Author Topic: Why Disney and not Valve?  (Read 10864 times)

Quinch

Re: Why Disney and not Valve?
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2012, 03:25:58 PM »
That's the plan. I mean, their stock price is still desperately trying to claw back up after the dive it took after they published their financials.

If Disney made an offer and NCsoft refused, they wouldn't only be seen as the vandals of the MMO world. They'd become a laughingstock.

Quinch

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2012, 05:26:27 PM »
Not sure where you came up with the $1 idea. I'm not suggesting that Disney blackmails NCsoft. But if Disney made a reasonable offer, and NCsoft refused it {because like we've seen before, they're not above letting pettiness dictate their business decisions} then yes, they'd be laughed out of the market. And while at the end of the day, I still think they value financials above reputation, said reputation would be trashed in front of their customers - whether they care about face or not, losing it publicly is something that would screw with their business something fierce.

Quinch

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2012, 06:14:07 PM »
I understand - I just figured I'd mention that I don't really expect Disney to go in with the intent to trash the deal, since it would hardly benefit them either.

Nafaustu

• Boss
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2012, 06:24:48 PM »
<snip>

I REALLY hope the second company isn't EA. <.<

<snip>

There are worse things, afterall, Ultima Online is still up, community stable, and has a slow but steady content development cycle.    I dislike EA (mostly for forcing Origin, and other money related shady things), but I have to give them this.

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2012, 06:26:09 PM »

I REALLY hope the second company isn't EA. <.<

To put your mind at rest, it's not :)
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

P51mus

• Boss
  • aka Pitho
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2012, 06:31:29 PM »
To put your mind at rest, it's not :)

Warner brothers?  That's the other big entertainment company that's been acquiring game studios lately.

Quinch

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2012, 06:36:09 PM »
Warner brothers?

And the Warner sister?  :roll:

But maybe.

Profit

• Boss
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2012, 06:37:44 PM »
And the Warner sister?  :roll:

+1 internets for you good sir.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2012, 06:39:13 PM »
Dot?
Princess Angelina Contessa Louisa Francesca Banana Fanna Bo Besca the Third
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Profit

• Boss
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2012, 06:51:44 PM »

Oh sure, easy for you to say Mr. United States, Canada, Mexico, Panama.

*storms off*

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2012, 06:59:42 PM »
...but where are we all going to find rubber pants in our size? Poit.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2012, 09:55:12 PM »
We are not allowed to have a mysterious supervillain out to take over the world from within a nondescript laboratory who may or may not be a rodent of some variety.

Axonius

• Minion
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2012, 12:32:27 AM »
Don't forget that it's not just about the payout that NCSoft would receive for the sale.

NCSoft, by selling CoX to Disney, is essentially selling the rights to their product to a competitor or potential competitor.  The last thing NCSoft wants right now is a competitor. This is probably whats tied into the provisions in NCSofts contracts to potential buyers....I'm sure they are willing to sell CoX, but they do not want the game to be a threat to their future business.

I think this is the main reason that there has been no deal. Preventing possible future competition.

unladenswallow

• Lieutenant
  • "Are you suggesting Coconuts Migrate?"
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2012, 01:12:13 AM »
My personal experiences and a little educated guesswork make me think that there maybe one other possible reason that would make Disney a good choice to approach NC Soft. Most of Southeast Asia, China in particular, is absolutely in LOVE with any thing Disney. I was in China for several months back in 2006 in Beijing and around Shanghai and I couldn't go more that a few blocks in any sizable shopping area without seeing a Disney knock off store. When meeting people the most frequent question I was asked outside what was Dallas like (The old prime time soap "Dallas" is still very popular there) was had I ever been to Disneyland. I don't think that I could understate how popular it is over there.

I was in Malaysia a few years later for several months. I didn't see nearly as many knock off Disney stores but quite a bit of knockoff Disney merchandise. Well, to be honest you really have to look around to find something that isn't a knockoff in China and at least some parts of Malaysia but their love of all things Disney is easy to see.

I haven't been to Korea but I've heard that they have a knockoff Disneyland there. Much of Southeast Asia, like Korea, has at least some usually old and very understandable disdain for Western nations given their attempts to dominate parts of Southeast Asia for hundreds of years. However I am aware that most of Korea's disdain for the US stems from the military bases they still have there. If Disney is loved only half as much in Korea as it is in China then it's quite possible that NC Soft would be very hard pressed to say no to them even if they don't think much of the US gaming industry and it's players as they have shown by the way they have treated Paragon Studios and us.
"The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." -Thomas Paine

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2012, 02:11:32 AM »
Don't forget that it's not just about the payout that NCSoft would receive for the sale.

NCSoft, by selling CoX to Disney, is essentially selling the rights to their product to a competitor or potential competitor.  The last thing NCSoft wants right now is a competitor. This is probably whats tied into the provisions in NCSofts contracts to potential buyers....I'm sure they are willing to sell CoX, but they do not want the game to be a threat to their future business.

I think this is the main reason that there has been no deal. Preventing possible future competition.

I can't tell you from what source I know, but this is incorrect.

Fansy's post has all the clues.  His insider intimated that the problem was with "legal liabilities" that would go away once the game was officially closed.  My source corroborates that, adding that the legal liabilities amounted to several pages that no one sane would sign off on.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Osborn

• Boss
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2012, 02:21:36 AM »
I can't tell you from what source I know, but this is incorrect.

Fansy's post has all the clues.  His insider intimated that the problem was with "legal liabilities" that would go away once the game was officially closed.  My source corroborates that, adding that the legal liabilities amounted to several pages that no one sane would sign off on.

Really at this point it sounds like NCSoft fancies itself the Grinch. Like they don't want money, they don't want positive public relations or customer loyalty (which is a means to money, I guess).

They seem to be taking some sort of satisfaction out of killing something that people loved for no real other reason than, pardon the french, evlulz

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2012, 02:25:22 AM »

But call me Dottie and I'll kill ya.
As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2012, 02:36:31 AM »

But call me Dottie and I'll kill ya.

Always wondered what you'd get if you called her princess. :p

Really at this point it sounds like NCSoft fancies itself the Grinch. Like they don't want money, they don't want positive public relations or customer loyalty (which is a means to money, I guess).

They seem to be taking some sort of satisfaction out of killing something that people loved for no real other reason than, pardon the french, evlulz

I don't think that is true. Mechanical apathy, maybe. Intentional evil? Doubt it.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2012, 03:05:06 AM »
I know that this won't probably get an answer, but from your point of view, would the liabilities at least explain as to why the cost was so high, so that even if the cost was *low* to buy the game, there would be serious problems for the buyer?

bingo