Author Topic: Disney mission FAQ  (Read 20637 times)

PrinceRecluse

• Underling
  • PrinceRecluse@gmail.com
    • Remembering Paragon
Re: Disney mission FAQ
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2012, 07:13:59 PM »
Side note:

Dagfirnit

This is my new favorite word. ;)

mikenovember

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2012, 08:21:47 PM »
I hate monopolies.  While Di$ney is not a a monopoly in the traditional sense, owning and controlling 100% of the means of production and distribution of a single, vital industry, they have their fingers in a LOT of different aspects of the entertainment and information industries.  They hold entirely too much influence over individuals, businesses, and government, in a way that no corporation should have no right to do, because of it.

I know that City of Heroes is small enough potatoes compared to any one of the multiple television networks that they own, and my $15/month would not amount to much in comparison.  But I have no desire to give them *any* of my money.

The idea of CoH becoming yet another Di$ney property is repulsive to me.

Everyone has a right to an opinion - and I totally respect yours.  I'm not a fan of monopolies myself.  But I would hardly consider Disney a monopoly.   

Disney has, and this is not all that long ago, sat and looked at bankruptcy.  And not once but twice in my life time this has happend, so seeing them do well now ... well I consider them to be savvy in business, but hardly a monopoly. 

Do they seem to these days have their hands in a lot of pies?  Sure.  The reason they have their hands in a lot of pies is because they were facing bankruptcy because all they focused on was their theme parks and films.  When they managed to drag themselves out of that they learned to diversify as a company.  When they did, they did it in companies they at least understood enough about to do well, or ones they actually had some background in.

Disney is a lot of things.  They fought to keep animation old school longer than any other movie industry company, there's several excellent documentaries out there by former employees that tell that story better than I ever could. 

Yeah, they're everywhere now.   But they as a company know how to take something and bring it back from the brink better than anyone.  They embrace new technology and they tend to leave those who know best in charge of their properties, and they give them the funds to not just be successful but ... yeah, like "Condorman" make some whopping mistakes. 

That's how they got out of their near death the first time, by taking risks and having a little faith in crazy ideas from film makers no one would listen to back then.  Back when they released TRON, everyone thought they'd lost it.  We all talk about Tron but they actually had 6 films in a row, not all of them hits - which were completely outside the "Disney" mold.   They weren't just outside it - they took risks on film makers outside the Disney loop and they trusted them with cash to make something new.  The fact is, they allowed the people they invested in back then to do things their way.  Seems to be the philosophy there now as well. 

My thoughts are this, if I won the big PowerBall - I'd have bought CoH and given it to Paragon Studios with enough cash to make CoH2 and said, "Boys ... go make as much money as you can!". 

But I didn't. 

So I'll go with who ever can help save this game, this community, this group of people I've come to love. 

When your child needs a kidney to live, you don't tell donors, "Man, I'd take the kidney but... I saw you pull up in a limo, and I just don't like rich people.". 
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 08:27:32 PM by mikenovember »

Lydiastar

• Minion
  • @Syntaxically on twitter
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2012, 02:17:57 AM »
I think it was a fair choice. Thank you for your work.

Vasarto

• Boss
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2012, 10:28:21 AM »
I am gonna give it a try.

Paindancer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2012, 07:49:04 PM »
personally, I think it is a brilliant move and can be tremendous PR to boot.

Further, it would be a simple transition to move the game over to include Marvel crossovers.
@vengeance mk2

The iReport:  http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-838027
(read it, share it, recommend it)

Vasarto

• Boss
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2012, 03:29:40 AM »
Since they own marvel we can thank them for how awesome The Avengers Movie was!

plasma

• Underling
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2012, 08:28:40 PM »

Cagney

• Underling
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2012, 02:02:17 AM »
Whilst I understand you cannot divulge certain information you have and the document contain,
is it not possible to remove such information and then allow for us to have a read?

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2012, 05:51:10 AM »
Whilst I understand you cannot divulge certain information you have and the document contain,
is it not possible to remove such information and then allow for us to have a read?

Darlin', the problem is it would look like an old WW2 censored letter.  The "do not divulge" stuff is deeply entwined through most of the document.  We'd also have to remove stuff where you could guess what was said from the content around the redacted part.  When we got done it would make no sense; more holes than a swiss cheese.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2012, 05:53:44 AM »
Darlin', the problem is it would look like an old WW2 censored letter.  The "do not divulge" stuff is deeply entwined through most of the document.  We'd also have to remove stuff where you could guess what was said from the content around the redacted part.  When we got done it would make no sense; more holes than a swiss cheese.

And not half as tasty :(
Woo! - Argent Girl

mikoroshi

• Boss
  • Author, Owner of Dogs
    • My Twitter
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2012, 05:57:33 AM »

Mmm delicious corporate cheese...
If you see me posting here, you need to tell me to stop it and get back to writing.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2012, 07:20:50 AM »
I love declassified Area 51 documents.  8)

Quinch

« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2012, 02:32:29 PM »
Basically what VV said - pretty much everything fit to print was covered in the press release. The rest, well... it would be dots to connect into a full picture. If there's a group of people capable of making connections between bits and pieces of information, it would be either gamers or superhero nerds. And since most of us tend to be both, I'm sure you understand why we're so paranoid about saying anything more than we're absolutely sure is safe.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2012, 03:42:07 PM »
We also keep secrets about as well as a room full of third graders... :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."