch package (and who we are), all a non-lazy person would have to do would be to look for the press release.

And the entire press release was posted up at www.savecoh.com :)
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #383 on: December 04, 2012, 12:45:25 PM »
Hopefully this doesn't put a damper on the efforts.

http://news.yahoo.com/disney-loses-appeal-319-million-wants-millionaire-case-014552575.html

Probably not the best story to do a first post with but I just hope everything succeeds since by what has been mentioned the cost to get the IP and everything else would be a fraction of this.
If we convince them to want the IP, they'll buy the IP.  A court ruling against a separate division isn't going to stop their business ventures elsewhere, or every single hiccup would weigh down the whole company.

Copper Cockroach

• Boss
  • Phoenix Project: 2D Art Lead
« Reply #384 on: December 04, 2012, 05:25:02 PM »
Huh... looks like an eagle or something took a crap on my kick-ass ride. No problem... I'll just grab a couple of the Hail Mary interns and have 'em wash it for me. Wax on! Wax off!

Roughtrade

• Boss
  • Sitting on a Cornflake
« Reply #385 on: December 04, 2012, 06:04:10 PM »
Anyone have a link to the numbers about how much of NC Soft's Profit was due to City of Heroes?  And a link to the source?

Couple guys in my D&D group are willing to mail letters if I write them and I do not remember where I found the data before.  (This is why you should save drafts I suppose)

sl701

• Minion
« Reply #386 on: December 04, 2012, 08:51:40 PM »
Finally found the time to find my letters. Each one got a custom made envelope, the letters are handwritten on paper on which I printed (very faintly) scenes from the game. Also, each letter contains two "trading cards" (redside and blueside) with one of my characters and their (possibly" last words before the world ended.
Here's an image of two of them:

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #387 on: December 04, 2012, 09:21:45 PM »
Those envelopes are gorgeous, and the trading cards are a great idea! Aargh, I was only going to print out simple letters, but now you're seriously tempting me to replace my busted old color printer so I can send something half as cool as yours :D

sl701

• Minion
« Reply #388 on: December 04, 2012, 09:48:35 PM »
Thank you very much, Triplash. The idea hit me while driving home from work today. I'll probably make a card for any of my heroes and villains and put them in my movie prop showcase in the living room  ;D

Merseine

• Boss
« Reply #389 on: December 04, 2012, 10:10:15 PM »
Thank you very much, Triplash. The idea hit me while driving home from work today. I'll probably make a card for any of my heroes and villains and put them in my movie prop showcase in the living room  ;D

Are you using a trading-card-making program or just doing this via GIMP or Photoshop?  And the text below the pic - is that the character's in-game bio?  Inquiring minds want to know.  Yes, I said minds...my cat Oreo is laying on my left arm while I type this...so she wants to know too.   8)
/em holdtorch

sl701

• Minion
« Reply #390 on: December 04, 2012, 10:17:55 PM »
Are you using a trading-card-making program or just doing this via GIMP or Photoshop?  And the text below the pic - is that the character's in-game bio?  Inquiring minds want to know.  Yes, I said minds...my cat Oreo is laying on my left arm while I type this...so she wants to know too.   8)

I used Photoshop and a template (which I bought, so I can't share it - sorry) to create those cards. The text below the pics are the characters last thoughts before the world ended... In no way I could manage to cram their bios into that tiny space  ;)
Hope you're both satisfied.

Heloooooo Oreo!  ;D

Merseine

• Boss
« Reply #391 on: December 04, 2012, 10:28:18 PM »
/em holdtorch

Vasarto

• Boss
« Reply #392 on: December 05, 2012, 12:11:57 AM »
Finally found the time to find my letters. Each one got a custom made envelope, the letters are handwritten on paper on which I printed (very faintly) scenes from the game. Also, each letter contains two "trading cards" (redside and blueside) with one of my characters and their (possibly" last words before the world ended.
Here's an image of two of them:

AWWWWWW!!!! F***!!!!!

DOUBLE F***!

I wish I had thought of something like that cool! Mine was just a super large Envelope where I would not have to fold my two pager Letters to each one and taped one of our site logo's on the front with the rest of the address..

That is super cool and I am jelly!

LT. Couper

• Boss
  • The battle won't end until it's won!
« Reply #393 on: December 05, 2012, 01:04:09 AM »
I used Photoshop and a template (which I bought, so I can't share it - sorry) to create those cards.

I bought a few CoH TCG packs about a year ago. If I, say, scanned them into the computer and created a template with photoshop, would that be ok to share? Because it's technically not buying a template.  :roll:

Just want to clear this with someone who knows more about it than I do first. ;D
"Heroes may die, but heroism never shall." ~Cyrus "Breakneck" Thompson

Ammon

• Team Wildcard
  • Boss
  • UK marketing guy and City of Heroes addict
« Reply #394 on: December 05, 2012, 02:10:28 AM »
Anyone have a link to the numbers about how much of NC Soft's Profit was due to City of Heroes?  And a link to the source?
http://global.ncsoft.com/global/ir/quarterly.aspx is as source-y a source as you can get.  We originally extrapolated a lot of data from the Q2 earnings that was discussed in detail.  NCsoft's entire Western (US and Euro) earnings were only 5% of the total, and CoH itself was less than half of that 5% (around 2%).  That still meant that CoH was providing around $3 million in profit per year, despite a large amount of its resources being reinvested in several R&D projects.  Near as we can tell, without all those development costs, Paragon Studios was earning around $10 million USD per annum.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #395 on: December 05, 2012, 05:17:33 AM »
http://global.ncsoft.com/global/ir/quarterly.aspx is as source-y a source as you can get.  We originally extrapolated a lot of data from the Q2 earnings that was discussed in detail.  NCsoft's entire Western (US and Euro) earnings were only 5% of the total, and CoH itself was less than half of that 5% (around 2%).  That still meant that CoH was providing around $3 million in profit per year, despite a large amount of its resources being reinvested in several R&D projects.  Near as we can tell, without all those development costs, Paragon Studios was earning around $10 million USD per annum.

OK something just struck me right in the face.  DESPITE GW, GW2, Lineage and Aion all having MUCH higher numbers of players than CoH individually, never mind collectively, CoH all by it's itty-bitty self was responsible for HALF THE US INCOME.

/em boggle.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Vasarto

• Boss
« Reply #396 on: December 05, 2012, 05:23:45 AM »
OK something just struck me right in the face.  DESPITE GW, GW2, Lineage and Aion all having MUCH higher numbers of players than CoH individually, never mind collectively, CoH all by it's itty-bitty self was responsible for HALF THE US INCOME.

/em boggle.

really?

Where can I find the numbers on that so I can see them?

sl701

• Minion
« Reply #397 on: December 05, 2012, 06:20:48 AM »
I bought a few CoH TCG packs about a year ago. If I, say, scanned them into the computer and created a template with photoshop, would that be ok to share? Because it's technically not buying a template.  :roll:

Just want to clear this with someone who knows more about it than I do first. ;D

First, I don't know more han you in this regard   ;)
I think if you remove any symbols and stuff (they are easy enough to find via Google) and you only share a blank template it might be okay. Or you could do a search for templates online. I'm sure there' something floating out there. I hope this helps a bit.

Also, thanks for your kind words, guys. I don't consider myself to be a creative person, so this made me a little proud. ;D

Ammon

• Team Wildcard
  • Boss
  • UK marketing guy and City of Heroes addict
« Reply #398 on: December 05, 2012, 07:37:10 AM »
Where can I find the numbers on that so I can see them?
In the post you quoted as a link, plus in both posts before yours...

epawtows

• Elite Boss
  • Mechanical Engineer
« Reply #399 on: December 05, 2012, 07:50:34 AM »

/em boggle.

Don't want to sound like a downer here, but are you sure your're not comparing apples and oranges? 

By that I mean:  We know Paragon was doing R&D on future games (that are now dead), so the actual income CoH generated varies depending on if you count that R&D cost against it or not

Is there any chance that the other games (GW, GW2, etc) are also funding a lot of R&D that would make their income seem lower? 

I.E., if we say Paragon was making ~$10mil/year not counting R&D costs, and GW/CG2/whatever also making ~$10mil/year COUNTING their R&D costs, its' not a fair comparison. 

Again, not trying to be a downer, just want to be sure there any math errors are caught here, rather than by a reporter or something like that.