Author Topic: Why Disney and not Valve?  (Read 10866 times)

Erika

• Underling
Why Disney and not Valve?
« on: November 27, 2012, 03:53:22 AM »
First of all, let me just say that I don't really mind who ends up running CoX if it ever gets picked up again.  I just don't get why we want it to be run by a huge megacorp like Disney who might not understand this game's audience as much as another might. 

Meanwhile, Valve's one of few non-evil gaming companies, plus one of the only mainstream developers I can think of that still publishes their own games as well. Plus they have experience running free-to-play games, with both TF2 and DoTA 2 being F2P with a cash shop.  Plus they were one of the companies making an offer months ago.  They made an offer that got turned down, yes, but since then it's been revealed that NC wouldn't be selling until after the 1st, if at all.  So why shouldn't they try again once it's back on the table?

That said, I can see, partly -why- you'd want to pitch it to Disney. Superheroes are at the most popular they've been for years  and it's primarily because of the Marvel Films movies.  Disney's rolling in that MCU money and just diving into it like they're Scrooge McDuck, so why wouldn't they want to get another piece of that superpowered pie, right? They already have a game they're promoting as an MMO, and another in development, so they're not going to want competition for their new baby, even if they're getting the money for all of them. 

And, going back to my point about Valve, I feel like they're more likely to try and piece together the remnants of Paragon than Disney is to try and get their in-house teams to learn how to code the game.

That said, I realize it's probably too late to try and change course, what with all the big name fans supporting the Disney effort, I just wanted to share my 2 inf.

Battle Ant

• Minion
Re: Why Disney and not Valve?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 03:59:32 AM »
If things fall through with Disney, I see no reason not to try Valve.

Sajaana

• Boss
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 04:03:08 AM »
I think both are great options, but I have the sense that Disney would have more of an incentive to develop it or expand upon it.  Valve could develop it more, if they wanted to, but I think they'd be more likely to just distribute it "as is" on their Steam service.

Ammon

• Team Wildcard
  • Boss
  • UK marketing guy and City of Heroes addict
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 04:06:02 AM »
You know that Valve has considerable dealings with Nexon and NCsoft for other games, right?  That may not actually be a help to them, and might be a hindrance.  It gives NCsoft additional leverage, and the fact that NCsoft already turned down an offer from Valve (that was very low, and would still be too low after closure) doesn't help. 

Honestly, I think Valve would have to at least double what they were prepared to offer while the game was alive.  Do you think Valve will value the game twice as highly closed as alive?  If so, they are going to be free to make an offer. 

We already made it known to Valve we'd like them to buy it.  All that's changed is that they now know even Disney might consider it, and that we'll keep going until we run out of people to talk to.

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 04:08:28 AM »
If any western company has the sheer clout to stroll on in and ask NCSoft to sell them something, it would be Disney. Love them or hate them, they are the closest thing to an unstoppable force in the entertainment industry.

Disney has a very good record for taking care of the properties they aquire. Also, as has been pointed out, they would have the funding to expand the game and, perhaps, it's successor.
As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

Quinch

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 04:10:05 AM »
Valve is definitely on the list if the Disney push doesn't succeed. Personally, Valve would be my first choice for a superhero game, but Disney is definitely my first choice for a superhero game. Also, it's a question of success - with Valve, it's a question of can they and will they buy the game. With Disney, it just becomes of will they - if they decide CoH is worth their time, I'm having a problem imagining NCsoft being an immovable object in the face of its unstoppable force.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 04:48:40 AM »
Why.. one main reason for me.. Disney might be the one company who understands the value of the Superhero genre.. and how to market it.. which they have obviously done a pretty good job with already...

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 05:21:26 AM »
Valve is on the list, but we started at the top and are working our way down, rather than working our way up. 

This is why we are going in that direction.  To get Disney's attention, we will need a HUGE response from the players.  We can still get that now.  A month from now, not so much.  Two months from now...three months from now...you guys are going to be worn out.  Tired of sending out letters and getting nothing.

To get Disney's attention, we will also need a HUGE response from the gaming press.  We can still get that now.  A month from now and it will be "It's dead, just drop it and move on to something else why don't you?"  You might have noticed that there are hints of that already in the comments sections.

So, Disney first.  Then we have a second target, almost as big, but one that won't need the gaming press notice.  Then (I expect) Valve.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Osborn

• Boss
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 05:43:07 AM »
I don't know why people think Valve is a charity or some sort of gaming messiah. They're pretty much going down the route that both EA and Activision did when they started up. EA basically was a break away company of guys that were fed up with the publishing arm of their previous jobs, then built their own arm who, god willing, let them to do some of their own terrible practices to its own developers.

Steam might be convenient for the short term, but there's plenty of potential for abuse there, and it's a platform set up to both weaken customer rights in the form of resell and to weaken retail (IE, the job that 75% of us statistically likely have). They're a business, not your friend or lover. Treat them as such.

And that said, I don't know why people think that Valve will, or can, just sweep down and pick up the tab for this. Again, as I said before, they're not a charity.

Valve actually has very good reasons to avoid picking up the property, notably the fact that Steam is currently a provider for both Nexon and Perfect World's MMO's.

I think that's why the rumor that they've tried to save CoH is so persistent despite no evidence to such. The rumor that NCSoft and Nexon are buying out Valve comes up so often, because people like to see them as some sort of saints and love to gnash their teeth in fear over it.

The reason why Disney is a good first pick is because Disney actually has the muscle to take this game and run with it, and the know how with the genre to succeed at it potentially. And I'm not trying to portray them as some sort of gaming messiah either, because they're not.

Chaos Ex Machina

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 07:46:24 AM »
Valve already offered but I suppose we could try to convince them to try again.

Personally I prefer them to any alternatives except fan ownership.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 08:12:32 AM »
Valve already offered but I suppose we could try to convince them to try again.

Personally I prefer them to any alternatives except fan ownership.

That was a rumor that I was completely unable to confirm with my contacts.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Battle Ant

• Minion
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 08:50:54 AM »

Valve actually has very good reasons to avoid picking up the property, notably the fact that Steam is currently a provider for both Nexon and Perfect World's MMO's.

Valve is in direct competition with EA's Origin but still sells EA's products.

Erika

• Underling
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 09:16:35 AM »
Valve is in direct competition with EA's Origin but still sells EA's products.

EA also publishes their console games.

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 01:33:45 PM »
Fixed... there are some notable games that were originally available on Steam but are no longer present (or were never there in the 1st place). Dragon Age 2 was originally on Steam but EA pulled it, Mass Effect 3 never made it onto steam. Battlefield 3, Football Manager, FIFA, Medal Of Honor: Warfighter are the same.
I suspect that if they ever manage to rid Origin of its reputation of being a piece of crap they will use it for all their games instead of Steam (and ensure all the profits stay in house :P)

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2012, 02:40:19 PM »
With the exception of The Sims and a few *non franchise* games, I believe that they are stopping their own titles from going onto Steam, so you will end up at *one point* or another of just having to lump it and take Origin. I have to admit, I have had few issues with Origin, and when I have had them (this was redeeming a code), it was resolved quickly with their customer support.
ME 3 gave me a huge headache, and it took forever to resolve with their customer support.
Including one of their oh so helpful support people closing the chat on me after telling me to just go back to my local store to exchange my bonus content code and without waiting for a reply from me =P
Guess what? There was nothing wrong with the code.
Granted, that was the only time Origin gave me issues, it has worked properly in all other cases.

Battle Ant

• Minion
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2012, 02:41:06 PM »
Fixed... there are some notable games that were originally available on Steam but are no longer present (or were never there in the 1st place). Dragon Age 2 was originally on Steam but EA pulled it, Mass Effect 3 never made it onto steam. Battlefield 3, Football Manager, FIFA, Medal Of Honor: Warfighter are the same.

The point was and still is that EA still sells its products on Steam. So what is stopping Valve from acquiring CoH? Nothing, if they are interested in buying it and NCSoft will sell it.

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2012, 02:46:55 PM »
Sorry did I miss something? Where is the info about Disney being interested in this game?

edit: Ah the thread about sending them letters got it.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 03:51:34 PM by Noyjitat »

Quinch

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2012, 02:51:33 PM »
The point was and still is that EA still sells its products on Steam. So what is stopping Valve from acquiring CoH? Nothing, if they are interested in buying it and NCSoft will sell it.

This is the primary reason we went to Disney first - if Disney is interest, NCsoft won't have a choice. Valve is popular and successful, but Disney - Disney is That One Guy You Don't Want To Cross.

Omega Mark V

• Boss
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2012, 03:03:32 PM »
I agree that Disney should be our first way to go. They're a huge company, and could really make CoH shine.

I REALLY hope the second company isn't EA. <.<

As for Valve, I know they would do well with what CoH is now, but I don't know if they would want to further develop it. Maybe they might, maybe they might not, I don't have the information to say which.

Nonetheless, if Valve would work on it, they would do a great job; as they usually do making games. :)

More importantly: We need to get the game into SOMEONES hands. It doesn't really matter whom at the moment.
- Omega Mk. V

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2012, 03:21:37 PM »
This is the primary reason we went to Disney first - if Disney is interest, NCsoft won't have a choice. Valve is popular and successful, but Disney - Disney is That One Guy You Don't Want To Cross.
I'm not so sure they can make an offer that genuinely can't be refused, but it would make their financials a living nightmare if word got out that they were turning down offers from giants like Disney. It might make them look tough...but it more likely would make them look foolish.

Still, Disney can't force them. They can only make the choice not to sell very, very unattractive.